• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcosis - Deep Sea Horror Game releasing on March 28th; gets new Trailer/Screens

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Narcosis launches on Steam, Oculus and Xbox One on March 28th, 2017 for $19.99.

Narcosis New Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMEF5CCxt8

Narcosis Steam Page

For those who know nothing about the game, it stars a man who becomes trapped deep in the pacific ocean. It is sunless, he is alone stranded on the seafloor with low light, only a few tools, and needs to find a way in his industrial diving suit to surface above water as both his oxygen and sanity begin to give out.

This game started as a student project but has been in the works for a few years and releases at the end of this month. There were some new screens as well which I'll post here:

ss_455fc9dede2255e55eca970d4e4fba0237f8fa46.1920x1080.jpg
ss_9868356d3858db923d9601a692c35c3b9666ef32.1920x1080.jpg
ss_e5b1268255ed9c46af9c96d2510b482f68f3c521.1920x1080.jpg
ss_57cbea17f19e2973db620c9ce8a741afa0468a35.1920x1080.jpg
ss_1a6c7aacc323c823ce4c147e53c00279d28abdd9.1920x1080.jpg
ss_1c8cd782924face9290a7f4a9eca53795f7f9848.1920x1080.jpg
ss_270fcbb67c0c3992884d0d783f4034c2ba49dbce.1920x1080.jpg
ss_f6fb836d0b0435825407ceccc54aa59d2edb4ab3.1920x1080.jpg
ss_4b75340a3c2a79df0fa8f0d8b392783d6496fd6f.1920x1080.jpg
ss_4f5ed7d24b69dc7bee9d9004fc9870d928cb9251.1920x1080.jpg
ss_bf3feeaad6a43cc64a2c3675a624fdbcc9afa437.1920x1080.jpg
ss_a4bc34a32f8f0e577a733336a3f4cd0c2cc44839.1920x1080.jpg

Dusk Golem

Those aren't monsters, that's just normal sea life.

Which is way more terrifying.

Yup, one of their big goals was to explore more of the horrors of the deep sea, though there is a sanity angle also being played here. Deep Sea Horror does need more exploring, and happy the game is both close to release but also looks like it's really shaped up.

Will follow and try to support because I want to see more games with these kind of underwater settings. Would be great if this where a space mission where you where exploring an alien water planet and things went wrong. Or a lovecraftian underwater exploration/character action game in the vein of dark souls. But I'll take it.

This is my jam man.

hughesta

Banned
This seems fantastic, would love to give this a go someday. Loved SOMA and would adore more games with this setting.

v1lla21

Thanks for sharing this! I'm loving the fact that we've been getting more deep sea or ocean related games as of late. It's one of my favorite "untapped" areas in games.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
"Pressure Kills: High-stress situations accelerate oxygen intake, distorting sight, sound, space and time."

What a smart idea for perception changes and "freak out" moments in a horror game. After years of Eternal Darkness, various Lovecraft, and other "otherworld madness" changing reality, an actual realistic excuse for it makes me smile.

Jhoan

Finally the game that Indie Jeff Mattas of ex-Weekend Confirmed fame spoke about voicing on DLC is almost out. That guy had a cool voice fit for VA. I remember Garnet Lee praising it once for the atmosphere and the voice over based on the demo he played. It looks pretty cool and spooky.

Stiler

SOMA was my GOTY for 2015 so definitely checking out this game.

We need more ocean/underwater settings in games period.

Looks sick, reminds me of SOMA. Any word if it'll release on PS4?

Also I know it can't be but does the narrator/protagonist voice sound like RDJ?

Melchiah

This is what the developer said about a PS4 release on their FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/NarcosisGame/
We'd have loved to have PS/VR ready at launch, but it's too much for handle for a small, first-time team. We've got kits "in office," but we're already shipping across several SKUs and languages; would have been more than we can do right by... Sorry, but hope you'll find another way to play?

Some images from there:

has anybody died of fright playing a VR game yet?

cause this right here looks like a decent enough candidate to start a fatal heart attack or two.

Being a big fan of deep sea horror I can't express how excited I am about this game.

The art style and atmosphere look perfect, the lighting even remind me of F.E.A.R.2

lJ9cP0v.png

Seems like PS4 version won't be coming soon, if at all. They do have the dev kits though.

Dusk Golem

No thank you lol

I'm already paranoid of deep water don't need nothing adding to it

Crazy how scary normal shit like this could be

I appreciate how they're grounding a lot in more plausible explanations, with deep sea narcosis being a real thing and a good explanation for decreasing sanity, oxygen and pressure under the sea playing role. And of course, actual deep sea creatures, the closest thing we have on Earth to things we actually perceive as monsters.

HeavenlyE

Game looks great but I can't take underwater horror levels at all, I can barely get past underwater sections in non horror games

Dusk Golem

Game looks great but I can't take underwater horror levels at all, I can barely get past underwater sections in non horror games

Horror games in the ocean are usually less 'underwater levels' as much as they're set in the deep sea, given this does have some underwater mechanics seen in gameplay so I can understand. I personally think underwater can work very well with horror though.

Aku-Audi

I remember the creatures in sewers from Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire made me turn off the console in sheer terror. This game would cause me a heart attack.

Hey there, thanks for opening this thread - after such a long haul, it's really exciting for all of us at Honor Code (I'm the writer and de-facto "PR guy" for Narcosis). The positive vibes and occasional "nope" are appreciated, in equal measure.

I appreciate how they're grounding a lot in more plausible explanations, with deep sea narcosis being a real thing and a good explanation for decreasing sanity, oxygen and pressure under the sea playing role. And of course, actual deep sea creatures, the closest thing we have on Earth to things we actually perceive as monsters.

This, all the way. We've taken liberties with the science, flora and fauna, of course, but worked hard to keep it all looking/feeling/sounding plausible (while still being "fun"). We even consulted with an expert on deep-sea exploration and habitation for several years - even the reason why the protagonist is down there in the first place, is rooted in real-world initiatives...

(update: tried to post a couple of screens we haven't shared anywhere else - "NeoGAF exclusives," if you will - but getting broken links. Will try again later)

Syf

Banned
Well that looks like the most effective possible setting for a horror game for me, so I'm down.

Top Bottom