• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

Moofers

Disclaimer: I am a temporary contracted worker at a company and am interviewing there today for a permanent position. Its in a different department, hence the interview.

Before landing the contracted position, I spent months last year looking for work while paying the bills doing Apple tech support. That period was kind of soul-crushing because I submitted countless applications that went nowhere, and had a handful of interviews that went nowhere. All the interviews had the same competency questions like "Tell us about a time when you displayed your adaptability by blah blah blah" etc. I didn't hate the Apple gig with all my being, but I couldn't see myself doing that for much longer than I did and remaining sane. Plus the pay was absolute shit, which served as a motivator for enduring the applications and interviews.

Prepping for today's interview has kind of taken me back to that period where I was just depressed and burned out from applying all over. I realize its a bit different since I already have my foot in the door here, but I'm dreading the questions and the sterile, cold feeling I get from these. But at the same time, its super important that I do well because if my contract runs out and I haven't landed a perma-gig, I'll be back to where I was last year.

Anyone else out there enduring the challenges of applying and doing interviews?

zruben

Banned
8 long months unemployed, always looking, always struggling. Gets even worse if you start to have money problems.

it's a horrible situation, you feel guilty every time you start doing anything remotely fun, because you feel like you're wasting valuable time.
The most important tip is to keep your coolness and keep yourself busy. It's really an exhausting and soul-crushing problem.

Also, keep in mind if you get a rejection, that there is nothing "wrong" with you. Getting a job is a mixture of timing, contacts, and good luck.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
8 long months unemployed, always looking, always struggling. Gets even worse if you start to have money problems.

it's a horrible situation, you feel guilty every time you start doing anything remotely fun, because you feel like you're wasting valuable time.
The most important tip is to keep your coolness and keep yourself busy. It's really an exhausting and soul-crushing problem.

Also, keep in mind if you get a rejection, that there is nothing "wrong" with you. Getting a job is a mixture of timing, contacts, and good luck.
You really can't understate the guilt when doing something fun. I feel bad even spending money.

Been trying all summer to no avail. My degree is worthless.

No argument there, really.

Searching for sustenance for yourself takes a hard toll on the mind.

Well said.

I was out of work for 16 months so I totally agree with your sentiments. There is nothing else to do except try to not get discouraged, and keep on applying. Good luck.

It sucks. I graduated in 2009 at the height of the recession and there were no jobs at all. Took me 9 months to find a job. Happy to say that I've had consistent work since then and made big strides in my career. The point is, keep at it. Something has to crack sooner or later.

It really sucks man. My old company went under a few weeks back so now I'm back on the hunt. Its really easy to lose confidence and feel like you're worthless but you just gotta hang in there. Its a game of perseverance.

Hale-XF11

I, unfortunately, gave up years ago. I lost all of my will power to go job hunting and work for other people. So I feel your pain and then some.

Gorillaz

Not as long as some on here but yea, I had like a good 8-9 period of no real work. Shit really does get to you mentally after awhile.

The worst feeling is when you know you're qualified, or slightly over-qualified, and you still hear nothing. Then you start to doubt yourself. Been there.

I'm currently in the same boat, applying fairly constantly since the Spring and had a decent amount of interviews but they've all ended the same ("It was great talking to you but we're not moving forward with your candidacy, etc.")

I luckily just landed an ongoing paid freelance writing gig which is taking some of the sting off while I look for other stuff.

This thread really hits home. When you get rejected, i.e., no return calls or interviews, you *do* begin to feel as if something is wrong with you. Personally.

I totally get that there are a series of external factors that play into getting a job. However, when you've been out of work for over a year, time begins to play against your chances of getting work again.

Men define themselves by their ability to sustain themselves. When you begin to attribute your skill sets to a dollar amount, the woe becomes crushing.

You begin to ask yourself, "You mean that my skills and experience aren't worth $100.00 a day? ($10.00 an hour on a 10 hour day)?

It's on those days when you haven't earned a SINGLE dollar when it hits home.

Takes incredible faith and perseverance to keep your head up. Stay strong.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

I was in right in the middle of this situation 10 years ago. I'm coming up right on the anniversary when racism as an institution hit me hard. I have an "ethic" sounding first name which I used on all my resumes up until then and I visited a resume doctor who was doing charity work at our university and she told me "Sorry if this sounds offensive but we live in a racist society and your name is why you haven't been getting responses on your resume". She asked if I had an "American" sounding nick-name (which I did because Americans didn't want to say my name because it was "too long"); she strongly recommended that I use that instead and went from two responses in 5 months to 4 responses in one week -- one of those became my job for the next 7 years.

Anyway OP... You're hit with a lot of stress and uncertainty but you have to press forward knowing its all for something worth it. Try to get as much feedback and use it to improve yourself; make it all constructive experiences and not failures. Do not give up and do not half-ass anything. Anything!!

This. I can't do anything without feeling extremely guilty. Then I feel horrible anyways and decide to lay down for a bit because I can't take it. It's this horrible cycle.

Fox Mulder

It sucks.

I just ended up staying at a shitty job and went back to school for another degree.

months of rejections or hearing nothing at all made me want to kill myself. Even my family started calling me lazy and questioning why I hadn't found anything yet.

Terra

Exhausting and soul-crushing are the right words for it. I have not been totally jobless since I was 20-21 years old.
But those four/five wintermonths ate the living spirit out of me.
I felt miserable and like a failure. There were times when I fucking cried.

Since then I have managed to have work all the time without any bigger obstacles, I am 30 now.
But I have been on a temporary position in the public sector for the past year. I never get to feel good & secure. :(

I feel with all of you, and try to stand strong!

Every time I see threads like these, I wonder why GAFfers aren't helping hook GAFfers up where they can...though I'm sure it does happen from time to time.

Keep your head up, OP (and everyone else) - it's a numbers game, a war of attrition. Just keep applying tirelessly!

rtcn63

Hah, the ethnic name thing I get. Been out of work for almost two years, and the last place that hired me, the interviewer-attorney was married to a half-Japanese woman, and I think that definitely factored into why he gave me a chance. (I'm Asian)

I speak formal English when talking other adults, and I could easily pass as someone who er... is not of the foreign cultured variety. But I dunno, it would feel like I'm purposely deceiving people, even if it's to combat their inherent prejudices.

scott!

Neo Member
It's the pits for sure. I may have finally found my way into a position after searching for over a year, and of course this one comes by way of a friend. Networking feels like everything in a job search, unless your resume/education/profession is absolute dynamite. As a guy who graduated community college (finally got off my ass and transferred on to finish my Bachelor's - May 2015, here I come!) and worked basically the same dead-end job for 7 years, it's a bitch out there.

One nice thing with being poor is the substantial financial aid assistance. Still graduating with debt, but it's a little over 8000. The horror stories I've seen about folks with 50 thousand in loans make my blood run cold.

Laekon

I'm going through the same thing. Lost my job in April and then spent 2 months recovering from getting hit by a car while riding my bike in May. I get very few replies from the resumes I've sent out and no real interviews yet. I did have 2 phone interviews in the last week but no good understanding if they went well or not. It really makes you doubt your abilities. I've been thinking of changing fields but then have to figure out how to support myself for 2 years while going to school.

Aesius

I'm freelancing, so I'm basically ALWAYS applying for jobs. It sucks in a way but I also really enjoy it. Landing new work feels awesome. It's like getting a new job that you don't really have to show up for or ever meet your "boss". You just get your shit done and get paid, and if it sucks, you only have to work for them once.

Ultimadrago

I just graduated and I'm not looking forward to it, that's for sure.

I don't even know how to fill a resume when I've come straight out of college with no substantive job/internship experience to speak of.

Even my family started calling me lazy and questioning why I hadn't found anything yet.

Ugh, that part is the fucking worst.
My parents keep nagging me to go find a job, and telling me that I need to start working. What, you think I don't want to? You think I like feeling like a useless sack of shit while all my other friends are working and have actual adult responsibilities?
I feel so guilty when I'm out with friends and they call it quits early because of work the next day.

I'm applying to a bunch of openings and have some contacts and stuff, but there isn't all that much out there for new grads with minimal work experience.

I just graduated and I'm not looking forward to it, that's for sure.

I don't even know how to fill a resume when I've come straight out of college with no substantive job/internship experience to speak of.

prepare for your resume being completely redundant as most companies have their own systems that require you to RE-ENTER all of the information you've put together on your resume.

Applying for jobs is the worst process ever (obvious hyperbole, but still)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just wish there was a better, more streamlined option to handle the 'evaluation' questions. Like you're ALL gonna ask me the stealing question, and I'm ALWAYS gonna have the same answer. I thought it would stop with 'degree' jobs, but it's still there! And It's still worded the same!

Keep at it OP! I know it blows but ya gotta do it. Try networking as well within your field.

I got my last two jobs from indeed.com so check that out if you haven't

Bold One

Soul crushing is the word,

Absolutely soul crushing, you feel impotent, useless and without purpose,

youre always looking at your email and phone

I've only been job hunting for 3 months after graduating, so I know most people here have had it much worse, but I know that feeling.

I hate going through three interviews with the company, getting the feeling that they're going to hire you, getting compliments thrown at you about how great your resume is. You wait for that phone call back then...nothing. No follow up, no calls back, nothing. It feels like they were just stringing me along for a couple of weeks with nothing in return.

Just got to keep on trying.

The answer you're looking for: job agencies

Srs

A job agency got me $11/hour from Dec-Jun, unfortunately it didnt work out. After being unemployed the last 2 months, looking/applying countless times on indeed.com - nothing. Then 1 day i get a call from my job agency - they called me after finding out I didnt work for the previous company anymore.
Next thing you know - tomorrow I have a job interview $14/hr and 10 minutes away from my house.
If I do good tomorrow and get the job - no more feeling like an unemployed piece of crap and hating my life

Hang in there, guys. I was once in your situation and even had massive debt too. Just keep at it and never give up. It gets better. Anything is possible.

After months of unemployment, I accepted what would be the worst job I have ever had. Stuck with it for 6 months, kept looking for a new job, and then got offered an awesome job at another company.

RP912

Banned
As a recent unemployed individual who endured 2 years of unemployment...just embrace the help you received, don't feel lower than where you are, and remember that you are not the only one....especially in the job search mission.

Shit can be infuriating and downright annoying searching for jobs. Right now I'm gearing towards getting my bachelors and trying to find a gig to just bring in some extra money in the house. I think the worst thing you can deal with is nonstop rejection letters and notices that the position has been filled. Even then just chalk it up and see that there's a job for everyone including you.

i finally got a job (although temp and only because my father used to work here and still knew some good people) couple months ago after 8 months of no work. there were weeks when i thought i was going to lose my mind.

Those are the exact two words I would use to describe it. I've been unemployed for a couple of months now and the situation is horrible. I hate spending hours on writing a good cover letter, polishing my resume for the specific job and getting a standard rejection email, or no response at all. It is terrible.

Still, you have to keep pressing on. I had my moments of wanting to give up, but I kept at it. Finally, after sending out almost 40 letters and having been to 7 interviews, I'm getting somewhere. Haven't signed anything yet, but if I land this job, it will all have been worth it.

I have some small tips that worked for me that might be valuable for people that are in the same situation:

- When replying to a position by email, send your email as a PDF and your motivation in the body of the email. Recruiters are lazy people and the less clicks they have to do, the better. They start reading your motivation when they open the email and the PDF format is easily openend and forwarded on mobile devices.

- Call for an update when you haven't heard anything back for at least a week. After that, try it again the next week if needed. If you haven't heard anything after that, let it go and move on.

- Create a routine for yourself. Finding a job is now your job. For me, I spent the morning going to the gym, doing some chores and from 12-5pm, I was looking for a job. Applying, looking for positions, calling people in my network for some updates, writing letters and so forth. That way I could relax in the evening and watch a movie or play a game. Creating and sticking to a routine will keep you sane, trust me.

- Above all, no matter how bad things get, never, ever give up.

The answer you're looking for: job agencies

Srs

A job agency got me $11/hour from Dec-Jun, unfortunately it didnt work out. After being unemployed the last 2 months, looking/applying countless times on indeed.com - nothing. Then 1 day i get a call from my job agency - they called me after finding out I didnt work for the previous company anymore.
Next thing you know - tomorrow I have a job interview $14/hr and 10 minutes away from my house.
If I do good tomorrow and get the job - no more feeling like an unemployed piece of crap and hating my life

Don't worry, you will get the job. Don't stress it.

The frustrating thing is when they don't even get back to you at all. Yeah that position I applied for was a longshot but I would really appreciate it if they just reply to you with No, thank you.

I always prefer when you apply and the next day you already get an email that you're not qualified enough. Those are better because you can get that job out of your mind and move on to something else.

The frustrating thing is when they don't even get back to you at all. Yeah that position I applied for was a longshot but I would really appreciate it if they just reply to you with No, thank you.

I always prefer when you apply and the next day you already get an email that you're not qualified enough. Those are better because you can get that job out of your mind and move on to something else.

It's horrible when you're just applying online at these places with shitty ass websites that look like they're from the 90's and you don't even know if the application, or that questionnaire you just took more than an hour filling out, even went through. You barely get any sort of confirmation or feedback most of the time.

marink

The job search was a truly humbling experience for me. I was looking through 2012/2013 and I was lucky enough to hook up with a staffing agency around summer 2013 doing web dev stuff. I will say for some reason retail jobs with those online applications are infinitely harder(for me) to get a response than non retail positions.

took me 9 months to find a job after graduating
it's hell
if I can give one tip, it's if you are rejected to contact them and ask feedback
I was surprised at how much I learned from simply doing this
it REALLY helps when preparing for the next interview

Top Bottom