• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

TiVo

My Premium 360 died.
It is still under warranty and MS is already sending a coffin.
My Premium 360 does NOT have the HDMI port the back.
I miss my gaming.
Money is not an issue right now and I was always going to buy a Elite 360 for the living room.
I saw the posts about hard drives & failure rates, etc.
It confused the hell outta me.

Should I buy a Elite? And in simple terms how do i know which one buy.

My 360 died last October, and I said, "meh, no rush to get it fixed." I waited until January, and it was one of the worst decisions of my life. I didn't even think about the November/December holiday releases in my decision, and I ended up waiting until February to play, Fable II, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Mirror's Edge, and Gears of War 2. I am never making that mistake again.

TiVo

Yeah, been bouncing it around in my mind all day.

Gonna go get an Elite tonight or this weekend. I will give my old 360 to my nephew once fixed.

Maximus.

Ok here it goes...Ive gone through 3 dead xboxes on 4th one now. When i first bought my xbox it had E74 from the start or somethin and controllers didnt connect, 2nd one died randomly one night got rrod. Third one was an Elite cauz i got sick of all the dying and that one finally just died on me, picture stop[ed displayin while i was playin nhl. So i sold it and bought an arcade. Im officially done supporting xbox, gonna get a ps3 soon and sold off a lot of xbox games and accessories. Im still gonna buy the exclusives and play watever games i kept. Disappointing since i babied them and had them so well ventilated, it sat in a very open area. Oh well.

Wiggum2007

My 360 finally died on me, sent it last weekend and was really excited when a few days later the repairs were completed and I was notified my console had been shipped back, thought I'd have it by the weekend. Three days later though checking my tracking info on the site I'm still just at 'Billing Information Received'. :\

So its been a week since I originally called Microsoft about my inability to recover my shipping label from their site, and I still haven't had this resolved. I called them Wednesday like I was asked to, which ended in them saying that they will call me when it's taken care of. I'll probably end up calling again this Sunday just to make sure they haven't forgot about me.

Zyzyxxz

Fraull said:
Ok here it goes...Ive gone through 3 dead xboxes on 4th one now. When i first bought my xbox it had E74 from the start or somethin and controllers didnt connect, 2nd one died randomly one night got rrod. Third one was an Elite cauz i got sick of all the dying and that one finally just died on me, picture stop[ed displayin while i was playin nhl. So i sold it and bought an arcade. Im officially done supporting xbox, gonna get a ps3 soon and sold off a lot of xbox games and accessories. Im still gonna buy the exclusives and play watever games i kept. Disappointing since i babied them and had them so well ventilated, it sat in a very open area. Oh well.

what what shitty luck.

I'm on my first Arcade unit only a little over a month old.

If only PS3 actually had some games to play... I mean mine just sits there waiting for Uncharted 2, FF XIII, or Fat Princess while I'm enjoying tons of Arcade and exclusives for the 360.

got2bekidding said:
So its been a week since I originally called Microsoft about my inability to recover my shipping label from their site, and I still haven't had this resolved. I called them Wednesday like I was asked to, which ended in them saying that they will call me when it's taken care of. I'll probably end up calling again this Sunday just to make sure they haven't forgot about me.

I'm having the same problem. My Xbox just died, and I can't get the shipping label off of their site. It's making me rather sad.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wow my xbox 360 kicked the bucket today and tried to register it today and found out that someone already registered it, some guy named Robert Joley or something. Called customer support and to put the console under my name. So now I have to wait for the shipping labels to come from microsoft. Thankfully there isn't anything right now to play on it so I guess I can wait for it to come back when I ship it. Then again I was thinking of buying Shadow Complex.

Bahzing

Here I was, minding my own business, thinking my xbox was indestructible and having fun playing Rock Band for 10 minutes when BAM! it freezes.
I reset it and BAM! green screen.
I reset again and BAM! RROD :(

Tried to register my console over the internet, but the site told me my postal code was invalid, so I had to call customer service to register it, which went smoothly. I just hope I don't have any trouble receiving the shipping label like you guys.

Some Weaklin said:
I'm having the same problem. My Xbox just died, and I can't get the shipping label off of their site. It's making me rather sad.
Did you get the email they send out to tell you how to retrieve it? If so and you followed all the steps on there and still can't retrieve it, you should give them a call.
The issue with mine was that the site didn't tie my console to the repair order, so when I got that email, it had the Service Request Number but no console number under it.

Just updating my report: I called them again today to make sure that Microsoft didn't forget about me. I got transferred to one of the higher-up guys and he said that the issue still isn't resolved, but that they are on it and that I should hear something in the next 24-48hours. I actually believe this guy for some reason. He also comped me a wireless controller for having to wait over a week to have this resolved. I should have taken the Live Vision cam just to get those achievements where you can make your own character in some games, so I'm sort of regretting my decision. Maybe I could trade it in at a Gamestop or Walmart for one once I get the controller.

I got my shipping label today and the guy I talked to said I needed to write down some number on it...anyone know anything about this? I have the number he gave me, just don't know where to put it on the label

got2bekidding said:
Did you get the email they send out to tell you how to retrieve it? If so and you followed all the steps on there and still can't retrieve it, you should give them a call.
The issue with mine was that the site didn't tie my console to the repair order, so when I got that email, it had the Service Request Number but no console number under it.

That actually seems to be the problem. I don't have a console number on the e-mail. Do I have to call them or is there something I can do on the website?

expy

Banned
Just posting for the statistic.

My 360 RROD'd on September 25th of 2007.

Turned it on to play some NHL'07 and the 3 lights flashed continuously. Replaced within 1.5 weeks and has been running fine since then (albeit it having been used very little since).

Fox Mulder

I'm about to lose another 360. I was playing NCAA 10 and kept getting dirty disk errors. So I tried other games, and get the same thing. The games that do work for a bit load textures very slowly, which means my drive is dying.

I've had 4 RROD's, but only one other dead DVD drive. I can't even send it to MS, as it was x-clamp modded to fix a RROD. I guess I have to start looking into what a replacement DVD drive costs.

Some Weaklin said:
That actually seems to be the problem. I don't have a console number on the e-mail. Do I have to call them or is there something I can do on the website?
Yeah, you have to call. Tell them what's going on, and hopefully they will be able to fix it during the call. If not, you might get stuck waiting on them to call you back once it's taken care of.

Usual Disclaimer: If I can't tell when your 360 died / was replaced, you aren't included in the figures. That's basically anyone that just posted to say that their 360 died last year some time or they've had x dead 360s and gave no more information. Also, if you posted to say your 360 was acting up and never came back to confirm its death / shipment / getting a new one... you aren't included either.

Don't forget that NPD US numbers are simply included to give a rough idea of how many 360s are out there for each particular month.

2nqusd3.png

In the figures so far are 1350 dead / replaced 360s, 56 of which were falcon models.

This Month

RRoD: 15
Other Red Light: 4
Freezing: 2
Video: 2
Drive: 1

5 of the 8 refurb failures were due to RRoD.

Overall Falcon Issues

RRoD: 34
1RL: 9
DOA: 5
Video: 5
Drive: 2
Freezing: 1

Overall Jasper Issues

PSU: 1

funkmastergeneral said:
I got my shipping label today and the guy I talked to said I needed to write down some number on it...anyone know anything about this? I have the number he gave me, just don't know where to put it on the label

Just write it in sharpie somewhere on the box.

Maximus.

Zyzyxxz said:
what what shitty luck.

I'm on my first Arcade unit only a little over a month old.

If only PS3 actually had some games to play... I mean mine just sits there waiting for Uncharted 2, FF XIII, or Fat Princess while I'm enjoying tons of Arcade and exclusives for the 360.

yea i know :/ well more of my friends have a ps3 so wen we all get some multiplayer games itll be fun. I just got a ps3 so i got a lot of games to catch up on :p oh yea and the arcade i bought wasnt a jasper so that sucked but i dont believe ill need to worry since i wont be really playing it much after the summer is finished, except for halo odst haha.

Mine's as good as dead. Locks up within a couple of seconds-minutes after startup. No error code yet. Getting a hint of a checkboard pattern so it's probably the good ol RLOD. Not that it matters since I ran out of warranty about three months ago. :mad:

Yup, thar she blows.
33kxjrs.jpg

My fourth 360.
#1 - Brand new, RLOD
#2 - Refurb showing signs of imminent death.
#3 - Brand new, ruined two of my games.
#4 - Brand new, RLOD

This one lasted the longest, annoyingly enough... Over 1.5 years or some such.

What's the best course of action? Arcade? Was thinking I might as well get a 60GB one, but then getting a hold of a transfer cable seems like such a hassle.

There's a form on Xbox.com, but it only applies to the Elite for some reason. Can you wrangle a transfer cable from Microsoft somehow? It's just a damned cable, shouldn't be too much to ask when I'm about to buy a second shitty console from them. If that's possible you'd presumably have to wait until you can supply them with the serial number and then wait a week or two for the thing to arrive. Apparently only some kits work with the 60GB etc.

So yeah, I'll just get an Arcade.

alanias

I sent my Xbox in for repairs just yesterday and have been playing games on my friend's unit with my HD attached. I have a question about licensing though. If I buy 'Splosion man on my friends box with my HD will there be any licensing issues when I reattach it to my repaired unit? I really want to play the game ASAP, but if it's going to be a hassle I will wait.

alanias said:
I have a question about licensing though. If I buy 'Splosion man on my friends box with my HD will there be any licensing issues when I reattach it to my repaired unit? I really want to play the game ASAP, but if it's going to be a hassle I will wait.
Yes, assuming you buy it on your gamertag, you'll only be able to play it when you're online.

Hey guys! I got my Xbox 360 back from MS. It's a refurbished one so they give you a letter telling you to restore your license by redownloading everything again. I did that and for some reason, it still says Trial game on all my arcade games. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Big_T

My Launch xbox i think is dying.

I turned my 360 on to download Splosion , 3 minutes then it freeze.
Turned it off then on and 3 red light , turned it off again removed all the cables put them back turned it on and its working again, 5 minutes later i got this

img00066200907230129d5a5f.jpg

turned off again then on 3 red light , waited 5 minutes now working and im downloading splosion .

So is that mean that my xbox dying and its better to get new one ? or there is a problem with the cables

Big_T said:
My Launch xbox i think is dying.

I turned my 360 on to download Splosion , 3 minutes then it freeze.
Turned it off then on and 3 red light , turned it off again removed all the cables put them back turned it on and its working again, 5 minutes later i got this

img00066200907230129d5a5f.jpg

turned off again then on 3 red light , waited 5 minutes now working and im downloading splosion .

So is that mean that my xbox dying and its better to get new one ? or there is a problem with the cables

Dying. Go on and get rid of it.

Big_T

AnEternalEnigma said:
Dying. Go on and get rid of it.
the system still working going to play splosion now.

But tomorrow i going to look for arcade console, btw is all the arcade with built in 256 MB are jasper ?

good bye my launch xbox 360.

edit:
Still working but to be in a safe side im going to buy new one.

kswiston

Bah.

My system was manufactured 2006-07-20, but I bought it just under 2 years ago. Fiance was trying to 1 vs 100 when it froze. Restarted it and immediately got a green checkerboard. Restarted again and it booted up, but froze 5 mins later. Turned it off, and then waited a few seconds. Turned it on and got a 3-light red ring...

Now the system does turn on most of the time, and freezing comes at random intervals. Should I hold onto it until it completely dies, or should I send it into Microsoft? I don't want to send it in just to have them test it for 30 seconds, figure it is fine, then send it back.

Also, how well does the online repair form work from Canada?

expy

Banned
Big_T said:

But tomorrow i going to look for arcade console, btw is all the arcade with built in 256 MB are jasper ?

edit:

Why are you going to look for a new one? Why don't you send it in for repair?

atomsk

Party Pooper
atomsk said:
my launch 360 died again (the original RROD was October 07)

well, it had a good run. RIP

replaced the x-clamps with screws and rubber washers, redid the thermal paste

everything works fine now :D

we'll see how long that lasts

Big_T

expy said:
Why are you going to look for a new one? Why don't you send it in for repair?
Got it on launch no warranty , here in Kuwait no official repair and the official system here is pal, if anything happen to a pal console under warranty they just give you a new one.

And my DVD drive really loud and sometimes scratch the disk
So im going to get US xbox arcade (all my games are NTSC)

Big_T said:

edit:

I don't know whether they are out now or not, but the newest models have 512MB built in.

2real4tv

Big_T said:
Got it on launch no warranty , here in Kuwait no official repair and the official system here is pal, if anything happen to a pal console under warranty they just give you a new one.

And my DVD drive really loud and sometimes scratch the disk
So im going to get US xbox arcade (all my games are NTSC)

Mine is doing the same thing and it is an arcade my COD4 and CODWaW are not working now.....well COD4 is works sometimes.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I mentioned it several days ago in the Rock Band thread, but my Zephyr with August 2007 manufacturing date RROD'd. They couldn't process my request at first because their system didn't like my address, despite the fact that they had no problems sending me a coffin to the same address in January when my other 360 (since sold) RROD'd again.

ultim8p00

Banned
So how long again does it take for MS to return your 360 to you? I heard that they recently improved their time but I can't remember how long it takes.

What's the average life-span of an x-clamped 360? I am seriously considering X-clamping my 360 as I don't feel like waiting 2 weeks to 1 month for it to get back. I have installed processors before so I should be ok.

Top Bottom