• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

cj_iwakura

vall03

ah, an SMT Community Thread, this is going to be fun!

I remember I went blindly into Persona 3 FES, all I know at that time is that I want to play it along with Persona 4 because of the soundtrack and I consider the series my favorite franchise. From there I've basically played almost all localized games except for the P1 and Eternal Punishment on PS1 and Raidou 1 since I can't find a cheap copy of it! Looking for Persona 3 vanilla though just for my collection.

Still hoping/wishing that Atlus remakes SMT 1&2 for 3DS and/or Vita...

cj_iwakura

vall03 said:
ah, an SMT Community Thread, this is going to be fun!

I remember I went blindly into Persona 3 FES, all I know at that time is that I want to play it along with Persona 4 because of the soundtrack and I consider the series my favorite franchise. From there I've basically played almost all localized games except for the P1 and Eternal Punishment on PS1 and Raidou 1 since I can't find a cheap copy of it! Looking for Persona 3 vanilla though just for my collection.

Still hoping/wishing that Atlus remakes SMT 1&2 for 3DS and/or Vita...

I wonder if we'll ever get an official shot at SMT1&2.

Aeana

I kind of doubt it. The reception to Strange Journey wasn't particularly stellar in the west, and I don't really think modern fans of the series will take to the older games as well.

I still need to finish Eternal Punishment ( pretty close to the end too! ). It would be fantastic if they decide to remake SMT1 and 2 for 3DS I feel.

Here's hoping for the future!!! <--- dur I know :p

randomkid

My favorite videogame series.

Oh and since other people are doing it, I'll list the first one I played: Revelations: Persona. Still one of my all time favorite videogames.

cj_iwakura said:
GBA got SNES SMT1+2. 3DS/Vita will get PSX SMT1+2?

cj_iwakura said:
Wow, we have similar tastes. That is my FAVORITE song from SMT1, bar none.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAkZgZPMfSs

I prefer that version though. Something about the SNES sound fits this game so well.

Ginza is pretty great, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYlpv6EtpBY
SMT1's soundtrack overall is consistently impressive. But I think my favourite tracks are the faction themes.
Law
Chaos
Neutral
Atmoshperic as hell.

Snakeyes

P3 was the game that introduced me to the series but I came to prefer the older Megaten style over time because of its gritty 90s sci-fi anime vibe. It's disappointing that Atlus has slowly started to steer away from that direction after the newer games' success.

Don't know about you guys, but I feel that the old-school face of the franchise could be very successful with the "mature" western crowd, a bit like Demon's Souls. There's literally nothing on the market like it.

EDIT: Hey, Ginza is my favorite SMT1 track :D

Aeana

viewtifulsub said:
GBA got SNES SMT1+2. 3DS/Vita will get PSX SMT1+2?

SMT1's soundtrack overall is consistently impressive. But I think my favourite tracks are the faction themes by far.
Law

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVzV8T7HKPk&feature=related]Neutral

Atmoshperic as hell.
I lost it when the LAW theme from SMT1 played in SMT3 Maniax. I am not ashamed to admit that that is one of the things that shot my perception of the game up dramatically over the original version.

Aeana said:
I lost it when the LAW theme from SMT1 played in SMT3 Maniax. I am not ashamed to admit that that is one of the things that shot my perception of the game up dramatically over the original version.
Maniax's bonus dungeon was SMT fan service galore for those who played SMT1+2 beforehand. So many awesome references

Lastly about SMT1; it featured the best beginning of any SMT related game ever. Fusing your pet dog into a lvl50 Cerberus? Oh you Cozy Okada.

randomkid

Snakeyes said:
Don't know about you guys, but I feel that the old-school face of the franchise could be very successful with the "mature" western crowd, a bit like Demon's Souls. There's literally nothing on the market like it.

Yeah, pretty sure this is why Nocturne is so well regarded on message boards. It's really difficult, it's really beautiful, and it conveys solitude better than just about any other game. That's kind of a winning combination among a certain set.

Aghhh, I love it so much. It's also one of my all time favorite games. Ask me on the right day and I'll say it's the best game ever made.

Also, I'm giving Atlus another two years or so to remake SMT 1 and 2. Otherwise I'll finally break down and buy the original cartridges.

vall03

viewtifulsub said:
Maniax's bonus dungeon was SMT fan service galore for those who played SMT1+2 beforehand. So many awesome references

Lastly about SMT1; it featured the best beginning of any SMT related game ever. Fusing your pet dog into a lvl50 Cerberus? Oh you Cozy Okada.
reading this, I just remembered that I was at this point on my playthrough of SMT1 using the fan-translation patch. I stopped when Pascal run away? after a boss fight...

vall03 said:
reading this, I just remembered that I was at this point on my playthrough of SMT1 using the fan-translation patch. I stopped when Pascal run away? after a boss fight...
Has been so many years since I last played it, but I believe Pascal ditches you after the introduction dungeon. So yea, you still had the whole game in front of you.

Snakeyes

randomkid said:
Yeah, pretty sure this is why Nocturne is so well regarded on message boards. It's really difficult, it's really beautiful, and it conveys solitude better than just about any other game. That's kind of a winning combination among a certain set.

Yeah... they just need good marketing. Play the commercials during True Blood or something.

Atlus could also use a Maken X sequel as a trojan horse to lure in the dudebros.

cj_iwakura said:

How about a HD remake?

vall03

viewtifulsub said:
Has been so many years since I last played it, but I believe Pascal ditches you after the introduction dungeon. So yea, you still had the whole game in front of you.
yeah, it seems the game is much more bigger, I just don't know when Im going to continue playing it though... :(

Sinople

cj_iwakura said:
I figured this would come up. When the Megami Tensei 1 & 2 fan translation is complete, I promise I'll add it. Until then, this is Atlus centric.
(They're still worth a mention for historical significance.)

Both Megami Tensei were developed by Atlus though, not Namco.
As the original series, they deserve to be included me thinks.

cj_iwakura

Sinople said:
Both Megami Tensei were developed by Atlus though, not Namco.
As the original series, they deserve to be included me thinks.

No, they weren't. Atlus made the 'new testament' versions, but the originals were by Namco.

Aeana

cj_iwakura said:
No, they weren't. Atlus made the 'new testament' versions, but the originals were by Namco.
No, he's right. Atlus developed the originals, they were only published by Namco.

Caelestis

I am a pretty big fan of SMT, but I am starting to feel a bit disappointed by Atlus. They focus so much on Persona and so little on other titles. I wish I could see more stuff along the lines of Nocturne or DDS, or if it's Persona then more like how it was before P3 came out.

Dascu

I never finished SMT1, got a little bit into post-apocalypse Tokyo and then quit for some reason. Not sure if I want to go back. I should give SMT2 a try instead.

Dascu

So uh, maybe this is considered blasphemy, but has anyone else thought it'd be kind of neat to have an action-adventure/RPG game in the MegaTen universe? Something like Demon's Souls perhaps. Don't get me wrong, I love the turn-based RPG combat and even the random encounter system of the MegaTen games. But I would like to see them try a more real-time, action spin-off for a change.

cj_iwakura

Dascu said:
So uh, maybe this is considered blasphemy, but has anyone else thought it'd be kind of neat to have an action-adventure/RPG game in the MegaTen universe? Something like Demon's Souls perhaps. Don't get me wrong, I love the turn-based RPG combat and even the random encounter system of the MegaTen games. But I would like to see them try a more real-time, action spin-off for a change.

Have you played Imagine? There you go.

The game has flaws, but the atmosphere and combat is pretty solid. They nailed SMT2's atmosphere in 3d form, namely Shinjuku Babel and Nakano(I LOVE Nakano).

imagine-12.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf2uXxZoMqM

I'd rather not admit how much time I spent on that game.

Dascu

cj_iwakura said:

The game has flaws, but the atmosphere and combat is pretty solid. They nailed SMT2's atmosphere in 3d form, namely Shinjuku Babel and Nakano(I LOVE Nakano).

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/imagine-12.jpg[img]

[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf2uXxZoMqM[/url]

I'd rather not admit how much time I spent on that game.[/QUOTE]
Online? Eh, that's not my cup of tea.

cj_iwakura

There's also MR. THRILLER.

What a wacky game. I think it was almost too wacky, it didn't feel as serious as SMT1.

I can think of countless memorable events from SMT1, but SMT2... uh... the disco,
Satan's reveal, OH MY GOD BEETLEJUICE KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE, Louis Cypher being awesome, etc.
, and that's about it.

And Yahweh being a jerk I suppose.

cj_iwakura said:
There's also MR. THRILLER.

What a wacky game. I think it was almost too wacky, it didn't feel as serious as SMT1.

I can think of countless memorable events from SMT1, but SMT2... uh... the disco,
Satan's reveal, OH MY GOD BEETLEJUICE KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE, Louis Cypher being awesome, etc.
, and that's about it.

And Yahweh being a jerk I suppose.

For me, the most memorable event in SMT1 was later on in the game, when
the Black Baron reaches out and grabs the Law Hero. His massive demon hands
scared the shit out of me in first-person.

cj_iwakura said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf2uXxZoMqM

I'd rather not admit how much time I spent on that game.

What I played, I loved. I wish I had the time to put in to the game; as you said, it captures SMT II atmosphere quite quite good. I love it.

I want more SMT.

Well might as well share what got me into the series. I remember in EGMs heyday, back in highschool reading an article that mentioned SMT. I was reading the synopsis of what Nocturne was and on paper I was really impressed and the dark over tones really called to me. I remember for a week around it's launch I kept calling my local gamestop and drove them crazy. Anyway, popped in the CD and the game and thus I became a forever fan of Shoji Meguro and Kazuma Kaneko.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Looking through the OP, despite considering myself a fan of the franchise I have still yet to play.

- Shin megami tensei 1
- Shin megami tensei 2
- Shin megami tensei : soul hackers (well no fan-translation yet justifys this i suppose)
- Persona 2 : Eternal punishment

I ought to rectify this sometime in the future.

Almyn

How is Persona 1 on psp? I have been really tempted to buy it on psn for a while now. I'm off work for a few days and looking for something to sink some time into.

Almyn said:
How is Persona 1 on psp? I have been really tempted to buy it on psn for a while now. I'm off work for a few days and looking for something to sink some time into.

I personally didn't like it, the interface is not friendly if I had to pinpoint one reason.

Jucksalbe

Banned
That reminds me, I have 17 SMT (not counting ports and Fes) games lying around here of which I only ever finished one (Persona 3). I love the series, but somehow I never finish any of these.

Mzo

Coincidentally, I decided to hunker down and finish some of these games like a month ago. I ended up going on an eBay/Amazon spree to complete my collection of every US release of the series, and now I'm swimming in SMT games.

So far the only one I've beaten is P3P, and that took me like 95 hours. What have I done?

Funny, this thread pops up a few days after I started playing Persona 3 FES. First game in the series I've ever played. First SMT related game period. I'm only a few hours in but so far, its pretty interesting.

7threst

Love this thread!!!

Anyway, did somebody here ever playe a Majin Tensei game? If so, how do these games play? The Wiki page mentions similarities in gameplay with Fire Emblem, which sounds really interesting. Is there a possibility we ever get to see a proper Majin Tensei game in the west (or a new one in Japan) or are the Devil Survivor games a bit of a replacement?

I'm still hoping for a fan translation of Majin Tensei even though Aeon Genesis hasn't updated the progress for more than two years.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But... CJ... you're forgetting Eternal Punishment!? D:

What's in you SMT collection? I got late into the series with Persona 3 FES. When I lurked on GAF, I read about the SMT/Persona series and it intrigued me. SInce then Ive tried to collect as much as readily available and playable. Looking at my shelf I have:

Persona 3 FES
Persona 4
SMT Nocturne
Devil Summoner 2
Strange Journey
Devil Survivor and Devil Survivor Overclock
Digital Devil Sage 1 + 2
P3P
Persona 1 PSP
Persona 2 PSP

Pirabear

Banned
Got into SMT in the PS2 era thanks to either Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga (forgot which one I bought first). Picked up every PS2 SMT game except the first Devil Summoner. Might pick up a Vita almost primarily because of Innocent Sin and P4: Golden...
and probably force myself to finish P1 even though it felt like a chore

cj_iwakura

I enjoy Persona 1 PSP, but bear in mind I own the PS1 version and actually finished it(after 90 hours of pain), so I can very much respect how big an improvement the PSP version is.

TheSeks said:
But... CJ... you're forgetting Eternal Punishment!? D:

It's there in spirit. :( No OT to link to, yet. Maybe it'll get a PSN release. It's more likely than a PSP release, and it's sure got a great translation('Lunarvale' references aside). I'd laugh if Atlus put Revelations on the PSN, but that'd hurt their rep too much.

And as for my collection:

Persona 1(PS1/PSP), Persona 2: Innocent Sin(PSP/PS1, I imported it to patch it), Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Nocturne, DemiKids Light & Dark(GBA), Raidou 1 & 2, Devil Summoner(Saturn), Soul Hackers(Saturn), Digital Devil Saga 1&2, Persona 3&FES, Persona 4, Strange Journey, & Devil Survivor.

Kind of wished I own a copy of SMT1, just because of how great it is.

Also, I'd play Majin Tensei if it got fan translated. I've heard varying things; that it's a poor-man's Fire Emblem, and that it's a god-tier Fire Emblem.

cj_iwakura

I disagree, partially. Raidou 2 is a better game, Raidou 1 has a better story.

Definitely play both. Funny about Raidou 1, it was $12.99 until the sequel was announced. No one wanted that game, then the demand went sky high.

See also: 'Revelations' Persona. That game's worth like $100+ now.

Digital Devil Saga added!

Jenga

Banned
kai3345 said:
NUMUCH DAWG JUSS TALKIN BOUT THAT ESS EMM TEE BITCCCCHHHH
AWWW SHIIIIIITTTT MUTHAFUCKA DUS DAT MEAN DEM PER SOHN AH MUTHAFUCKAZ CANT GO ALL WOOP WOOP IN DA SHIT

7threst

I own SMT I & II (JAP SFC), Persona EP, Persona 1 PSP, Persona 2 IS PSP, Raidou I & II, Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Strange Journey, Devil survivor, Digital Devil Saga I & II, Nocturne.

Top Bottom