• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon just refunded me without returning a CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So recently I ordered a couple things on Amazon, and after they arrived I decided to compare the prices on the CDs I ordered in case they didn't drop in price (cheap ass of the year here). One of the CDs had some used stock, and was $7 less than what I had paid for mine. So I decided to go through the returns claim so I can make another order with the cheaper CD. After filing my reason with amazon on why I wanted to return it, they said "Keep this item and recieve a refund". Wow, too good to be true. But I guess it would be more than it's worth to refund an $11 CD? Still, extremely cool business decision, I wonder how often they do this.

Also feel free to rip on my music taste. I have no shame.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So recently I ordered a couple things on Amazon, and after they arrived I decided to compare the prices on the CDs I ordered in case they didn't drop in price (cheap ass of the year here). One of the CDs had some used stock, and was $7 less than what I had paid for mine. So I decided to go through the returns claim so I can make another order with the cheaper CD. After filing my reason with amazon on why I wanted to return it, they said "Keep this item and recieve a refund". Wow, too good to be true. But I guess it would be more than it's worth to refund an $11 CD? Still, extremely cool business decision, I wonder how often they do this.

Do you want to shop at Amazon in the future?

LordCanti

A lot of companies will just tell you to keep small goods because the cost of shipping them back and then selling them used (or having to return to the manufacturer if defective) is more hassle and money than it is worth.

I've seen this with iPhone cases, cheap earbuds, etc.

For defective merchandise specifically, part of me wonders if Amazon doesn't just have an agreement with their distribution chain that basically says Amazon can file a defective claim without the item needing to be shipped back (if it's under a certain amount). Either way, yeah, it's good customer service, and it doesn't hurt their bottom line.

This happened to me once (with a damaged DVD boxset) and I've been a very grateful customer ever since. It's a good solution for everyone involved.

Ploid 3.0

They are making you loyal. It's awesome, they are good at doing this. I'm owned by amazon because of their customer service. I have no fear buying from them.

Their customer service is shit. I have just been through a protracted battle with them over a period of months in order to get a refund/replacement of a defective mobile they shipped to my dad with an inherent fault. After escalating to the office of the chief executive I kept getting nonsensical emails rejecting my case from a guy with an eastern European sounding name with atrocious spelling and grammar. I couldn't believe a company that large would allow comms to go out to a customer in that manner. I would not recommend them at all and I have actually just reported them to Trading Standards and Consumer Direct for flouting the terms of the UK Sales of Goods Act.

Glad you US dudes get the opposite service than I do.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Cost of shipping.

I got a bent 5$ thin book for free because they shipped it stupidly in bubble wrap which was bound to bend. Not just bend, tore some of the cover too.

Ashhong

That CD is fucking amazing. One of my favorite pop albums. I still listen to it every once in a while.

My own story: I had to exchange an SSD that I bought from Amazon, and when I called them I requested that they send me the new one first because I needed it, and they did it no questions asked. I'm supposed to return the previous one but I keep forgetting and I see no charge on my card for the second one. I'll get around to returning it soon, but I'm surprised they haven't charged me or emailed me to return the old one.

Darryl

Banned
They've done this stuff to me countless times. They aren't afraid to just refund you or overnight something.

FyreWulff

Monoprice did the same thing for me. Ordered a bunch of misc cables, the single RCA cable didn't work. Notified them, they sent me a new RCA cable within 2 days, didn't even ask for the old one back.

LiK

it's more of trying to be nice to new or loyal customers. do it too often and expect that "perk" to be taken away.

Chili

Yeah, I've found the same in UK....Although the support is from fucking Ireland and India.

Their UK support has been perfect for me. Hundreds of orders, exemplary service whenever there has been a problem. I never buy anything from anywhere else now. Even if it's more expensive on Amazon, I'll still get it from there.

Amazon CS is amazing. Never had an issue here in the UK.

They even knocked off £100 my WiiU pre-order, as they did many other GAFers. Legends.

Yeah, they did the same for me recently for € 9.90 item.
But I order stuff almost on a weekly basis (incl. food and such).

Chili

My story (just one of them - there's been a few). Ordered a pair of headphones (£100-ish), broke after a year. Amazon sent a new pair out immediately (said I could return the old pair later) - those broke again after a year. Amazon said they can't send me any more relating to this order as it could be an inherent fault but will give me a full refund and I can buy another pair. They weren't in stock any more so I bought another, more expensive pair and Amazon refunded me the difference in price (I think it was about £30) on top of the original headphones without me even asking or wanting it.

I bought a 50 inch 3D plasma TV from them in their Black Friday sale last year. It arrived and then three days later there was a knock on the door and the delivery guy was there with a second TV.

I called them up to explain the mistake and they sent a courier to collect the second TV. However, they then proceed to refund me for the TV with additional money for shipping!

Amazon is nuts sometimes.

sphinx

the piano man
Amazon custome service is NUTS, really crazy.

I once bought some games, they were taking a bit longer to arrive and I wrote an email just asking if they had some info about them, whether they got lost or were sent to a wrong address.

I immeditately got a mail saying "here, have a refund and keep the games if they arrive"

what the hell.....

surly

Banned
I've only had good experiences with Amazon's customer support here in the UK. That's why I continue using them. I just looked at my account and I've placed 38 orders with them this year so far.

There was one time I thought they were going to let me down. I bought a router from them and after about 4 months it developed a fault. I contacted them about it and they said that I would need to contact the manufacturer as I was outside the return window. I replied to say that they were responsible under the Sale of Goods Act and a few hours later they emailed me and apologised and they replaced the router with a brand new one.

Kubisa

Neo Member
UK-GAF Amazon Defense Force reporting in.

Two years ago ordered a Samsung Montitor for my computer. Apparently someone had signed for it but we never had it delivered. Not sure if someone else signed for it and stole it or whatever. However after waiting for a month because I'm a patient bastard, contacted their customer service, explained the situtation and they just send out another one. They didn't check anything or ask any more details.

May have been because of the heavy (read: light for anyone outside of england) that my delivery never made it, but they fixed it with no problems at all.

Exceptional service right there.

UK-GAF Amazon Defense Force reporting in.

Two years ago ordered a Samsung Montitor for my computer. Apparently someone had signed for it but we never had it delivered. Not sure if someone else signed for it and stole it or whatever. However after waiting for a month because I'm a patient bastard, contacted their customer service, explained the situtation and they just send out another one. They didn't check anything or ask any more details.

May have been because of the heavy (read: light for anyone outside of england) that my delivery never made it, but they fixed it with no problems at all.

Exceptional service right there.

Huh? English please. Still can't make sense of this. I think you missed a word. Snow?

A lot of companies will just tell you to keep small goods because the cost of shipping them back and then selling them used (or having to return to the manufacturer if defective) is more hassle and money than it is worth.

I've seen this with iPhone cases, cheap earbuds, etc.

For defective merchandise specifically, part of me wonders if Amazon doesn't just have an agreement with their distribution chain that basically says Amazon can file a defective claim without the item needing to be shipped back (if it's under a certain amount). Either way, yeah, it's good customer service, and it doesn't hurt their bottom line.

Yeah, at a previous employer it was encouraged to just refund anything under $100 rather than take a return on it. Sight unseen.

We were b2b and didn't deal with the general public though.

Amazon has been amazing to me aswell. I've been in 2 situations where orders I've made werent being delivered within the time period specified on my Amazon account through no fault of Amazon, they were sent out on time. It was either UPS or Australia Post (likely Australia Post) that probably kept my shit for like 3-4 months in their warehouse or something. I told Amazon and they sent me replacements.

My shit turns up 3-4 months later and I tell Amazon that the original orders arrived and I'm willing to return it. They reply that it would probably be too expensive for me and to keep it. This happened one time with Book Depository aswell. Ended up getting 2 copies of a book all because of the delivery companies fuckup.

Now I pretty much just wait it out knowing that my stuff will likely turn up regardless of how ridiculously long it takes. I just feel bad making Amazon pay for what isnt their fault.

Edit: Actually 3 times. First time my stuff was delivered to the wrong guy and he kindly delivered it to me about 4 months later.

Last week I preordered ZOEHD and paid 10 bucks for 1 day shipping. Unfortunately the shipment was delayed (probably due to Hurricane Sandy) and the item didn't ship until a day after release. The new shipment date was this Monday, so I chatted with a support rep to get a refund for the 1 day shipping.

The rep refunded the shipping and the package arrived earlier than expected. Amazon is a pretty great place to shop

Sears also has an under $15 policy for online orders. Them contacting ups to request a return label costs more than the product. I think most if not all online retailers have this for orders under or around $10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom