• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XV update April 27- Pro features, new weapons, hunt ranking systems

The gift that keeps on giving. I just hope we get a Luna episode sometime. I need to see how they can use that lost potential somehow. They probably won't redeem it at all.

benzy

Oh, see the reason I don't ever use High Quality mode is because the framerate just feels unstable. Perhaps what i'm seeing as FPS drops is simply bad frame pacing.

But the game just looks and runs so much better in Lite mode now that I dont see the point in subjecting myself to High mode.

High mode framerate is stable 30. The jutters you see are bad framepacing issues.

Socivol

Oh, see the reason I don't ever use High Quality mode is because the framerate just feels unstable. Perhaps what i'm seeing as FPS drops is simply bad frame pacing.

But the game just looks and runs so much better in Lite mode now that I dont see the point in subjecting myself to High mode.

This is exactly what's happening. The frame pacing issue looks like frame drops but it's not. So it's not just a GAF centric issue now that you understand it yourself.

Pro updates.

ba873f06e3532c5c972e6f1b7935e1b3.jpg

this!

:D

LordKasual

Banned
This is exactly what's happening. The frame pacing issue looks like frame drops but it's not. So it's not just a GAF centric issue now that you understand it yourself.

High mode framerate is stable 30. The jutters you see are bad framepacing issues.

Oh. Well, the frame pacing issues in High mode are hideous then.

....but even if it looked like it ran at a smooth 30, i would never use it over the current Lite mode lol.

That's exactly it. Despite the game actually generating 30 unique frames per second in high quality mode, it doesn't do it at a consistent enough pace, so it ends up looking jittery.

Just for an example, a 10 frame snippet would look like this for a locked 30fps game without frame pacing issues (1= unique frame, 0= identical frame)

Something with frame pacing issues could be like this

Still the same number of ones and zeros, but a a different spacing, and hence the movement does not look smooth. Ends up feeling like a framerate drop.

Yeah, i remember digital foundry's explanation of the problem. It's just indistinguishable to frame dropping to me. In fact with that explanation it might as well be the same thing.

farisr

That's exactly it. Despite the game actually generating 30 unique frames per second in high quality mode, it doesn't do it at a consistent enough pace, so it ends up looking jittery.

Just for an example, a 10 frame snippet would look like this for a locked 30fps game without frame pacing issues (1= unique frame, 0= identical frame)

Something with frame pacing issues could be like this

Still the same number of ones and zeros, but a a different spacing, and hence the movement does not look smooth. Ends up feeling like a framerate drop.

Dmax3901

Hope it gives us the options to lock the framerate or abolishes the frame pacing.

Might actually get me to check out the DLC if so.

Toth

The problem is that the last update was a disaster for Pro owners and for those sensitive to frame rate issues, made the game almost unplayable.

But I played the game through twice on the Pro, once in High mode and once in Lite mode. The game was FAR from unplayable.

Max_Po

Banned
But I played the game through twice on the Pro, once in High mode and once in Lite mode. The game was FAR from unplayable.

I bet he has not played the game and is just thread shitting after hearing the infamous frame pacing issues....

My day 1 copy is still sealed.

If I learned anything for over 4 months now is that talking about that shit will get nowhere idk what frame pacing is and I prefer to stay ignorant if it's so unplayable when noticed. I haven't seen a single person budge on that who seems to notice so it's not even worth it

ZeoVGM

Banned
I understand what you are saying but I also do not understand how these inconsistent frame problems made the game 'unplayable'.

Because some people are very sensitive to frame rate issues.

For example, I don't notice the issue in Mario Kart 8 for Wii U but for others, it's very bad.

For me, FFXV hurts my eyes if I play for too long.

LordKasual

Banned

If you're looking for logical reasons for the extreme things people say about XV here, then you're barking up the wrong tree lol

With how "sensitive" people are to frame issues ruining their games, i don't see how so many people in these XV threads made it out of PSX/N64 era without quitting gaming entirely

ZeoVGM

Banned
I bet he has not played the game and is just thread shitting after hearing the infamous frame pacing issues....

My day 1 copy is still sealed.

Would you like a screen shot of my trophy list or would you like to pretend this didn't happen and not be embarrassed because you felt the need to blindly defend a video game you admittedly haven't played yourself?

RedAssedApe

Banned
lol...decision to start persona 5 instead of this worked out i guess

another launch day owner here. i at least installed and played the combat tutorial though ;)

ZeoVGM

Banned
With how "sensitive" people are to frame issues ruining their games, i don't see how so many people in these XV threads made it out of PSX/N64 era without quitting gaming entirely

Many N64 games made me sick actually and I couldn't play first person shooters at all until 360.

It's great that it doesn't bother you. Do a little research on the topic before assuming people are out to get your game. I literally bought a Pro because of the XV patch that was announced.

I am enjoying the game and play with HDR turned on, but I really wish they would auto hide the UI as the big white life bars are pretty glaring when you have HDR turned on.

My tv's color temperature is set to warm, but the hud (especially the life bars) just feel big and obtuse.

The game is also really hard to play without the useful stats and feedback during battle. And so completely turning the HUD off makes for more frustrating battle scenarios.

LordKasual

Banned
Many N64 games made me sick actually and I couldn't play first person shooters at all until 360.

It's great that it doesn't bother you. Do a little research on the topic before assuming people are out to get your game. I literally bought a Pro because of the XV patch that was announced.

I mean, i'm sorry, but my comment still stands. You aren't the only one to call the game unplayable for the same reason.

but again i'm probably a little different in the way i perceive some of these issues, so perhaps nausea is more common than i've been led to believe when subjected to frame pacing

doesn't bother me either way. I just like to ask questions, that's all.

Geg

Interested in whatever the new radio music is.

I should really just do a full replay, I haven't even played with the Nier tracks they added last time

ZeoVGM

Banned
I mean, i'm sorry, but my comment still stands. You aren't the only one to call the game unplayable for the same reason.

but again i'm probably a little different in the way i perceive some of these issues, so perhaps nausea is more common than i've been led to believe when subjected to frame pacing

I'm not sure how your comment still stands if in the next paragraph you admit you might not be fully versed on the issue.

FFXV doesn't make me nauseous. It just hurts my eyes. The frame pacing is an unacceptable design flaw and the fact that the smoother mode was ruined with the Pro patch without keeping the original as an option was also unacceptable.

I don't understand why people jump to the defense of games like this. No one has it out for the game. Many people just want a game to be released without needing patches to fix issues 6 months later.

There's nothing wrong with being frustrated about that.

Alric

Did you also wait for the Witcher 3's complete edition before starting playing.

I got it free with my NVIDIA card. I put 100+ hours into it but never got the DLC and played it. Mostly because I was worn out at that point. So, I do wish I waited because then I might of played from what I heard was a really great final DLC. Maybe one day years down the road I will, but with games like these, i'd prefer to play it all in one long go.

Ploid 3.0

SE has said this is a new model they are trying out with FF XV: extending the life of a game for at least a year after release. Aside from the Pro fixes, the whole timed hunts are a great excuse to come back every week or so and try them out. They just need to be a bit harder than what they have tried so far.

I hope it's successful. Having content spread over time after the launch would be very interesting to me. I wouldn't even mind a loot crate system like Overwatch for cosmetics if it gives them support for this type of thing (I enjoyed how Dragon Age Inquisition handled their MP and the loot crate system. Now the long wait for DA4MP). Now, which of SE's RPGs can facilitate online co op and this type of support (not MMORPG subscription based, more anything else or Souls games). Eventually there could end up being a PC version. They sure have been buttering us up for something.

LordKasual

Banned
I'm not sure how your comment still stands if in the next paragraph you admit you might not be fully versed on the issue.

FFXV doesn't make me nauseous. It just hurts my eyes. The frame pacing is an unacceptable design flaw and the fact that the smoother mode was ruined with the Pro patch without keeping the original as an option was also unacceptable.

I don't understand why people jump to the defense of games like this. No one has it out for the game. Many people just want a game to be released without needing patches to fix issues 6 months later.

There's nothing wrong with being frustrated about that.

well....i mean, be frustrated about it, nobody is stopping you. I just wonder what makes people say the things they say.

which is why I asked for clarification on what frame pacing looks like to others. I got an answer. I learned something -- it's virtually indistinguishable from frame dips to me, something i still learned to more or less ignore well over a decade ago.

you dont know why people jump to the defense of these issues anymore than i know why people are compelled to be so offensive about them

Mario007

I got it free with my NVIDIA card. I put 100+ hours into it but never got the DLC and played it. Mostly because I was worn out at that point. So, I do wish I waited because then I might of played from what I heard was a really great final DLC. Maybe one day years down the road I will, but with games like these, i'd prefer to play it all in one long go.

I was mostly talking about 3 or 4 months of updates (and updates with each DLC) that helped with quality of life things like the UI as well as performance issues (which again is what this FFXV update is all about).

Top Bottom