• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Negaduck

Thought I'd ask in this thread as well.

I know you guys have done your share of leaking, but I was wondering, besides characters, could you possibly tell me if this gmae has 4 player tag(2v2)??

It is 2v2 but you can't call your partner in as an assist like mvc3.

In the middle of combos you are able to tag your other character in to finish the combo and switch the character you had control over.

It is 2v2 but you can't call your partner in as an assist like mvc3.

In the middle of combos you are able to tag your other character in to finish the combo and switch the character you had control over.

I meant like Street Fighter x Tekken tag. Like team red and team blue 4 player action.

Ya know, the only thing that would top that other thread's hate with how piss poor the supposed roster is, would be if it actually was Emo Dante in this instead. ;p

Spman2099

Ya know, the only thing that would top that other thread's hate with how piss poor the supposed roster is, would be if it actually was Emo Dante in this instead. ;p

At this point, I almost want that to happen. If the roster is going to be a pile of garbage then we might as well set it on fire...

At least Arthur and Firebrand made it.

Neoxon

In case any of you guys want to hear my thoughts on the MvCI situation in more detail, I'll be recording for VesperArcade's podcast tomorrow & Team Aerial Combo's on Thursday. From the looks of things, we may have a GAFer guest on Vesper's podcast besides myself.

I'm not doubting Ryce or the other guy, but the more I keep looking into this, the more I believe that this is an incomplete list. I'm not saying they're wrong. I'm saying this is a list for E3 and not the full game.

Neoxon

I'm not doubting Ryce or the other guy, but the more I keep looking into this, the more I believe that this is an incomplete list. I'm not saying they're wrong. I'm saying this is a list for E3 and not the full game.
Take it from someone who's been through this song & dance in the past, expect the worst & hope for the best.

Between Capcom's CFN server still taking long and this MVCI nonsense, Capcom really isn't looking that great right now.

I really would like to know what "we learned from SFV's problems" actually means. Infinite seems like the exact opposite of this.

That's the best case scenario.

But it'd be odd for both Ryce and Saikyo to hear and confirm this.

The roster does look incomplete. Like, I can't even believe Capcom and Marvel would agree that this was a good idea.

Spman2099

You are in the first stage still, my friend. Anger comes next.

Let me explain how I got to this understanding. The problem lies on the character choices, but more specifically, the Capcom side. All the characters on this list are literally low tier characters. Characters that anyone who has ever played UMVC3 knows you could toss and the majority population will be quite fine with.

Next is Arthur and Firebrand together. As well as Nemesis? These characters before the likes of Wesker and Vergil? (I hate both. JS) This just screams "Let's show off our lesser characters and use are more popular characters as hype train reveals until release date"

Like, do y'all really think Capcom would really use MVC3 assests just to select the characters they did and call it a day? No... There's more. And you can come back to this post when you see it.

^I'm really hoping this is what ends up taking place.

But yeah, Firebrand, Arthur, and Nemesis being selected over characters that would obviously make much more sense in a game where story (Zero, Wesker, Vergil, etc) is a priority just seems so weird. I don't get it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Remember some of the first tidbits of info we got on the game was that the roster was huge (informally stated though, I will note) and that they won't release it until it's right.

IMO the reaction to the roster inclusions is pretty blown out of proportion. Disappointing? Yeah. Terrible/pre-order canceling bad/you have disgraced my family bad? No way that all of a sudden the gameplay doesn't look as fun to me or those characters don't look like they could add something. And the product being "right" is probably inclusive of an MCU roster that most modern Marvel fans are into. I don't know how many non-enthusiasts are in tears right now because Ant-Man is in and MODOK is not. I don't even know how much of an intentional bastion of obscure Marvel characters MvC ever really was when the quirkiest picks were because Japan had no idea what characters people liked or not at the time.

Also inclusive, is probably the feature set. They can't get away with releasing an MvC3-esque title again, and if there's been anything at the forefront of their messaging and marketing, it's been the story mode. We saw this iteration in the franchise get a different name and heard the different direction it's taking, now it's just coming into focus - assuming they've got a lot left to reveal in terms of modes, of course. And it has to be exceptional; like SFxTK or Injustice 2 amounts of content.

Let me explain how I got to this understanding. The problem lies on the character choices, but more specifically, the Capcom side. All the characters on this list are literally low tier characters. Characters that anyone who has ever played UMVC3 knows you could toss and the majority population will be quite fine with.

Next is Arthur and Firebrand together. As well as Nemesis? These characters before the likes of Wesker and Vergil? (I hate both. JS) This just screams "Let's show off our lesser characters and use are more popular characters as hype train reveals until release date"

Like, do y'all really think Capcom would really use MVC3 assests just to select the characters they did and call it a day? No... There's more. And you can come back to this post when you see it.
It screams "sell the game with shit characters, then make up the difference by DLCing the ones people want".

Remember some of the first tidbits of info we got on the game was that the roster was huge (informally stated though, I will note) and that they won't release it until it's right.

IMO the reaction to the roster inclusions is pretty blown out of proportion. Disappointing? Yeah. Terrible/pre-order canceling bad/you have disgraced my family bad? No way that all of a sudden the gameplay doesn't look as fun to me or those characters don't look like they could add something. And the product being "right" is probably inclusive of an MCU roster that most modern Marvel fans are into. I don't know how many non-enthusiasts are in tears right now because Ant-Man is in and MODOK is not. I don't even know how much of an intentional bastion of obscure Marvel characters MvC ever really was when the quirkiest picks were because Japan had no idea what characters people liked or not at the time.

Also inclusive, is probably the feature set. They can't get away with releasing an MvC3-esque title again, and if there's been anything at the forefront of their messaging and marketing, it's been the story mode. We saw this iteration in the franchise get a different name and heard the different direction it's taking, now it's just coming into focus - assuming they've got a lot left to reveal in terms of modes, of course. And it has to be exceptional; like SFxTK or Injustice 2 amounts of content.
Remember when the first tidbit we got on MvC3 was the awesome story mode they were planning out?

No matter how you look at it, RE5 Chris and Nemesis being the only RE reps in a game that wants to put emphasis on story is a big what the fuck choice. It doesn't make sense. I can understand Arthur returning, but alongside firebrand without another DMC rep is...no. That isn't even considering all of the other characters that were cut. Just a lot of bad choices.

If they think saving their best for DLC is a good choice, then I'm sorry, but they didn't learn shit from SFV's debacle. This will be another huge mess on their hands.

Dahbomb

Probably because they would reuse 100% of the UMvC3 roster.
Honestly I was expecting that. I was expecting a big roster BECAUSE they were reusing assets. Turns out Capcom sucks at even copy/pasting.

I think the main reason they didn't go all in on the roster was that they didn't have enough characters from the Marvel side to copy/paste because of no X Men/FF characters. But even then they could've had Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, Dormammu, MODOK and She Hulk in the game alongside 5 more copy/pasted Capcom characters. That's 38 characters, 6 more with DLC... that's a very solid 44 by the end of December.

Krixeus

I was just given permission to share this.

Arthur
Chris
Chun-Li
Dante
Firebrand
Jedah
Monster Hunter
Morrigan
Nemesis
Ryu
Spencer
Strider Hiryu
X

Ant-Man
Captain America
Captain Marvel
Doctor Strange
Gamora
Hawkeye
Hulk
Iron Man
Nova
Rocket/Groot (this is how the character was named to me; I’m not sure if it’s just Rocket Raccoon with Groot assists or a redesigned character actually called Rocket/Groot)
Spider-Man
Thanos
Thor
Ultron

The Capcom side is missing a character, but it’s probably someone like Frank West.

no-more-mutants-2.jpg

Honestly, I would have been fine if MvCi was ULTMATER MvC3, where the UMvC3 roster is copy/pasted with balance changes with a new combat system and a dozen new characters. I don't know how Nintendo can continue to port over almost their entire Smash roster each generation while Capcom seems to have to start from scratch every damn game.

Re: Graphics. I'd wait until later in the game's life to judge. Graphics are often one of the last details Capcom gets around to when putting everything together.

TDLink

Honestly, I would have been fine if MvCi was ULTMATER MvC3, where the UMvC3 roster is copy/pasted with balance changes with a new combat system and a dozen new characters. I don't know how Nintendo can continue to port over almost their entire Smash roster each generation while Capcom seems to have to start from scratch every damn game.

Re: Graphics. I'd wait until later in the game's life to judge. Graphics are often one of the last details Capcom gets around to when putting everything together.

Do they though? Capcom basically invented the character update new release structure with SF2. They just intentionally reset it. Half the roster here is clearly ported from MvC3. They could have done more, it's a deliberate choice not to. MvC2 they literally just pulled characters from whatever fighting game they could, already made, with only a small handful of new additions. They've been pulling this crap for a long time.

Top Bottom