• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xanadu eX+ on PS4 will launch December 8th in NA (EU + Steam TBD)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Watch PC version get released next year when people won't be spending money on it and it stealth releases to no fanfare. =/

How similar is this to Xanadu Next?

Has nothing in common. Action RPG that plays similar to Ys VIII in dungeons, social stuff that plays identically to Trails of Cold Steel outside of dungeons.

It's a great game (the Vita version at least, yet to play PS4).

Surfside

Banned
Has nothing in common. Action RPG that plays similar to Ys VIII in dungeons, social stuff that plays identically to Trails of Cold Steel outside of dungeons.

It's a great game (the Vita version at least, yet to play PS4).

That's great to hear, since i didn't enjoy Next much.

Xanadu Next rocks, but I totally get some people not liking it or getting a good first impression, as it does some weird things for a Falcom game. Tokyo Xanadu will definitely appeal to anyone who likes/loves Trails of Cold Steel and would love an action game underneath all the voluminous NPC text and straightforward story.

And since I'm an unabashed advocate, anyone who liked Xanadu Next should consider trying Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection when that comes around. I think it's going to get a release date very soon.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on whether the game got another editing pass in the wait between versions? I've heard the TX localization is in many ways worse than Ys VIII's.

Probably holding off for a while regardless. Between impressions of the game as a whole not being particularly great and the overall setting of the game being undesirable to me, it's a pretty low priority.

Surfside

Banned
:O

Xanadu Next is a way better game, super unique too.
I did like Tokyo Xanadu as well, but I can't understand how someone wouldn't lile Xanadu Next. It's an amazing game.

It was a little bit to simple for me. It also is Diablo like in its gameplay, which i knew when i bought it. But i thought its story would be a little bit more prominent. But it wasn't. So i was left with a pure dungeon crawler, which i don't like that much.

I know it's my own fault for buying it prematurely.

Thoraxes

Sucks about the PC version delay compared to PS4. Hopefully it ends up good. It's also nice that they at least told us about it well in advance.

Since PC is the version I wanted most, I'll just pass on the PS4 version since XC2 is out the week before.

Oreiller

The European version will probably release a few weeks later, be more expensive than in NA and will be digital only. Great.

Thud

Should've known with Aksys. Not getting this full priced.

Xanadu Next rocks, but I totally get some people not liking it or getting a good first impression, as it does some weird things for a Falcom game. Tokyo Xanadu will definitely appeal to anyone who likes/loves Trails of Cold Steel and would love an action game underneath all the voluminous NPC text and straightforward story.

And since I'm an unabashed advocate, anyone who liked Xanadu Next should consider trying Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection when that comes around. I think it's going to get a release date very soon.

Alrighty I'll buy two two.

Will double-dip since I really liked it on Vita.

Likewise, I'm sure I'll grab the PS4 version at some point. Just finished the Vita version, really enjoyed it and have ended up doing an Nightmare + Infinity difficulty run. Almost done with S ranking all the levels (just got 3 odd to go)...

Saphirax

Any word on whether the game got another editing pass in the wait between versions? I've heard the TX localization is in many ways worse than Ys VIII's.

Probably holding off for a while regardless. Between impressions of the game as a whole not being particularly great and the overall setting of the game being undesirable to me, it's a pretty low priority.

Ys VIII’s localization is worse. TX just lacked QA (a lot of Aksys’ releases have the same issue). Hopefully they fixed it!

Zhao_Yun

The European version will probably release a few weeks later, be more expensive than in NA and will be digital only. Great.

I think physical version was confirmed when they announced it, but if it goes the same way as with the Vita version there will be no communication on when it will be released and you'll only find it at certain retailers...

preta

It's more enjoyable to read than Ys VIII's, but it also has some issues that that one doesn't have. TX has a number of cases of names and terms being translated or romanized multiple different ways and then all of them being used interchangeably, which is incredibly sloppy - and some of those ways aren't always even correct or synonymous with the others. Aksys also forgot to insert the true ending credits theme, which means that it's just 5 minutes of dead silence over the final part of the ending and the credits instead. I will say, though, that aside from the aforementioned sloppiness, it does feel like they actually tried with the editing, unlike NISA with Ys VIII. It has personality, although I think it might actually be a little overdone at times. There are also a few names in Falcom references that are misromanized. Overall, it's something that they could conceivably fix for the release of eX+ if they tried.

It was a little bit to simple for me. It also is Diablo like in its gameplay, which i knew when i bought it. But i thought its story would be a little bit more prominent. But it wasn't. So i was left with a pure dungeon crawler, which i don't like that much.

I know it's my own fault for buying it prematurely.

Its story is plenty prominent if you collect the tablets and memoirs! I loved the way the story was told when you take them into account - if you find and read them as you go, they'll give you material enough to contextualize current events somewhat but leave plenty of room for theorizing about their connections to each other and to said events, up to the end.

StereoVsn

I wonder how bad the delay will be with Xanadu Next. Ys VIII is bad enough and who knows when Cold Steel 2 will show up.

Edit: Meant on Steam of course.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's more enjoyable to read than Ys VIII's, but it also has some issues that that one doesn't have. TX has a number of cases of names and terms being translated or romanized multiple different ways and then all of them being used interchangeably, which is incredibly sloppy - and some of those ways aren't always even correct or synonymous with the others. Aksys also forgot to insert the true ending credits theme, which means that it's just 5 minutes of dead silence over the final part of the ending and the credits instead. I will say, though, that aside from the aforementioned sloppiness, it does feel like they actually tried with the editing, unlike NISA with Ys VIII. It has personality, although I think it might actually be a little overdone at times.

That makes it sound like improving it would be pretty doable. Hopefully they do that, especially after what NISA is going through.

preta

That makes it sound like improving it would be pretty doable. Hopefully they do that, especially after what NISA is going through.

Oh, it'd definitely be doable. If they don't do it, I imagine there'll likely be a fan patch to do so. (Of course, Aksys should do it.) The hardest part would be editing some errors in graphics.

Ascheroth

Not really that bothered with apparently a non 2017 PC date, I've already played Trails the 3rd, Cold Steel and Ys Seven this year, with Zwei and Ys VIII still coming.
Truly a Falcom avalanche.

Hopefully the PC version doesn't overlap with Cold Steel 2.

Top Bottom