• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft teases Might and Magic X. Reveal at PAX East(?)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I *love* this franchise and am deeply afraid of what a big publisher like Ubisoft are going to do to utterly ruin everything that was great about it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
‏@MightMagicGame

By the way, there is a secret page having made its apparition on a M&M site. Can you find it and discover something new ...?

https://twitter.com/MightMagicGame

0000000chkbw.png

Huh. Well, I wonder who is developing it.

...do Obsidian have any unannounced projects?

Obsidian? Why would you want Might & Magic from them? Obsidian has never made a first-person RPG, and if this game is going to be anything at all like the series it's numbered to be a part of, it certainly should be a first-person type RPG...

Salsa

Obsidian? Why would you want Might & Magic from them? Obsidian has never made a first-person RPG, and if this game is going to be anything at all like the series it's numbered to be a part of, it certainly should be a first-person type RPG...

Fallout_New_Vegas.jpg

granted Fallout 3 did all the lifting but still

True, I forgot about that one. Also I remember that Black Isle was working on Stonekeep 2 through the late '90s, too.. though given that that project was in development for like five years but never even got far enough along for a single screenshot to release, it has to have been pretty troubled.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Huh, nothing subtle about some of the VERY classic sprites in that X.
I'll key my optimism down to 'cautious' levels.

Honestly, it's not like the mainline franchise didn't really stumble towards the end there anyway.

I'm ready for a reboot.
More than ready.

Tarsul

better Obsidian than anyone that I dont have any trust in.

Actually I never believed in a sequel but with the successes of Elder Scrolls, Dragons Dogma, Dark Souls, Dragon Age... there is a big market for RPGs of this caliber and Ubisoft wants its share.

However, I cannot even begin to imagine how they would stay true to its roots and at the same time be "mainstream".

At least Open World and group based adventuring should be mandatory. I just have to try to not expect anything similar to IV/V or VI...

Slavik81

I *love* this franchise and am deeply afraid of what a big publisher like Ubisoft are going to do to utterly ruin everything that was great about it.
It's not like this franchise hasn't seen bad games before. What's the worst they could do?

Durante

I'm curious. We have enough isometric RPGs for now (I never thought I'd say this! so good) so it's nice to see something that should be very different.

The mainline RPG's were all strong except for 9, which would have been great if it wasn't so rushed.

I don't think they could help it with IX though, 3DO was going under... but yeah, the main titles were mostly solid, but those spinoffs... some of those were pretty bad.

SuomiDude

Damn, wish it would be like M&M VII, my favorite M&M game by far. I even bought M&M IX, although I knew it sucks, but I played it many years ago, couldn't beat it then, so I had to get it now to finally beat the game. Only cost 2€ though, so didn't lose too much money.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Oh god yes! i love M&M!

Hopefully they keep the MM6-8 aesthetic. Looking at that X image makes me want to load up MM6 again and finish my portrait journey.

O4I1oiQ.jpg

edit:

Something in the style of Elder Scrolls maybe?

They already kind of are.

Gannd

Banned
I absolutely love Might & Magic but I don't trust Ubi Soft to do the game justice. It's just going to be a fantasy game and I bet have very little in common with the games I grew up loving.

V_Arnold

Cautiously optimistic.

Might and Magic VI has ten times more depth that any modern Skyrim-esque RPG could hope to have, but I doubt that that is the way X is going to take.

Please, just do not copy Skyrim. Please. You have a much, much better base in the form of the older games.

Rolf NB

Wasn't their last game, Dungeon Siege 3, mediocre at best?
They always make mechanically sound games. DS3 is a lot of fun later on. It takes a while to fill out the skill tree, and that makes the first few hours a bit of slog, granted. But I wouldn't call it mediocre at best.

I also found it impressive how decent New Vegas was, even under the constraints of Bethesda's crappy engine. They made the combat suck much less, they made weapon choices meaningful again, they completely fixed the skill/attribute system etc.

When I run down my mental list of western studios still actively making RPGs, Obsidian is pretty high up in my book.

King Boo

another standard heroes game? a game like the nintendo ds version? another tactical game based on might and magic with gameplay similar to final fantasy tactics? a game similar to oblivion/skyrim? oh the possibilities...

Radogol

another standard heroes game? a game like the nintendo ds version? another tactical game based on might and magic with gameplay similar to final fantasy tactics? a game similar to oblivion/skyrim? oh the possibilities...

Sure, reboots and all, but a game called Might & Magic X, teased with graphics from Might & Magic VI-IX pretty much has to be a first person RPG, no matter how dumbed down.

Top Bottom