• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon HD 6870 and HD 6850 benchmarks

THE:MILKMAN

Jin34 said:
9 inch length I believe, 10.5 for the 6870, don't know about the height though.

Sounds good! Cheers..........Think the 6850 is the one then.

Looking at the benchmarks @1080p, it is on some games 2x faster than the 5770 for ~£15 more.(@Ebuyer)

DieH@rd

Banned
golem said:
When will the 5970 replacement drop
December. 6990.

Crossfire scores
rez.jpg

Shai-Tan

Banned
Will the 3d on the cards be available at launch and will it support regular 3d televisions? It would be nice to consolidate my 3d movies/ps3/pc on one display. I'm on nvidia currently and the cost of the 3d kit is too much for me to justify only for pc games on top of sli to get it running at a good frame rate (already play the games on the tv in 2d via hdmi/usb through the walls)

Deathcraze said:
My 8800gt is failing and needs to be replaced and I wouldn't have to fiddle with PSU wires if I went for a 6850 instead of a GTX 460 so that is pretty enticing to me. My only worry is I've always used Nvidia cards in my PCs and I'm not used to ATI/AMDs drivers which don't always receive the best of plaudits.

6850 is cheaper on ebuyer unless I'm missing something obvious.

I'm already seeing the 460 priced below $200 in newegg.com. The last time one of my computers had an ATI graphics card was back in 2002. How much worse are the AMD drivers? Just from reading the forums AMD doesn't always get the best rep in that respect.

Lasthope106 said:
I'm already seeing the 460 priced below $200 in newegg.com. The last time one of my computers had an ATI graphics card was back in 2002. How much worse are the AMD drivers? Just from reading the forums AMD doesn't always get the best rep in that respect.

You should visit the nvidia support forums. Both companies deliver good drivers, sometimes they deliver a so-so one, then fixes in the next versions.

Jin34

Another thing I hadn't thought about is that these are on launch drivers, in a few months these cards will perform even better. No wonder they didn't care about lowering the 5800 series prices, they knew they had the 460 beaten already with these cards and just wanted to squeeze every cent out of the old cards.

52club

Looking forward to my next build. I'm still rocking an oc'd q6600 with a GTX 275, with new cpus with new sockets due at beginning of 2011 I'll be upgrading at that time. It is nice to see the prices dropping on these video cards.

Mudkips

Banned
darthbob said:
No. The 68xx series is AMD's mid range product this cycle. 69xx is their high end 'flagship'.

This is still retarded, however, as the x8xx GPUs have been their flagships for ages.
If the 6950 comes out as the flasgship, we only have the 6970 name for the speed bump, and the 6990 version for the dual GPU version.

OEMs will end up branding their top-of-the line models shit like "6995 SSC+ MAX", and when the refreshes it, we'll get "6995 SSC+ MAX v2" or some shit.

Xavien

Ryoma-Echizen said:
You should visit the nvidia support forums. Both companies deliver good drivers, sometimes they deliver a so-so one, then fixes in the next versions.

Atleast Nvidia has reps on their forums, AMD forums have no reps to be seen anywhere.

As for me, I brought a 5970 before (GTX 460s now), I don't think I'll be going AMD again until they seriously improve their software.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Solstice said:
Pretty impressive. What's the price point on these guys again?
I don't see what's so impressive. The 6870 barely beats out the 5850, which launched at $259 over a year ago. I'm not impressed at all, unless it overclocks like a banshee.

derder

SapientWolf said:
I don't see what's so impressive. The 6870 barely beats out the 5850, which launched at $259 over a year ago. I'm not impressed at all, unless it overclocks like a banshee.
was then sold out for a couple months then rereleased at $289 when nvidia had no response and now sells for $260
edit: plus this just an attack on the gtx460/470, which the 5850 and 5870 were not

JoeFu said:

$180 and $240

Nice work AMD, its not as if its a paradigm shift in price:performance but those are both fantastic deals. Makes it impossible to recommend a GTX 460 1GB or GTX 470 now. If the 768MB GTX 460 really does settle into the <$150 category as it seems to be doing, then that will still have a place in the market.

SapientWolf said:

The 5850 was never a $260 card in reality. It was a $300 card throughout its life. This is offering a good boost above that for $60 less. Its not earth shattering, but its welcome all the same.

Looking pretty good... I probably won't be rushing to get one right away, but I can definitely see myself grabbing a 6850 once it hits a nice sale.

Hopefully we see more of a price war this time around. I'd love to see a return to the 4800-series' frequency in price drops.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
derder said:
was then sold out for a couple months then rereleased at $289 when nvidia had no response and now sells for $260
That, to me, is far more impressive. That's the price I paid for the card at launch, and it's one of the few times I haven't regretted being an early adopter.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
SapientWolf said:

the 6870 is going to fill the slot the 5770 and 5830 held, this card seems to be on the 5850 and 5870 level however for less money and this is just a refresh not a new product, actually pretty impressive. With fusion coming soon ...these may be the new bottom for AMD this level of performance may be the new mainstream - budget cards because Llano and bobcat can provide plenty of performance in those segments. Thats great no more crippled cards with flashy boxes that are good for playing solitaire and watching some dvds.

The Cayman cards coming next month and the 580GTX are what you are interested in im guessing. They should have a significant boost as the Cayman adds to the 5000 series and the rumored 580 GTX is supposed to be fermi in its full potential. Heres hoping we get a great leap and near parity between the two, better for us :D :D :D

DEO3

Which card in these benchmarks is the best equivalent to a 4870? That's what I'm running now, but since it's not listed it's hard for me to really compare.

Fredescu

DEO3 said:
Which card in these benchmarks is the best equivalent to a 4870? That's what I'm running now, but since it's not listed it's hard for me to really compare.
A little under the 5770, but the 4870 is listed in some of them. It's a bit of a mish mash of cards.

burgerdog

Dreams-Visions said:
^ which brand did you go with?

sweet. I might go with the 6850, then. I can avoid upgrading my PSU. I think...
Gigabyte, only because my mobo is the same brand. I honestly have no idea if some are better than others.

DaBuddaDa

Fredescu said:
A little under the 5770, but the 4870 is listed in some of them. It's a bit of a mish mash of cards.
The 4870 is actually a little above the 5770 most of the time. By little I mean a frame or two or three.

I always buy XFX cards, but their 6870 is $40 more expensive for some reason. No clue why!?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
DEO3 said:
The HD 5770 is what you should look at to correlate with the 4870. A 4890 is similar to the GTX270.

DaBuddaDa said:
The 4870 is actually a little above the 5770 most of the time. By little I mean a frame or two or three.

I always buy XFX cards, but their 6870 is $40 more expensive for some reason. No clue why!?

They think people will buy at that price. At least on the HD6850 Gigabyte offers a dual fan model.

14-125-348-TSS300W.jpg

Tiduz

Eurogaime
maybe i should go asus since i have a asus mobo... altho all my 3d cards so far have been MSI... hrm

Lasthope106 said:
Ohh man, the nvidia fanboy inside of me just died. I want a 6870.

How big are these cards? My case doesn't have space to fit the really long 12 inch cards.

6870 has the same length of the 5850.
9.5"/24cm

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Fredescu said:
You don't really need to. Go for whatever has the best warranty and/or free games.

yeah true, id like to go with the best noise/cooling ratio, free games wont hurt either :D

I am so getting a 6870. Seems like a great jump from a 4850. Then when I do my build mid next year or a year later I'll just Xfire 2 of them.

Fredescu

Shambles said:
Here's a real review from HardOCP
Nice. Looking forward to their 6870 vs GTX470 article.

"We will be performing a 6870 vs. GTX 470 evaluation very soon to find out exactly how this compares. Expect it next week. Quite frankly, NVIDIA caught us off guard with its massive GTX 470 price drops today and we just did not have time to load in the comparison. Actually though, it is probably worth its own article considering how long it has been since we looked at GTX 470 gaming. With this current price drop it has become incredibly attractive. TigerDirect had the Galaxy GTX 470 today for $220, and you guessed it, those sold out quickly. "

Top Bottom