• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks to Wario64 for the initial thread.

We are about the hit the forum cap on the last thread, so we are starting a new thread, starting with this major finding.

Update 4:

Nintendo Everything said:
There seems to be a bit of confusion about when Nintendo’s last conference took place and what information was shared at the event. While the news below looks very legitimation, take the details with a grain of salt for now. Only one source has provided details from the conference so far, so it’s difficult to confirm that everything is completely accurate.

- No Kid Icarus: Uprising until after summer
- Nintendo interesting is adding more platforms to the eShop in addition to Game Boy/Game Boy Color
- Excitebike (3D Classic) apparently will be offered in Japan for free
- Nintendo still working on Wii Vitality Sensor
- Challenge with the sensor is that its easy to make it work for 80% of people, but difficult to make to make it work for 99%
- Nintendo needs other companies to succeed on the 3DS
- Nintendo still planning their own titles around third-party games
- Made decision on Wii successor announcement because of logistics for getting people to E3
- Nintendo still wants a surprise at E3 with their new console
- Iwata admitted that Nintendo has relied to much on its own, won’t do everything on their own from here on out
- Expect to see something about the above at E3
- Iwata: 3DS not meeting expectations following second week of sales
- Iwata believes the earthquake in Japan had an impact on sales, but isn’t the only factor
- European/US sales lower than expected
- Nintendo “need to make efforts” to improve sales
- Pokemon Black/White has sold more than previous versions globally in the same time frame
- More talk of Nintendo saying that Project Cafe is a new concept/structure for a console
- Nintendo will still be pushing the Wii
- Nintendo releasing one Wii title every month to push the console’s performance
- Nintendo realizes they must provide incentive for people to use StreetPass/system updates
- Because of this, free content such as classic games will be offered
- Nintendo feels that gaming is better with buttons, so you won’t see a machine without them
- Nintendo will accommodate social networking services in games, but won’t see Nintendo games on non-Nintendo hardware
Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/63968/

Update 3:

wii2r7db.png

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110425_4e.pdf

Thanks sprsk and Lupin the Wolf!

-----------

Update 2:

There's another Cafe picture on Nintendo's developer support website: https://www.warioworld.com/images/splash/cafe_high.jpg

cafe_high4mja.jpg

-----------

Update 1:

-Tentative release date of June 2012.
-Controller screen resolution of 800x500.
-Can play games, watch movies, and more without turning on the TV by just streaming them to the controllers. Can stream to multiple controllers at once.
-Each controller acts a terminal, with the console doing all of the calculations to reduce latency, controller cost, and bandwidth requirements.

antonz said:
They mention It is a 16:9 Screen that is 6" and has an unusual resolution thats in the 800x500 range which is less than 720P and currently it is single touch. Tentative date for launch told to developers is June 2012 and that design decisions can change between now and then.

Worth mentioning as I pointed out in the old thread. Many GPS devices use a 6" Touchscreen that is 800x480 resolution. Good be a very good candidate for screen type.
antonz said:
Nirolak said:
Is the part where they say you can play games without using a TV an accurate translation?
They do suggest that is supposed to be a big feature of the system. The ability to stream across multiple controllers different media and games.
antonz said:
PantherLotus said:
Weird, I'm looking up 6" GPS screens and they're calling 800x480 "high definition."
Yep alot of these smaller screens get called HD which would explain why there was confusion early on when one source said HD.
A full translation of the article is provided here by Hugh Buelow: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27376305&postcount=424

-----------

A Project Cafe header has been found on Nintendo's developer support website by Kard8p3: https://www.warioworld.com/images/cafe/cafe_header.jpg

In case it gets taken down, it is archived here:

EpbJ8.jpg

The first website to call out the Project Cafe name was 01net. Here are the rumors they posted:

gofreak said:
Controller
- 6" touchscreen, not HD, not multitouch
- D-Pad, L, R, two triggers, others
- 'Front-facing camera'
- A sensor roughly analagous to the Wii sensor bar is incorporated in the controller - i.e. some kind of IR beacons/transmitters. Purpose isn't clear.

Specs
- Custom triple-core PowerPC
- AMD/ATI GPU. 'Probably' derived from R700 series.
- RAM unknown
- Developer quotes: graphics capabilities "roughly equal to those of the Xbox 360", performance "over the Xbox 360, but just a notch"

Misc
- One other 'huge surprise' about the system

Taken from:

http://www.01net.com/editorial/5316...2-de-nintendo-aura-une-tablette-pour-manette/

http://www.01net.com/editorial/531680/project-cafe-ce-qui-reste-a-eclaircir-a-propos-de-la-wii-2/
Andrex said:
Seems like mostly:

- Sensor bar being built into the controller is a mistranslation. It seems there will be one very similar to the Wii.
- Backwards compatibility is completely unconfirmed, but the site speculates it will be possible because of the similar architecture.
- Blu-ray is not confirmed and hasn't been brought up by their sources, which seems odd to me as that is kind of a big point to notice.
- Just a "notch above Xbox 360" and not "significantly more powerful" as reported by IGN.
antonz said:
Update 10 is the problem. CVG is writing that the french site confirms GPU and Ram and lists specs. The reality is the french site says:
RAM: unknown. It would be logical that it is a unified RAM, like the 360, with a minimum of 512 MB
GPU:
Graphics processor: AMD (ATI) - probably a series R700, with a shader (for managing the effects) more recent than the Xbox 360 (probably version 4.1).
CVG takes speculation and is reporting it as fact. We really have no clue of any specs

01net has also released a new rumor stating that this mock-up is the closest to the correct controller design:

1303503627-01net-cafe-d93r.jpg

Source: http://www.01net.com/editorial/5319...es-precisions-sur-la-manette-et-le-streaming/

IGN's rumors greatly mirror 01net's, but have one or two notable differences. Their rumors came out simultaneously with 01net's as well, some even originating first, suggesting that the rumors originated independently. Here are the rumors they posted:

IGN said:
More details of Nintendo's forthcoming console, codenamed Project Cafe aka Wii 2, have been revealed to IGN, including the system's estimated pricing, release, console design, processing architecture, and name.

According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400 based on manufacturing costs, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November.

However, Nintendo could also opt to build up a sizable supply of the system and allocate more time for software and games development by launching in early 2012. Similarly, Nintendo could attempt to lower the retail price of the system with lower profit margins to make the price more alluring.

Since the manufacturing is taking place in Taiwan, the earthquakes and tsunami that hit Japan last month will not impact the console hardware as previously expected.

Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.

In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

As reported last week, it will indeed utilize controllers with integrated touchscreens and be capable of streaming games to each controller, though given the power of the system, could also feasibly provide a virtualized console for each individual unit.

Finally, Nintendo is considering naming the console Stream, though it is potentially one of several names currently being vetted by the company.

We contacted Nintendo representatives, but they declined to comment on "rumors or speculation."

For more on Project Cafe, stay tuned to IGN.com.
Source: http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1163325p1.html

The main disagreements seem to about the power level of the unit, which is not surprising, as developers will often rate hardware differently. We saw lots of evidence of this with the NGP, where developers argued whether it was weaker or more powerful than the PS3.

Finally, other rumors from credible sites include include:

-There will be games shown at E3, both first and third party. (IGN)
-The controller has dual analog sticks. (IGN, fits with 01net)
-EA, Ubisoft, and Activision already have development kits for months. (Edge)
-The system might be pre-announced at Nintendo's fiscal call at about 12:00 A.M. PST/3:00 A.M. EST on Tuesday. (Various)

Fantastical said:
I wish I was as involved in during the Wii announcement as I am now. That would be one hell of a time. A complete WTF move by Nintendo that paid off so well for them.

I don't mean to go too off topic but when did we learn there would be motion controls for the Wii?

Here is a video of Iwata revealing the "Revolution" controller. It was at a Tokyo Game Show talk, 2005.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/metroidprime3/video/6133401

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From The Dust said:
we have a forum cap? lol

can't wait for Tuesday. best birthday ever
After 20,000 posts, the database calls necessary to pull the entire thread start to lead to 500 errors.

Since we got major new news and Nintendo is likely to announce this is about 24 hours, we figured we would head it off so we didn't have to cut the discussion during a major posting session.

mantidor

I can't believe the other thread got over 17000 replies in such little time. New Nintendo console always brings good times, I can only hope the controls aren't expensive.

Vinci

Danish
That is one funky controller design. Doesn't look comfortable at all. Hopefully Nintendo's version is more ergonomic.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Can't wait to buy hori screen protectors, a wrist strap, and controller condom for my cafe controller

to answer someone in the last thread the reason we expect something at the investors meeting is because the initial rumors themselves said to expect an announcement later this month and the investors meeting just fits so well for such an announcement. also they've announced things at investors meetings before so yeah.

parasight

You have my attention Nintendo. Really dig the supposed streaming capabilities.

So help me god, if there's friend codes on this

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The controller, from the points, appears like they're trying to throw every possible controller aspect onto one controller. I thought Nintendo was all about simplicity and accessibility 5 years ago?

Seda

It's a mockup controller guys. Sure it's "close" to the real thing but wait until we actually see it.

Takao

Banned
I think I said I was out, but I'm out for sure if that controller is close to real. Buying this platform will be a ticking time bomb and I don't want to waste my money.

Gvaz

Banned
If that controller is real, then why did they make a 3DS? That shit's a handheld not a console controller.

Door2Dawn

Banned
I don't give a shit what some french website says about the controller, until Nintendo confirms it, they're talking out of their ass.

Medalion

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
I thought it was amusing that the rumors claimed PS3 superiority, when the PS3 hasn't even reached its peak yet.
WiiHD, opening the 69th dimension when PS3 only does 4 dimensions!

The Wiimote looked very uncomfortable at first but the damn thing literally melted in your hands. I hope this new tablet controller is the same.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
cj_iwakura said:
I thought it was amusing that the rumors claimed PS3 superiority, when the PS3 hasn't even reached its peak yet.
Hardware doesn't magically get better over time. people can get more performance out of something over time, yes, but it will always have it's limits.

Ezduo

Banned
Gvaz said:
If that controller is real, then why did they make a 3DS? That shit's a handheld not a console controller.
I assume one is meant to be played wherever while the other is tethered to a console.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Posting prediction here for the potential lols in a few months
More like sweet vindication!! :)

- Cafe will not be the final name.
- Touch screen controller will have Biometric reading abilities built in.
- Half Life 3 (Episode 3) will be PC/Wii 2 exclusive.
- Wiimoteplus and Nunchuck (or updated version) included in package.
- Released in at LEAST one territory (Japan) Holiday 2011.
- $359.99
- Water-based IP from Miyamoto a launch title

Vinci

Danish
pharmboy044 said:
That controller looks huge. Not sure how comfortable it'll be to hold it for multiple hours at a time.

The Wiimote wasn't horrible to use for hours on-end, as people loved to whine about prior to the Wii's release. I'm sure this on won't be bad either. Don't worry about it.

SmithnCo

elrechazao said:
That controller seems like a 3ds. I wonder how hard it would be to give it a ds slot. Might be a huge selling point.

Something like that would definitely qualify as a huge surprise.

But I'd expect being able to use the 3DS as a substitute controller more likely. Sucks that they'll likely just confirm the system in the next few days and we'll have to stew until E3 for more info.

Door2Dawn said:
I don't give a shit what some french website says about the controller, until Nintendo confirms it, they're talking out of their ass.

So they just broke the codename before everyone else and everything else doesn't matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom