• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish (PC) |OT| Steam Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Knees

Man, do I suck at this game. I still can't get a grip on the controls and mechanics, and I always seem to get blind-sided.
I'm having a blast though, just wish I wouldn't die as much as I do.

So say we all.

I just hope that I get better at this. The game is amaze-balls when it comes to visceral action and feel!

Oreoleo

I have. The Steam controller seems to default to mapping the keyboard layout on the gamepad. Will wait for someone to make a default with mous-like-joystck.

Pretty simple to do yourself. Default gamepad bindings, right pad as mouse-like joystick, put left bumper on one of the grip buttons so you don't have to claw grip when you want to aim and boost at the same time, fiddle with the in game sensitivities to get it where you like and you're basically done.

ParityBit

So today (tomorrow?) I plan on finally finishing The Witcher 3 and all it's DLC. been a long ride since Xmas time!

So ..... do I start Vanguish or Bayonetta?!

Trojan X

Banned
Using old backup PC since my main PC is currently out of order:

i7 320 @ 3.4ghz
Memory 12 gb 1600mhz
GTX 680
2560x1600 Resolution 60hz

All settings - HIGH. Motion blur - OFF.

Average frame rate 65fps! Excellent! That means it's 60fps solid on my monitor. Sometimes it dips to 55fps when things go absolutely insane. On my main PC, I'm sure everything will run at over 100mhz easy!

Trojan X

Banned
So today (tomorrow?) I plan on finally finishing The Witcher 3 and all it's DLC. been a long ride since Xmas time!

So ..... do I start Vanguish or Bayonetta?!

Not being funny but that's a tough dilemma! haha. Once you start one of them you'll become insanely invested. The overall better game is Bayonetta but... perhaps play both?

Shredderi

My friend is saying that the game plays a bit too much like Gears of War in his opinion with lots of ducking behind cover with short burst of quick action. Is this true or does my friend suck? It just doesn't seem like the game I've seen in youtube all these years.

My friend is saying that the game plays a bit too much like Gears of War in his opinion with lots of ducking behind cover with short burst of quick action. Is this true or does my friend suck? It just doesn't seem like the game I've seen in youtube all these years.

You can play it like Gears if you want to, but that isn't optimal to the gameplay engine imo.

Llyranor

I'm debating KB/M vs gamepad. Mouse makes aiming way easier, the controls otherwise feel more comfortable with gamepad.
Frankly, your friend is playing it "wrong". Shooters don't really get more dynamic than this. Cover is there for you to take a breather, but you can absolutely dash and dodge around all over the place.

Mupod

did some experimentation and couldn't find any SLI bits that do anything. Well, aside from making the game minimize itself when I got on a turret, that was weird.

A single 970 seems to handle this very well at 1440p and maxed, so no big deal.

Grief.exe

Check this video on how to boost dodge and reload cancel. I get the impression you should never stop moving, but I'm new to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCC_YpoEugg

Hybris

First time playing last night, made it to act 3 in one sitting, loving it so far. It's got everything I want from a platinum game. Fast, mechanically deep gameplay. Cheesy cutscenes and characters.

Few questions:

1. If I drop an upgraded weapon, does it retain it's upgrades if I pick up another copy of it later?
2. Saw some gifs in here of people doing a boost kick, does that overheat you like other melee attacks?
3. Which weapons have alternate firing modes and how do i use them? I saw a gif in here of the LFE gun with a massive projectile.
4. How do I throw the cigarette on kb&m controls?
5. What controls sensitivity when aiming with mounted turrets? It's so damn slow compared to free look and aiming. Kinda wish the sensitivity slider had more room on the lower end also... I have free look set to 1 and it still is slightly faster than I would like to have it. Don't really want to lower the dpi on my mouse because I'll have to modify settings in other games. Playing on 800 dpi atm.

Mechazawa

Few questions:

If I drop an upgraded weapon, does it retain it's upgrades if I pick up another copy of it later?
Saw some gifs in here of people doing a boost kick, does that overheat you like other melee attacks?
Which weapons have alternate firing modes and how do i use them? I saw a gif in here of the LFE gun with a massive projectile.
How do I throw the cigarette on kb&m controls?
What controls sensitivity when aiming with mounted turrets? It's so damn slow compared to free look and aiming. Kinda wish the sensitivity slider had more room on the lower end also... I have free look set to 1 and it still is slightly faster than I would like to have it. Don't really want to lower the dpi on my mouse because I'll have to modify settings in other games. Playing on 800 dpi atm.

1. Yes. However, if you pick up an upgrade for a weapon and die before you hit a checkpoint, you'll lose the upgrade you just picked up.
2. A boost kick depletes your boost gauge like any other melee if it connects with an enemy.
3. Not sure what you mean here. Weapons don't really have alt fires, just the standard fire and the melee(although the disc launcher has a melee that depletes ammo rather than your boost gauge). One of the LFE gifs in the OP has a weapon upgrade, but none of the LFE upgrades make the projectile bigger. Are you sure you're not confusing a bigger FOV with a smaller LFE projectile?
4. Tossing a cigarette is whatever your boost button is mapped to while taking cover.

Mupod

if you die and want to keep your upgrades just go back to the main menu and reload the checkpoint. Loadtimes are nonexistent in this version so it barely takes any longer. I guess it's cheesing your rating this way too but hey who cares.

David___

Banned

Your friend is playing it like a normal shooter.

Vanquish isn't a normal shooter

Hybris

1. Yes. However, if you pick up an upgrade for a weapon and die before you hit a checkpoint, you'll lose the upgrade you just picked up.
2. A boost kick depletes your boost gauge like any other melee if it connects with an enemy.
3. Not sure what you mean here. Weapons don't really have alt fires, just the standard fire and the melee(although the disc launcher has a melee that depletes ammo rather than your boost gauge). One of the LFE gifs in the OP has a weapon upgrade, but none of the LFE upgrades make the projectile bigger. Are you sure you're not confusing a bigger FOV with a smaller LFE projectile?
4. Tossing a cigarette is whatever your boost button is mapped to while taking cover.

Thanks. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong. I only fired the gun once or twice.

nynt9

Does the game not support 21:9? I set my resolution to 3440x1440 but it's still in 16:9 with black bars on the sides. Also enabling subtitles doesn't do anything.

I've tested this multiple times using the AR mode tutorial (the bit where enemies shoot at you a bunch in order to demonstrate auto AR) and you take much more damage when playing at higher framerates. If you lock the framerate to 30FPS AR mode will activate after 6-7 seconds of taking enemy fire but if you're playing at a higher framerate, like 60FPS, it will activate in just 1-2 seconds.

30FPS
30fpsj2uuj.gif

60FPS
144fpszgu48.gif

Note the number of times Sam staggers.

This can be consistently reproduced.

GavinUK86

I've tested this multiple times using the AR mode tutorial (the bit where enemies shoot at you a bunch in order to demonstrate auto AR) and you take much more damage when playing at higher framerates. If you lock the framerate to 30FPS AR mode will activate after 6-7 seconds of taking enemy fire but if you're playing at a much higher framerate, like 144FPS, it will activate in just 1-2 seconds.

Wow, good find! Detective Gaf is on the case. Interesting that the game is more difficult on PC then. Helps that we have mouse aim I suppose though.

Mechazawa

I've tested this multiple times using the AR mode tutorial (the bit where enemies shoot at you a bunch in order to demonstrate auto AR) and you take much more damage when playing at higher framerates. If you lock the framerate to 30FPS AR mode will activate after 6-7 seconds of taking enemy fire but if you're playing at a much higher framerate, like 144FPS, it will activate in just 1-2 seconds.

Haha, holy shit that's a huge difference. Inadvertant mouse difficulty setting!

Kenstar

bah humbug back in MY day you died in one hit and ye liked it
Kids these days

and we didnt have no dang checkpoints neither

30FPS
30fpsj2uuj.gif

144FPS
144fpszgu48.gif

Well, shit.

Grief.exe

30FPS
30fpsj2uuj.gif

144FPS
144fpszgu48.gif

PC gamers want their challenge.

This is actually a common occurrence when you Jerry rig high frame rates.

ViviOggi

30FPS
30fpsj2uuj.gif

144FPS
144fpszgu48.gif

Holy shit lol that explains a lot. I was thinking this felt way less forgiving than I remember from my 360 playthrough

The Stig

Is anyone else having trouble downloading this?

The game downloads 114.3mb then stops........ I've tried deleting it and starting in another drive, restarted steam.........

This is dumb.

plushyp

Is anyone else having trouble downloading this?

The game downloads 114.3mb then stops........ I've tried deleting it and starting in another drive, restarted steam.........

This is dumb.
Try changing your download server from the settings.

Wow. So I take it that at 60fps it would activate after 3-4 seconds?

I'll take that as an additional challenge then.

30FPS
http://abload.de/img/30fpsj2uuj.gif[IMG]

[U][B]144FPS[/B][/U]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/144fpszgu48.gif[IMG]

This can be consistently reproduced.[/QUOTE]

So, how bad is it at 60 FPS? 3-4 seconds?

David___

Banned

30FPS
30fpsj2uuj.gif

144FPS
144fpszgu48.gif

Well that explains why I remember it being more forgiving when I played Hard mode on the PS3

Mupod

Haha what. This explains a lot actually. I'm playing on hard, average around 100fps and the game definitely feels far less forgiving than I remember. I suppose it works out as mouse aim makes the game easier.

30FPS
30fpsj2uuj.gif

144FPS
144fpszgu48.gif

Good find. I'll post this on the Steam hub so the devs can investigate this and fix it.

Parsnip

It took three months for a similar issue with Valkyria Chronicles to be fixed, by the same team that assisted with this port.
I think the VC bug was less severe than this, I could see it being considered a low priority and that's why it took so long. Not because it was difficult.

Obviously I wasn't on the dev team nor do I know the insides of the engine they are using here, it's just a guess. But this seems like a math problem and math is easy.

Gotta think positively.

One more nitpick. When using a mouse and keyboard and sliding towards the camera, there's some sort of animation bug that prevents Sam from actually looking/aiming behind him as he normally would. This isn't an issue if you pull off the same maneuver with a controller. I'd say it doesn't have an impact on gameplay, but your bullets do seem to be physically shooting out from a different location than normal. And it just looks incredibly silly.

Controller
controllerlhuve.gif

Mouse
mousercu9a.gif

Edit: My mistake, the gif labeled 144FPS was actually running at about 68FPS. I didn't note the drop in framerate from recording with FRAPS. Luckily, the damage seems to stop scaling after 60FPS (it still takes about a second for AR mode to activate whether at 60FPS or 144FPS)

Knurek

I think the VC bug was less severe than this, I could see it being considered a low priority and that's why it took so long. Not because it was difficult.

It was more severe, actually.
Tanks couldn't go up slopes at higher framerates, making some missions unbeatable.
Also, damage you received while under fire was relative to framerate, making machine guns pretty much an instakill.

Obviously I wasn't on the dev team nor do I know the insides of the engine they are using here, it's just a guess. But this seems like a math problem and math is easy.

Gotta think positively.

Some dude proficient with Cheat Engine should be able to make a hack for 60 and 144fps. Find where player health gets subtracted from player, write script to reduce damage accordingly for higher framerates... maybe it's not that easy but that's what I imagine could be done relatively easy in theory (but who does it?)

Top Bottom