• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS4Daily RUMOR] ps4 developers will have access to 7GB of GDDR5 heaven

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Makes sense. The rumoured amount for OS consumption when 4GB was in the system was 512MB. I'm actually a little surprised they 'only' increased the OS reserve linearly with the bump to 8GB.

Foshy

whos ps4daily

probably the same guys as wiiudaily
2y9Na

Their forums are named wiiuforums and ps4forums, respectively

i-Lo

So the desire for it to be 512MB goes unrequited.

Oh well, let's hope that the devs don't run into bottlenecks at launch because of it. Still, I guess it's better than 2GB being reserved.

Derrick01

Banned
It's about what I expected. The leaks said 512 I think but I doubt that was taking some features into account like the constant video recording. 1GB is reasonable.

Azull

I am definitely buying a PS4 but man do I ever hope the nextbox has something close to this amount of RAM, cause if it doesn't none of it will matter with multi-platforms =\.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1GB for OS sounds like a good idea. All the streaming/video recording/share functionality is handled by a separate processor and RAM pool right?

Toki767

All I'd like to do really in terms of using the system OS while playing a game is being able to change system settings on the fly. I hate how the PS3 asks you to quit a game to change the smallest thing like connecting a bluetooth headset. 1GB of RAM sounds like more than enough for the basics.

If the OS is taking is 512 MB, reserving an extra 512 MB in order to make it upgradable and future proof is quite smart. They won't get in another situation where features like CGC can not be implemented due to lack of free RAM.

Sorral

So the desire for it to be 512MB goes unrequited.

Oh well, let's hope that the devs don't run into bottlenecks at launch because of it. Still, I guess it's better than 2GB being reserved.

They probably don't want to run into slowdowns and bottlenecks in the future if they ever decide to add things to the OS (as they do a lot).

Reserve 1GB now instead of 512MB and make all the games with the same amount of RAM 7GB-Game/1GB-OS unlike how the PS3 started off this generation. Some of the early games on the PS3 don't have in-game OS if I go turn them on because of this.

I love how some just can't contain their hatred towards MS. Any opportunity, eh?

Anyway, this is very good news. Suggests some level of future proofing too. My one hope is they fix the Store. It's a terrible, laggy PoS in its current form.

luffeN

Even if this is just a lie and there was no dev talking to them about it, it is still a reasonable guess in my eyes.

i-Lo

If the OS is taking is 512 MB, reserving an extra 512 MB in order to make it upgradable and future proof is quite smart. They won't get in another situation where features like CGC can not be implemented due to lack of free RAM.

Perhaps they should have reserved another gig or two, you know, just to be on the safe side against their competition.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's about what I expected. The leaks said 512 I think but I doubt that was taking some features into account like the constant video recording.

512MB was taking into account a total of 4GB ;) A bump to 8GB sort of does imply a bump in the OS reserve to 1GB, at least. Might as well.

Top Bottom