• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thi4f Getting GDC Presentation (First Unveiling)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that Thi4f is getting a GDC presentation.

GDC Website said:
Stealing Sound: Generative Music in THIEF Speaker/s: Paul Weir (Eidos Montreal)
Day / Time / Location: TBD
Track / Format: Audio / Lecture

Description:
Innovative audio has been at the heart of the original THIEF titles and Eidos Montreals new THIEF is no exception, this presentation will mark the first time that the game has been spoken about publicly. This talk will argue for the benefits of using generative music in games and will present a theoretical framework for its justification. Developers should more enthusiastically embrace alternative music models to resolve ongoing issues with linearity and to create a musical aesthetic that pushes away from the shadow of film. I will show our custom generative system (GRAMPS), demonstrate its key design features and suggest some best practice techniques. Ill also discuss how using a single person as the composer, sound designer and audio director on a AAA title can help create a unified sound field, blurring the lines between sound design and music.

Takeaway:
- The benefits of using a live generative music system over pre-rendered music from both a practical production perspective and for enhancing the user experience.
- A music theory approach as to why generative music can solve some issues regarding music, structure and its relationship with time.
- A challenge to composers to explore alternative composition models.
- The first public insight into Thief and its generative music engine.

Intended Audience: The talk may interest composers and sound designers as well as game designers. It is focused on the theory and practice of generative music with practical demonstrations and the role music can play in general. No prior technical experience is required.

Eligible Passes: Main Conference Pass, Audio Pass, All Access Pass
Source: http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/12242

ultron87

That actually sounds like a really interesting panel. The idea about "pushing away from the shadow of film" is definitely something that game music needs to do at some point.

Are they really still calling it Thi4f officially?

stuminus3

Is this kind generative music thing sort of like what iMuse did or is it something different? I don't really follow what they mean. I guess the presentation will explain.

I'd love to see games mix together something sort of in between what Koji Kondo did in Ocarina of Time (songs would be composed of several mixable bars of music so the mood could change without altering the music's tempo) and what MediaMolecule did in LittleBigPlanet with having each song set up as about eight mixed audio tracks that could be selectively turned on and off.

It'd be nice to have a song that plays continuously but that has certain instruments drop in and out of it depending on what you're doing (e.g. atmospheric music that gains a steady drumbeat and more of a melody while you're fighting enemies).

Still can't get over the stupid name but still looking forward to this. Will be interesting to see their approach to it (and hopefully we get some vids out of it).

stuminus3

FunkyPajamas said:
Oh, it's ubisoft, you just know they're going to pull an assassin's creed of some type.
Quick, pretend this was some kind of Western version of the Konami/Capcom joke!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Watching with interest, I like stealth games.

But I need to get it out of my system, so here is the obligatory "4 DOES NOT IN ANY WAY RESEMBLE AN E!"

The_Technomancer said:
Watching with interest, I like stealth games.

But I need to get it out of my system, so here is the obligatory "4 DOES NOT IN ANY WAY RESEMBLE AN E!"
Well they missed their chance with Thi3f

Good to see them giving a shit about the audio. Ambient sound effects like in Shalebridge Cradle throughout the game would make me play the game so hard

Dennis

Banned
Thief 1 and Thief 2 are landmark PC games this is great news.....

They are caling it 'Thi4f' ?

Jesus Christ that is lame, hope crushed.

Nothing spells neutered franchise like retard naming.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The name IS terrible, but if Deus Ex HR is anything to go off of, this could actually be a great game. Who's to say that the development team decided on that name anyways? I don't think it's fair to pass judgement simply because of that.

I'm cautiously excited, I suppose. Thief 2 is one of my favorite games of all time and I don't feel that any other franchise has nailed stealth gameplay quite like it.

Bungieware said:
If it's actually called Thi4f then I'm not going anywhere near it, no matter how good (or bad) it is.
Seriously? Ignoring a game simply because of its name is worse than what they are doing with the name itself. Much worse.

dark10x said:
Seriously? Ignoring a game simply because of its name is worse than what they are doing with the name itself. Much worse.
When some one told you that first impressions don't matter. They were lying.

Did the Thief series even have prominent music? Isn't it all about the (incredible) sound effects?

I'm ecstatic that they're unveiling Thief 4 in this way though.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
They seem to be putting a lot of money and effort into Deus Ex, so I can only hope they'll do the same for thief. Can't say I understand why they'd call it thi4f though, absolutely horrid naming convention that I don't think has ever paid off for anyone.

Grisby

Horrid vomit inducing name aside I'm hopeful for the game. I didn't start playing the old PC classics until a few years ago but I did have a friend set me up with 2 at an earlier age. Know what they were?

Diablo and Thief. Played 2 as well and even liked 3 (cradle baby, yeah).

Seems like there going into a good direction with Deus Ex so I wouldn't count this one out.

eternal prize said:
getting huge thief boner

Also, PLEASE for the sake of humanity do not make the game modern.

I've always wanted a modern Thief game. It could be really awesome if done right.

Clevinger

I really doubt it's still called Thi4f. Besides the huge initial backlash a long time ago, notice how there's only mention of "Thief" in the actual page he links to?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Eidos has been going in a good direction with Tomb Raider as well, supposedly. When Deus Ex 3 releases in a few months we'll know for sure. As a developer, they just might be the best thing to happen to Square Enix this generation.

Top Bottom