• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

I mean it's literally called "Arcade Archives"....

As much as I'd love if they did add an AES mode, I highly doubt they will.

I'm just hyped to have MVS games on a portable, good enough for me

Vitacat

As much as I'd love if they did add an AES mode, I highly doubt they will

Which is pathetic, considering the AES version is right there in the ROM being emulated. It just needs to be enabled.

As for MVS games on a portable, that's been possible several times before the Switch.

Which is pathetic, considering the AES version is right there in the ROM being emulated. It just needs to be enabled.

As for MVS games on a portable, that's been possible several times before the Switch.

Friggin' on disc DLC...

Although the technical side of it is simple I do sympathize that these sorts of decisions do not exist in a vacuum. Who knows how SNK and/or the publisher and rights holders treats these sorts of things. Maybe Hamster has to pay more for an unlimited license so it makes more sense to work out a more limited deal. Who knows.

Doesn't hurt to ask though, even if I think chances are slim.

Don't get me wrong I agree, I just don't see them enabling it considering the circumstances. I'd love to see it happen!

I should have specified good portable versions. I wouldn't count the Neo Geo X or PSP ports as particularly high quality.

MrBeggar

Can I get a confirmation about KOF'98 opening vocals being on the US or JP version?
So far only one person has confirmed it being on the UK store version.

Threw this together to demonstrate the audio delay. Don't mind the weird video/coloring differences between the two, I was only concerned with audio.

In particular notice the frame where Marco's profile pic flashes from being selected to the time the audio kicks in. On switch it is a few frames delayed. Likewise, the gunshot animation compared to the gunshot sound.

You can see in the full motion comparisons it is subtle, but if you notice it, you notice it.

https://youtu.be/3tMBWKLp6ds

Neff

Really want to see Fatal Fury: Special, Art of Fighting and Magician Lord find their way onto Switch at some point.

I'd buy all those, especially Art of Fighting. The first AoF is a pet favourite of mine which I actually prefer to the sequel.

Can I get a confirmation about KOF'98 opening vocals being on the US or JP version?
So far only one person has confirmed it being on the UK store version.

Whoever told you this is sadly incorrect, the UK version (which I have) doesn't have the vocals either.

So I've asked this question 3 times in this thread. One more.

Do these NEO GEO games come with an option for the home version (AES) in addition to the arcade version (MVS)?

Pinky

Banned
I'd buy all those, especially Art of Fighting. The first AoF is a pet favourite of mine which I actually prefer to the sequel.

First time I ever played AoF, I was blown away by how the camera would zoom in and out depending on how close or far the fighters were from each other. The graphics were killer for the time as well!

First time I ever played AoF, I was blown away by how the camera would zoom in and out depending on how close or far the fighters were from each other. The graphics were killer for the time as well!
Same here. I stumbled upon a super small videogame shop in my city went in and they were playing this incredible game with these huge controllers which were the size of the console... i almost fainted at the awesomeness

I maybe wrong here, but you can force these things in through the options menu. At least in KoF 98.

Not the same thing. AES mode often has a menu, more like a home console game, and often options unique to that mode such as practice.

edit: explained a little better, the options it gives in the ACA Game Settings menu is more equivalent to flipping Dip switches in the arcade to change some options. Under the hood that is probably technically all AES mode is doing with a slightly more user friendly menu, however AES exposes the full set, where arcade (MVS) is limited to stuff that makes sense for an arcade setting.

vtAARfp.png

UwlFas5.png

Tain

I'm kinda baffled at the lack of AES options.

Similarly, I'm baffled at the Hamster release of Renegade on PS4 not including Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun.

M2 would include these things. :|

Peltz

Threw this together to demonstrate the audio delay. Don't mind the weird video/coloring differences between the two, I was only concerned with audio.

In particular notice the frame where Marco's profile pic flashes from being selected to the time the audio kicks in. On switch it is a few frames delayed. Likewise, the gunshot animation compared to the gunshot sound.

You can see in the full motion comparisons it is subtle, but if you notice it, you notice it.

https://youtu.be/3tMBWKLp6ds
Damn. That's actually pretty noticeable even at full speed. Looks like I'll be passing on these.

Neo Geo ports always seem to get fucked up :(

I'll stick to my MVS.

Really want to see Fatal Fury: Special, Art of Fighting and Magician Lord find their way onto Switch at some point.

I used to love Magician Lord in the arcade. Then I got it for Vita and realized it's basically unplayable with how unfair it is.

Art of Fighting's got terrible input buffers that make special moves really hard to pull off, but at least it's got atmosphere going for it.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Finally downloaded KoF98 and it hit me right in the nostalgia. Plenty of great memories playing that one back in the day with my friends at Diamond Jim's.

antibolo

Banned

As much as I'd love if they did add an AES mode, I highly doubt they will.

AES mode is literally just a single bit swap away. There's absolutely no reason to NOT give us this option in the settings menu, it would require extremely little effort.

deleted

For someone who has no nostalgia for Neo Turf Masters or golf games on general...

Is it worth it for the 2 player mode alone in a post Mario Golf world?
I think baseball would be more my cup of tea, but I'm somewhat in the mood for a non fighting neo geo game.

Timu

What is the difference between AES and MVS versions?
MVS is the arcade version and normally have Level 4 as the default difficulty, plus have blood and other things that would get censored on AES versions.

AES is the home version of an arcade game, normally with limited credits of 4, have Level 3 as the default setting, usually has more features like more modes and such and is often censored when it comes to blood and other content.

ToD_

MVS is the arcade version and normally have Level 4 as the default difficulty, plus have blood and other things that would get censored on AES versions.

AES is the home version of an arcade game, normally with limited credits of 4, have Level 3 as the default setting, usually has more features like more modes and such and is often censored when it comes to blood and other content.

Thankfully, setting the region to Japan in AES mode also disables censorship. While the region will be Japan, many games will allow you to set the language to English and retain the uncensored features. Not that many of them are text heavy, so the last bit is not that important - menus are generally in English regardless of region.

For someone who has no nostalgia for Neo Turf Masters or golf games on general...

Is it worth it for the 2 player mode alone in a post Mario Golf world?
I think baseball would be more my cup of tea, but I'm somewhat in the mood for a non fighting neo geo game.

I can't speak for the MVS game but Neo Turf Masters on NGPC is one of my favorite game ever. Very solid arcade golf game in a pre-Everbybody's Golf era.

Timu

Thankfully, setting the region to Japan in AES mode also disables censorship. While the region will be Japan, many games will allow you to set the language to English and retain the uncensored features. Not that many of them are text heavy, so the last bit is not that important - menus are generally in English regardless of region.
That's pretty cool actually!

Top Bottom