• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files trademark for "Resistance" in Europe

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Today, on January 26, 2015, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited filed in Europe a trademark application for "Resistance". It is a basic Community trade mark (CTM) filing for Computer game software, Toys, games and playthings and Electronic games services provided by means of the Internet. The filing entered the database of the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM) today, and reads as follows:

Trade mark information

Name: RESISTANCE
Filing number: 013679881
Basis: CTM
Date of receipt: 26/01/2015
Type: Word
Nature: INDIVIDUAL
Nice classes: 9, 28, 41 ( Nice Classification )
Vienna Classification
Filing date: 26/01/2015
Registration date
Expiry date
Designation date

Filing language: English
Second language: French
Application reference: AWP/LDP/T138536EM00
Trade mark status: Application under examination
Acquired distinctiveness: No

Goods and services

9 Computer game software; computer software for video games or for games machines; video games; electronic devices for the wireless receipt, storage and/or transmission of data and messages; downloadable electronic publications; sound and/or video recordings featuring music, entertainment and/or games.

28 Toys, games and playthings; computer game apparatus; electronic games; computer games apparatus adapted for use with an external display screen or monitor; video game machines; portable games with liquid crystal displays; computer peripheral devices for playing computer games; computer games controllers; electronic apparatus and instruments all for use in computer and video gaming; handheld electronic games; handheld computer games; bags and cases adapted or shaped to contain any of the aforementioned goods.

41 Electronic games services provided by means of the Internet; Internet games (non-downloadable); arranging of games; organizing of games; education; entertainment services; entertainment services provided online and/or via a computer database for matching users for the transfer or sharing of computer games, music, video and audio recordings via communications networks; organizing, staging and the provision of on-line tournaments; entertainment by means of wireless television broadcasts; provision of customized web pages for featuring game player information, including information regarding a player's identity and the player's preferences; the provision of on-line electronic publications; information relating to all of the aforementioned.

Owners

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited

ID: 276344
Organisation: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
Legal status: Legal Entity
State/county: n/a
Town: London
Post code: W1F 7LP
Address: 10 Great Marlborough Street
Correspondence address:
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
10 Great Marlborough Street
London W1F 7LP
REINO UNIDO
Source: https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/013679881

The original trademark for "Resistance:Fall of Man" was registered in Europe on October 9, 2007, and will expire on March 8 next year. That filing has seen no changes as far as I can tell.

For U.S. serial number trademark 78819976, "Resistance Fall of Man", a Combined Declaration of Use and Incontestability under Sections 8 & 15 was filed in July last year. U.S. serial number trademark 77645307, Resistance, has not seen any events since 2010. No new filings of "Resistance" has been made public by the USPTO at time of writing.

Whether this is for something entirely new or for protection only I don't know, to be noted is that Resistance: Burning Skies for PS Vita was released in 2012. For this filing to be connected specifically to that seems a bit strange however, and that they waited for so long to submit an application doesn't make much sense.

There you have it anyway. I don't have access to full information at the moment, but will update this post in a few hours should anything interesting emerge.

Searched but found no earlier posts.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Sounds like the don't want to let the brand go in case of future games rather than an actual game being in the works.

2567935-002.jpg

EGOMON

One of my favorite FPS of last gen the setting and the story are freakin amazing, bring it on Sony

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's just to protect the trademark. I feel like we do this every time something is registered.

I would love for this franchise to be rebooted. But I feel this is nothing more than a trademark renewal meaning there's nothing planned for now (they still see value in it)

Varth

A Master Chief Collection-like operation with the whole saga, the PSP chapter, coop from 2 and multi with a mix of maps and modes from all chapters* would please me greatly.

Also, while I really loved the first one only and don't really like the road they went down with sequels (story and atmosphere wise mostly), fuck "let it die" comments. Weapon wheel shooters FTW.

*with working online :p

eFKac

it'snothing.gif

But I would welcome a reboot.

I may be the only person in the world that decided to go with the PS3 because of Resistance Fall of Men specifically (and a bit of MGS 4).

Such an underutilized and mishandled universe, where the hell is Retribution 2 and that story arc?

And why close the door for a direct sequel after R3 for a shitty 3 minute radio audition and a couple of post cards? Who the fuck greenlit this? Arghhh I'm pissed again.

dalin80

Banned
Remake RFOM and remove R2 from cannon with an apology and I will be a happy bunny. Still my favourite fps of the past gen.

I've mixed feelings of the Resistance series overall, but I'd gladly see another if Sony puts a good developer on it. Probably a reboot is in order by now however. And personally I never really cared for the WWII-era setting, and I wouldn't mind if they moved it around a bit to a different era.

Eh, probably just plugging some legal holes, just like Nintendo registering "Virtual Boy" and "Polarium" trademarks few months ago.
It's just to protect the trademark. I feel like we do this every time something is registered.

Yes. So, guys, do not hype anything!

Omfg if this is Resistance then I'm on the flipping moon!!!! Omfg!!!! my favourite shooter of last gen!!!

Imagine the next resistance with a similar
R:FOM multiplayer with R2 co-op with R3 SP

Resistance 1 had some of my favorite MP last gen, and Resistance 3 had one of the best campaigns. I'd like to see more from this franchise, but I struggle to believe this is anything but trademark protection.

Hope: They retcon Resistance 2 and 3, and follow up R:FOM with a direct sequel set in Britain again with the same atmosphere and style.

Reality: Protecting their intellectual property.

EGM1966

Either protecting the brand or something unconnected to it probably.

Still I'd take a decent reboot if they don't screw it up this time around.

The core alternative history concept was solid and there's a lot of potential in the concept still.

Pity Insomniac managed to go awry with R2 really.

It just reminded me of a conversation on the Giant Bombcast about naming reboots. They joked that you just need to add "The" to the original name and your done.

The Devil Make Cry
The Saints Row
The Tomb Raider

Or just add an S on the end to make it sound bigger than it used to be.

Saints Rows
Tomb Raiders
Devil May Crys

Reboot it as a third-person shooter and I'll buy it.

Ugh, god no. Why would Sony do that when they've got a few successful TPS series, and they've never really had much success on the FPS side?!

Auctopus

The premise was far more interesting to me than the final product. I'm open-minded for a re-boot, I hope they give it to another studio - Guerilla Cambridge, perhaps?

Top Bottom