• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

crazy car accident driving in snow vs truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabDX

Banned
The "explosion" actually absorbs a lot of the kinetic energy the truck had. This is a lot safer than a car made of extremely hard materials that would keep their shape during a collision.

Weenerz

Banned
What vehicle was that? How the fuck did it pass the crash test? Vehicles don't do that, only helicopters in Brazil do that.

Ronabo

Watching it a few times I swear I can see the drivers seat get ejected with the driver sitting in it. It goes flying over towards the trees.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Screen for the faint of heart:

YbM8b.png

The black cloud in front of that white truck on the left was a car before

I hate those fucking trucks. Every time I pass one on the highway I'm on edge. They should build highways that only those things drive on.

This video should be showed in every single driver's ed course, and to everyone. While it is an awful, awful accident, it emphasizes how easy it is to lose control on a highway / fast road when there is even a coating of ice / snow.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I always feel lucky when I see stuff like this.

I fell asleep on the interstate once. Went into the grassy median, spun around, went backwards across the oncoming traffic and backwards up a merging ramp.

After I collected myself I drove forward to merge and took the next exit to get coffee and turn around.

Despera

Banned
If you guys pause the vid at the exact moment the truck hits the SUV, you can notice a splash of blood coming out of the driver's window.

I think I'm going to slow down when on the expressway from now on.

Sure, the speed limit is 55 and just about everyone does 70-85. But man...fuck that.

he sped up to fast in shitty conditions probably with poor tires. Wanting to overtake the other vehicle.

He (probably she) got into the thick slush which started "pulling" the SUV into oncoming lanes, and the driver counter steered too much and lost control.

This is why on slippery highways I use *much* finer inputs and dont over correct.

This one happened because a driver was on ice / snow and lost control. Your point?

Showing videos does nothing to prevent accidents from happening is my point. Because its an accident.

Want to prevent stuff like this from happening? Have people actually practice losing and regaining control in slippery conditions, it has saved me plenty of times.

Zebra

I feel so fortunate not to live in an icy/snowy region. My place only gets icy maybe a few days out of the year.

The video is tragic. A life/lives would have been saved with a simple barrier. Sad.

He (probably she) got into the thick slush which started "pulling" the SUV into oncoming lanes, and the driver counter steered too much and lost control.

This is why on slippery highways I use *much* finer inputs and dont over correct.

Yep. What causes these accidents is a person drifting into the slush, turning back to the center of the lane, the tires slide in the slush, the driver steers more, finally the tires either catch grip or slide back onto the dry surface and whammo, all of sudden you're doing 50 miles per hour on the highway with your wheel cranked over hard enough to spin the car.

Edit: When that happens all you can do is keep the throttle steady (or slowly let off of it), gently turn the steering wheel and wait for grip to return. Any sudden movements are just going to fuck everything up. If the car is completely unresponsive and you go off the road then you were going too fast in the first place.

I remember when the front a kid I used to work with's camaro got completely removed by a tractor trailer. He was getting onto the highway in snow and fishtailed and luckily only the front of his car got in front of it but the front was completely gone.

Edit: The biggest thing is how in unholy fuck is there no divider between coming traffic? Ridiculous.

Yep. What causes these accidents is a person drifting into the slush, turning back to the center of the lane, the tires slide in the slush, the driver steers more, finally the tires either catch grip or slide back onto the dry surface and whammo, all of sudden you're doing 50 miles per hour on the highway with your wheel cranked over hard enough to spin the car.

Edit: When that happens all you can do is keep the throttle steady (or slowly let off of it), gently turn the steering wheel and wait for grip to return. Any sudden movements are just going to fuck everything up. If the car is completely unresponsive and you go off the road then you were going too fast in the first place.

Yep.

Also, it looks like they never even let off the gas, or atleast never even tried to apply the brakes, which I find odd. Braking into/after hitting the box truck could have maybe atleast prevented them from getting sling shot into oncoming traffic (note the brake lights of the box truck and how it handles the accident for comparison sake).

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
From the comments here, sounds brutal and I'd rather not watch it and have my day ruined by such things

RIP

Edit: The biggest thing is how in unholy fuck is there no divider between coming traffic? Ridiculous.

I've seen this question come up a lot and I have to ask if a lot of you have just never driven on rural highways in America. Tons and tons of 55mph+ roads out in the country will be without a divider of any sort, even with four or more lanes of traffic.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
From the comments here, sounds brutal and I'd rather not watch it and have my day ruined by such things

RIP

You can watch it fine.

The impact is just crazy but nothing that will cause nightmares because you are far removed from the situation.

abuC

Wow, that truck just vanished.

I hate driving on rural roads in Upstate NY or in PA where there's no divider between you and the 40 ton 18 wheeler going 60mph. I always wondered what would happen if one hit my car head on, now I know.

Zebra

You can watch it fine.

The impact is just crazy but nothing that will cause nightmares because you are far removed from the situation.

I have an active imagination and tend to visualize things like this from every possible view point without actually wanting to. Inside that car was another human being like myself, so its impossible for me to feel far removed from it. It thoroughly disturbed me.

Despite the years of constantly being exposed to stuff like this on the Internet, they still get to me.

Gattsu25

Banned
Christ!

Not what I expected. My stomach sank HARD when the SUV exploded into a hundred different parts. No way anyone survived that shit without being torn into dozens of pieces :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom