• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Redesign Cover Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Sorry if I come off as incredibly stupid, but is there a kind of paper/printer I should use? I want it to look exactly like a normal cover.

infamous28kcb.jpg
Printed using a HP F4480 that the gf bought for $40 last year to do wedding invitations. Swiped some HP Professional Paper for Laser printers in Matt, A4, 200gsm. Used Photoshop to print out, changing the size at printing. Unfortunately it seems a bit too tall for the PAL cases, might need to crop them out in future.
Looks a thousand times better than the busy original cover. Thinking that Matt doesn't pop enough and may have to pick up some Semi Gloss paper. As it looks a little washed out.

Vormund

corrosivefrost said:
I can do that up soon -- you have a preference on adding the logo to the front? I was toying around with the dragon + text logo vs the text logo on the bottom left in the blackness. Your call though, if you're requesting it for 360. ;)

I was thinking the same as the PS3 boxart just replaced with the greyed out 360 logo.

But your other idea sounds good. :)

ombz

reptilescorpio said:
http://www.abload.de/img/infamous28kcb.jpg Printed using a HP F4480 that the gf bought for $40 last year to do wedding invitations. Swiped some HP Professional Paper for Laser printers in Matt, A4, 200gsm. Used Photoshop to print out, changing the size at printing. Unfortunately it seems a bit too tall for the PAL cases, might need to crop them out in future.
Looks a thousand times better than the busy original cover. Thinking that Matt doesn't pop enough and may have to pick up some Semi Gloss paper. As it looks a little washed out.
How did you cut the photo paper?

ombz said:
How did you cut the photo paper?
With scissors. Horribly. :(
Wasn't too bad really, just had to get used to it. Only looks weird up close.
Planning on doing a batch and taking them to the office store next to work, they will probably let me use the guillotine.

Mithos

reptilescorpio said:
Unfortunately it seems a bit too tall for the PAL cases, might need to crop them out in future.
Maybe your printer isn't obeying the software (I know my printer doesn't).
When I print from Photoshop to my printer (Canon MG5150) and tell it to print as 27.3cm x 14.83cm (10.75" x 5.84"), the printer actually prints it as 27.7cm x 15.1cm (10.9" x 5.92").

So I had to reprint and reprint until I got the numbers needed for my printer to actually print it as 27.3cm x 14.83cm (10.75" x 5.84").

Edit:
However will be printing so that the finished covers will be at 27.2.cm x 14.8cm (10.7"x 5.82") in the future, slightly less problem placing it in the plastic-cover of the case.

zaidr

Hey RedSwirl, is there a reason why the 360 version of these covers are more desaturated? Most pronounced was the Farcry3 one, but after that, I noticed it on all of them. Does the green case mess with the colours, so you desaturated them or something?

RedSwirl said:
Okay here they come. A lot of these are for the future:

I tried printing from my printer (my dad recently gave me his HP 6300) and while quality was good, colours were way off. Greys all looked green.

:(

Also, I'm thinking of making some templates for OG Xbox, Gamecube and GBA if anyone's interested.

Mithos said:
Maybe your printer isn't obeying the software (I know my printer doesn't).
When I print from Photoshop to my printer (Canon MG5150) and tell it to print as 27.3cm x 14.83cm (10.75" x 5.84"), the printer actually prints it as 27.7cm x 15.1cm (10.9" x 5.92").

So I had to reprint and reprint until I got the numbers needed for my printer to actually print it as 27.3cm x 14.83cm (10.75" x 5.84").

Edit:
However will be printing so that the finished covers will be at 27.2.cm x 14.8cm (10.7"x 5.82") in the future, slightly less problem placing it in the plastic-cover of the case.
Thanks for the detail! I'll use those sizes with the next lot of prints. Looking forward to doing some Gog.com ones as well.

Mithos

Monkeylord said:
I tried printing from my printer (my dad recently gave me his HP 6300) and while quality was good, colours were way off. Greys all looked green.
Yeah I got the same when test-printing the Assassins Creed one with the upside-down building, greenish instead of greyish.
Might have been just because I printed onto normal paper, not photo-paper, and with standard settings not photo-settings.

reptilescorpio said:
Thanks for the detail! I'll use those sizes with the next lot of prints. Looking forward to doing some Gog.com ones as well.
Well, just measure your printed cover, and see how much to big it is, next time subtract that amount from width x height and print see if its fits better into the "27.2cm x 14.8cm" or "27.3cm x 14.83cm" measurements.

Mithos said:
Yeah I got the same when test-printing the Assassins Creed one with the upside-down building, greenish instead of greyish.
Might have been just because I printed onto normal paper, not photo-paper, and with standard settings not photo-settings.

I tried on photopaper too and got the same result. It may be that I need to try HP photopaper (this was a batch of Epson paper I had left over from the last time I had a printer).

I probably just need to spend a few days, tons of paper and probably all my ink trying to calibrate by eye... or buy a colourimeter and see if I can do it properly. Expensive either way :(

Birbo

Some great stuff in this thread. If I didn't do design & layout stuff all day for work, I might be inclined to join in the fun.

Looking at some of these covers make me want to play games I haven't touched in months.

mblitek

Birbo said:
[...]

Looking at some of these covers make me want to play games I haven't touched in months.

Amen to that! Hell, I want to buy them, printer & paper so I can look at them. Then, line up all the spines in perfect OCD style and stare at their magnificence. Oh yeah.

mk9.360.frontlogo.prevlet7.png

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?vwx0kiyq51p384c

Forgot the drop shadow on the spine logo -- but because of the scaling/layer shenanigans I had to pull to change proportions to the 360 case size, the spine wasn't as similar in orange tint to the logo, so it doesn't look bad, I think.

If for some reason, you want something tweaked, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

RedSwirl

zaidr said:
Hey RedSwirl, is there a reason why the 360 version of these covers are more desaturated? Most pronounced was the Farcry3 one, but after that, I noticed it on all of them. Does the green case mess with the colours, so you desaturated them or something?

If it's anything it's the cover format itself. I did nothing to the images between versions.

The PR Assassin said:
What kind of paper do you guys use to print these?

I tell them to use glossy text paper.

Holy fuck @ dat charted

edit: RedSwirl you should find a way to blend the split colors on the Ico/Colossus cover-- otherwise its getting printed.

Omega

Banned
brandonh83 said:

Holy fuck @ dat charted

edit: RedSwirl you should find a way to blend the split colors on the Ico/Colossus cover-- otherwise its getting printed.

I feel like such a noob. :(

So..do you just go to Staples or any other store with this images on a USB drive?

Canova

Banned
The PR Assassin said:
I feel like such a noob. :(

So..do you just go to Staples or any other store with this images on a USB drive?

yeah, go to Office Depot or kinkos o Grand & Toy, etc with a USB drive and bring a sample of PS3 cover. It's cheap, i printed over 35 for no more than 27 bukcs

those Uncharted 3 and ICO covers are beautiful, consider them on my next print batch

I might have to give up on this. It's gonna cost me a fortune!

If I do one I'd have to do them all... DS, GBA, Gamecube, Wii, PS3, Xbox and Xbox360. That's several hundred.

Pooh!

PerZona

I LOVE the FFXIII-2 cover, it's the same wallpaper that i am using for my desktop.

And the UC3, MGS HD collection and the FFXIII ones are really nice, gonna print them out this weekend :D

RedSwirl

brandonh83 said:

Holy fuck @ dat charted

I'd rather not mess with the front. I actually didn't do that art. It's a piece of fan art I found somewhere (probably DA). That's why I left that signature in the corner to keep credit to whoever did it.

.GqueB. said:
What type face did you use for this? I needs em.

No idea. If I ever find contact info for the guy who did that art I'll tell you guys.

I'll look into GTA4 potentially -- I was working on Bioshock 2, but none of the artwork I had was cooperating with me when I was trying last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom