• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE adds Operations in Server Browser after high demand. Removes 40 player operation

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bungie gets a lot of flack here for their boneheaded moves, but DICE has been on a roll as well with BF1. First they 'fixed' the insane grenade spam in the game by literally resupplying everyone grenades every 30 seconds (yes, this actually happened) and now after 9 months of bitching and moaning by the community who couldnt find any 40 player operations using matchmaking, they finally added Operations to the server browser....

But in the process, they removed 40 player operations altogether and now everyone is forced to play the clusterfuck 64 player maps where you get sniped, blown to bits by random grenades, planes and tanks. The funny thing is that 64 player operations were never hard to find, the problem was always with 40 player ops putting you in empty lobbies.

I dont understand how devs can be so out of touch with reality. Do they not play their own game? Even Jackfrags in his latest video pointed out how 40 player ops play so much better than the 64 player ops. I am flabbergasted. I want my money back because the only mode i played and enjoyed is now gone. i waited 10 months for a server browser for this mode and now its fucking useless. Unbelievable.

Any BF1 players here?

Edit: DICE's official reasoning:

Based on continuous feedback from our community and an ongoing effort to ensure successful matchmaking for Operations servers we have disabled the 40-player option. We've determined that by allowing servers to only support 64-player Operations, match joining times are kept at a minimum and the probability of joining an active populated server is drastically increased. Our goal is to unite our players under this fan-favorite mode and consistently provide more instances of matches quicker. As with every improvement, we will continue to monitor experiences and take your feedback into consideration. See you on the Battlefield!

551ab0417cc67df534c9fd53-580750a5dc8cbd0035050680.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They removed 40 player Operations? Goddamn that sucks. Best mode in BF1. Should have removed 64 player.

I'm glad I didn't get Premium for BF1. Battlefield was always my go to competitive MP game but BF1's support has been weak and patches slow to come.

Kuro

After the shit show BF3 was and how empty PC Battlefront was I kind of lost a lot of interest in DICE. They can't seem to run a good multiplayer or do campaigns for that matter.

VariantX

Just goes to show the general audience just wants more bodies to shoot at to keep the numbers popping up, triggering a dopamine response than a balanced encounter between two teams.

SlimySnake

They removed 40 player Operations? Goddamn that sucks. Best mode in BF1. Should have removed 64 player.

I'm glad I didn't get Premium for BF1. Battlefield was always my go to competitive MP game but BF1's support has been weak and patches slow to come.
I bought premium to play ops when it went on sale for $40. Didnt play a single one until the free DLC weekend a couple of months ago. the game i can return and get some money back, but im stuck with premium.

Wtf Dice??? I'm not touching the fucking chaotic mess that is 64 player Operations

they should have removed 64 players. It's a clusterfuck.
Exactly. 64 player should have been canned from the start. that would've fixed everything. But like the guy below pointed out, casuals love the easy kills and thats why they have that 64 player mode. First Destiny 2 with its casual loot system and now this, i think i am pretty much done with online gaming. it is clearly not for me.

Just goes to show the general audience just wants more bodies to shoot at to keep the numbers popping up, triggering a dopamine response than a balanced encounter between two teams.

What...

64 Player Ops suck! Why would they do this!?

Why did they add grenade respawning to 'fix' grenade spam? These guys probably think 2+2 = Fish.

JBuccCP

I had forgotten about that grenade change. I jumped in for a couple rounds today for the first time in a few months. On Amiens the nade spam was constant. But I guess it always was. The pace of Battlefield has just gotten too fast, even going to WWI didn't slow anything down. I hope the popularity of PUBG rubs off on DICE and encourages them to pump the breaks and get back to basics a bit. Spurts of chaos can be good, but when it's never ending it just gets tedious.

SlimySnake

I had forgotten about that grenade change. I jumped in for a couple rounds today for the first time in a few months. On Amiens the nade spam was constant. But I guess it always was. The pace of Battlefield has just gotten too fast, even going to WWI didn't slow anything down. I hope the popularity of PUBG rubs off on DICE and encourages them to pump the breaks and get back to basics a bit. Spurts of chaos can be good, but when it's never ending it just gets tedious.

they removed the grenade respawning mechanic a month after adding it. so thats no longer an issue. the game still has a greande problem but its not as bad as it was at launch. they have increased timers, reduced damage for anti tank grenades and cut down the gas grenades to 1.

That absolutely sucks. The base PS4 buckles under 64 players - it runs terribly and the player count makes it total chaos to play. 40-player ops was my favorite mode.

Completely dumb that they did that but what the hell is everybody talking about in here? 40 players is fine but has the downtime of conquest. 64 is a clusterfuck but that's what makes it so good.

frontovik

Banned
It was quite a disappointment for me on PC after not buying a BF game since BF3. That's why I'm not inclined to buy any further games from EA.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Hardly ever played operations in my 100's and 100's of hours playing BF1. In Australia, 9/10 times you searched for either 40 or 64 player operations games you would get dropped into an empty server (after watching the intros for the map etc, urg)

The server browser is a welcomed addition IMO however most BF players come for the conquest which is the only BF mode you need!

A necessary step, even removing 40 player operatoons

What they really need to be doing is tweaking 64 player operations as some areas are just terrible

Foxxsoxx

Ugh 40 man ops was balanced way better, not to mention ran way better.

I have been waiting for this update for ages and this killed it for me.

40 players operations was the best. 64 players is a cluster fuck. Also I could only find like ~5 Russian operation matches. I couldn't find any of the French operations...RIP

Nizz

The game's already running not so great on the base PS4, never been a fan of 64 player modes like Conquest because it just runs badly. I've always stuck to modes like Rush with smaller player counts for the sake of it running smoother. Even then, it seems with every patch the game seems to run worse.

I remember playing Operations on release and enjoyed the mode but always stuck to 40 player counts. Now only 64 player servers are available? No thanks. Dice really need to try to optimize the game some, I swear on release the smaller player modes ran pretty well. But now I can feel the difference and it's not for the better.

Are the main Dice devs still working on the game? Or is it a different Dice team on this? I mean, I still love the game but no 40p Operations and need for more optimization are getting me down...

Bleh between things like this and Destiny I feel like games are going entirely too casual for my tastes. I wouldn't care but it seems to be coming at the expense of other content I'd like better.

THEaaron

I am so happy that I didnt buy the premium pass. It is really strange how they dictate the experience. Even BF3 and BF4 were chaotic and nearly unplayable with 64p. Some of the BF maps really start to shine with 32-48 players. Such a shame.

Kolx

The only reason for me to come back every one and then is gone now. Glad BF4 is still a life and kicking so I don't have to go with this shitshow of a support.

Top Bottom