• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
september 2007 egm review scores. it's the issue with all the halo 3 info:

lair: 6.0, 5.5, 5.0
crispin says the combat system is confusing, and the sixaxis controls don't always work the way they should. lock-on system is also jacked.
greg ford says the camera is frustrating in ground combat. the wide open levels hold a lot of potential but ultimately don't deliver
garnett says it's a "frustrating disappointment" with a few bright spots

mario strikers charged: 7.5, 7.5, 7.5
it's not really a soccer game so much as a hockey game with a soccer-like sheen. it's got body-checking, etc. it's "messier," in that it's more chaotic and arcadey than the gcn game. the new "sidekicks" are awesome, and have their own special moves. the motion-sensing controls add to the gameplay, not f*** it up. "over the top but balanced gameplay"

all pro football: 6.5, 6.5, 7.0
ncaa football 2008: 8.5, 9.0, 8.5
stuntman ignition: 7.5, 7.5, 7.0
dynasty warriors gundam: 6.5, 5.5, 5.0
nascar 08: 6.5, 6.5, 6.5
blue dragon: 6.5, 7.5, 6.5
it has neither strong characters nor gripping storytelling, the battle system is "stellar" but unaccompanied by any sort of interesting plot to hang your hat on. bryan is a bit easier on the story than andrew fitch (who had the lead review), and ray called it "safe."

persona 3: 8.5, 9.5, 9.5 game of the month
on the battle system, they say they're "speedy," and that the magic system is "deeply customizable." this game also has a lot of stuff in a school, though--you spend your days trying to score some tail and making new friends, answering class questions, etc. but they say it's a very good thing. also they say the soundtrack is excellent. "all-around awesome"

guitar hero rocks the 80s: 7.5, 6.0, 6.0
garnett says the biggest problem with the game is the most obvious problem with any music game: the music selection. a little too all over the board to really satiate anyone's tastes. crispin says the gameplay is starting to feel tired--jennifer disagrees, but with the caveat that the gameplay is only fun if the music is good. she says it's not.

jeanne d'arc: 8.0, 7.0, 8.0
a plot that doesn't drag, interesting characters, great cut-scenes. owes some gameplay debt to final fantasy tactics and fire emblem, but incorporates interesting twists like turn limits and character transformations to keep things fresh. jeremy says it's a bit simplified though, and bits of the story (particularly the historical aspects) bothered him, and made some of the characters feel cartoony. overall pretty positive reviews though.

picross ds: 8.5, 8.0, 8.0
touch screen interface works great. includes a daily challenge option that is also really cool. one of the best puzzle games available.

brain age 2: 8.0, 7.0, 6.0
heroes of mana: 7.5, 5.5, 6.0
luminous arc: 5.5, 6.0, 6.0
shamelessly borrows stuff from ff tactics advance, so if you like that and can't wait for ffta2, you might enjoy this. feels cheap (shitty music, ugly menus, dumb story). touch screen control is screwy. gameplay is way too simplistic for strategy rpg vets.

METROID PRIME 3 PREVIEW summary:
- exploration will play a key role, but there will be more shooting. they describe the "lock-on free shooting" that's been covered in many e3 previews. it's allowed developers to make battles more vertically oriented, which egm says works well
- so far, wii controls only add to the experience, not detract.
- the ship plays a big part in the game. acts as a mobile save station you can call to certain parts of a level. aerial combat is hinted at by a few options inside the ship, but nothing confirmed.
- no samus talking, aka confirmation of god's existence

rumors:

- level 5 is going to announce 4 new rpgs at tokyo game show
- squeenix to start remaking dragon quest games starting with dq4 on ds
- microsoft is funnelling all the best 360 parts to the elite model, which is why lower models crap out more
- next def jam game will be better than icon. ea knows it sucked
- io interactive (kane and lynch) making a kids' game
- next james bond game will use call of duty 4 engine

NEXT MONTH: SILENT HILL 5 cover story, with reviews of heavenly sword, battalion wars 2, eternal sonata, castlevania dracula x chronicles, and i'm presuming bioshock since it's in the wrap-up section, along with madden 2008, brave story, and boogie

if anyone has any further questions or wants some elaboration on the particulars, you need only ask. BEELZEBOZO AT YOUR SERVICE

all pro football: 6.5, 6.5, 7.0

let me guess, they marked it down cause it doesn't have a crappy franchise mode (which all of the NFL 2k's had, a broken horrible franchise mode)? grade the game on what is there, and let people know what isn't there! APF is easily an 8.0-8.5 game, with the negative marks coming on the defensive user control. oh well, not much you can do :(

Hell, I don't play games and I'm still gonna buy 3-4 from that list. I don't give a damn what anyone says about BD...it will be mine. If I get a PSP/PS3, that number goes up further.

Damn this hobby.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ouch at Lair, Blue Dragon did less than expected and an ATLUS game as game of the month!?!??! (I'm shocked and happy)

Wollan

Low reviews all around seemingly. Lair bomba. BD not so well. Jeanne D'Arc getting a 7.0 (it's a Level 5 game).

Persona 3 received a 8.5 at Gamespot as well, I guess it's the real deal.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Pretty unsurprising. I was hoping for better with Lair, but obviously it was not to be. At least in EGM.

Treo360

From reading various impressions on the net Blue Dragon's score is pretty much about where I'd expected it to be. Lair? Now that's on review I can't wait to read.

Johnas

beelzebozo,

can we get some comments for Blue Dragon? Since you offered your services. Thanks for the thread.

Edit: Beaten, but still.

I wouldnt read too much into these reviews. EGMs scores have become pretty much the lowest around and are usually about a full point lower than most other reviews. Still doesnt make Lair and Blue Dragon disappointing.

Can we get rumors too please.

soco

can you tell us what they said about Lair?

BD i think is pretty evident, but i wouldn't mind hearing it as well.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Blue Dragon = :lol

I have never been more bored, disapointed, pissed off at a demo. I guess it is a final representation of the full game.

Lobster

Banned
beelzebozo said:
september 2007 egm review scores. it's the issue with all the halo 3 info:

mario strikers charged: 7.5, 7.5, 7.5

if anyone has any further questions or wants some elaboration on the particulars, you need only ask. BEELZEBOZO AT YOUR SERVICE

Outrageous :( Maybe you truly need to be not American to like soccer.

Bebpo

Banned
Meh, Lair probably sucks but considering that they gave it the same score as my GoTY Gundam Musou...I'll take it with a grain of salt.

edit* WTF AT BLUE DRAGON?!!

Oh boy, I guess once again no one in the US like the traditional jrpg, even if it's REALLY GOOD
. @_@

Sean

Banned
Lair score is not surprising at all really.... Factor 5 makes great looking games but they were never that good at gameplay IMO.

Blue Dragon is lower then expected, I thought the impressions from the JP version were mostly positive.

I thought this issue was supposed to have the BioShock review, wasn't it?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
JB1981 said:
Beezle: What were their main gripes with Lair?

the universal complaint from crispin, greg ford, and garnett were glitchy motion controls in the air, and an incompetent camera on the ground.

What did they say about Blue Dragon?

that it has neither strong characters nor gripping storytelling, the battle system is "stellar" but unaccompanied by any sort of interesting plot to hang your hat on. bryan is a bit easier on the story than andrew fitch (who had the lead review), and ray called it "safe."

SantaC

factor5 am fail

edit: lol at outsourced spinoff mario playing soccer beating the big profile games :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
bioshock is in the reviews wrap-up. looks like it won't be reviewed until next issue, but they say it's f***-awesome.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's a joke. Lair got 9, 8.5, 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom