• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed with Destiny 2 reveal?

I don't take umbrage with the technical details or any of the decisions they are making.

However, the argument seemed to be, "It's more of that!" And as a lapsed fan, that's not a great selling point. Didn't see enough that looked new or like it was shaking things up. Likewise not sold on the writing and story.

Nope. This game was shit on by a vocal minority.

Universally it did very, very well. It has a huge, dedicated, friendly community. D2 is on track to be massive.

You didn't like it, the vocal minority on gaf didn't like it, but the world loved it. you should accept that.

Point taken.

Still, wanted the reveal to show something I am interested in. Found out it looks the same. No longer interested.

As someone who played the first one for far too long, I'm actually pretty happy with what we've been shown. I wanted more of what we liked from D1, with less of what we didn't like, and further improvements. D1 had a lot of good in it, and I don't want them to change it so much that it would play like an entirely different game. Fix the issues, improve upon it, but keep core destiny the same, a lot of us poured hundreds if not thousands of hours into it for a reason.

gafneo

Banned
The game itself will be good old Destiny. Disappointed by the mute looking colors they keep using. Art looks like an indie art house project.

LKSmash

I was hoping for a new class and to bump up to 4s for Strikes/Patrols but def not disappointed. Not every game is for everyone. Spend your money elsewhere.

vivekTO

Dude, c'mon, I'm entitled to my opinions.

You can't deny this. This game was universally shit on

First of all does the comment making any sense, your opinion is that, the game is universally shit on and I can't deny this, because opinion don't matter in this case , Right??

I was highlighting your "No reason" thing. there was a reason , There are tons of active threads going on Neogaf where you could have got your answer, and if still you are not satisfied, you can wait for other reveal events Like E3. Obviously there will be ton of news blowout in upcoming months.

Meatfist

The actual content and gameplay looks fine to me, but as someone who is going to pick this up on PC it's been a fucking rollercoaster of emotions.

YAY, Battle.net!
YAY, 4K and unlocked FPS!
BOO, released at a later date!
BOOOOO, no dedicated servers!

13ruce

Banned
Still looks nothing like the see that you can go there approach. Wich is a shame and why i skip the game or it needs to make the story way better and atleast on par with Halo.

Nokterian

From what i have seen even the raw gameplay, i am not impressed. Also even on PC it will have Peer 2 Peer no dedicated servers. In this day and age you cannot do this even for a AAA game and yet going the cheap way for even multiplayer.

UberLevi

Only because the PC release is going to be delayed, but everything else was exactly what I could have hoped for. Destiny 2 seems like a game for Destiny fans, which is what it should be but if you're not convinced I don't know what to tell you other than try it. I'm personally pretty hyped.

Kssio_Aug

I think it's a bit early to tell anything. It didn't surprise me, but I need to see the scope of the game in a decent gameplay analysis. Also, I want to see high quality footage... twitch streams are not that good to analyze the graphical improvements.

What I really wanted though is a matchmaking system. It seems that with that system you can join a Clan things can be quite better, which is interesting... I may buy the game again if it really improves the experience.

I have bought Destiny 1 cause everyone said that it would be easy to find people to play with over the internet or here in NeoGaf, the reality though was that I may have spent half of my playtime till the end of the game and Taken King, just sitting in the hub area sending random invites to people in the game, opening threads on Reddit asking for help and trying to find somene available to play with me in Destiny's OT. I won't submit myself to this again.

DrZeus

Not really. I've owned the taken king expansion for what seems years now and have no real care to go back and complete it. The shooting mechanics are great and the lore is decent. It's something about the game being sort of a shooting gallery because of the mmo aspects that has never grabbed me for long. The reveal didn't do much to change that. I'll grab it when it is like <$20 with the expansions like I did destiny 1.

BigPapi

I feel sorry for console players 30 fps campaign is one thing but 30 fps 4v4 crucible is sad for a modern AAA shooter. Personally the reveal was very underwhelming. I believe that this was just planned as another expansion for D1 but decided to make it standalone.

The level 20 cap seems lame AF to me. Why cap it like that? Is it so you have to buy DLC to increase the cap? I didn't play the first Destiny but I remember being turned off by a low level cap for the D1. Was it the same?

MrS

Banned
I liked it but I can understand why others didn't. It seemed to me that the reveal was more aimed at that players who loved D1 than at attracting and winning over new people, honestly. It looks like a more refined Destiny experience that doesn't stray too far from what they accomplished with D1 and I'm ok with that. Just don't make me wait too long for the raid.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lol how many threads like this are we going to get? One was literally just locked.

until we have more than there are random switch threads

so never
Nope. This game was shit on by a vocal minority.

Universally it did very, very well. It has a huge, dedicated, friendly community. D2 is on track to be massive.

You didn't like it, the vocal minority on gaf didn't like it, but the world loved it. you should accept that.

its got a 76 on metacritic. the world didnt love it.

Zakalwe

Banned
D2 was never going to be a huge deviation from the original, nothing was broke. All D2 needed was:

Better visuals
Larger areas with more stuff to do
Party up system (Guided Games)
And then just more stuff in general.

The only thing that needed fixing was a lack of content and social tools. If we take their word for it they've fixed these things, but of course we've been fooled before.

Time will tell, but so far it looks very positive.

Peroroncino

It was definitely underwhelming and the stream was too long, without meaningful content to back its lenght imo.

I also don't like the whole 'you lost' approach, ok, we lost, but why do I have to lose literally everything in the process? Additionally, what's to stop them from doing it again with Destiny 3? 'Oh shit, you lost again mate, better start grinding, yet again'.

jett

D-Member
It's what I expected, it's the 2017 Expansion of Destiny. There's only so much they can do in the two (at best?) years they've had of development. I think the biggest disappointment is that it's still 30fps.

That's a pass for me though. It looks like the same ol' Destiny experience, and I got my 200 hours out of it during the first year, and that was good enough for me.

Poster#1

The level 20 cap seems lame AF too me. Why cap it like that? Is it so you have to buy DLC to increase the cap? I didn't play the first Destiny but I remember being turned off by a low level cap for the D1. Was it the same?
D1 expansions raised the lvl cap. Maybe they are doing the same thing.

Mikey Jr.

Yes, I am. There was a great post back in the reveal thread that I want to find and post here.

edit: Here

There's a valid argument that at a glance the game is roughly the same as the original. In a world where people expect considerable graphical improvements or slight improvements coupled with gameplay overhauls Destiny 2 isn't impressive to some people. Destiny 2 is launching on hardware D1 launched on and the gameplay is pretty much the same so it's easy for me to see that. At a glance a casual fan will easily mistake D2 gameplay footage as a D1 expansion.

While I like the new planets, other additions and changes Bungie's making I can't but feel a little disappointed. If they're going to be ballsy enough to call it Destiny 2 there should've been more to it than the game simply being more of the original. Yes the game looks slightly better than the original but it doesn't stand out that much in YouTube video on my PC monitor. (Maybe it will at home running in real time on my own TV? Can't tell yet.) And virtually all of the gameplay shown isn't far from the original and it's expansions. Yes, when you boil it down to a list of bullet points the changes and new stuff amount to more than the previous expansions combined but that just means this is could be considered a huge expansion.

Quite frankly, I was expecting big changes. Stuff you would expect in a big sequel like changes to playspace structure (such as jumping from confined zones to an open world map), removing Strikes and replacing them with bigger and better adventures, losing the spam-tier bosses that dominate Strikes, improvement of vehicular gameplay, reinvention of the subclasses, new elemental categories beyond the original 3, etc. That's what I expected when they announced Destiny 2. Now I don't hate what they've shown so far. I can appreciate the QoL improvements, new enemies, and weapon types. I just hope that they have more for us.

And I wouldn't give too much shit to people complaining about architecture. There's all kinds of human architecture today in real life but Destiny 2 seems to carry over the same Vex, Hive and Cabal-style structures from the original. It's a little boring and doesn't help the game stand out. Along with their habit of recycling content during D1's life, the returning architecture styles are probably another reason why they keep emphasizing that these are new planets and zones.

The level 20 cap seems lame AF too me. Why cap it like that? Is it so you have to buy DLC to increase the cap? I didn't play the first Destiny but I remember being turned off by a low level cap for the D1. Was it the same?

The level cap was always separate from the light level/gearscore cap, which is more important. Level cap only gated you out of certain equipment.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
As someone who bought the first game, realized I wasted my money and never returned to it after trading it in, I was definitely hoping that this would be more of an AC1 to AC2 type of evolution. Instead it looks more like a DLC pack for the first game.

So yeah, disappointed. I was definitely interested in a sequel, but after yesterday's reveal I can safely say I'll have more room to play other games this Fall that I care way more about.

QFT.

My exact sentiments, word for word.

I was even willing to give them a pass knowing it was gonna look like more of an expansion (I have no faith in them value/content wise after D1) than anything IF they hit 60FPS.

But hey, thanks for making room for the backlog.

Nope, the story campaign looks 1000x better than the first game and the different worlds with incredible art design has me on board. I never expected the gameplay to be massively different.

I don't think i'm disappointed, but i was for sure not impressed. I expected more from them, but yeah, looks like some big expansion.

Hope they'll show more at E3.

Same for me.

I guess with this whole reveal of Light getting taken away from the guardians it would give them a reasonable excuse to have completely new classes instead of Titan/Hunter/Warlock once their Light returned. Nope, just some new abilities on the same old classes. I was definitely getting expansion vibes from it. It looked great, but still felt like a major DLC add-on.

Zakalwe

Banned
It was definitely underwhelming and the stream was too long, without meaningful content to back its lenght imo.

I also don't like the whole 'you lost' approach, ok, we lost, but why do I have to lose literally everything in the process? Additionally, what's to stop them from doing it again with Destiny 3? 'Oh shit, you lost again mate, better start grinding, yet again'.

Even if they didn't do the "you lost it all" storyline, you would still have to grind.

This game is all about grind, if you don't like that kind of game maybe the MMO style isn't for you.

D1 expansions raised the lvl cap. Maybe they are doing the same thing.

The level cap was always separate from the light level/gearscore cap, which is more important. Level cap only gated you out of certain equipment.

Hmmm, seems a bit confusing from the outside looking in. I'll be jumping in on this one though. The cross-gen support of D1 prevented me from taking it seriously. This one looks amazing.

As someone who didn't care for the original, it didn't exactly change my mind.

I'm always open to give it another try if impressions at launch are good, though.

BlakeofT

I don't know what people were expecting when claiming that it doesn't look like a sequel. Perhaps a completely different game... A racing game? Puzzler? Maybe a dating sim? And then there are people who are upset by the changes, the very things that only make sense for a sequel.

I'm personally happy with all the new info and changes. Can't wait.

Seems like a reveal aimed at fans.

For someone on the outside, it's fairly easy for me to write off the game based on what was shown (or wasn't).
I'm a fan who has hundreds of hours in the game, but I was a bit underwhelmed. The 4v4 stuff really turned me off too.

-NeoTB1-

Eh, I kinda agree with the Destiny 1.5 comments I've seen here and there. It could have been better, but I am 100% on board with the new features and content. I'm glad we are starting fresh with our characters, too.

jond76

Banned
I was hoping for a little bit on expanded exploration. My hope was for a return to the "you can go there" promise of that first reveal.

Is there any indication of that? I only saw the tower under attack sequence.

Nah...I'm in.

Me and my wife couldn't be more excited. Trying to get into FF14 and I just wish it was Destiny instead.

Now with the sequel, looks like it's finally expanding into more of an MMO with a lot to do. Couldn't be happier.

With my Switch I realize how obsessed we can get over graphics and how it's just about having a good time with the controller in your hands. I would have loved 60fps but that's my only real gripe with the presentation,so much left to see too.

Yoday

I wasn't impressed at all, it looked like a major expansion more than a sequel. They finally had the opportunity to expand upon what they had made, and it seems largely the same. I'm still somewhat interested, but most of my complaints are around content, and we won't have an answer to that until after launch. The amount of content in Destiny was downright abysmal, and I simply can't trust them to do better until I see proof of improvements. I loved the gameplay of Destiny, and I want to come back, but I'm sure as hell not going to give them the benefit of the doubt after the first game.

Also, the story based on their description sounds more like a side story or spin off rather than the next arc in the overall Destiny story. It feels more like a story we would have gotten from an expansion, not a sequel.

Focusing on actually providing a good campaign from the start and adding more to crucible were my main wishes so I cant complain, well maybe a little about crucible but we will see.. Anyone who thought Bungie was going to go 60fps had their head in the clouds.

I was hoping for a little bit on expanded exploration. My hope was for a return to the "you can go there" promise of that first reveal.

Is there any indication of that? I only saw the tower under attack sequence.

They actually expanded on exploration quite a bit. The worlds are much bigger and there's more to do within them. Some of the most notable additions are treasure hunts and dungeon-like hidden areas.

Wonko_C

I hoped this could be their chance to deliver on their failed promises from Destiny 1 ("if you can see it, you can go there" and all the other stuff) but I realistically expected them to rehash Destiny 1 anyway. So in the end I'm apathetic to the whole thing.

Lucifon

Very. All signs pointed to the game being a substantial improvement from the first. But from the reveal all signs point to the opposite. If the footage was for an expansion nobody would bat an eyelid.

That said I did enjoy the core of destiny it was just content bare. I know I'll enjoy 2, I think I just expected a lot more.

Looks like a good balance between new and familiar. It's not Destiny 1 nor an expansion, but you can't mistake it for another game. It's Destiny. If you expect something completely different then you don't know what the meaning of a sequel is.

Top Bottom