• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi. WTF Nintendo?

Willy105 said:
What? His new voice is adorable.

First new voice samples we have gotten from him for almost a decade, BTW.

New is not always a good thing. Now I know I wasn't imagining how annoying he sounded.

WillyFive

TheGreatDave said:
New is not always a good thing. Now I know I wasn't imagining how annoying he sounded.

Didn't annoy or bother me at all. First time I heard it, I loved it.

What I didn't like about it though that it was at a low volume. You could barely hear him.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Looks nothing like a T-Rex to me.

And his modern design is fine.

Nintendo crazy fans, man... :/

Oli

Complaining about Yoshi's changes since Super Mario World are like complaining about Mario's changes since Donkey Kong.

aka stupid and pointless.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just don't like what they did with his voice in the Yoshi's Story era. He never squealed or hummed or buzzed in Mario World. He had like three awesome sounds: eating, being hatched, and being scared off. Then he turned into some kind of castrato.

WillyFive

Y2Kev said:
I just don't like what they did with his voice in the Yoshi's Story era. He never squealed or hummed or buzzed in Mario World. He had like three awesome sounds: eating, being hatched, and being scared off. Then he turned into some kind of castrato.

But he had the most annoying voice of all in the original.

That loud sound he made when you jumped on him. Sounded like a squeaky toy.

Bentendo

People are just posting the wrong 3D model. The one in the OP I've always considered to be the worst bit of artwork Nintendo has released. Here's some better, more recent ones:

3D (Super Mario 64 DS):

super-mario-64-ds-yoshi.jpg

2D (either Yoshi Touch & Go or Yoshi's Island DS):

TheYoshiFamily.jpg

Yoshi Story was the turning point for me. Nintendo was doing the rounds, giving all of their characters "cute" little voice clips, and then they got to Yoshi. They made him sound like an Alvin & the chipmunks character, except he made goofy baby noises.

Coincidentally, this change happened at Yoshi's Story on the N64, a game that feels like it was made for preschool children. I absolutely hated it when old EGM/1up alumni would bust out the term "baby game", but that is the only way I can express my feeling for Yoshi's Story. The game was, as far as I could make myself play it, mindlessly easy and disgustingly saccharine - more a venue for this "new" Yoshi to make funny noises than actually be a game that engaged me.

And somebody decided that's how Yoshi is going to be. Forever. That nails-on-a-chalkboard voice, the squishy anthropomorphic proportions, everything.

There hasn't been a "good" Yoshi game since. I've never played Topsy-Turvey on the GBA, and I don't want to. Touch & Go was fun for about ten minutes. Yoshi's Island DS was at best bland and completely uninteresting (and at worst a buggy, unpolished, unbalanced, ugly piece of shit).

Seriously, Yoshi's Island debuted and probably set the watermark so high that there will never be a Yoshi game to reach that plateau. But regardless of that, the games released since Yoshi's Island haven't even come within spitting distance. It's like Nintendo literally has no idea what to do with the character.

If there is a game with Yoshi and you "need" to give him a voice, I want the Mario Kart 64 incarnation, where the only "voice" he has is just that weird sound he made in Super Mario World but pitch-shifted and mixed up all different kinds of ways.

Bentendo said:
Oh, and I'd say the bigger hands are for throwing eggs, both of which were introduced in Yoshi's Island.

It would make more sense if he spat the eggs though...Also, the REAL Yoshi does not have a voice or any kind, he just makes the licky noises from SMW.

fbgamer

Banned
Subliminal said:
WAAAH WAAAH MY VIDEO GAME RIDEABLE DINOSAUR WITH A LONG TONGUE THAT EATS FRUIT AND POOPS OUT EGGS DOESN'T LOOK REALISTIC

lol. point.

OP: Also, are you complaining about Yoshi's ability to stand on his hind legs once in a while now?

J2 Cool

The Yoshi I like is eyes half closed, a little bit oblivious, quirky, wild, cool.

Super_Mario_World___Yoshi8bitgaller.jpg
Blue_Yoshi_SMW.png
yoshi_small.jpg

Yoshi is the farthest thing from cool now. Yoshi's Island, even if a great game, made Yoshi into a permanent childlike character. That's what happened, but I'm okay with it. BALLZ, LOOK AT MAH BALLZ.

Sushen

Dascu said:
Why the hell is a dinosaur wearing shoes anyway?
Do you want to talk about why Disney characters wear shirts but no pants? How about many super heroes who wear underwear on top of tights?

MisterHero

Yoshis are everywhere but OP's preferred Yoshis are exclusive to Dinosaur Island

Not in Isle Delfino

Not in Space

I like his current design

goldenpp72

The original yoshi design is too simple and lacks any personality outside of looking smug or something, yoshis design today in game looks superior, that render sucks though.

mooooose

Yoshi's sound effects in NSMB Wii are old Yoshi sounds from his Island days and in Galaxy 2 he barely makes any baby noises. They've been on track to fixing that. Even Mario's voice is kinda "deeper" and less excited, thus less kiddy sounding. He still has enthusiasm, he just isn't a twelve year old plumber on crack.

Geez, what a stupid thread. Yoshi looks great. And I love the new voice work in SMG2.

If you want a better example of a Nintendo character whose design has gotten significantly worse, go with Daisy.

N64-era design:
MP3Art.PNG

GCN/Wii design:
daisy_mario_party.jpg

Still not sure why they decided to give her fetal alcohol syndrome face.

BertramCooper said:
Geez, what a stupid thread. Yoshi looks great. And I love the new voice work in SMG2.

If you want a better example of a Nintendo character whose design has gotten significantly worse, go with Daisy.

N64-era design:
MP3Art.PNG

GCN/Wii design:
daisy_mario_party.jpg

Eh, N64 design is just a Peach Reskin.

Zeliard

It is true that it's pretty stupid that his saddle turned into a shell. That has to be the most ineffective shell in the history of the animal kingdom.

DonMigs85

BertramCooper said:

N64-era design:
MP3Art.PNG

GCN/Wii design:
daisy_mario_party.jpg

Notice that they got rid of her tanned look as well. And there are no black or Asian human characters in the Mario series either. Hmm
But come to think of it, the new render does resemble the original Mario Land art more IMO...
Princess+Daisy+papercraft+from+Mario+Bros.jpg

Speevy

Banned
Along with Mario Kart and F-Zero, Yoshi is one of the most lasting original things Nintendo created during the 16 bit era.

He's a little too powerful for you to get him and use him for every second of every level in 3D games, but I don't think his primary function has changed over the years.

The new design looks pretty nice to me, and I also like his voice work. I also liked Yoshi's Story, but it was too short. I don't really see what's wrong with the new Yoshi, besides you whining about how he doesn't look "mature".

Which reminds me, where the hell is my new Yoshi's Island/Story game? :(

Jesus, there are a lot of idiots laughing at the "WAAAH WAAAH DOESN'T LOOK REALISTIC" comment. Considering that nowhere in the OP is there any mention of how realistic he ever looked, don't any of you find that the slightest bit stupid?

Even if you disagree that Yoshi's design has got worse, it's not hard to see why some people might feel that way, given that Yoshi's design has changed a lot. He went from looking like a "mount" to having an upright posture, and having a far more simple, childish design, with a completely different voice/sound effect. Considering these aren't insignificant changes, and Yoshi looks and sounds incredibly different now, I fail to see why having an opinion on the matter is so fucking taboo.

Personally, the Yoshi's Island design is my favourite. I don't like his new upright posture, his new voice, and he used to look a lot more mellowed out.

Top Bottom