• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEO Scavenger [$1 Sale! STEAM] Post Apocalyptic Turn Based Survival Sim

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
On the Crafting menu:

Following what CzarTim said, once you click the River on the left side and it ends up on the top right, you see the River and Droplets on the bottom right, then you have to click the Craft/Confirm key before it'll complete the action.

Return to Inventory (Q) menu:

Then you go back and do what CzarTim and I said to bottle it.

Your way of doing it (putting the bottle and the source of water together on the Crafting top right menu) is what I tried at first too, and was something I wanted to bring up with Dan. Just trying to organise my thoughts a bit before I post them.

I already posted it a few posts ago but here it is again:
At922yp.jpg

The 3 water drops are NOT in my inventory. They are probably what I am supposed to get out of the river. I cannot interact with these drops in this menu, and if I go back to the inventory screen, the 3 drops turn back into the river.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
I saw your post, I just thought maybe you hadn't tried to click the River/Marsh to the Top Right side. If the game isn't letting you do that at all, then yeah, definitely bug. I've also seen the water droplets on the left, but I always just ignore them and craft the actual ones.

Here's how it's supposed to look.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I saw your post, I just thought maybe you hadn't tried to click the River/Marsh to the Top Right side. If the game isn't letting you do that at all, then yeah, definitely bug. I've also seen the water droplets on the left, but I always just ignore them and craft the actual ones.

Here's how it's supposed to look.

Not sure why you cant just right click the river in the inventory and just use a "Use"-function (or even "use on all empty bottles") to automatically get water drops from it, since you'll need to put these water drops into the bottles inside the inventory screen anyway.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Not sure why you cant just right click the river in the inventory and just use a "Use"-function (or even "use on all empty bottles") to automatically get water drops from it, since you'll need to put these water drops into the bottles inside the inventory screen anyway.

I'd love something like that. No disagreement from me. =D

CzarTim

I think it's so you have to use an action point to get water. I agree it's not intuitive.

dcfedor

Neo Member
Hey Guys!

Toma said:
The 3 water drops are NOT in my inventory. They are probably what I am supposed to get out of the river. I cannot interact with these drops in this menu, and if I go back to the inventory screen, the 3 drops turn back into the river.

Ah, looks like the UI is making this unclear. The three drops you see on the crafting screen are in your inventory, but they're probably inside containers, so hard to see. Looking at your inventory screen, I can see one bottle with liquid inside, and 4 empties. The crafting screen shows 12 bottles total, and three are highlighted yellow, which means they have something inside (probably the liquid).

The crafting screen takes every item you're carrying, items on the ground, the camp, in your shopping cart, etc., and collects them all on the left. It also takes everything out of containers and "flat-packs" them on the left, for easier access. Then, it highlights items in yellow if those items are either equipped or contain another item.

So I think those droplets are in bottles, 1 is in your backpack on your back, and the other 2 are in your campsite or vehicle.

To get the water from the river, you have to "craft" the river. Looking at your crafting screenshot, the river is about halfway down the available ingredients box, near the right side (just below the athletic skill). If you put that river on the right, you should see droplets as the output.

Now, that said, I can see how this was not very clear. It works once you're used to it, but it's not intuitive to a new user. I was considering making a right-click option for rivers to extract water from them. Or maybe they just contain lots of water droplets, like any other container, and it regenerates each turn.

Narras said:
Did the bandits know I had no bullets? :p

Probably not. Some creatures are just braver than others. Bandits and Raiders won't shy away from firearms as easily as Looters or Melonheads. Also, their condition determines morale, so injured creatures are more likely to run.

@FaustsBoon and More_Badass, thanks for the generous offer! I'm not sure yet how I want to handle the remaining writing work, so I may politely decline offers of help for now.

I collaborated with a writer a while back, and it was helpful in increasing the volume and quality of encounters. However, I've unfortunately made myself the bottleneck in content implementation, so it still ended up requiring a lot of effort from me to integrate.

That, and there are a couple narrative directions I'm deciding between at the moment. I'll keep you guys in mind in case I see a way to leverage the extra help, though. Thanks again!

Oops, it looks like the thread is moving ahead as I type here:

CzarTim said:
I think it's so you have to use an action point to get water. I agree it's not intuitive.

Correct, that was the rationale behind crafting vs. "use." But you're right, this is maybe not the best approach. I may need to rethink this!

Toma

The crafting screen takes every item you're carrying, items on the ground, the camp, in your shopping cart, etc., and collects them all on the left. It also takes everything out of containers and "flat-packs" them on the left, for easier access. Then, it highlights items in yellow if those items are either equipped or contain another item.

Hm, couldnt these items have a descriptor at least in the crafting screen then? The items that cant be used because something is contained in them are yellow, right? So how about "water (in a bottle)" vs "water (in a river)" as name tags for example?

And what is the gameplay rationale between filling up waters costing an action point? I mean, I can grab and eat berries without that costing me an action point, holding a bottle into the water doesnt really take that much longer either.

CzarTim

Has anyone had any success with non-melee/strength characters. I feel like when I try to make a stealth character, it tends to be very slow moving and not effective (since hiding uses an action point) whereas my "tough" characters can brute force their way through pretty much any encounter.

Playing a bit more I've got a few more usability issues that I haven't seen mentioned here.

While the lumping together all items in your inventory, on the ground, and in the camp when crafting is a good idea in theory, in practice it makes finding specific items a hassle. Perhaps separate tabs depending on where the item is?

Certain items stack which have individual characteristics but can't be parsed individually once they are stacked. i.e. different branches have different % condition left, different scraps of paper have different recipes, different newspaper clippings have different stories. Having some way to un-stack these and other items would be nice, probably by way of another right click command.

Finally, crafting multiples of the same item is also a bit of a hassle when you're trying to juggle all your items in the camp at once. You'll craft one piece of meat, it'll move the cooked meat, fire, and stick to the bottom, but the moment you click the fire to bring it back up into the crafting input to cook the rest of the pieces, the stick that was leftover gets whisked away into a random spot in the crafting inventory blob. What's weird is that you've already made it such that any items in the crafting input at the top that aren't pertinent to the selected recipe persist in the window and only the needed items get manipulated, but the same isn't true for the crafting output. Making the output persistent so I don't have to both keep emptying out the whole thing and re-finding the crafting items in my inventory would go a long way to make crafting altogether a bit less tedious.

All in all though, you've got a god thing going here dcfedor. I've been hooked on this thing the last few nights, short bursts like a lot of the rest of the people here (and just on the demo!).

Yea, also noticing now that shift+LMB is for unstacking.

The auto recipe thing kinda works, but for stuff like boiling water it also breaks down in practice. For some reason it wants to prioritize using purified water over the regular stuff, and for noise traps it keeps trying to use up my hospital bracelet before my stack of string.

Finally found a gun!
But it had no bullets!
And then I died!

Love this game. On surrendering/threatening, how does that work? Since my attempts have always been unsuccessful. Do enemies back away or flee? I think it would be cool if you could have the option to have a group surrender and then maybe hit or shoot one to make the others scared. Not sure how that could be implemented, but it would add to the "take-no-prisoners" atmosphere

Burger

Hey dcfedor,

Do you have plans to move away from Flash as a development platform?

I would like to play but the amount of power that the game draws on my Mac (about 40% of a 4 core cpu) is really too much for me to consider playing/purchase.

Toma

Hey dcfedor,

I would like to play but the amount of power that the game draws on my Mac (about 40% of a 4 core cpu) is really too much for me to consider playing/purchase.

He already said something about that I believe. Did you read his previous responses?

dcfedor

Neo Member
Toma said:
Hm, couldnt these items have a descriptor at least in the crafting screen then? The items that cant be used because something is contained in them are yellow, right? So how about "water (in a bottle)" vs "water (in a river)" as name tags for example?

And what is the gameplay rationale between filling up waters costing an action point? I mean, I can grab and eat berries without that costing me an action point, holding a bottle into the water doesnt really take that much longer either.

That might be doable. Some folks (like CrunchyFrog, below) have also asked for ways of filtering the ingredient list by either source location (e.g. ground-only, vehicle, camp, etc.) or by type (e.g. consumables, tools, junk, etc.). I think it's a good idea, if I can make time to do it.

As for the gameplay rationale, guilt by omission? :) Seriously, though, some of the game's quirks are just legacy systems that seem out-of-place now that newer systems were added. Originally, there were no resource items, such as forests, rivers, and lakes. Forest hexes had a few sticks, but they'd run out. And water was mostly found via scavenging.

However, it seemed that some hexes should have infinite supply of certain resources, so I added forest, lake, and other items that could be "crafted" to get those supplies. It made sense at the time that one would take a few minutes to harvest sturdy sticks from a forest, or several liters of water from a river.

It's not intuitive, though, so I may just change it so that forests/water are containers that refill automatically with their resource type. Then players just need to empty them out when they want some, and "use" to refill them.

CrunchyFrog said:
Finally, crafting multiples of the same item is also a bit of a hassle when you're trying to juggle all your items in the camp at once. You'll craft one piece of meat, it'll move the cooked meat, fire, and stick to the bottom, but the moment you click the fire to bring it back up into the crafting input to cook the rest of the pieces, the stick that was leftover gets whisked away into a random spot in the crafting inventory blob. What's weird is that you've already made it such that any items in the crafting input at the top that aren't pertinent to the selected recipe persist in the window and only the needed items get manipulated, but the same isn't true for the crafting output. Making the output persistent so I don't have to both keep emptying out the whole thing and re-finding the crafting items in my inventory would go a long way to make crafting altogether a bit less tedious.

I was thinking of making it such that the tools used to craft stay put, and only the created/destroyed items move to the bottom. That way, cooking meat leaves fire and such up at the top for the next round, and only the cooked meat appears at the bottom.

The reason I clear the bottom out each time an item moves is mostly for technical reasons (e.g. leaving items there when a new recipe is triggered might block the incoming items from being added, if there's not enough space left).

CrunchyFrog said:
For some reason it wants to prioritize using purified water over the regular stuff, and for noise traps it keeps trying to use up my hospital bracelet before my stack of string.

This one's a bit trickier to solve. I tried sorting the ingredients by price, so cheaper ones get chosen first. However, some items are the same or cheaper after identified, so it breaks down occasionally. The next version will demote items that have already been identified, hopefully alleviating this issue.

However, there are also recipes where the user prefers the "best" ingredients be used first, such as when crafting a tool that's meant to last (e.g. spear). Ideally, the auto-recipe would guess correctly based on context, but that's been beyond my capabilities for now.

More_Badass said:
On surrendering/threatening, how does that work?

Each AI has morale, which is affected by things like:
  • their inherent bravery/cowardice
  • number of allies present vs. enemies
  • weapons they and their target are using
  • their conditions/injuries
  • a random factor
  • if there is a "pack leader" present, what they're doing

If that morale is higher, they're more likely to attack. Conversely, they'll flee if it's lower.

AI will sometimes accept an offered surrender if they are a type that cares about loot, and if you're unconscious, they may just loot you and leave. But they're under no obligation to accept surrender, any more than you are. If they demand surrender, and you agree, they'll take some stuff and leave battle.

Threatening will slightly increase your relative morale, in hopes that an enemy near the edge breaks and flees. If an enemy is hardcore coming after you, they'll likely continue to. If you've whittled them down to defensive moves, you might be able to push them over the edge with a threat. But consider it from their view: does their threatening usually matter to you? Most people have already decided whether they're going to fight or not by the time the first turn is over.

One exception is when firing a gun. A gun has a reasonable base threat level compared to many weapons. However, when the gun is fired, it's threat level increases quite a bit. You've just shown that you not only have ammo, but that you're willing to use it.

Burger said:

I do, but not for NEO Scavenger "1." I briefly considered porting it to a more flexible language (i.e. HaxeFlixel instead of AS3 Flixel), but it's a huge risk this late in the project. Future games will likely be in Haxe/OpenFL/HaxeFlixel, though. I apologize for the clunky application wrapper!

And now Part 3 is done!

NEO Scavenger - A Chronicle of Desperate Survival
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Considering what happens next, I think there might only be two more parts. Part 4 is going to quite action packed and 5...well, 5 is either going to be a short painful end or another chapter in this journey, depending how my next turn goes

Jhriad

Can anyone tell me why you would do anything other than dodge/parry until the enemy is recovering (or fallen at which point you can kick them)? Tackling them doesn't seem to be of any real advantage because it puts both of you on the ground and you aren't able to do much other than roll or stand up while on the ground. There are other things like 'Lure' but even when using it your opponent still seems to get an attack off. I don't know, I guess I'm not really seeing a ton of the useful depth in the combat.

Are non-Strong/Melee characters viable? Skills that aren't focused on melee combat don't seem to be as useful for keeping your character alive from what I've seen. Tried an outdoorsman characters a few times with tracking/botany/trapping/etc but it feels like I'd be better off taking maybe one of those skills and just dumping the rest in Strong/Athletic/Melee/etc.

Do bandits/npcs ever fight each other or do they all continue to blindly bum rush you? It seems silly to see two bandits come from opposite directions and double team me.

Can you acquire new skills through gameplay?

I guess after a few days (and a few hours worth of lives) of wandering eastward in the demo I'm just not seeing much variability other than Walk>Scavenge>Dodge or Parry>Punch NPCs to Death>Rinse & Repeat. What am I missing?

Burger

I do, but not for NEO Scavenger "1." I briefly considered porting it to a more flexible language (i.e. HaxeFlixel instead of AS3 Flixel), but it's a huge risk this late in the project. Future games will likely be in Haxe/OpenFL/HaxeFlixel, though. I apologize for the clunky application wrapper!

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't see your other post!

Good luck with everything :)

CzarTim

Are non-Strong/Melee characters viable? Skills that aren't focused on melee combat don't seem to be as useful for keeping your character alive from what I've seen. Tried an outdoorsman characters a few times with tracking/botany/trapping/etc but it feels like I'd be better off taking maybe one of those skills and just dumping the rest in Strong/Athletic/Melee/etc.

I 100% agree, and this is my biggest complaint currently. There is no downside to going full strength where as a lot of the other choices are either highly situational or require action points to use. Hide should at the very least be toggled and not turn off when you move.

Toma

I 100% agree, and this is my biggest complaint currently. There is no downside to going full strength where as a lot of the other choices are either highly situational or require action points to use. Hide should at the very least be toggled and not turn off when you move.

I am still thinking about this issue. I mean the game is fun with that build, and I more or less just consider other builds a higher difficulty setting instead of different balanced viable options, know what I mean?

But anyway, it seems like a really sharp difference in a pure strength or pure stealth skill for me, BUT I also assume that this could be due to me not knowing most recipes I'd need to know for that, for example with a melee/ranged difference. Maybe there are some easy ways to make bows and arrows and that could give you an advantage in battles early on.

dcfedor

Neo Member
Jhriad said:
Can anyone tell me why you would do anything other than dodge/parry until the enemy is recovering...

Combat is definitely designed to reward careful timing and range control, so parry and dodge are two of the most important moves in the game. At least one is usually available, though sometimes neither are.

Cover is the ranged equivalent, but given the rarity of ammo in the game (and that one often realizes their target has some too late), it's used less often.

Tackling is risky, but not useless. If you land a tackle, it's true you're both on the ground. However, the target is also recovering, which gives you the extra move to kick, run, etc. after standing up. Lure has a maximum range beyond all melee attacks, so can be used with impunity under certain circumstances.

Jhriad said:
Are non-Strong/Melee characters viable?

They should be, though I might've messed up balance in a recent build. Traditionally, good fighters had less survival skills, and therefore had a harder time sourcing food. It's possible that adding corpses ruined this trade-off, and maybe scavenging treasure tables are also too generous now.

That said, one need not have any fighting skills to survive a fight. Especially when one-on-one, clever move usage and timing is all that's needed. But against tough opponents or larger numbers, fighters should have more ease.

Also, ranged is a very powerful skill when used correctly. A sling with pebbles/stones can be deadly, and easy to source. And the improved hit chances at range are important for conserving pricier ammo types.

jhriad said:
Do bandits/npcs ever fight each other

Creatures of different types will see each other as opponents. So bandits and raiders will fight each other. Bandits and bandits, on the other hand, will band together.

Also, creatures pick the biggest threat/loot pinata, and either fight that or run. So if you're the biggest target in the area, it might seem like they're ganging up on you because they are :)

jhriad said:
Can you acquire new skills through gameplay?

There is currently one way to enhance your character that can be found later in the beta. It's more akin to a trainer or blessing, rather than grinding to "ding" and level up. And I may add similar in-character methods if time permits. However, grinding skill-growth is not a planned feature.

Burger said:
Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't see your other post!

Good luck with everything :)

No problem. And thanks!

@CzarTim, like I say to Jhriad above, I might've screwed up the balance in a recent build. What are your brute builds doing for food, for example? And how do you treat wounds? Do you tend to live long? I typically find that non-combat skills are more useful in the long-term, providing reliable food, water, and tools like tannin tea. But maybe that's no longer true.

Also, it might change as you reach more encounters. My intention was to make many encounters (think Hatter, DMC) play differently with hulk vs. non-hulk skills. Both should be fun, but they should also feel different.

That's just my intention, though. Wanting isn't the same as doing :)

Toma

I did get the impression that the game gave a bit too much loot, but I wasnt even close to approaching the end game yet so I am not sure how its really affecting it. Did you consider adding another prototype difficulty level in which you could try toning down the loot drops again to see how your players react to it? Just make sure to state that it might be horribly imbalanced or something and you'll use it to try out some aspects. That would probably also be valuable input for the sequel.

And I had athletic, strong and whatever else fits for the melee guy. I just wont die. I can beat melonheads to a pulp with ease and just run away from every bandit without any issues. I had enough corpses, but I didnt manage to use them in my last playthrough.

CzarTim

@CzarTim, like I say to Jhriad above, I might've screwed up the balance in a recent build. What are your brute builds doing for food, for example? And how do you treat wounds? Do you tend to live long? I typically find that non-combat skills are more useful in the long-term, providing reliable food, water, and tools like tannin tea. But maybe that's no longer true.

Also, it might change as you reach more encounters. My intention was to make many encounters (think Hatter, DMC) play differently with hulk vs. non-hulk skills. Both should be fun, but they should also feel different.

That's just my intention, though. Wanting isn't the same as doing :)

I actually did not get into many fights as I was usually able to successfully threaten most opponents before fighting even started. If we did fight, I'd hit them a few times and they'd mostly just run away. Of the two full fights I completed, I killed the first and then died the second time (largely due to getting cocky.) Medicine was fine due to me finding a
Nanorobot Medical Kit
. Food I struggled a bit on, but I found enough corpses to keep going.

I lasted 10 days on my main run. I haven't had a chance to play again, but I played a few stealth builds prior and rarely got past day 2.

CzarTim

Did a nice session today as a strength/tough/botany/medic. The botany skill real nice. I've mostly avoided combat, and ended up
getting the urn and brought back. The tech eyes look dope.

Super fun, can't wait to play some more.

edit: aw

dcfedor

Neo Member
It sounds like AI is pretty easy to spook, though for tough-guy builds, I'm okay with that. One of the perks of being tough! Ditto for squashing melonheads, as they're pretty flimsy.

A gang of melonheads should be a risk, though. If even one of those suckers tackles you, it's a pigpile-o-death.

CzarTim said:
Food I struggled a bit on, but I found enough corpses to keep going.

If you're using humanoid corpses for food, this might get harder in the next build. Cannibalism is pretty easy to abuse in 0.979, making food and money abundant. However, those avenues should become more costly soon. It'll be interesting to see how folks adapt, and if it's a change in the right direction.

CzarTim said:
Did a nice session today as a strength/tough/botany/medic. The botany skill real nice.

Glad you're finding it fun! I think some of the non-combat skills can be really cool if you know how to use them.
  • Botany has some really handy crafting and identification abilities, so helps with food, water, and medicine.
  • Trapping can be pretty handy, too, with animal butchering, encounter options, and lure ability.
  • Technical skills (mechanic, electrician, and hacking) are going to become more prominent in encounters, soon. And hacking should already provide an interesting metagame: mining devices for money, history, and humor.
  • Lockpicking has only a few uses, but makes a big difference if one tries to scavenge a lot without attracting trouble.
Skills actually the subject of a pretty lengthy discussion, and one I'll probably have to address before launch. At the very least, I'm planning on making certain skills and traits different sizes, so they reflect their value better.

For now, though, I'm neck-deep in encounter-writing. People are pretty anxious for more places to see, and situations in which to use cleverness and stuff!

Toma

It sounds like AI is pretty easy to spook, though for tough-guy builds, I'm okay with that. One of the perks of being tough! Ditto for squashing melonheads, as they're pretty flimsy.
For now, though, I'm neck-deep in encounter-writing. People are pretty anxious for more places to see, and situations in which to use cleverness and stuff!

Sounds great :) Also lots of kudos for going all out on this community aspect to keep your fanbase in the loop.

dcfedor

Neo Member
Hey Guys!

Just a heads-up that v0.980 is live, and has some new stuff to play with. Some of the highlights include The Great Black Swamp, toxic water plus water testing, cannibalism consequences, new items, and improvements to the quick recipe system. The beta additionally has new encounters (both plot and non-), new encounter artwork, and some new means of getting electricity for hardware.

screenshot-2013-11-05.png

Do give it a try. And let me know what you think of the changes!

Toma

Awesome! And I agree, not knowing what the cannibalism effects are makes it even more frightening :p

dcfedor

Neo Member
I'll have to see what folks think of the outcome. It's not over the top, nor is it trivial. I'm hoping for a good balance, but we'll see!

dcfedor

Neo Member
Hey Guys! Just wanted to let you know that NEO Scavenger is finally on Steam Early Access!

If you're already a customer, you should be able to redeem your Steam key on the bluebottlegames.com beta page. It'll be a Steam button near the bottom.

For Desura customers, you'll need to first Connect your account to one at bluebottlegames.com, and then you should see the button, too!

Thanks for all your feedback and support!

CzarTim

Hey Guys! Just wanted to let you know that NEO Scavenger is finally on Steam Early Access!

If you're already a customer, you should be able to redeem your Steam key on the bluebottlegames.com beta page. It'll be a Steam button near the bottom.

For Desura customers, you'll need to first Connect your account to one at bluebottlegames.com, and then you should see the button, too!

Thanks for all your feedback and support!

Awesome! Great news.

taoofjord

So I just got this about a week ago and have been REALLY enjoying it. It scratches that itch that I assume Dwarf Fortress adventure mode would if I ever had the patience to learn how to play it. Neo Scavenger is seriously amazing! It feels like some long lost classic from the 90's. And it's one of the best games I've played that has you creating interesting narratives just by playing it. I'd imagine there will be some really entertaining stories/lets plays that come out (or already have?)

The combat is incredibly tense, brutal and detailed with tons of different conditions. It's also got a nice pace for a turn based game as far as I can tell and hasn't felt at all tedious.

The interface is clunky (which is to be expected from this kind of game) but totally functional and not overly difficult to understand.

I'm also really impressed by how there is so much more to this game than I was expecting.

For anyone that's up for a strategic/tactical survival game or grew up playing games like Fallout 1 and 2 then this is pretty much a must buy.

dcfedor

Neo Member
Thanks for the kind words, taoofjord! I'm quite fond of my 90's crpgs, so it's great that you see similar traits in NEO Scavenger. And I'm thrilled that you're finding so much unexpected depth.

In fact, I sometimes wonder whether NEO Scavenger's success may be bolstered by it's homely/clunky appearance and limited marketing. People go in with expectations low, and are surprised by the things they discover.

I also think that NEO Scavenger got lucky in that it was relatively unknown while sorting out teething issues, and the majority of folks are now discovering it after I've had a chance to incorporate player feedback.

In the old days, I'd have worked secretly in my distant tower, wrapped-up the game, and set it loose with a whisper of hope. And in those same old days, customers would've experienced my best guess without any tweaking nor balancing. It would've been much less fun, if I'm being honest.

In any case, I count myself lucky, and thanks again!

dcfedor

Neo Member
Thanks, guys! I saw a definite spike in visitors and sales yesterday, so I'm pretty psyched about the exposure!

A friend of mine told me about this game, after trying the demo I bought it, it's good.
There's one thing that I'd like to see implemented, the possibility during combat to choose where to aim (like the fallout series) since there's already a "damage area" system implemented

Gvaz

Banned
I've been wanting to get this game ever since there was that thread made on SA. Now that it's on steam...I'll get it eventually. :(

Huge update
includes non-hostile NPC interactions, dynamic factions, armor, and new creature sprites. There are now two violent gangs roaming the map, DMC guards patrolling the sprawl, and looters caught in the middle. What's more, all of them are "strangers" until they do something that identifies them as friend or foe.

Here's the full changelog
  • Added DMC Guard faction to game. Guards patrol around DMC sprawl, slightly favorable to player, and attack any hostiles and monsters. Carry special equipment.
  • Added armor to the game. New armor items added, and old clothing items now have armor values.
  • Added new clothing types and a firearm to game.
  • Added non-hostile NPCs to game. Some NPCs will ignore player, and even fight against common foes.
  • Added factions and reputations to game. Creatures will remember good and bad experiences with other creatures, and will share this info with any allies they meet.
  • Added ability to talk with wandering NPCs. Each has default greetings, and some have multiple conversations.
  • Added ability to offer ceasefire to enemy at the penalty of one extra move. Can also accept enemy ceasefire.
  • Added ability to right-click a creature in the same hex to re-engage after talks/ceasefire exits battle.
  • Added crippling effects to arms and legs for severe cut damage.
  • Added item damage when wound slots hit.
  • Added Project Zomboid button to title screen.
  • Added code to prevent random creature spawns above global population cap.
  • Added code to prevent too many creatures of the same faction from randomly spawning in a small area.
  • Added ability to ditch vehicle in combat.
  • Changed NPC names to be "Stranger" unless they attack or talk to player.
  • Changed creature names to show "Leader" if that creature is followed by others nearby.
  • Changed creature sprites on map to show what they are wearing and holding.
  • Changed raiders and bandits to Bad Muthas and Blue Frogs gangs, to better match lore.
  • Changed main map button to have TAB as hotkey, rather than Q (since Q toggles Items screen).
  • Changed wearable items to prefer slotting first, then carrying in hands.
  • Changed melonheads so they are unable to equip helmets/headwear.

dcfedor

Neo Member
Hey Guys!

Yeah, the PZ button was my way of saying "thanks" for the PZ team's generous publicity. They not only had the NEO Scavenger link on their launcher, but plugged me in their blog, on Twitter, etc. Plus, a lot of my players seem to be PZ fans, too, so it seems like good synergy to introduce new players to each other's products!

Beware the bugs in the non-hostile portion of the update. Looks like some AI glitches are causing friendlies to attack or talk when they shouldn't. And the "stranger" tag isn't evolving correctly once they're identified.

Still, reports are that it's a more stable build than 0.982, and the new toys and creature sprites are worth seeing!

Top Bottom