• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Special Stages, Bonus Stages, & Time Attack Shown Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been awhile since I looked into the rumors of the game. What all stages are rumored in the community to be returning? I've heard rumors of Marble Garden Zone due to some of the objects from that stage being in the game.

Guess Who

Banned
It's been awhile since I looked into the rumors of the game. What all stages are rumored in the community to be returning? I've heard rumors of Marble Garden Zone due to some of the objects from that stage being in the game.

It's the opposite - most people are assuming that, if a zone's level-specific gimmick is in another stage in Mania, that stage probably won't also be in Mania. So, for instance, Marble Garden is probably out because the vertical pillars from Act 2 that Sonic can run around can be found in Stardust Speedway in Mania.

You can process-of-elimination out a bunch of stages this way, but the only stage I know of that people believe is likely in but unannounced is Hydrocity due to a piece of fan art posted (then deleted immediately) by a Mania artist.

Finalizer

Drop Dash is low-key brilliant and one of the biggest additions to the game, but none of the footage until this trailer has demonstrated why so people just don't know yet.

Yeah, I think it's still a bit harder to sell it's usefulness to the casual audience than something like Tails' and Knuckle's abilities, but at least the benefit is more directly obvious than the insta-shield.

It's the opposite - most people are assuming that, if a zone's level-specific gimmick is in another stage in Mania, that stage probably won't also be in Mania. So, for instance, Marble Garden is probably out because the vertical pillars from Act 2 that Sonic can run around can be found in Stardust Speedway in Mania.

You can process-of-elimination out a bunch of stages this way, but the only stage I know of that people believe is likely in but unannounced is Hydrocity due to a piece of fan art posted (then deleted immediately) by a Mania artist.

Thanks! I'm honestly hoping for Marble Garden Zone. It's my favorite stage. But if I cant have that, Hydrocity Zone or Mushroom Hill Zone will do!

MrBadger

Thanks! I'm honestly hoping for Marble Garden Zone. It's my favorite stage. But if I cant have that, Hydrocity Zone or Mushroom Hill Zone will do!

I think Hydrocity is the safest bet. It's the most popular zone in Sonic 3 and we haven't seen a dedicated water level in the game yet

The special stages having the spheres from 3&K, the UFO and general feel of CD, the ring gathering of 2 and the weird background details of 1 (yo they made a polygonal model of the green bird!!!!!) is just perfect.

Guess Who

Banned
Yeah, I think it's still a bit harder to sell it's usefulness to the casual audience than something like Tails' and Knuckle's abilities, but at least the benefit is more directly obvious than the insta-shield.

Haha, I remember posting on GAF a year ago, right after the first Mania trailer debuted, how the Drop Dash was going to be way more useful and easily understood than the insta-shield. People were skeptical! I've been waiting for high-level gameplay footage of Mania to come out to illustrate just how useful it is, because most of the press footage so far never even really touches the Drop Dash.

ArchAngel

Blue Sphere stage is back? ;(
It was ok 1993 when I was younger, but now I suck at them and get nervous as it gets faster. Can't handle them anymore.

These guys should do a new Sonic R next that doesn't control like ass.
I always thought Sonic R was a really cool concept (exploratory racing game, this is kind of what Diddy Kong Racing was too but in vehicles), but like you said the controls are terrible and the game is ludicrously short.

I also wouldn't mind at some point a Taxman-style remastering of Chaotix, 3D Blast and Spinball, it could help to fix some of the problems with those games. S3&K first, obviously.

rtcn63

Was never a fan of those checkerboard stages. But I am desperate for a decent Sonic game to play. Last one was Generations (not great), unless you count Transformed (pretty fun).

Sonic Mania |OT| Pixel Perfect

Sonic Mania |OT| Perfect Blue

I think Hydrocity is the safest bet. It's the most popular zone in Sonic 3 and we haven't seen a dedicated water level in the game yet

Yeah I definitely wouldnt be surprised if it came back. I notice theres also a little bit of dislike for Marble Garden. lol

The Special Stages look fantastic! Like a combination of Sonic CD, Chaotix, and Saturn 3D Blast. Really impressive how they've managed to make it look like a genuine 3D experience you'd find on the Saturn!

The Bonus Stages are really good, too. I'm happy Blue Spheres are finally returning in some form, even if I rarely go into the Bonus Stages whenever I play S3&K.

Yep, it's probably either Hydrocity or Ice Cap. I'd really be surprised (and not in a good way, unless it's Marble Garden Zone, which it won't be) if it wasn't either of those two.

NoName999

Was never a fan of those checkerboard stages. But I am desperate for a decent Sonic game to play. Last one was Generations (not great), unless you count Transformed (pretty fun).

Sonic Mania |OT| Pixel Perfect

Sonic Mania |OT| Perfect Blue

Sonic Mania |OT| As You TRULY Imagine It

Brizzo24

Will Sonic Mania be available in a standard physical edition (Switch), or is it DL only? Also, it will be $15, or $20?

Sorry to ask, but I couldn't find any info on this /\

J@hranimo

Banned
I was listening to Hydrocity Act 2 music at work last night and I MUST have that zone as the Sonic 3 rep! The crazy level design with Tee Lopes doing that remix...it would be incredible.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For stages, we know two things, there are 2/3rds returning stages, the game has more stages than Sonic Generations (so that means at least 10), and it was said recently the length and content of the game is comparable to Sonic 3 & Knuckles (so that means it's likely 12-14 stages long with 2 acts each). Right now we know then either about half or less than half of the stages right now (Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Flying Battery, Stardust Speedway, Studiopolis, Mirage Saloon). I fully think each returning game will have two stages each, and they mostly revealed the obvious ones for each game. IE Green Hill Zone is back but I think there will be one other returning stage from Sonic 1, and likewise for Sonic 2, Sonic 3&K (potentially there could be two total, or maybe 3-4 so both get two stages), and "Other" (there could be another Sonic CD stage but Sonic CD isn't listed in the same way 1-3&k are, so it could be there's a 'Other' category which is why we have a CD stage, and maybe we might see something else like a stage from one of the GameGear games).

For Sonic 3, Hydrocity or Ice Cap is what I would place my bets on, but we shall see. It also depends how many stages we're actually getting, though it seems right now like 12 is the minimal promised.

For stages, we know two things, there are 2/3rds returning stages, the game has more stages than Sonic Generations (so that means at least 10), and it was said recently the length and content of the game is comparable to Sonic 3 & Knuckles (so that means it's likely 12-14 stages long with 2 acts each). Right now we know then either about half or less than half of the stages right now (Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Flying Battery, Stardust Speedway, Studiopolis, Mirage Saloon). I fully think each returning game will have two stages each, and they mostly revealed the obvious ones for each game. IE Green Hill Zone is back but I think there will be one other returning stage from Sonic 1, and likewise for Sonic 2, Sonic 3&K (potentially there could be two total, or maybe 3-4 so both get two stages), and "Other" (there could be another Sonic CD stage but Sonic CD isn't listed in the same way 1-3&k are, so it could be there's a 'Other' category which is why we have a CD stage, and maybe we might see something else like a stage from one of the GameGear games).

For Sonic 3, Hydrocity or Ice Cap is what I would place my bets on, but we shall see. It also depends how many stages we're actually getting, though it seems right now like 12 is the minimal promised.

Prolly won't happen, but I'm hoping for some classic curveballs like Sunset Park.

AaronMT86

UPDATE:

Green Hill Zone Act 1 Time Attack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FvYZotwjOU

goal.gif

Tizoc

If anyone is looking for a cheap pc version look up
Gamebillet
Bundlestars
Indiegala
Humblebundle

gelf

I was worried about the new special stage being related to the one in CD as I hated that one but the video puts my mind at ease as it looks much more manageable.

I always thought Sonic R was a really cool concept (exploratory racing game, this is kind of what Diddy Kong Racing was too but in vehicles), but like you said the controls are terrible and the game is ludicrously short.

I also wouldn't mind at some point a Taxman-style remastering of Chaotix, 3D Blast and Spinball, it could help to fix some of the problems with those games. S3&K first, obviously.
Agreed on the merits of Sonic R. There's potential there. And my wish would be a Chaotix fix-up/sequel next then maybe another Mania. Fuck yes.

PlatStrat

Neo Member
Sonic Mania |OT| The REAL Sonic 4

Sonic Mania |OT| Taxman does what Sonic Team don't

Sonic Mania |OT| Knuckles and Knuckles (with Knuckles)

The Blue Sphere getting its revenge in bonus levels after years of most special stages being closer to or even copying S2 design is a really joyful news to hear. Though I can't help but wonder about details here.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The song is great. It's a flawlessly executed edgelord anthem.

The question is if they went over the top on purpose to take the piss out of it later, or if they actually think it's cool when played straight.

I'm actually willing to give them the benefit of the doubt it's intentional due to their recent weird adult swim commercials, social media shenanigans, the fact the game actually has a character creator system and stages, the game has some other cheesy (but catchy) B-songs,and outside of Infinite they literally have every main villain of the series returning as the league of evil under Dr. Eggman's rule. The individual parts might be harder to judge, but I'm pretty sure they decided to go for some stuff the series is memorable for (the Sonic Adventure 2 songs have stayed relevant to this day for a reason).

I am one of the monsters who loved Sonic 3's bonus stages over all of them so iam glad to see they have both styles in the game.

I am one of the monsters who loved Sonic 3's bonus stages over all of them so iam glad to see they have both styles in the game.

Blue sphere is alright, but it's pretty stiff and doesn't give as much control as I'd like. I'm fine with it as an extra thing. Wonder if the medals are important.

I'm actually willing to give them the benefit of the doubt it's intentional due to their recent weird adult swim commercials, social media shenanigans, the fact the game actually has a character creator system and stages, the game has some other cheesy (but catchy) B-songs,and outside of Infinite they literally have every main villain of the series returning as the league of evil under Dr. Eggman's rule. The individual parts might be harder to judge, but I'm pretty sure they decided to go for some stuff the series is memorable for (the Sonic Adventure 2 songs have stayed relevant to this day for a reason).

There's a potential version of Sonic Forces that uses Infinite and the character creator to make some grand meta commentary on the Sonic fandom, but I'm not getting my hopes up that this is it.

Dammit, I want to believe though.

dlauv

The song is great. It's a flawlessly executed edgelord anthem. The question is if they went over the top on purpose to take the piss out of it later, or if they actually think it's cool when played straight.

At least with Mania I don't feel the need to question its intentions.

Dangerkids is pretty straight-forward edge. The composer, Ohtani, stated his intentions for it to be heavy, "overwhelming," and edgy too, but in kind of "\m/" (his own emoji) way rather than a "lol" kind of way.

I don't know why anyone is giving Sonic Team the benefit of the doubt anyway, given their record. The Social Media account got everyone praying, I guess.

Puruzi

Banned

It's not intentional. The Sonic social media account and western advertising are self aware but I really don't think Sonic Team is. Pretty sure Forces is playing its edginess completely straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom