• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: X-Men Apocalypse - OPEN SPOILERS

Also, Psylocke dressed like THAT while in a concentration camp, for fuck's sake...

I mean, I don't really think her being dressed like that at Auschwitz is that big a gaffe compared to Magneto fucking destroying it.

That still kinda blows my mind. And it was so dramatically inert that people didn't even care.

It wasn't even really a plot point in the movie, was it? Like, it was on a TV in the background and that's it, right?

Slayven

Did you like how Magneto pretty much killed probably millions of people with his magnetic hoo-ha and Charles was totally cool with it, so he got off scott-free?

This is like the third time, but Chuck is always

"oh Magnus, what am I going to do with you?"
*ruffles his hair*

And he wonders why the government is building murderbots.

You can;t be talking about peace while enabling the main reason people are mad at you

On the Charles Xavier scale of evil shit, letting Erik go for the 50th time ain't even register next to his dedicated army of super powered child soldiers.

wandering

Banned
That hilarious kids show style team up combo to defeat the big baddie at the end, with Cyclops looking absolutely useless

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Did you like how Magneto pretty much killed probably millions of people with his magnetic hoo-ha and Charles was totally cool with it, so he got off scott-free?

This drove me up the wall. Not in a CinemaSins har har ding ding way. But like...that's a pretty big oversight in the movie. Magneto lost his shit and almost destroyed continents. And then his final scene in the movie is sharing a laugh with Charles and walking off in a crisp blazer?! Come on. That's fucking ridiculous.

That's why Lawrence and Fassbender being in the next movie has me worried. No way they relegate them to supporting roles. So they'll have some huge unnecessary focus and character arcs, when the films should've already started to develop the new Scott and Jean more.

That hilarious kids show style team up combo to defeat the big baddie at the end, with Cyclops looking absolutely useless

So just like the comics then?

This is up there with Pa Kent's death and "Martha!' in the the DCEU as one of the stupidest moments in comic film history.

The man may well have killed AS MANY PEOPLE AS HITLER and Prof X is like "We cool, bruh! We cool!"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's kinda nuts that two separate X-Men trilogies come into the third movie after a hot second with a good premise and adding a bunch of all stars to the cast and having it turn to shit both times.

Glass Rebel

Zip-Zap was once again the best part of this movie, unlike DofP it was also the only worthwhile thing.

This honestly felt like Singer saying fuck it and just shitting out a movie that combines the worst of his director tendencies with the worst comic book movie tropes. I shit on Snyder's use of CGI but this movie is by far the worst offender in this regard. Halfway through that pointless and self-indulgent VFX fest in the third act I involuntarily let out a huge sigh and the rows in front and behind of us just started laughing.

Also, can't forget the sheer insanity of Magneto destroying Auschwitz while Olivia Munn stands there in a bikini.

Or Havok killing himself.

Or that third movie joke.

I very much doubt that this is the movie Singer wanted to make and it shows.

This drove me up the wall. Not in a CinemaSins har har ding ding way. But like...that's a pretty big oversight in the movie. Magneto lost his shit and almost destroyed continents. And then his final scene in the movie is sharing a laugh with Charles and walking off in a crisp blazer?! Come on. That's fucking ridiculous.

That's why Lawrence and Fassbender being in the next movie has me worried. No way they relegate them to supporting roles. So they'll have some huge unnecessary focus and character arcs, when the films should've already started to develop the new Scott and Jean more.

Oh god J-Law coming back?

snoop.png

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
This is like the third time, but Chuck is always

"oh Magnus, what am I going to do with you?"
*ruffles his hair*

And he wonders why the government is building murderbots.

You can;t be talking about peace while enabling the main reason people are mad at you

Hell, even in Logan -- where shit is completely fucked at that point -- Charles can't stop dishing out silly decisions.

I mean, I guess it's understandable there due to whole dementia thing, but still.

All I remember is the very end where they cut to Psykocke standing up, cut away and then cut back to her looking at them and walking away, of all the baffling things in the movie, this stood out to me the most.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
How did they manage to go from the best X-men movie (DOFP) to one of the worst, considering Apocalypse has:

- most of the same talented cast
- the same director
- one of the best actors of our generation (Oscar Isaac) playing the villain?

How?!

JeTmAn81

I'll watch Dark Phoenix too

Probably not in theaters though, just like this one

Also I was probably more entertained by this than Logan, which I thought was a decent movie but distractingly self serious and overly aware of its R rating.

How did they manage to go from the best X-men movie (DOFP) to one of the worst, considering Apocalypse has:

- the same director

How?!

Script

dankir

Oh and the CGI was awful!! Towards the end of the film where Magneto turns into an electro magnet and starts pulling debris from a shipping port, was the worst I've seen in a big budget film. The Lighting was straight awful. Even the opening scene in 3600 B.C , the city panorama was very poorly done.

A lot of scenes are shot near my home. The bus I take to work into downtown Montreal passes right along side the movie stages where they are filmed. I'll take a pic of the stage they have setup now undoubtedly for the Dark Phoenix film, it's freaking huge.

Slayven

- the same director

How?!

I like Oscar Isaacs, but it was an utter waste of his time. And Fox could have saved themselves some money just stuffing Martin Moll in the costume

- the same director

How?!

-DOFP is overrated as hell. People give it a pass for all the fanservice and for being the first x-men film with the original cast since X-2 not to suck.
- Singer is not and never has been an X-Men fan. His lack of an enthusiasm and respect for fan favorites like Apocalypse just finally showed through.
-As the Star Wars prequels showed, even great actors can only do so much with a crap script

Man God

Non-Canon Member

- the same director

How?!

Best part is you know there are interviews after this movie was announced jokingly asking the director/production staff if this movie is going to be another The Last Stand and them laughing it off. Then they make an even bigger piece of crap.

-DOFP is overrated as hell. People give it a pass for all the fanservice and for being the first x-men film with the original cast since X-2 not to suck.
- Singer is not and never has been an X-Men fan. His lack of an enthusiasm and respect for fan favorites like Apocalypse just finally showed through.
-As the Star Wars prequels showed, even great actors can only do so much with a crap script

- It's clear as day two of the three leads also have 0 desire beyond contractual obligations made almost a decade ago to even be there anymore

Atomic Odin

Charles: "I know you wasted millions of people but imma offering this job which will redeem you"

Best part of the movie.

Nothing bothers me more in the past two mainline films than the JLaw worship

I was rolling my eyes whenever people in this and DoFP metaphorically sucked Mystique's cock every time she was mentioned.

I like Last Stand better than this.

Yeah, at least that one had decent action, a good death scene for prof X (undone as it was by the bullshit twin thing) and of course, the sheer awesomeness that was Kelsey Grammer as Beast.

She's a fine actress but good Lord could she give any less of a shit to be in these anymore now that she's a "serious" actress. It drags the whole movie down considering how much of a focal point she is.

LaNaranja

I just saw it for the first time today on HBO because I bought Logan but figured I should watch this first as it was the only X-Men movie I hadn't seen. Like, I have never liked a single X-Men movie Singer has made but Days of Future Past was at least passable even if it did have glaring plot holes. This movie was just a cobbled together group of scenes and the film didn't seem to know how to balance its characters out. Nothing felt earned and none of the new characters got enough development for me to give the first shit about them making the big climax with Phoenix feel completely unearned. The fuck was Jubilee even there for?

It is even more disappointing because Matthew Vaughn did what seemed to be impossible after X-Men 3 and Origins and actually steered the ship back onto course and gave us the best X-Men movie that was full of fun moments and character development only for them to hand the keys back to Singer to fuck it all up. Apocalypse was on a level of magnitude or two worse than the worst of DC's movies. Outside of that Quicksilver scene nothing in this movie was even fun to watch. Even Batman and Robin works as a comedy and there is entertainment to be had watching it. Apocalypse is just a boring mess.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Last Stand was an unbelievable waste of potential and set up. The promise made at the end of X2 is completely shat on. Absolutely nothing is served well by that movie. All the more depressing when you hear what the original vision was.

I can atleast think of a handful of moments in Apocalypse I got some mild amusement out of.

Oersted

Nothing bothers me more in the past two mainline films than the JLaw worship

I was rolling my eyes whenever people in this and DoFP metaphorically sucked Mystique's cock every time she was mentioned.

Yeah, at least that one had decent action, a good death scene for prof X (undone as it was by the bullshit twin thing) and of course, the sheer awesomeness that was Kelsey Grammer as Beast.

Feels like I'm the only one, but I loved Famke Janssen in Last Stand. New Phoenix( dunno the name of the actress) has yet to be on that level.

Tonguer

I hated this movie. I'm an X-nerd, fanboi, apologist, and I still hated this movie. The thing that I just couldn't seem to get over the amount of destruction... like "oh, I guess we decimated most of the planet, but everything will be normal by the next movie, it's totally fine, no biggie". Apocalypse was a train wreck and looked terrible. So much wasted opportunity. I want to love it and I can't.

I'm not sure what I hate more, this movie... or that I've re-watched this movie several times. I'm a bad person =/

Glass Rebel

In retrospect, the thing that bothers me the most was Singer bringing back Angel just to kill him again.

Now Apocalypse being bad is shitty in its own right but at the end of the day, it's just another crappy X-Men movie and another boring looking Singer movie.

But by killing Archangel he basically killed any chance for one of the more interesting relationships of Remender's Uncanny X-Force run.

So to that I say, fuck you Singer.

We've had a few LTP of Apocalypse at this point at least, so I think I've already talked about the film enough, but here goes...

While I don't think Apocalypse is as bad as everyone says it is, it's still a very disappointment follow-up especially after DOFP. I appreciate that they tried to get other X-Men characters featured in bigger roles, but that still doesn't excuse the sheer lazy storytelling and plot-convinces, and overuse of bored Mystique, happening on the screen.

Wolverine showing up felt like some fan service shit cause it made no sense to me.

But the film just felt flat. Like there was just nothing to it. The characters outside of Professor X, Magento, Quicksilver, and Apocalypse were rather awful.

Even Apocalypse wasn't that good. He was wasted so bad and was so "bwa-ha-ha" evil that I felt so sorry for Isaac. A great actor playing an underdeveloped villain.

Slayven

In retrospect, the thing that bothers me the most was Singer bringing back Angel just to kill him again.

Now Apocalypse being bad is shitty in its own right but at the end of the day, it's just another crappy X-Men movie and another boring looking Singer movie.

But by killing Archangel he basically killed any chance for one of the more interesting relationships of Remender's Uncanny X-Force run.

So to that I say, fuck you Singer.

Worse Horsemen lineup ever, and that says a lot

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Worse Horsemen lineup ever, and that says a lot

Let's see...

Who can I make part of my elite unit of mutant that are able to hand unlimited power, as well as be my most trusted confidants?

Why of course! These random people I just happened to meet on the streets!

Slayven

Let's see...

Who can I make part of my elite unit of mutant that are able to hand unlimited power, as well as be my most trusted confidants?

Why of course! These random people I just happened to meet on the streets!

Not even on the street, Psylocke just happened to be standing in the same room as the dude he wanted to talk to. If she had went to the bathroom 10 seconds earlier she wouldn't even be in the movie. except for that one scene

kswiston

I mean, I don't really think her being dressed like that at Auschwitz is that big a gaffe compared to Magneto fucking destroying it.

That still kinda blows my mind. And it was so dramatically inert that people didn't even care.

It wasn't even really a plot point in the movie, was it? Like, it was on a TV in the background and that's it, right?

I watched Apocalypse in theatres last year and didnt even remember that he destroyed Auschwitz until you brought it up. I still can't picture the scene.

Kayhan

GAF loves to shit on Man of Steel and BvS but this movie is so ULTIMATE SHIT that nobody even really talks about it.

Probably the worst comic book movie in a decade. Makes Suicide Squad look like a masterpiece.

Top Bottom