• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii update 3.4 is out.

Axalon

Blu_LED said:
What did 2.0 and 3.0 do?
2.0 came out at launch and let us use the SD card slot or something fundamental like that. 3.0 added USB keyboard support, the clock, some message board changes, and other stuff.

3.4? I updated and it still said 3.3 (NA)

then again i was in a hurry and might've misread it wrong...cant check since I'm updating my other Wii (JP)

HUELEN10

I have Homebrew channel for Captain Rainbow and Wario land Shake. I also switched Shop Channel Regions to get a UK game. Someone be the sacrificial lamb and tell us what happens. To him I say godspeed sir.

Linkzg said:
Cutting off ways to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom would be sin.
This too.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Stumpokapow said:
Why not 3.3? 3.3 is still Twilight Hackable, which means it's region free (without any silly Datel disc).

Basically because I know it rips away the channel and CBF reinstalling it all. 3.2 works fine so might as well leave it - especially if they aren't adding anything new/

Guys if you have the Homebrew Channel etc don't update, because if they have killed it at least wait for someone else to check it on their Wii.

Tenbatsu

Those that had the homebrew channel installed might want to wait for others to test it first before updating I suppose.

Fuuuck I should have spent my other 1200 points the other day. I hope it doesn't mess with Homebrew Channel. I'd miss having ScummVM on Wii. That's all I have ever used it for. (With files from my original Sam n Max, DOTT, and Indy discs, FYI)

Damned, Dirty pirates.

Haunted

Happy with my 3.2E, but I still want to know what this one actually does.

Maybe, just maybe it's not completely worthless this time. :eek:
who am I kidding

This is what the Japanese Wii Shop Channel says. i think its talking about the update but I don't know Japanese...so...maybe someone can translate?

DSC02469.jpg

DSC02470.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SonOfABeep said:
Fuuuck I should have spent my other 1200 points the other day. I hope it doesn't mess with Homebrew Channel. I'd miss having ScummVM on Wii. That's all I have ever used it for. (With files from my original Sam n Max, DOTT, and Indy discs, FYI)

Damned, Dirty pirates.
What does spending your 1200 point have to do with any of the other stuff?

HUELEN10

I am about 20 percent done installing it on my roommate's Wii. he has no homebrew or any of that shit though, but at least we will know what it does, and if the Twilight hack still works.

VOOK

HUELEN10 said:
Okay GAF! I am done!

Here is what I notice.....

I updated, and the system menu STILL says 3.3U!

:lol

Can't someone translate the Japanese above :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blu_LED said:
What did 2.0 and 3.0 do?
3.0 was not to major, but here is what it did:
* Corrected some stability issues when using the LAN adapter and added AOSS networking support
* Certain modchips and other devices no longer work (such as the GameCube FreeLoader boot disc from Datel)
* Wii Shop Channel updated
* Altered the Wii Menu design to include a digital clock with the current time[11]
* The area around the Wii Message Board button will now flash when a new message arrives

* Wii Message Board:
o You're now able to rearrange the order of your Wii Friends in the address book
o You're now able to go into the Wii Friends registration screen by pressing the A Button on blank spot in the address book
o Envelope message icons will now appear on the calendar only on the dates when a message is received
o Your message sending history will now be displayed in Today's Accomplishments
o You can now scroll the message text by pressing the B button on the message screen[

Now 2.0 was a huge huge update, but you never would know, since it came out just before the system was launched (Early demo stations came with a disk to put 2.0 onto a system), but since pre-2.0 firmware systems were very uncommon, here is all wikipedia lists:
# Altered the Wii Menu design
# You can now write and read data on an SD card[11]
# Addition of country settings option and system update option in settings menu[11]
# You can now arrange all channels (except the Disc Channel) on the Wii menu by holding A and B at the same time[11]
# Ability to set parental controls to restrict online activities and only let particular rated games to be played

I FOUND IT!

In the japanese Wii Shop Channel theres a new button on each info page. if you click it shows info like what controllers it uses.

It used to be on the "main" Page but now they moved it to its own page (I have bad explaining)

Its on the US Shop to. But the botton is not visible just goto any content (I chose Nintendo Channel) and click just a little to the right of the picture that it shows for the content. You'll see it.

And I'm serious just try it yourself.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
According to Aeana, the gist of the Japanese text above is:
Wii points are now Nintendo points, minor cosmetic changes to the menu.

WiiRevolution1 said:
This is what the Japanese Wii Shop Channel says. i think its talking about the update but I don't know Japanese...so...maybe someone can translate?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p231/WiiRevolution1/DSC02469.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p231/WiiRevolution1/DSC02470.jpg

On Thursday, 10/23 starting at 7 AM, the Shopping Channel is undergoing maintenance longer than scheduled, and is currently not in service. We apologize for any inconvenience due to this maintenance.

With this maintenance, the following changes will be made.

Wii Points will soon be called Nintendo Points, and all references as such will be updated. All other functionality with Nintendo Points will remain the same.

The controller usage explanation screen will be updated.

The controller usage explanation screen will be separated from the purchase screen. Along with this, the user will be prompted to confirm that they have any necessary accessories before being able to press the Purchase button.

The design of the icons displayed will be updated.

VOOK

Wow Nintendo, adding in some great functionality there. I hope all updates in the future are as good.

Cheesemeister said:
On Thursday, 10/23 starting at 7 AM, the Shopping Channel is undergoing maintenance longer than scheduled, and is currently not in service. We apologize for any inconvenience due to this maintenance.

With this maintenance, the following changes will be made.

Wii Points will soon be called Nintendo Points, and all references as such will be updated. All other functionality with Nintendo Points will remain the same.

The controller usage explanation screen will be updated.

The controller usage explanation screen will be separated from the purchase screen. Along with this, the user will be prompted to confirm that they have any necessary accessories before being able to press the Purchase button.

The design of the icons displayed will be updated.
Cool I found one out before anyone else did.

The design of the icons look the same though.

To bad it was'nt anything major...the last major update was August 6th 2007...

VOOK

So it's not really 3.4 then is it, just 3.3 with some shop additions?

Azure J

I wonder if this is the reason that Smash Online and the Shop Channel have been so extraordinarily borked this week.

Drkirby said:
What does spending your 1200 point have to do with any of the other stuff?

You need to connect to the shop channel to use your points

You need to update to connect to the shop channel

the update may kill the homebrew channel.

Ramenman

WiiRevolution1 said:
3.4? I updated and it still said 3.3 (NA)

then again i was in a hurry and might've misread it wrong...cant check since I'm updating my other Wii (JP)

So you're saying you might have read it right ? :eek:

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
brandonh83 said:
if it really does then shit it's the best update so far :lol

Yeah besides the keyboard one this would actually be something nice. :lol

Top Bottom