• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM #217, July 2007: Odin Sphere > Pokemon

It's that time again.

In this Issue
- BioShock cover story.
- They compare New York City to Liberty City
- A section on why developers are so reluctant to do war games in Iraq or Afghanistan.
- Splinter Cell: Conviction, Need for Speed: Pro Street, Alone in the Dark, and No More Heroes previews.

Rumors
- A new 300 game coming for the PS3 and 360.
- PaRappa the Rapper 3 for the PS3 is real.
- Silent Hill 5 is coming to the PS3 and 360 next year... but a new American team is going to make it, not the original Japanese team.
- New sequels soon to be announced for Midnight Club, Bully, and Red Dead Revolver.
- EA looking to get the MLB and NBA licenses.

Review Scores - Wii
Resident Evil 4: 8, 9, 9
Escape From Bug Island: 2, 1.5, 4.5 [Shame of the Month]

Review Scores - Playstation 3
Ninja Gaiden Sigma: 9, 9, 8

Review Scores - Xbox 360/PS3
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End: 6, 4, 5.5
Spider-Man 3: 5, 7.5, 6.5

Review Scores - Xbox 360
Wartech: Senko No Ronde: 4, 5, 4

Review Scores - Playstation 2
Tomb Raider Anniversary: 8.5, 8.5, 8
Grim-Grimoire: 6, 6, 7
Odin Sphere: 8.5, 9.5, 9 [Game of the Month]

Review Scores - Nintendo DS
Simcity DS: 6.5, 6.5, 6
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: 8.5, 9.0, 8.5

Review Scores - Playstation Portable
Final Fantasy: 7, 5, 8
PQ2: Practical Intelligence Quotient: 9.5, 7.5, 9
Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon: 6.5, 6, 5

Coming in the August 2007 Issue
- Wold exclusive preview of the new Soul Calibur games (yes, plural).
- Interview with Final Fantasy XIII developers.
- Lair and NCAA Football '08 reviews.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
- Silent Hill 5 is coming to the PS3 and 360 next year... but a new American team is going to make it, not the original Japanese team.

Sweet! Wait, new American team....UH OH?

At least it isn't for Wii or PS2, which is what it sounded like with a previous interview.

farnham

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
What were the comments on RE4's control scheme?
appearantly good enough for a high score (as far as i remember everyone at EGM was like.. pshhh not interested.. port boring... Luke smith even called it a bad thing.. i think ryan o donnel, shane bettenhausen and marc mcdonald were the only people that were interested)

Rancid Mildew said:
What were the comments on RE4's control scheme?

Milky said "it's more complicated than it sounds, which saps some of the fun out of it." Mark had no problems with it, but Michael thought the new controls made the game too easy. Both Mark and Milky thought the game hasn't aged well graphically.

_leech_ said:
Milky said "it's more complicated than it sounds, which saps some of the fun out of it." Mark had no problems with it, but Michael thought that the new controls made the game too easy. Both Mark and Milky thought the game hasn't aged well graphically.

Thanks a lot. That's very disappointing.

Anzu

Banned
NGS and ODS got monster scores :) Disappointed that SH5 is by the american team though, wtf :/

A new Soul Calibur game other than the Wii waggle-me-do? Hmm, better be a full-on fighter, preferably on PS3/360.

Rumored new Midnight Club? Didn't they already announce Midnight Club: LA for 2008?

In other news... EGM rumors suggest there might be a new Halo game this fall.

duckroll

_leech_ said:
Review Scores - Playstation 2
Grim-Grimoire: 6, 6, 7

Review Scores - Nintendo DS
Simcity DS: 6.5, 6.5, 6

Review Scores - Playstation Portable
Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon: 6.5, 6, 5

Hmmmmmmmmm......

mollipen

_leech_ said:

If this is true, I don't know what to think. All depends on if the America team is just doing the programming, or is designing the entire game. On one hand, it could work, because I don't know that I trust Team Silent anymore. On the other hand, it might not work, because I don't know that I trust any American team with Silent Hill.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Good and Bad for RE4 and NG Sigma please!!!

RE4
Good: The best Resident Evil on Wii? Sounds good!
Bad: Fussy controls = No joy.
The Shakes: Intense waggling replaces button mashing.

NG Sigma
The Good: Most polished, value-added version to date.
The Bad: Feels a tad antiquated and glitchy.
Ridiculously Sexy: Rachel's idle animation.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SaggyMonkey said:
Rumored new Midnight Club? Didn't they already announce Midnight Club: LA for 2008?

In other news... EGM rumors suggest there might be a new Halo game this fall.

It takes time to write magazines you know. Clearly this issue was written before Midnight Club 4's announcement.

bud

_leech_ said:

first it's the jpn team then it's the us team then it's 'uhm we haven't decided which system to put it on yet lol' and now this!? i know it's just a rumour but silent hill 5 is one of the great mysteries of our generation.

Huh, I thought a game couldn't be SotM if it got a score higher than a 4.0 (which was their explanation for why IIRC EtM didn't get that "award"). Consistency FTL?

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
_leech_ said:

Good thing i don't play sports games any more. I guess since getting the reminiscence of the NFL did SO well for EA.

PkunkFury

_leech_ said:
Milky said "it's more complicated than it sounds, which saps some of the fun out of it." Mark had no problems with it, but Michael thought the new controls made the game too easy. Both Mark and Milky thought the game hasn't aged well graphically.

so it's more complicated than you'd think, yet it makes the game easier?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
davepoobond said:
was the 300 game for PSP good?

Mediocre.

PkunkFury said:
so it's more complicated than you'd think, yet it makes the game easier?

I'm guessing aiming is easier, but doing actions that are now replaced with waggle controls make the game kinda confusing? I dont know.

Ceb

If Team Silent (in before CVX and jarrod :D) aren't working on SH5, I'd like to know WHAT THE HELL THEY'VE BEEN DOING SINCE 2003/2004. :(

Dascu

Surprised at Parappa PS3. I was expecting it to be on Wii after all this Nintendo praise from Masaya Matsuura ("PS3 is too big").

Good news about the Soul Calibur games. I wonder if they'll have anything on SC4.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
_leech_ said:
I

If EA gets the NBA license, I swear to god, I'm going to go into game developing just so I can join EA canada and make sure they have somebody on their development team that has played in a 5 on 5 basketball game in real life.

Krowley

_leech_ said:

The idea of it becoming too easy was my only concern... i haven't been agreeing with EGM much latley so I'll be waiting for other reviews but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit easier. The control scheme is a perfect match for the wii but that could be a blessing and a curse since they probably haven't tweaked the difficulty to ballance out with the more precise aiming.

tribal24

Banned
if ea were to get the nba and mlb license would that stop sony from making the show? i would hate for the show and nba2k to disaapear-_-

Ceb said:
If Team Silent (in before CVX and jarrod :D) aren't working on SH5, I'd like to know WHAT THE HELL THEY'VE BEEN DOING SINCE 2003/2004. :(

All money is going into MGS4 development. Team Silent Hill is making the movie!

Top Bottom