• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leonardo DiCaprio - The Greatest Actor of Our Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best? I don't know about that, but he has definitely matured into an incredible talent. He's definitely up there though.

I've got to echo the Christian Bale testimonials. That man is truly dedicated, and among the best of all generations.

Dyno

Leo's always been great! He's had quite the long and prolific career as well. OP didn't mention Basketball Diaries, which is where I think he first took off.

The last movie I saw him in was J. Edgar Hoover. He played a very compelling character.

leonardo-di-caprio-in-the-movie-j-edgar-449956603.jpg

JB1981

Man you guys remember the 'my name' speech at he end of The Crucible? holy shit Daniel Day Lewis' performance was out of this world, I wish I could find it on YouTube.

yes that was a great scene. i kind of like that movie actually, mostly because of Day Lewis. The ending is really powerful stuff.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So what is it about Leo's head that made him look 10 years older overnight? Did it really get fatter, or is it that bad goatee that just gives the illusion...

I have to agree about Christian Bale. Ignoring stuff like Batman, he takes some pretty adventurous roles and he seems pretty fearless as well as having a great talent. Like, say, Rescue Dawn. He plays the eccentricities of Dengler so perfectly, that and American Psycho. Sam Rockwell is another guy I can't get enough of, he's just not given roles I feel like he deserves.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Sam Rockwell would be known as the best of our generation if he was given the roles that we know he could pull off.
I just watch Confessions of a Dangerous Mind incessantly, and pretend I live in a world where that was just one in a long list of perfect parts.

KingK

What has Michael Fassbender been in for people to bring him up? I only know of him through Inglorious Basterds and apparently that new XMen movie. He was pretty good in IG, but I wouldn't say greatest actor of a generation good.

We was in Hunger, and he kicked absolute ass in that. He was pretty decent in the Jane Eyre adaptation, though the role itself was somewhat limiting. I've heard great things about his work in Shame. I've heard great things about his work in A Dangerous Method and Fish Tank. He's the lead in Prometheus this year. Etc.

And really, even in Inglourious Basterds he pretty much sinks into the role effortlessly.

dmshaposv

I'd choose Bale over Di Caprio, because he has been quite incredible in certain roles. A grade one asshole, but a fine actor.

heck, his voice acting in Howl was actually very good, and hit the charming note perfectly.

bud

What has Michael Fassbender been in for people to bring him up? I only know of him through Inglorious Basterds and apparently that new XMen movie. He was pretty good in IG, but I wouldn't say greatest actor of a generation good.

in these past four years, fassbender has done more exciting stuff than dicaprio has done in his entire career so far.

hunger, shame, inglourious basterds and shame all featured really great performances by him. there are still a few of his films i haven't seen yet like jane eyre and fish tank, but i'm reading great things about his work in those films as well.

I don't know who's the best but <3 Leo. The Aviator especially...that one tiny sequence when he's in the car by himself...I can never get that thing out of my head; it's just one guy spelling the word 'quarantine' and it's so fucking intense. Sometimes I do it myself in my head for no particular reason.

in these past four years, fassbender has done more exciting stuff than dicaprio has done in his entire career so far.

hunger, shame, inglourious basterds and shame all featured really great performances by him. there are still a few of his films i haven't seen yet like jane eyre and fish tank, but i'm reading great things about his work in those films as well.

He was also fantastic in A Dangerous Method.

Socreges

Banned

I like Fassbender and think he might be a actor than DiCaprio (Fassbender has demonstrated much less range so far), but that's nonsense. And I don't think you should be allowed to list Shame twice.

Philip Seymour Hoffman would get my vote, but he's maybe too old to be "our generation". Same with DDL.

Fry

Eh, Fassbender is great, and he's getting into some great movies lately, but he's overrated, especially on GAF. He is miles away from actors like DiCaprio, Bale, Damon, etc.

Jake Gyllenhaal is an actor that I don't see getting much credit.

Di Caprio is a great actor, but possibly not quite as good as either he or Martin Scorcese thinks he is. He doesn't always convince in every role. Great in Departed, less so in the Aviator.

As a child of the 90s I still sometimes think he was best during the pre-Titanic days. Basketball Diaries, Gilbert Grape - loved him back then.

I agree 10000000%. I absolutely love his work, and have been crying this from the rooftops ever since I seen him in Catch me if you can. He and Russell Crowe are my all time favourite actors.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Sam Rockwell would be known as the best of our generation if he was given the roles that we know he could pull off.

This. The guy is an incredible and versatile actor. He can nail both comedy and very serious roles, something not even some of the "best" actors can do.

The Chef

I agree 10000000%. I absolutely love his work, and have been crying this from the rooftops ever since I seen him in Catch me if you can. He and Russell Crowe are my all time favourite actors.

Hell yeah.

I don't know who's the best but <3 Leo. The Aviator especially...that one tiny sequence when he's in the car by himself...I can never get that thing out of my head; it's just one guy spelling the word 'quarantine' and it's so fucking intense. Sometimes I do it myself in my head for no particular reason.

Scene is so chilling. I think it's at the end of the "blueprint" YouTube video in the OP.

Dan Yo

Banned
He tends to pick good movies to be in, but I've never seen him in a role that I found him convincing in. I usually just see him in a film and think "well they could've gotten someone tougher sounding and looking for this role" or "they could've gotten someone more convincing for his character here".

I tend to like a lot of the movies he does in spite of him being in it, rather than because he's in it.

mattiewheels

Well she's not exactly the same generation as a lot of these guys, but has anyone talked about Cate Blanchett? She acts circles around pretty much anyone, she still is due that perfect role that defines her, but the ones she's had are pretty enormous. Did she win an oscar for playing Dylan that year? I forget...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom