• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

MLH

Since it is the 10th anniversary of the franchise in NA, talk about how you discovered EO or what made you buy a game in the franchise? Would be nice.

Started with the first one. Just saw it in a shop bought it on impulse.

Gave it a go but found the controls cumbersome, got to my first FOE and got destroyed. It never really clicked with me so I dropped it. Map making was inaccurate, everything felt slow and lacking polish - particularity navigating menus (and what they displayed)

Some years later I saw a GAF hype thread for EO3, watched some trailers and ended up getting caught up in the hype too, learned far more about the series from the fans and went in prepared.

Easily became one of my favorite games on the DS. Everything I disliked about the first had been resolved - menu transitions were smooth and polished, Just allowing the use of the L + R buttons in both menus and dungeons improved the game massively.
Map making was improved, the touch was responsive and accurate. Stats and skills and descriptions were easier to see and improved.
The music and atmosphere of the game was amazing (then learned the music was done by Yuzo Koshiro!)
Still got my very first save of the game, I don't have the heart to wipe it to start over.

Since then I went back, played 2 and enjoyed it, gave 1 another go but still hate it :mad:

Hearing the music from the third game on a 1up.com music podcast.

This song: https://youtu.be/DU5jc9SwOZw

I'd spent an inordinate amount of time building parties and drawing maps on graph paper while playing Wizardry V back in the day, so I knew exactly what EO was going for right from the start. Even the rough first entry exceeded my expectations with its great character designs, background music and quality-of-life details (like warp wires). It was a perfect fit for the things I liked in an RPG.

I watched Giant Bomb's Quick Look of EO4 and it totally sold me on the game.

Downloaded the Demo and bought the game an hour later. After that I went back to EO3 and played the Untolds.

For me it was buying EO1,2,3 together from someone on ebay in india just when i got my 3DS and was looking at the DS catalogue. Boguht them together because I wanted to try non SMT atlus games on 3DS and the price was good. All still sealed lol. Ended up buying the actual 3DS games digitally (started with EOU and EOIV) then bought em physical. now i have multiple copies of all the 3DS EO Games. EO2U is still the GOAT for me.

I still need to get that EOIII artbook that came with the DS game in NA

Since it is the 10th anniversary of the franchise in NA, talk about how you discovered EO or what made you buy a game in the franchise? Would be nice.
I remember seeing EO1 in a Nintendo power and liking the style. Then EO2 came out and I bought it used at a Gamestop on a whim. I skipped 3 then got back into the series with 4. When the DS trilogy was reprinted I finished my collection and now I've played and own them all! Even EOMD, unfortunately.

Rutger

Banned

I heard someone say they were difficult games around the release of EOIII. I did a little bit of research before buying EOIII on a whim.

PK Gaming

Came across this song on youtube

"Oh god is this an actual battle theme?!"

Coincidentally, EOIV was on sale and the rest is history. Playing it through the summer was definitely some of the most fun I've had playing RPGs. I want to keep that going with EOV so hurry up and localize it AtlusUSA!

Well I never heard of it until EO4, I didn't really know about the series considering 2 & 3 never came out here in PAL-land.
I found out about it from a friend who said "check this demo out, it's rad" (said friend never actually got the game) and I spent a good 7 hours in the demo. I think I restarted it and made a better team once I found out the save was transferable. I think as soon as I entered the first labyrinth and heard the theme and then heard the battle theme I preordered it.

Seems like most of y'all started with IV. Bunch of whippersnappers.

At this rate they'll join us in being those crazy old people talking about the glory days.

I remember being interested in EO1 when it launched, but heard the game was broken as crap so I avoided it (I was young at the time). When EO2 dropped, I read some impressions and decided to jump in. I've gotten all of them at launch since then, and its easily one of my favourite series.

Sigh...

Did Atlus ever announce any EO games during E3 before? But yeah if they didnt do anything for the anniversary then can see why folks would be concerned. D:

Can't remember tbh. Don't know if John still posts on GAF because the atlusprime account is now with William from Atlus. I feel like John would've posted.

Nachos

-Find out about Persona 3
-Really interested in it, but not old enough
-Try getting it when it comes out anyway, since I've been at least 6' since I was 8. Hope I get someone who doesn't card me.
-Cashier is having none of it. Look at DS games and see something from the same developer
-Decide to get that instead.
-Get to the second stratum.
-Give up.
-Try again with Etrian 3.
-Give up at first stratum, so my skills are clearly regressing
-Try again with EO4 demo, and it finally clicks. Pre-order full game immediately after I'm done.
-Get Etrian Untold.
-Doesn't click for some reason; shelve it
-Nearly die in a bicycle accident
-Retry and 100% U1 while I'm stuck in bed for a month
-Then go back to finish pretty much everything else, except the original II

And now I'm here. I remember obsessing over IOSYS videos on the Wii internet browser, but I honestly can't remember if I already had the game at that point.

I'm actually fine with the pattern based bosses in 2U. It's better than dying because the boss decided to use Cry Soul 3 times in a row randomly. Big attacks are usually telegraphed so you can prepare for it.
My only problem is stuff like the Fire Demon, which can insta-kill you if you aren't prepared for it. The big fire breathing skill keeps getting stronger each time, so if you don't have fire wall or used your protector's/beast's force break or don't have a defensive class at all, there's not a whole lot you can do.

Did Atlus ever announce any EO games during E3 before? But yeah if they didnt do anything for the anniversary then can see why folks would be concerned. D:
They announced Untold 1 and then released it three-ish months later:
e3_faithful_eou.jpg

Oh yeah, speaking of which, I forgot to post this earlier. Via Reddit:
I figure they would've just said "we have no announcements at this time" if they weren't cooking up something.

Best case situation is it is announced at NIntendo's whatever thing at E3 as part of 3DS localizations alongwith SMT DSJ, RHC, etc from Atlus.

Worst case, homebrew 3DS, learn Japanese, never forgive Atlus USA (but mostly SEGA)

Nachos

Best case situation is it is announced at NIntendo's whatever thing at E3 as part of 3DS localizations alongwith SMT DSJ, RHC, etc from Atlus.

Worst case, homebrew 3DS, learn Japanese, never forgive Atlus USA (but mostly SEGA)
Yeah. Worst case, there's a translated playthrough going on at Something Awful, from someone who has experience translating things, and that community's the most tech-savvy EO community in the West. They've already discussed making a translation patch if Atlus never brings it over.

L~A

There was a live performance by the SQ F.O.E. band at the beginning. Recorded it for my website, so here's the link for those interested (sorry for poor video quality, that's NicoNico for you : | At least audio's fine.)

https://youtu.be/VS5kzdiCoh0

I doubt there's going to be any announcements, just some fun stuff and maybe some Mystery Dungeon 2 info.

They just announced the class popularity vote result

15. Medic(4)
14. Dancer (4)
13. Mystic
12. Shinobi
11. Shogun
10. Ronin
9. Landsknecht
8. Reaper
7. Protector
6. Runemaster
5. Imperial
4. Gunner
3. Princess
2. Zodiac
1. Nightseeker

That's from memory so some positions might be switched(Can't quite remember if Reaper was 8 or 9 and Dancer and Mystic might be reversed)

L~A

Huh, why is the Zodiac so popular? They've yet to appear in a 3DS installment.

I guess people who would take the time to vote in a poll for the 10th anniversary of the series are long-time fans.

Anyway, here's the footage for EMD2:

https://youtu.be/2xpvMJMfSUI

Last two live performances:

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-YGQthpuMw&feature=youtu.be
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=870myPzA6iY&feature=youtu.be

Oh, and I guess people liked the livestream. It was worth it just for the live performances, as far as I'm concerned.

Rutger

Banned

EOI's fifth stratum in first?
Eh, I've always liked it the least of the fifth stratum themes honestly. Not that it's a bad song, I think it starts amazingly, but then gets a little too whimsical for what should be a tragic area.

EOIII's boss theme should have been number 1.

Man, seeing a EOV theme hurts too much. D:

Zweizer

Banned
I guess people who would take the time to vote in a poll for the 10th anniversary of the series are long-time fans.

Even then, they only appeared in III and didn't really get any focus in any promotional material.

Last two live performances:

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-YGQthpuMw&feature=youtu.be
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=870myPzA6iY&feature=youtu.be

Oh, and I guess people liked the livestream. It was worth it just for the live performances, as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty nice, though that damn camera needs to give it a rest.

L~A

I guess that's what you get when you want to make things look dynamic, but all you have are fixed camera in a small livestream studio, ha ha.

Btw, tracklist of the album (NOT the same order as the votes, it seems):

▼Disc1
1 翠緑ノ樹海(DS音源版)
2 鉄華 討ち果て朽ち果て(DS音源版)
3 遺都シンジュク(DS音源版)
4 眠らずの戦場
5 Reaching out for our future(歌:いとうかなこ)
6 迷宮- 古跡ノ樹海(PC-8801FM版)
7 戦場 初陣(PC-8801FM版)
8 桜ノ立橋(PC-8801FM版)
9 迷宮- 天ノ磐座(PC-8801FM版)
10 戦場 響く剣戟の調べ(PC-8801FM版)
11 禁忌ノ森
12 血戦 身命を賭して
13 垂水ノ樹海(PC-8801FM版)
14 戦乱 荒れ狂う波浪の果て(PC-8801FM版)
15 白亜ノ森(PC-8801FM版)
16 剣を掲げ誇りを胸に(PC-8801FM版)

▼Disc2
17 戦場 討ち果て倒れる者(PC-8801FM版)
18 戦乱 それぞれの正義(PC-8801FM版)
19 戦乱 その忌むべき名を呼べ(PC-8801FM
版)
20 迷宮- 碧照ノ樹海
21 戦場 疾風
22 迷宮- 深霧ノ幽谷
23 戦場 一重向こう側の死
24 大地- 絶界雲上域
25 迷宮- 木偶ノ文庫
26 己が信念を杖に
27 吹き荒ぶ熱風の果て
28 戦場 双眸爛爛と
29 迷宮- 円環ノ原生林
30 戦場 明日を掴むは死闘の先

Since I don't think there's an official English translation of the track names... Here's what I was able to get from YouTube:

Disc 1

Labyrinth I - Emerald Woodlands (DS Sound Source Ver.)
Battle - Destruction Begets Decay (DS Sound Source Ver.)
Labyrinth V - The Fallen Capital of Shinjuku (DS Sound Source Ver.)
Battlefield's Awakening
Reaching out for our future (Artist: Itou Kanako)
Labyrinth I Ancient Forest (PC-8801F Ver.)
The First Campaign (PC-8801F Ver.)
Cherry Tree Bridge (PC-8801F Ver.)
Heavenly Keep (PC-8801F Ver.)
Inspecting the Resounding Weapons (PC-8801F Ver.)
Forbidden Wood
Bloody Battle - Betting It All
Waterfall Woodland (PC-8801F Ver.)
The End of Raging Waves (PC-8801F Ver.)
Porcelain Forest (PC-8801F Ver.)
Hoist the Sword and Pride in the Heart (PC-8801F Ver.)

Disc 2

Those That Slay and Fall (PC-8801F Ver.)
Their Own Brand of Justice (PC-8801F Ver.)
Calling that Detestable Name (PC-8801F Ver.)
Labyrinth I - Lush Woodlands
Battlefield - Storm
Labyrinth II - Misty Ravine
Battlefield - The Fall of the Final Enemy
Area IV - The Land Beyond The Clouds
Labyrinth IV - Echoing Library
Faith is My Pillar
The End of Raging Winds
With Eyes Blazing
Labyrinth V - Virgin Forest
Battlefield - Grab Tomorrow

Probably got a few wrong.

Source: http://www.4gamer.net/games/375/G037512/20170519127/

I wonder why though. Did EO2U not sell enough or was it too hard to get VOs for all the voices? Or was there some other reason?

EO2U didnt do well afaik. Also EOV has loads of different voices so more $ $ to get VA done. Don't really know.

I did my part for EO2U. 7 copies in total through gifts and stuff.

With the 3DS moving out for the Switch soon I honestly do expect to see the death of the franchise.

Hard to imagine it continuing on a platform without dualscreens(and also handheld mode only if it uses the touchscreen)

Rutger

Banned
I wonder why though. Did EO2U not sell enough or was it too hard to get VOs for all the voices? Or was there some other reason?
I was a somewhat worried that the number of voices in EOV might be problematic for Atlus. If we truly don't get EOV localized, I doubt that would be the main reason, but still I can't imagine a good way for them to cover all the voices without several actors doing different takes, or just leaving the Japanese voices in.
With the 3DS moving out for the Switch soon I honestly do expect to see the death of the franchise.

Hard to imagine it continuing on a platform without dualscreens(and also handheld mode only if it uses the touchscreen)

The series can survive without two screens, maybe not as elegantly, but it can. In handheld mode, the Switch screen could dedicate a spot in the corner around the size of what we are used to on the bottom screen(unless you have an XL system I guess), and probably add a way to make it take up the whole screen if/when we want. As for docked, well, the series has been adding more auto map features lately, it'll probably just get fleshed out more.

Top Bottom