• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends coming to Xbox 360/PS3, all versions releasing in September

Ah there we go, the crystallised purity of where this all both leads and stems from.

You mean publisher foolishness? Seriously, if this game bombs because it comes out during a time when people would rather play something else, THEN IT IS UBISOFT'S FAULT. NOT NINTENDO FAN'S. This wii u version of this game was finished and could have released during a software drought to wii u owners hungry for new software but NOPE! Launch the game next to Zelda!

cloudyy

1) It means one marketing campaign.

2) Late ports historically do terrible.
1) They almost could do no marketing at all for the Wii U release, Nintendo already did more than enough to hype the game with various wiiu demo units and the showing at E3 and pushing it as an exclusive game during a dead release period of the system.
2) Late ports on lower install base do terrible. It's either you wait or shell out on a new system for the game. I'm sure many would rather wait.

Don't know if this has been posted, apparently is from a member of the Rayman Legends team that posts on the spanish forums EOL:

I found this at meristation forums from Gonzark, a reliable poster.

So according to the the Google translation, the U version was going to be delayed anyway, so suits at the top said might as well port it while we've got the time?

Kimawolf

You mean publisher foolishness? Seriously, if this game bombs because it comes out during a time when people would rather play something else, THEN IT IS UBISOFT'S FAULT. NOT NINTENDO FAN'S. This wii u version of this game was finished and could have released during a software drought to wii u owners hungry for new software but NOPE! Launch the game next to Zelda!

Yeah that is what's crazy, they are willing to go up against Zelda, GTAV and who knows what else because they want to sell the game to the same people who didn't buy it. and if "fan reaction" got the game, then I suppose we can expect to see all games on all platforms?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Financial reasons "Marketing"

Easier to effectively marks cross platform

Past precedent sales figures comparing games released simultaneouslyvs multiplatform games released after a huge delay.

Pick one.
I don't know if you are a gaming journalist or not, but where I come from we don't just make up sentences, throw a dart at one and write an article from that. We actually bother to go out there and tap people 's phones and hack their answering machines to get our news.

And I'm pretty sure people annoyed by this delay don't care about marketing reasons. This is where PR should be coming in to calm the flames.

iammeiam

So according to the the Google translation, the U version was going to be delayed anyway, so suits at the top said might as well port it while we've got the time?
It reads more like the initial delay--from launch to now--was due to incompleteness. Devs busted ass to get done in time for the new release date, and at the last minute suits go "Lol nah j/k"

?oe?oe

I'll guess we'll see if it was a good move if they're actually going to market and advertise it. Otherwise, it's sent to die.

1) They almost could do no marketing at all for the Wii U release, Nintendo already did more than enough to hype the game with various wiiu demo units and the showing at E3 and pushing it as an exclusive game during a dead release period of the system.
2) Late ports on lower install base do terrible. It's either you wait or shell out on a new system for the game. I'm sure many would rather wait.

2.) What? Dreamcast to PS2 ports. (DC sale were better). Sega Saturn to PSX ports...same thing unless released in new territories... Xbox to other ports...more of the same.

I'm at loss.

Malvingt2

No he said they felt that they will not make the goal but they went for it anyway. What kind the face do you think we put when the game was about to be close "gold" and they told us about the delay?

So they worked hard to meet the Date and they did.

majik13

Financial reasons "Marketing"

Easier to effectively marks cross platform

Past precedent sales figures comparing games released simultaneouslyvs multiplatform games released after a huge delay.

Pick one.

yes, I wish devs followed this thinking when porting to WiiU, but they seem to throw these ideas out the window and follow the inverse.

WiiU gets late ports, no marketing, and then publishers deem this test unprofitable for future releases.

hopefully a bunch of next gen games get delayed to make room for wiiu ports, for simultaneous release...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yes but why go for a fake when you have a new and improved "Honor & Shame 2013"?

Thanks. The break downs are fun... And this game isn't as huge as FFXIII.

beje

Banned

No, he actually says that the week they had to close the game (and supposedly sent to print) they are said all this so all the overtime and crunch to have it ready for february went to waste "thanks" to higher up orders.

Don't know if this has been posted, apparently is from a member of the Rayman Legends team that posts on the spanish forums EOL:

I found this at meristation forums from Gonzark, a reliable poster.

So if I understand this correctly, they worked their asses off to get the game finished for february release only for Ubisoft to come at the last minute all like 'Lol, what's the hurry? It's not releasing till september'. Wow, a real dick move indeed, I feel sorry for the devs.

Malvingt2

So if I understand this correctly, they worked their asses off to get the game finished for february release only for Ubisoft to come at the last minute all like 'Lol, what's the hurry? It's not releasing till september'. Wow, a real dick move indeed, I feel sorry for the devs.

yes and deserved own thread. Wow what a dick move.

Wait, this is even worse. Ubi craps on fans, Wii U owners, and dicks over its own employees, just to sell this to an audience that had no interest the first go around?

yes, I wish devs followed this thinking when porting to WiiU, but they seem to throw these ideas out the window and follow the inverse.

WiiU gets late ports, no marketing, and then publishers deem this test unprofitable for future releases.

Exactly. :-/

What bothers me is when they blame sales on the Wii-U... The past will repeat itself if we don't learn from it.

Erethian

Yeah, something about this screams foul play. Is it possible that something behind close doors with Nintendo caused this knee-jerk reaction from Ubisoft?

It's very simple. Ubisoft wants the game to sell more copies, so they port it.

I also think some people are readying way too much into this decision in general, and the implications it could have. Rayman is one of those franchises that is held in higher esteem within the gaming media and on forums, than it is by the general public. What Ubisoft does with a franchise like Assassin's Creed has way, way more implications for how they approach the Wii U than a game like Rayman does. It's not one of their premier IPs, and for a long time it played second fiddle to Rabbids.

Was this the big Nintendo news Rich teased for today? If yes: FUCK!

Yea, he's a tool.

Anyway, like others I have no problem with the game coming to other platforms, but it's just ridiculous that they'd push the game back so far to launch with the other versions when it was set to release only three weeks from now. Even if the game shipped without the added online, I wouldn't mind just having an update with those features when the game releases on the other platforms.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ah there we go, a nice heartwarming tale of one of the exhausted souls that gave his/her all to blast this game out to remind us that its more than just the big mean publisher devil that goes into how these games get out the door_when, and ultimately why the childish "WELL NOW I'M NOT BUYING IT" posts are like spitting into the eyes of someone locked in a boiling toiling cave of labour.

If you want to play the game and have more like it exist in this world, buy it at launch. Everything else is just horrible politics.

just to sell this to an audience that had no interest the first go around?
Thats some mightily large strokes you're painting there fellah. We'll see how the WiiU audience shows their "interest" in kind shall we...

Looks like we already have the biggest "load of shit" news of 2013. This is despicable of them...

Also, boycotting the game doesn't send messages to other developers that Wii U owners don't buy 3rd party games. Boycotting the game tells Ubisoft that shitty business practices have consequences.

liger05

So there was no delay to stay clear of nsmbu and it was life or death whether they would make the feb date. What was going on there?

Looks like we already have the biggest "load of shit" news of 2013. This is despicable of them...

Also, boycotting the game doesn't send messages to other developers that Wii U owners don't buy 3rd party games. Boycotting the game tells Ubisoft that shitty business practices have consequences.

More than half the people boycotting the game wouldn't buy it in the first place. Hate to break it to you, but sales are all that matter.

Why would anyone interested in the game not buy it just because it got pushed back ? That doesn't help anyone.

They want one less good game to play?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Why would anyone interested in the game not buy it just because it got pushed back ? That doesn't help anyone.

Reading this thread from beginning to end will have you hissing for at least a full hour.

I don't support bullshit, sorry.

If a developer wants to release a good game and set a good example I will support them, no problem.

No one cares that it's multiplatform. People care than it has been delayed 7 months.

I think he means that the PS3 version of FFXIII got delayed a bit or slowed down to accommodate for the 360 version I think that's how it went.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Ah there we go, a nice heartwarming tale of one of the exhausted souls that gave his/her all to blast this game out to remind us that its more than just the big mean publisher devil that goes into how these games get out the door_when, and ultimately why the childish "WELL NOW I'M NOT BUYING IT" posts are like spitting into the eyes of someone locked in a boiling toiling cave of labour.
It'd be pretty shit to be in the shoes of the dev, excited for game release only to be told by the publisher to delay it for a further 7 months. I'm sure they had no say in the matter!

Will buy day one, just not sure for which platform, now... the trophies in Origins on Vita (or PS3) allowed me to leach every extra moment of gaming time that I could out of it.

iammeiam

Why would anyone interested in the game not buy it just because it got pushed back ?

It's like you see a trailer for a movie that looks kind of funny, and there aren't any other movies out you want to go see. So you decide to go see that movie, only then it gets delayed for half a year. So you see a movie you want to see less, and wait. By the time it finally comes out, there are three other movies out you want to see more, and your time and money isn't infinite, so the original movie drops off your list of things to see in the theater. You'll catch it on a rental, or on Netflix, or something.

Same idea here--Rayman's going from a time of famine to a time of plenty, and for some people it's going to fall below the budget line.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Thats some mightily large strokes you're painting there fellah. We'll see how the WiiU audience shows their "interest" in kind shall we...

I see you've met Snowden.

This was probably not going to be a huge seller on the WiiU.

I bought the Origins when it dropped to 20 bucks because all Ubisoft games do that about a month and a half later.

Haliela

If you want to play the game and have more like it exist in this world, buy it at launch. Everything else is just horrible politics.

I am not supporting this company's product with my money. This was incredibly insulting and to think I will "just buy it anyway" is ridiculous. Ubisoft can go to hell.

beje

Banned
Here's a better translation for the Spanish impaired:

I completely understand you but you have to understand one thing. This is not a decission taken by the development team, this comes from really really high up, so please don't pick on the game.

If you're pissed, imagine how we feel. Think on the situation, we've been making overtime with this game practically since May preparing E3, and then almost a demo per month (gamescon, Wii U presentation, shops, eShop, etc...) and at the same time trying to actually finish the game. We had a first delay because it was obvious we couldn't finish on time but we gave it all to be there on February. What face do you think we had when the week we had to close the game we're being told it's not going to be released? I couldn't believe it.

For practical matters, you'll have to wait for some months for the game to be released and will most likely serve for more content to be added and do it better. For us, this means we've spent 6 months barely seeing our wifes, kids, and friends for nothing because, after all, such a haste wasn't needed. Believe it, it was a hell to swallow these news.

Even then I'm firm in what I said back in the day, Rayman Legends is an excellent game and will still be, and the team that's making it doesn't deserve to have your back turned on them just because some men in ties one day took a wrong choice. This industry is really that shitty

cloudyy

2.) What? Dreamcast to PS2 ports. (DC sale were better). Sega Saturn to PSX ports...same thing unless released in new territories... Xbox to other ports...more of the same.

I'm at loss.
Such as? I honestly can't come with examples of an exclusive game on a smaller install base doing terrible once it got ported on a bigger install base later on. Sure, it sometimes does worse, but terrible? Resident Evil code veronica did better on ps2 than on dreamcast for example. So did RE4 ps2 vs gamecube. http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

What will end up happening is Ubi will realize that releasing the game in September isn't such a great idea considering the competition and they'll delay it until February 2014.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I am not supporting this company's product with my money. This was incredibly insulting and to think I will "just buy it anyway" is ridiculous. Ubisoft can go to hell.
It's a business decision. How can you take it so personally?

Listen, I'm sorry for saying douche. I just feel that if you already owned a Wii U in September it's kind of silly to buy it for another system. Especially (and maybe exclusively) for people who've been complaining about the lack of 3rd party games coming day and date on the system.

And if that Dev story is true, I feel really bad for them. I can only imagine the sales of Zombi U/Rabbids Land or whatever weren't up to scratch and the executives panicked.

Fox Mulder

the wiiu can't catch a break.

It was a highly anticipated exclusive title for a console with absolutely nothing and was even the launch demo at kiosks around the country. Every WiiU owner would have bought it, all of them.

Now it's getting pushed back near the holidays when Nintendo will hopefully actually have games to sell and people will be frothing over two new next gen consoles. Genius.

More than half the people boycotting the game wouldn't buy it in the first place. Hate to break it to you, but sales are all that matter.

Seems like you did your research.

Even if that was true, that's still a lot of sales lost, and a lot of fans angry at Ubisoft who might boycott other, more popular releases. And they're missing out on 7 months of Wii U sales. So your "sales are all that matter" argument doesn't make much sense.

The real reason they're doing this is probably to scrap a lot of the Wii U specific gameplay ideas, and make an Origins 2.0.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
day oneeeee <333

the outrage in this thread is hilarious, though. people take video game news so seriously

Ubisoft can go rot n Hell.

They won't have a single penny from anymore. They will grow to learn that promises do matter for gamers. But that'll be too late for them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hate to break it to you, but sales are all that matter.

The words of a terrible business man.

A company wants to have a good consumer image, why do you think PR guys exist? Clearly some people are annoyed by UbiSoft by this decision and as a result they may not just end up not buying Rayman because of this, but they may think twice about buying other future UbiSoft titles.

If sales matter then we should be expecting damage control from UbiSoft. Something as simple as saying how the game will benefit from the delay (because the current consensus is that the game is finished) would be better than nothing.

Ah, Mr Ubisoft. Both the legion of talent that creates, and the singular entity that delays. Yes he will rue this day indeed, and he alone.
I don't know why you are trying to sound like a smart arse, but referring to a company as an entity is common and accepted practise.

Why are so many people miffed about the IGN tweet? It didn't say it was good news, I don't understand the upset.

It would have been very simple to either mention that there is "very interesting and potentially disappointing Wii U related news" in the initial tweet or when people followed it with obvious enthusiasm, it be mentioned then.

It wasn't.

I usually think people set themselves up for disappointment and put words in the media's mouth but IGN and Rich omitted that it was negative even when everyone waited with their positive anticipation.

It's not that difficult to understand.

Top Bottom