• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

yacobod

Banned
wow shogun vs tito. a fighter vs a personality. what an exciting matchup. tito is going to put over shogun, like he did for rashad.

yacobod

Banned
didn't AKA have a huge beef with hughes back in the day? kind of makes sense why kos is so excited to fight hughes, besides being an easy W.

Heel

Let's be honest, Ortiz should be fighting Franklin on the retirement circuit at this point. Setup Shogun vs. Hendo for NYE.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
everyone's favorite athlete is on yahoo
http://sports.yahoo.com/

pWYr4.png

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
polyh3dron said:
Ouch, that's a big hit to the Denver PPV.

It's funny that the last Versus card and this upcoming Strikeforce card are much more stacked than a couple upcoming UFC PPVs (Denver and San Jose)
Hyperbole much? I'd rather watch Jon Jones fight than Chris Lytle any day of the week. The top 3 fights in Denver are compelling, and the top two have possible title implications, compared to watching Jim Miller who nobody cares about. The Vs card was fun to watch, but they were all gatekeepers. And the San Jose card is so far out we don't know the ME yet.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
yacobod said:
quote appropriate that it's a workout article and nothing about fighting.

men's fitness cover model confirmed.
2hovjok.jpg

I don't think that Shogun/Tito fight is happening. That's a waste of time for both guys.

I don't know, it seems like a good matchup for Tito... Out of all the guys in the upper echelon of the 205 division I think stylistically Shogun would be the best fight for him.

I think it'd be a tough fight for Shogun, too tough of a fight with not enough of a reward if he wins IMO. If he wins then whoop-de-frickin-doo, he beat yet another over the hill UFC guy who got lucky against Bader. I guess it depends on the way he wins too, if it's just some brutal one-sided demolition then yeah, I guess Tito would put him over.

dream

Chamber said:
2hovjok.jpg

I don't think that Shogun/Tito fight is happening. That's a waste of time for both guys.

It will sell tickets. Have we learnt nothing from the Baka Survivor Shinya Aoki-san?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
polyh3dron said:
I don't know, it seems like a good matchup for Tito... Out of all the guys in the upper echelon of the 205 division I think stylistically Shogun would be the best fight for him.

I think it'd be a tough fight for Shogun, too tough of a fight with not enough of a reward if he wins IMO. If he wins then whoop-de-frickin-doo, he beat yet another over the hill UFC guy who got lucky against Bader. I guess it depends on the way he wins too, if it's just some brutal one-sided demolition then yeah, I guess Tito would put him over.
Exactly. And Tito with another loss is back on the cut line. The potential risk/reward really isn't there for either guy in that match up.

The way too obvious match up for Shogun is Hendo since both guys can claim to be next in line after Rashad.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i guess they want to build shogun back up a bit with easy fights after he got wrecked so brutally. be kinda weird to tap to strikes and then be in a title eliminator two fights later but then again

Chamber

love on your sleeve
205 isn't a deep division. Rashad beat Thiago and then got a #1 contender match after he got murdered by Machida. Rampage lost to Rashad and then beat Machida and Hamill to get a title shot.

Heel

dream said:
It will sell tickets. Have we learnt nothing from the Baka Survivor Shinya Aoki-san?

Would it be any more of a draw than Ortiz vs. Franklin to the people who care? I don't see the point. You can create more interesting fights for both Tito and Shogun if they don't fight each other.

If they do this match up they clearly want Shogun to drive a nail into the coffin. The one Bader missed.

yacobod

Banned
Chamber said:
205 isn't a deep division. Rashad beat Thiago and then got a #1 contender match after he got murdered by Machida. Rampage lost to Rashad and then beat Machida and Hamill to get a title shot.

it really isn't. i mean it wouldn't have been crazy to say tito would have been in title contention had he beat rashad.

you have

jones
rampage
shogun
machida
evans

and everyone else (tito, lil nog, phil davis, bader, forrest, etc). 205 is strong with names and personalities, but i don't think a lot of the guys i listed are real contenders.

WrikaWrek

Banned
yacobod said:
Real talk: What ruleset do you think is beneficial for providing more exciting fights? The PrideFC ruleset or the current UFC unified rules. And Why?

I think the Pride ruleset is better because it actually encourages the guys to fight, and by virtue rewards the more aggressive fighter. I think overall it provides a more exciting fight and naturally leads to more finishes.

Nick Diaz breaks it down here. Fast forward to like 90 seconds.

Nick Diaz spit truth.

yacobod

Banned
that's awesome there is definitely some cross pollination going on over here. any of you guys posting on mma-junkie?

i might have to go to vegas for 137, the card is crazy stacked.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Kabuki Waq said:
wait did Nick Diaz actually lose to Deigo at some point?

man i need to find this fight

Nick Diaz didn't lose a fight, he lost an athletic competition. ;)

yacobod

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
wait did Nick Diaz actually lose to Deigo at some point?

man i need to find this fight

ya he lost a decision. was a great fight. i havent seen it in some time. nick was on the wrong side of some decisions in his first stint in the ufc.

SnakeXs said:
Nick Diaz didn't lose a fight, he lost an athletic competition. ;)

:)

Jake.

yacobod said:
Real talk: What ruleset do you think is beneficial for providing more exciting fights? The PrideFC ruleset or the current UFC unified rules. And Why?

I think the Pride ruleset is better because it actually encourages the guys to fight, and by virtue rewards the more aggressive fighter. I think overall it provides a more exciting fight and naturally leads to more finishes.

Nick Diaz breaks it down here. Fast forward to like 90 seconds.

pride, just because more is allowed, and as you said aggression is heavily favoured. judging a whole fight over individual rounds is much more efficient (i think) too. the only thing i never liked about it (and a huge gripe i have with dream) is that wrestling shoes, gi's etc are allowed.

Bishman

yacobod said:
honestly I used yahoo's list because i thought it was a better list. why in the world is jon "cigarette break" ranked in the top 5? why is jake shields in the top 10 after his stink bomb against gsp? either way i will be updating the top 10 p4p list every month as it gets refreshed. same with the champions section and upcoming cards. at least i will try to keep it updated as long as i'm around.
The only person Fitch and Jake Shields have lost to is GSP. Since 2002, Fitch was undefeated since 2002. Let me repeat that again - 2002. Then he lost a decision to GSP and hasn't lost since then. The same thing applies with Shields.

Fitch and Shields have beaten everyone in front of them not named GSP and you are saying you don't agree that they are pound for pound?

CaptYamato said:
If I get my financial aid I will either go to the GSP fight or Fox card in L.A.
I'm hitting up both, SO HYPED.

Anyone who goes needs to make sure they get there the Friday morning for the Q&A + weigh ins and then come to the Fight Club meetup afterwards which will probably be in the House Of Blues inside Mandalay.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
sien916 said:
Great new video from StillWill up on YouTube.

Collision: Hari vs. Overeem

The UFC production team should take some notes from this guy.

this brought a tear to my eye- truly an epic K-1 rivalry. Its too bad we'll probably never get a chance to see a rubber match between the two now that Badr Hari left the K-1 stage for a different set of gloves in boxing.

just read about UFC planning to run a show in Japan next February.

10 am local start is some kind of joke. Talk about not giving it damn about the local fans.

No major Japanese draw and no decent TV deal. This show has no chance of being a success!

kobashi100 said:

10 am local start is some kind of joke. Talk about not giving it damn about the local fans.

No major Japanese draw and no decent TV deal. This show has no chance of being a success!
Akiyama is dropping to welterweight, KID will most likely be fighting on the card, Big Nog will probably want to be on this card, Hatsu Hioki too if he beats Roop (maybe for a title shot), Omigawa, Shogun or Wand could possibly get a spot... There will be more Japanese draws on this card than on most DREAM events. Yeah, they may not be able to land Bob Sapp or Andy Olugun, but they'll do okay.

Jake.

kobashi100 said:

if they throw enough money at saku/FEG he'll probably fight - then the fans will come. i'm sure crocop or shogun would want to be on the card too. either way, i'm interested to see if it'd be at the saitama super arena or somewhere else.

From what I've read they've been working on booking Saitama for a while now. As for Saku, there is no way the UFC will put him on this card. He's a walking corpse and has been ever since Wand and Arona beat him to a pulp.

The UFC is putting a show on in Japan, but it doesn't mean they're going to do Japanese-style matchmaking.

Jake.

of course he's a corpse, but he would still pull the most jp fans. i presume dana knows this, and FEG loves not spending money, so....

You know as well as I that if they have to deal with FEG to get Saku then there's no deal. That's not the way the UFC does business.

Oh yeah and The Reem, almost forgot. Dude is a star over there after his K-1 GP win. He did a crazy press tour for that. So don't give me this "there won't be any Japanese stars there" line because that's malarkey.

polyh3dron said:
Akiyama is dropping to welterweight, KID will most likely be fighting on the card, Big Nog will probably want to be on this card, Hatsu Hioki too if he beats Roop (maybe for a title shot), Omigawa, Shogun or Wand could possibly get a spot... There will be more Japanese draws on this card than on most DREAM events. Yeah, they may not be able to land Bob Sapp or Andy Olugun, but they'll do okay.

none of the names you mentioned can draw big in Japan anymore.

DREAM also has no draws and it is why they are struggling big time at the moment. Then there is the 10am start. Seriously, what kind of madness is that! Never seen a a Japanese MMA/Pro-wrestling organization book a show for 10am.

10am at the SSA is fucked up!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
They better fucking hire Lenne Hardt to do the fighter intros. If the Strikeforce contract is over by then, I'd love to see them do Joshu Barnetto vs Overeem.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Poody said:
this brought a tear to my eye- truly an epic K-1 rivalry. Its too bad we'll probably never get a chance to see a rubber match between the two now that Badr Hari left the K-1 stage for a different set of gloves in boxing.
What?! Badr is done with Kickboxing? NOOOOUUUUU!!!

bone_and_sinew said:
He was supposed to fight Daniel Ghita this weekend too if he hadn't gone to boxing ;...;
What a waste.
All about the money huh? A shame really.

People keep fantisizing about a GSP vs Silva matchup. GSP is a lean machine in his division, why would he want to put on weight to fight a striker who is taller and has a longer reach?

I know its dumb basic question, but I don't see how this is an attractive proposition for GSP.

Top Bottom