• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - a new Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays (S2 full trailer is up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
P3YQWX2.jpg

Silicon Valley, a Mike Judge comedy, premieres on Sunday, April 6th at 10pm on HBO. The show takes a look at startup culture in Silicon Valley and has drawn comparisons to Office Space and Party Down from critics. The initial reviews have been very good. The first season will consist of eight episodes.

HBO said:
In the high-tech gold rush of modern Silicon Valley, the people most qualified to succeed are the least capable of handling success. Mike Judge (“Office Space,” “Beavis & Butthead,” “King of the Hill”) brings his irreverent brand of humor to HBO in the new comedy series SILICON VALLEY. Partially inspired by Judge’s own experiences as a Silicon Valley engineer in the late ‘80s, the show kicks off its eight-episode season this April.

Cast:
Thomas Middleditch as Thomas
T. J. Miller as Erlich
Zach Woods as Jared Dunn
Kumail Nanjiani as Dinesh
Martin Starr as Gilfoyle
Amanda Crew as Monica​

xwyolXG.jpg

Videos:
Links:
- HBO
- Wikipedia
- IMDB

Articles:

Reviews:
- Tim Goodman's review for THR
Even when you see a good joke coming, it’s often funnier than you expected. And Silicon Valley has countless moments in the first handful of episodes where sharp, satirical stabs at the holier-than-though, we’ve-inherited-the-world, POV of the real Silicon Valley are almost too close to the funny bone.

Mostly though, Silicon Valley has a strong cast that can pull off all kinds of comedy. It has tech lust – which so many of us swim in – for a starting point. And it has consistently funny writing. It’s the best, most wide-appeal show that HBO has had in ages. Now the channel will just need to find out if any of the people it will appeal to are subscribers.
- Variety review
After a string of half-hours seemingly designed for niche tastes that sporadically merit the label “comedy,” HBO has its most fully realized and potentially commercial player within that genre in some time thanks to “Silicon Valley.” Co-created by Mike Judge (with the dryness of “King of the Hill” and tone of “Office Space”), it’s a savvy look at the birthing pains of a tech startup, filled with unforced humor and a serialized plot, in which the sad-sack characters find themselves caught between feuding billionaires. Similar but superior to Amazon’s “Betas,” it’s inordinately user-friendly compared to many recent pay-cable offerings.
- Emily Nussbaum with a few thoughts on Silicon Valley in The New Yorker (bottom of the page)
At its best, the show echoes not only Judge’s cult film “Office Space” but the late, great Starz sitcom about Los Angeles, “Party Down,” another portrait of a one-industry town spiked with self-hate.
- IndieWire: Why HBO's New Series 'Silicon Valley' Is Mike Judge's Funniest Comedy Since 'Office Space'
The series, which has the potential to be HBO's most mainstream comedy in several years, presents a bitterly funny bubble in which insane amounts of money and coding talent have converged and all of the usual middlemen, sales types and public faces that used to be involved in this process have been left out. There's only Richard, trying valiantly not to die of a panic attack when negotiating for the future of his company and trying to hold onto his humanity -- and it's a process you're going to want to watch.
- Entertainment Weekly review:
As in Office Space, the heart of the show is watching Richard and his friends struggle to make sense of themselves and their purpose. They're good, weird guys you want to hang out with. A-

Promo Pics:

I'll always give Mike Judge a sure-fire shot. Had no clue he was doing something new. The one guy from Party Down is in it I see. And Alec freakin' Berg?! Damn.

lednerg

I'm fine with that poster; it conveys a lot with a little.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely check this out.

- SFGate Review: Best tech show yet
That variety of tone is another way in which "Silicon Valley" sets itself apart from most other half-hour comedies. And none of this is accidental. A hilarious show about overnight success and next-day failure in the tech world is a Silicon Valley rarity: a startup that's a sure thing.

Sanjuro

Damn you, Cornballer.

Every time I see this thread bumped, I envision a early release on HBOGo.

EDIT: Ah. It's the OT now.

Sanjuro

Side note, I can't help but feel that John Oliver is getting a little shafted. Looks like half season for this (full season for Veep) until the 28th, then his show goes on.

Game of Thrones being the lead in.

- Matt Zoller Seitz: Silicon Valley's Version of Machismo Is Hilarious, and Feels New
HBO’s Silicon Valley captures a world you’ve rarely seen depicted with intelligence or care, populated by types that you didn’t know were types; it’s sometimes sweet but often brutal, but thanks to the keen satirical eye of its co-creator, Mike Judge (Office Space), you never feel that you’re watching unfair swipes. It’s about prospectors in what might be the last remaining gold rush, the world of tech in Northern California. That so many of the claims yield fool’s gold gives the characters’ grandiose pronouncements about their own talent a certain poignancy. Everybody on this show wants to be the next Steve Jobs, but a lot of them are lucky just to have jobs.

Empty

i don't really understand this tweet. he likes it, but it's as funny as a drama?? i realize stuff like the wire has good jokes but it's not the same as a comedy like veep or curb your enthusiasm.

always happy to see martin starr get work anyway. will watch for him and because i like judge's office space.

i don't really understand this tweet. he likes it, but it's as funny as a drama?? i realize stuff like the wire has good jokes but it's not the same as a comedy like veep or curb your enthusiasm.
Aside from Veep, HBO has been struggling to put together a good half hour comedy for awhile now, and there's been a running joke that their dramas tend to have more humor than their comedies which stray towards being dramedy in a lot of cases.

Empty

Aside from Veep, HBO has been struggling to put together a good half hour comedy for awhile now, and there's been a running joke that their dramas tend to have more humor than their comedies which stray towards being dramedy in a lot of cases.

oh okay, that makes sense. i can see that from looking and enlightened, both of which are barely comedies (though i like them very much). it just sounds like a critic is being ironic and making a sick burn/damning with faint praise if you aren't in the know.

Dany

Banned
I imagine this show is going to get some solid ratings considering whats before and after it.

How did veep fare last season?

I imagine this show is going to get some solid ratings considering whats before and after it.

How did veep fare last season?
Veep numbers aren't great as far as the first run airing goes, but they were up from S1 to S2. I would imagine with the time shifting/on-demand bump it does fine. It'll be interesting to see how Silicon Valley does in the middle of that block.

HBO is doing a free preview weekend on most carriers for Game of Thrones from April 4-7, so hopefully a few people tune in for Silicon Valley, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom