• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Forza Motorsport 5 has fewer cars and tracks than Forza 4

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Lock if old

"Some of the tracks needed updating," said Greenawalt. "Some of them needed light updating, and some of them needed heavy updating. Silverstone, for example, was a complete recapture. Several of our tracks were just plain wrong, either because they were poorly captured and technology's moved on, or the track's changed like Silverstone.

"We're grading the tracks on what state they're in, and if they didn't make the grade they were gone. For me it was less about do I want to deliver this or want to deliver that, I wanted to deliver the next-generation quality - and that meant having the shaders, and the imperfections in the concrete. And the easiest way to get those is to laser scan the track, as that captures those imperfections. We had old references on tracks where if the tracks we had were close we were able to go back to the old reference and recreate that imperfection. By definition that means these tracks take more time than ever."

"We're looking at laser scanning of everything moving forward - that's what it comes down to," Greenawalt said of Turn 10's approach. "We want that to be the standard for next-generation. Our goal's not to carry old content over - and even with all the cars, we did the same process. There were some inaccuracies, and some cars were old-spec that we'd updated from Forza 2 to 3 to 4. But they didn't have the poly count where we wanted it - and they weren't as easy to up-res, so we just recaptured them. Some of them, the spec was good and we could add polygons where we needed them. So it came down to this rating system - and any track or car that wasn't an A grade got either chucked or recaptured."

"We found that we ship a game that has over 200 cars, and they're all to this level of detail with huge diversity. It's been a successful program for us, having the paid DLC. Those that don't want it don't have to get it, and those that want it can buy it. The season pass allows them to buy it as a subscription."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...sport-5-has-less-cars-and-tracks-than-forza-4

Let me put this through the PR descrambler real quick

???

ibcwEzn2XHddRy.gif

paskowitz

In fairness, it is a launch title and people should have expected this.

Second, considering how absolute crap FM1-4's track accuracy was/is, I think it is better they properly recreate each track.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Forza Motorsport 5's season pass costs some $50, and allows access to six monthly add-ons that feature 10 cars each. It's not an uncommon practice for the series, but is it good value? "The response has been good. That's not to say everyone's been happy about it. It's just to say that the response with people that have been buying it and redeeming it, it's one thing to buy it but if it's a season pass it's whether or not you log in every month to get it. People have been making the purchase and then logging in. It's kind of like the whole gym membership thing - you buy 6 months and you never go. With the season passes, people redeem it, so we're keeping people playing for 6 months."

Uh huh.

There's hope that some of those missing tracks will make their way to Forza Motorsport 5 - indeed there's a rumour that the Nurburgring is shaping up for release early next year - but there's no commitment from Turn 10 just yet. "We're looking at what we're going to add as DLC. Obviously we're committed to cars - that's something we do very well. We're looking at tracks as well to see what we can do there."

They're charging for the ring, aren't they? Wow. WOW.

Metfanant

part of me says kudos to them for going quality over quantity...something that Polyphony could learn a lesson from...HOWEVER...the way they talk about the DLC for this game, you know they are just sitting on a large quantity of cars and tracks that were ready for launch but would rather get that DLC money

The season pass is for cars only, not tracks right? That's the main killer, Forza has always had a paltry selection compared to Gran Turismo and instead of expanding they've cut the amount down to 14 :/ Game does look great though, and one imagines Forza 6 will have a greatly expanded selection.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Seems like it would just be best to wait for Forza 6.

I can deal with 200 cars, but only having 14 tracks is absolutely dreadful for a $60 racing game.

Between the extreme lack of tracks and the huge day 1 patch, it's clear that this game is getting rushed out the door regardless of whether it should or not. And this is assuming that the game functions properly.

Just spend $50 extra and you get the cars you are missing from Forza 4.

Then you're up to 250. Forza 4 had over 500. And you're still missing a bunch of tracks.

"We found that we ship a game that has over 200 cars, and they're all to this level of detail with huge diversity. It's been a successful program for us, having the paid DLC. Those that don't want it don't have to get it, and those that want it can buy it. The season pass allows them to buy it as a subscription."

OYDxDS2.jpg

Also... damage control / PR articles need to stop.

Honey Bunny

Casualties include Suzuka, Infineon Raceway and, perhaps most notably, the Nurburgring and its famously torturous 12.93 mile long Nordschleife configuration. They're victim, Turn 10's creative director Dan Greenawalt told Eurogamer, to the level of detail required in Forza's next-gen vision.

Pretty awful next-gen vision for a sim racer, then.

I get that it's difficult to create content-rich launch titles though, so if they release the Nurb as free DLC it's a non-issue...

tbm24

Excellent Pilkington use, 10/10

Yeah, this excuse doesn't fly with me. If you're making less content because you're a launch game, that's fine. But don't excuse it with a mountain of paid DLC.
As someone who is looking forward to buying Forza 5 sometime in the near future, if the content like tracks aren't there id at least like to buy the dam nurburgring.

It sounds to me that the product was rushed, and that they scrambled to update tracks and when they didn't meet the deadline, they were cut.

My initial takeaway from this is that it adds just a bit more credence to Cboat's claim that the Xbox One was meant for 2014.

Top Bottom