• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donax

Neo Member
It would be so great if they implement a Dark Souls/ZombiU multiplayer system. Sending a copy of our character to random guys of our level would bring for the first time the real impression to fight real persons with real combinaisons of pokemons instead of the usual 4x magikarp dudes. Also it could be nice if after the fight we can ask the guy we fought his/her in-game phone number for a rematch.

joetachi

uhhhh...

153.png
154.png

156.png
157.png

159.png
160.png

thanks for proving my point?

CorvoSol

I think Torterra may be my favorite Grass starter evo.

I mean good lord, it looks like Bowser with a damn tree growing out of it.

Torterra was definitely one of the better designs of Gen 4 and miles ahead of Infernape. Empoleon wasn't TOO bad, I felt.

Gen 2 has the blandest starters - especially the final evos. Pretty sure it's the reason GF avoids the 'obvious' evolution method and now goes for the 'surprise!'. I remember them stating post-BW release that they wanted players to not know exactly where the final evolutions where headed just by looking at them (which got ruined when they were leaked anyway and then they announced the 2nd stages in corocoro prior to release anyway).

Typhlosion continues to be super wicked awesome.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Blastoise>Empoleon>Feraligatr>Swampert>Samurott

Charizard>Blaziken>Infernape>Typhlosion>Emboar

Torterra>Venosaur>Meganium>Serperior>Sceptile

Vire

The real question is, which starter has the best second form. It's tough to make them not look like they are going through their awkward teenage years.

499.gif

Pignite is probably my favorite.

zroid

Banned
I love 2nd form starters! Hard to pick one though... Grovyle or Dewott probably...

Same for me, I think.

I like Wartortle a lot too.

After those three, probably Servine, and then Ivysaur. None of the fire second forms do much for me, sadly. :\

Berordn

The real question is, which starter has the best second form. It's tough to make them not look like they are going through their awkward teenage years.

Pignite looks like the very definition of a teenager during puberty.

Grovyle is only answer.
Wartortle maybe a close second.

Why are Therian formes banned? Especially after making those 3 look so cool...they really that much more powerful?

It's mostly that they're incompatible with B/W. They are beasts though, make no mistake.

Teknoman

Grovyle is only answer.

It's mostly that they're incompatible with B/W. They are beasts though, make no mistake.

Oh, thought they just reverted when played against B/W. Hopefully they retain their formes in X/Y.

Vire

Grovyle is only answer.

Nah way, he looks like a Luchador wrestler!

Wartortle makes me think of a balding old man who kept the sides but lost the middle.

Ivysaur is probably my second favorite.

Cromat

That may have made sense back then since the series was still very new, but after 5 generations, I believe it's about time to introduce new types for variety AND gameplay balancing.

While adding Dark and Steel did fix some of the balance issues with the original game (Namely the nearly invincible Psychic types of that Gen), it still left some pretty big issues with other types (namely Poison, Ice and Flying) that haven't been corrected or adjusted since Gen II, well over 12 years ago. By adding at least two new types, Game Freak could help balance the game further by giving older types with issues better effectiveness, while breathing new life into what has been very fun, but stagnant gameplay mechaincs.

I'm just saying'....

I think it is much easier to just change the type advantage chart around to make it more balanced. Have poison super effective against water or something, among others.

Rubius

Love Grovyle's shiny too:

253-shiny-frame1.png

Hunting him once I finally get my fucking Scraggy.

Never understood that. How do you get a shiny starter? Breeding and luck?
that's one thing that piss me off. Starters seem more rare than actual legendaries. Really? On the show you could see thousands of Charmanders, Squirtle and Bulbazaur. Even in the manga. But in the games? NOPE. Highlander. Even if there was a second Bulbazaur in Pokemon Blue...

papercamm

that's one thing that piss me off. Starters seem more rare than actual legendaries. Really? On the show you could see thousands of Charmanders, Squirtle and Bulbazaur. Even in the manga. But in the games? NOPE. Highlander. Even if there was a second Bulbazaur in Pokemon Blue...

Yep, luck.

brinstar

you can just keep resetting over and over until you get one

Aggrotek

Either soft resetting or breeding. I am a fan of the Masuda Method personally. Soft resetting for starters isn't fun to me.

Grakl

I had a legit shiny Charmander once (Soul Silver). Sold the game to Gamestop, haha.

Absolute luck.

I somehow managed to get a shiny Torchic in Sapphire. Never again. I was resetting for a female starter at the time, lol.

Kyzer

Banned
yeah, if you get really lucky. you could use that time you spent resetting for a shiny starter to enter yourself into publishers clearing house 3k+ times

Totodile was awesome. All of Gen 2's starters were awesome. Much better than Gen 3.
All gen 3 starters were superior to gen 2 starters. The only set of starters worse than gen 2 was gen 4.
Yes. Yes, it is.

Torterra > Venusaur > Serperior = Sceptile > Meganium
If were now doing this rate.
Grass:
Serperior> sceptile> torterra> meganium> venusaur

Water:
Swampert> samurot> blastoise> empoleon> feraligatr

Fire:
Charizard> blaziken> typhlosion> Emboar> infernape

Venusaur, feraligatr, Emboar and infernape got badly beaten by the ugly stick. Meganium, torterra, empoleon and samurot were boring. Fire> grass> water in terms of final evo designs.

Berordn

It's always been somewhat implied that the starters available per region are from faraway lands and/or endangered, so there's that. They're still common enough in the games that trainers will have them every so often.

Kyzer

Banned
It's always been somewhat implied that the starters available per region are from faraway lands and/or endangered, so there's that. They're still common enough in the games that trainers will have them every so often.

I fully expect them to someday explain where they come from...like Togepi in Unova.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Problem with Sceptile is that Grovyle is much better.

Didn't help that PMD2 made me love Grovyle more.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think Luxray was somewhat a lion.

I don't count Raikou as a Sabretooth Tiger. I want a 2 staged fossil Sabertooth Tiger. Would be awesome.

That's what Luxray is supposed to be.

Watchog

Closest would probably be the Luxray line:

a5pMU.png

edit :p

Well, I do think Luxray has lion-like influences, but I'm pretty sure the line as a whole are more based on Lynx.

Luxio especially has the little Lynx beard.

Seriously? I thought the lines were inspired by Sphinx. I noticed colors were egyptians. Black, gold and blue are common colors for mummy coffin and statues.

tutmask_wall_small.gif

Rubius

Hell make them ultra rare encounter in some part of the world only. It kinda ruin the "immersion" of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom