• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii games upscaled (not natively rendered in higher res) on WiiU

Eusis

yup, resident evil 4 runs at 360p on GC and Wii, which is why it looks so blurry... would've been nice if capcom upped the resolution for the Wii version given the additional processing power, but maybe it wasn't enough
It's hard to tell whether it wasn't enough or Capcom simply didn't care, neither would surprise me to be honest. Sometimes you need HUGE jumps to maintain performance at higher resolutions (Even if this isn't a huge jump), but we did have crap like Capcom not accounting for different controllers with button prompts. Or I needed to start a game with the GC controller and ignore the Wii Remote entirely, but still.

TheD

The Detective
It's sufficient as a summary of what happens, but he's right in that there are different algorithms that greatly affect the quality of the stretched image. If the Wii U's scaler is better than your TVs scaler, then it can in fact make games look better on that TV than they otherwise would. Colour / image quality improvement is possible due to not going through a DAC too (as on Component)

But he is not right in attacking MThanded, upscailing can not make an image look better than the input, best it can do is make it look the same but with more pixels.

PS2 games upscaled by PS3 could be amazing, too bad it introduced severe lag in the process, but that could be the product of interlaced/progressive conversion more than of upscaling itself.
A pure digital signal (hdmi) from source to display like it happens on WiiU will produce a way better picture than a signal that goes from digital to analog sampling (component) and than to digital reconversion again to be displayed. That's a fact.
So the questions are:
- How much does it lag?
- Is the underscan undefeatable? Even if this could be that in 1080p, the tvs of the users that reported the thing simply default in exact scan 1:1 mapping (which is the case for standard non-underscanning games), and so this issue can be avoided adjusting the overscan setting.

TUROK

The ignorance is yours!

"Stretching the image" is an adequate description and it can never make an image look better!

Grow up!

But he is not right in attacking MThanded, upscailing can not make an image look better than the input, best it can do is make it look the same but with more pixels.
Except you and him are off-base.

A 640x480 image being outputted to a 1920x1080 display is going to look better using scaling algorithm like lanczos or bicubic than that same image being outputted to that same display using an algorithm like nearest neighbor.

Educate yourself.

iphys

The Wii was 720x480 (non-square pixels). It really sucks because my monitor only has options to stretch to fill the 16:10 screen or display in the aspect ratio of the resolution, which was 3:2 for the Wii, so regardless of whether I set my Wii to 4:3 or 16:9 my Wii games looked distorted. I'm really glad the Wii U is upscaling to 1080p, so I won't have to play distorted games anymore, especially for Tetris.

I can't wait to see how the Wii U handles the terrible PAL Virtual Console ports, and the awful PAL conversion 50hz games (Madworld, for example).

Spazznid

-I know the 360 has some games in a much higher res. At least, it seemed like games like SSX 3 were almost being run at 720+, but that was after a few patches and still most 360 games aren't Backwards Compatible. Also there seems to be no more work being done on BC, so at least we can play pretty much the entire Wii Library. I'd rather pay for select games in HD on the new Virtual Console and in disc format. For an HD Camecube/wii Zelda, Mario, and Metroid, Nintendo can haz all mai munnies.

Josh7289

PS2 games upscaled by PS3 could be amazing, too bad it introduced severe lag in the process, but that could be the product of interlaced/progressive conversion more than of upscaling itself.
A pure digital signal (hdmi) from source to display like it happens on WiiU will produce a way better picture than a signal that goes from digital to analog sampling (component) and than to digital reconversion again to be displayed. That's a fact.
So the questions are:
- How much does it lag?
- Is the underscan undefeatable? Even if this could be that in 1080p, the tvs of the users that reported the thing simply default in exact scan 1:1 mapping (which is the case for standard non-underscanning games), and so this issue can be avoided adjusting the overscan setting.

Big concern with me too.

If they can hijack the Wii video output and send it through a scaler, why can't they take the same thing and send it through the Gamepad video encoder? That would still leave controlling an issue for the end user, but oh well.
TUROK said:
Except you and him are off-base.

A 640x480 image being outputted to a 1920x1080 display is going to look better using scaling algorithm like lanczos or bicubic than that same image being outputted to that same display using an algorithm like nearest neighbor.

Educate yourself.
It's true that not all scaling methods are equal; but they were saying that even the best scaling can only hope to match the original.
Bill Rizer said:
- How much does it lag?
Josh7289 said:
Big concern with me too.
Shouldn't be a problem. I haven't tried a Wii game on Wii U yet, but I haven't had any trouble with NSMBU being scaled up by the system.

JimboJones

Whats funny about asking if WiiU games are upscalled? Wouldn't NSMB U be upscalled to 1080p if it's native resolution is 720p?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Someone should try The Last Story and see how it looks and if framerate drops

I plan on trying it this week, if there's an easy way to get my save file from my Wii over to my Wii U. I probably need to buy an SD card or something, which I don't have

I dunno, I'm playing Last Story on my Wii U right now, and I can't really tell if there's any difference or not. Admitably, it's been a few months since I played it.

I dunno, I'm playing Last Story on my Wii U right now, and I can't really tell if there's any difference or not. Admitably, it's been a few months since I played it.
I didn't notice it as much in that as I did xenoblade. It's a rather brown game from what I've played so that might have something to do with it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The PS3 doesn't even upscale PS3 games. If you have your system set to 1080p but put in a 720p game, the PS3 will switch to 720p when the game starts.

PS3 upscale some games to 1080, sometimes it put them in 720p(I guess it up to the developers)sometimes you even need to "force" it to go 1080p or 720p by unchecking the av setting.

Eusis

I didn't notice it as much in that as I did xenoblade. It's a rather brown game from what I've played so that might have something to do with it.
Yeah, if you want to see how color vibrancy improves on a new display or through new upscaling Last Story is one of the worst choices, a Mario game or Xenoblade is better. Hell, I bet Twilight Princess is too, though not as much as Skyward Sword.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Lanczos sucks. Too much ringing.
They all suck except for very complex and very slow fractal/spline based algorithms which take (at best) a few seconds to process a single image when the whole GPU is dedicated just for that. BenVista PhotoZoom Pro 5 is an example how something like this works, and it's seriously amazing. I've upscaled some Puppeteer 1280x720 screens to 2880x1880 to make a walpaper for my desktop - stuff is absolutely amazing.

Hiltz

I heard Wii games like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Okami are among the Wii titles that tend to look noticably bettter when played on Wii U.

Eusis

I heard Wii games like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Okami are among the Wii titles that tend to look noticably bettter when played on Wii U.
Have to try to dig up TvC sometime. Okami though... I'm sure it looks nicer, but it's probably equal in vibrancy to the PS3 version now, and that's natively HD (even 1080p! albeit with tearing). Still nice to know though!

I started Xenoblade on my Wii U. The system is upscaling, TV is receiving a 1080p signal in Wii mode.
Colors seem to be a lot more vibrant due to HDMI, IQ looks marginally better... it may just be me, but it seems as though there's less (for lack of a better word) haziness when looking at distant objects. (ie mechonis, clouds, distant outcroppings, etc)

Edit: I guess the haziness I was refering to was the ringing effect being gone on the Wii U...

ZeroCDR

Big concern with me too.

I'm not an expert with lag measuring tools and whatnot, but I do play a lot of fighting games so I definitely feel when something is off. I did play Tatsunoko vs. Capcom which performed great, no perceivable lag. My HDTV has 8ms of lag by itself on 1080p sources in HDMI pc mode.

So I assumed that the Wii U would output Wii games in the RGB color space.

It appears I was wrong.

When I am in Wii mode, my TV doesn't have access to its RGB settings. Which only normally happens when I'm playing a Bluray in Y′CbCr. So even over HDMI, the Wii U's Wii mode is still using the same color space output as the original Wii used for component video, just in digital form. Weird.

Top Bottom