• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

I'll stick with my three Apple TV 3's.

I wanted to see if this thing would be a cable box replacement and it isn't.
An app store just means I wouldn't have to go into the "main menu" section and hide all the trash apps I don't use. That convenience is not worth 150 dollars.

-Also, I have a 7 HDMI input A/V receiver and I still use the optical port of my Apple TV in the living room. It has it's uses.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I think devs will find plenty of ways to utilize the ATV. I'm just focusing on the online shopping as demoed today. I really don't think this is something people will want to use to do their shopping when they have a MacBook, iPhone, and/or iPad laying around which will be much better suited for that task. It just seemed weird that Apple made it a big highlight of their conference. I don't know anyone who wants to shop that way nor do I see what you gain over the other means.

Gotcha. Yeah I agree with this. Honestly, I think some of the partners that Apple picks to demo apps are chosen more based on their "brand" or other nebulous marketing-related bullet points that need to be ticked, and less on the actual usefulness / innovation of the integration.

I'll stick with my three Apple TV 3's.

I wanted to see if this thing would be a cable box replacement and it isn't.
An app store just means I wouldn't have to go into the "main menu" section and hide all the trash apps I don't use. That convenience is not worth 150 dollars.
That TV service was delayed until 2016. You may very well be right for sticking to your Apple TV3's until then. That's what I am doing.
Even so, The TV service is rumored to be backwards compatible with the Apple TV 3.

That TV service was delayed until 2016. You may very well be right for sticking to your Apple TV3's until then. That's what I am doing.
Even so, The TV service is rumored to be backwards compatible with the Apple TV 3.

Even better!
Just give me live TV+app access in one tiny device that can be understood by my girlfriend and guests and I am on board.

Even better!
Just give me live TV+app access in one tiny device that can be understood by my girlfriend and guests and I am on board.
This is the biggest problem with cord cutting; the experience isn't great or easy because of the fragmentation. It'll be interesting to see how Apple's TV service is.

DarkFlow

Banned

If apples TV service is less then $60 I'll be amazed.

wachie

Except that it has an AppStore and plays games. Not sure where you are going.
e37.png

You also clearly don't understand how GPUs work.
Well, clearly you don't. (Look up my previous threads)

The higher clock speed and fill rate is needed on the iPad's because they are pushing 2048x1536. Literally more pixels thus they need a higher fill rate and throughput to keep up at 60fps. Throwing that at 1920x1080 isn't going to accomplish much really. In theory it would give faster frame rates except that Apple TV is still forced to 60Hz. So they'd bump up the processor to literally go unused for the most part.

This isn't PC land. Throwing in a better GPU doesn't magically give you 20fps more just because APIs on iOS just aren't coded that way. The iPad traditional gets the X processor because it NEEDS it to support 2048x1536 along with multi-tasking features. Not because apple wants games to run smoother on it (which for the most part they don't, in that they run on par with the iPhone versions just at a higher resolution which should be your first big clue right there.)
Are you saying that multi-tasking isn't needed on the Apple TV?

This is the biggest problem with cord cutting; the experience isn't great or easy because of the fragmentation. It'll be interesting to see how Apple's TV service is.

That's why I went back to cable about 5 years ago. I don't want 15 different logins for different services. I just want live TV (including local channels), Youtube and Netflix on a single device. Paying for all the TV related services like Hulu or HBO Now or Sling or PS Vue eventually adds up to what my cable bill is.

I hope the Apple service is appealing. We are very entrenched in their ecosystem.
OR my other hope is Time Warner somehow adds Netflix and Youtube access on their cable boxes.

aeolustl

I still feels that Apple consider this Apple TV as a hobby business.
Maybe I'll buy one after they release the 3rd gen of this new Apple TV

I'm really excited to see what we get in tvOS 2.0 at WWDC 2016. Seems like a solid baseline UX that's ready to get way more exciting (in terms of feature set) in its second version.

Fully expecting a "macOS" rebranding there as well.

Terrell

I'm pleased and intrigued, just enough to consider one, even without games in the picture. With the RAM and CPU it's packing, I have to assume it's significantly snappier to use than the previous-gen model I have already, and that's the real draw for me, since the current ATV is not the quickest little beast ever to grace the earth, to say the least.

I can't believe I actually thought about dropping directv for this. At the end of the day, live sports always wins the heart of fans (and wallets).

DirecTV is certainly the cheapest live sports option, no question, but you can really blame that on the leagues making it prohibitively expensive and restrictive to watch live sports without cable or satellite. They have the option and simply refuse to take it. NHL Game Center pricing is a fucking joke/travesty. But if they get a SlingTV app on Apple TV, then I guess the joke ends up being on the leagues.

That's the thing though, most TVs now have all this. The navigation and voice control looked pretty sweet, but let's say you got one of the Samsung/Sonys from the past couple of years. They have all those apps already, including some games like that Rayman one... Do you think the general consumer will see the product as something they should buy to make what they already have a bit better?

For most people, a TV is a 5-7 year investment. So there's a LOT of people with TVs in the wild that don't have SmartTV-esque functions.
And as with everything Apple does, the devil is in the little details for consumers at times. The Siri functions look incredibly slick, easy to use and very on point in a way that is more clearly demoed than most SmartTV functionality, as does bringing their brand of touch navigation into the picture.

But iPhones now shoot 4K video. You'd think they'd go hand in hand being all the talk of an Apple ecosystem.

When the content is ready for the iTunes Store, 4K will get the push. But bandwidth caps also place this outside of the range of most people to really utilize, so that could have been part of why they aren't on the bleeding edge there. Because until bandwidth caps improve, that's what online 4K content is: bleeding edge, accent on the "bleeding".

Well, they're at least making an attempt to make the fragmentation a lot less visible to the end user by letting Siri search cross-service like it did in the demos, which I imagine is going to be a decent part of the appeal, so long as it isn't searching services I'm not logged into and don't want to pay for.
Other devices have tried to make this a selling point and either seen modest success in return or failed. The cheers at the event today when it was shown off tell me that people have confidence in Apple to make it a marketable feature, albeit with trepidation.

That's why I went back to cable about 5 years ago. I don't want 15 different logins for different services. I just want live TV (including local channels), Youtube and Netflix on a single device. Paying for all the TV related services like Hulu or HBO Now or Sling or PS Vue eventually adds up to what my cable bill is.

I hope the Apple service is appealing. We are very entrenched in their ecosystem.
OR my other hope is Time Warner somehow adds Netflix and Youtube access on their cable boxes.

I've found the iTunes Store to be pretty compelling in its own right for ditching cable, but that's just me and I've discussed that to death already in other threads.

I've found the iTunes Store to be pretty compelling in its own right for ditching cable, but that's just me and I've discussed that to death already in other threads.

For On Demand viewing of current show and movies, sure. But it's not live and I can't channel surf.

Terrell

For On Demand viewing of current show and movies, sure. But it's not live and I can't channel surf.

Yeah, nothing quite replicates the junkie-esque urge to channel surf and it's unlikely anything will. Most internet-based options are halfway between the channel surf and the old style TVs where you had to get off your ass and turn a knob for something different. And the delayed release until 12:01am the next day of shows that aired that day (mostly, anyways) isn't everyone's cup of tea.

JDeluis

The only thing I was hoping for was a headphone jack on the remote. Similar to the one on the Roku 3.

The most exciting app was the MLB.TV. Hopefully it will allow you to change DNS settings like the previous Apple TV to get around the black out.

I do wish the previous Apple TV would have dropped to $50, but I'm sure it will continue to sell ok at $69.

That remote sounds killer actually. I'll have to look into this. Only thing, though, is I'm not really in the Apple ecosystem. So not sure if this makes too much sense when I could use the apps within smart TVs or through other offerings.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I kind of want this.

I have had a PC hooked up to my TV for years, but it's just a nightmare. Fiddling with Kodi, remote apps, shit crashing or asking for updates... It's just a shitty user experience when I'm chilling with my girlfriend and she is like WTF as I fiddle on the phone to remotely get it to boot Furious 7.

So I am in the market for a really solid dedicated TV box, and I'm an Apple guy. I know it will work with all my airplay stuff and can access my iTunes music, etc. And I know it will get apps for all the media apps I care about (SoundCloud, etc).

My most desired feature is not even announced: I just want to be able to stream my ripped-to-MKV blu rays. Whether that's Plex, or whatever, I don't care. I'm sure Apple TV won't support that out of the box, but an app certainly will... and failing that, jailbreak!

A8X is unnecessary driving 1080p.

Also 2000 called and is asking for its digital audio port back. If only we could get it replaced by one single digital connector that supports audio and video. Maybe even network and return channel audio. And was mature enough that it was cheap to include in any AV device being released.

Oh, wait...

So how am I supposed to output music to my stereo amp?
Pass through on my TV so I have to have it on all the time? No thanks, even if I didn't already use the pass through for a soundbar.

KeRaSh

I would upgrade from my current Apple TV in a heartbeat if the OS supported the use of VPN right out of the box. 50% of the content I watch comes from HBO Now through a VPN connection that I have set up on my iPad, Air Played to my Apple TV. If I could access HBO Now directly from Apple TV I would be really happy.

I kind of want this.

I have had a PC hooked up to my TV for years, but it's just a nightmare. Fiddling with Kodi, remote apps, shit crashing or asking for updates... It's just a shitty user experience when I'm chilling with my girlfriend and she is like WTF as I fiddle on the phone to remotely get it to boot Furious 7.

So I am in the market for a really solid dedicated TV box, and I'm an Apple guy. I know it will work with all my airplay stuff and can access my iTunes music, etc. And I know it will get apps for all the media apps I care about (SoundCloud, etc).

My most desired feature is not even announced: I just want to be able to stream my ripped-to-MKV blu rays. Whether that's Plex, or whatever, I don't care. I'm sure Apple TV won't support that out of the box, but an app certainly will... and failing that, jailbreak!

I was in the same position as you (except no Apple ecosystem here) and moved to a FireTV. It's been a great decision with the ability to side load Kodi.
Rock solid, smooth and able to easily handle blu rays. Main downside is no 24p if you tend to notice that a lot.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Most audio add ons like sound bars and surround sound use optical audio.

ehhhh... I don't know how much I agree with "most". many sound bars have them, but ALSO have HDMI as well. I also think it is a timing thing. A modern sound bar is more like to have HDMI or HDMI-only. Bottom line is we need to move off of optical out.. and it's clear that, because the mfgrs kept it around for so long, the it's going to be at the kicking and screaming of consumers, which DOES suck (for the consumers I mean). I get that :(

Are you saying that multi-tasking isn't needed on the Apple TV?
nowhere NEAR to the degree needed on a personal device. Remember, the Apple TV is a living room device. It means in most cases, multiple people will be using it simultaneously. Which either means multiplayer games (though I'll believe it when I see it), or watching TV. So does it need multitasking? No I don't believe a common use case will be a family watching Walking Dead, and then shrinking that down to picture in picture to buy something on Amazon. Arguably out of every computing device in the house, Apple TV is the LEAST in need of multitasking, as it's the device most likely to be routinely single tasking.

So how am I supposed to output music to my stereo amp?
Pass through on my TV so I have to have it on all the time? No thanks, even if I didn't already use the pass through for a soundbar.

I'm guessing your amp is old.. If it's old, I'm guessing you love it for various audio qualities.. with that being said, that doesn't preclude that this is an OLD and obsolete technology. However, you have a need, I get that. Fortunately there are boxes out there that will accommodate your special use needs.

It's like AC3 RF inputs on receivers back in the 90s. Did it suck when all high end receivers stopped including them when DVD exploded in popularity? Hell yeah... I had like 100+ laser discs with the majority having DD tracks. Was it reasonable to expect manufacturers to keep including the input that most were not going to use? No. So just like anyone in that case has to do.. you either have to give it up, or find a device that let's you convert it to the standard that IS being used.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produ...0&cadevice=c&gclid=CPSkuam87McCFQasaQod_sQI7Q

looks like it even treats the HDMI as a passthrough so you can extract the optical audio on top of passing through the whole HDMI signal.

Did they say they were updating the UI for current Apple TV's? If so, when?

I swear they were talking about it after saying "and it will complement the existing $69 Apple TV". which, right after they said that they talked about revamped UI and Apple Music. So if we're to take it that way, then 3rd gen will keep going how it's going. Get Apple Music, the new UI look, get Apple-gated services, and I believe it's already been confirmed that it will get Apple's channel service. So if the 3rd gen is good enough for you now, it will likely continue to be good enough. I have three 3rd gens in the house, and to be honest I am only looking at replacing the living room with this. Will keep the other two where they are.

It's weird that the new AppleTV is so much taller. Honestly, the only reason I can think of for the added height is better heat dissipation, either because maybe this is a higher-clocked A8, or just because Apple wants gaming to be able to occur without throttling.

The other thing that was odd to me was absolutely no mention of HomeKit features with Siri. I plan on this being my and my parents' Amazon Echo for home automation, but Apple didn't even mention that being a possibility.

Also, you people saying you're going to stick with the ATV3 are crazy for reason alone that the hardware in the ATV3 is SOOOOO slow. This thing is going to be so much more responsive, and even allow for faster downloads/bigger buffers because the CPU was so slow in the old ATV.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Dump question, can you still stream from our computer? Keep watching the vids and pics and don't see the Computer Icon any more.

borghe

I was hoping Apple TV would also be like Amazon echo and be able to control my smart Home stuff.
It is. This has been long confirmed. I am guessing the lack of announcement of any kind is just HomeKit still being very infant and kind of beta (first licensed devices only just started shipping to mixed reviews.)

I'd guess Apple will hold off on an official unveiling until maybe the big service update for streaming.

SuperPac

Dump question, can you still stream from our computer? Keep watching the vids and pics and don't see the Computer Icon any more.

The computer icon is there, it's just in the second or third row of icons in apple's video and they scroll past it quickly.

Raistlin

Looks to have potential. Lack of 4K is problematic, but only if they plan to maintain the same upgrade cycle they have in the past. If they are actually moving to annual, or at the very worst bi-annual upgrades, they should be able to bring it when it's needed for a larger chunk of the market.

My biggest question is who's going to make apps for it? Will we see Apple competitors on here? For example, no Vudu and no Amazon would be no buy.

Another side question for me personally is regarding that replay feature. Other competitors have this to some extent (usually app specific), and I love it on my WMC DVR. It is incredibly useful to have the subtitles pop up for a few seconds on a replay.

The thing is all of those devices have a dedicated hard button, which is what makes using the feature so nice. There is no button here. Have they confirmed whether a gesture will active it? If not, "What did she say?" is exactly the sort of over engineering shit people whine about Apple for. Sure it's a nice optional method to do a replay, but if that's the only way it's terrible, over engineered crap. Makes what would be one of this product's best features (assuming it is system-wide) mostly useless in the real world. :\

Troy

Banned
Also, you people saying you're going to stick with the ATV3 are crazy for reason alone that the hardware in the ATV3 is SOOOOO slow. This thing is going to be so much more responsive, and even allow for faster downloads/bigger buffers because the CPU was so slow in the old ATV.

If they wanted me to buy one they wouldn't have been idiots and removed the optical out. There's too many other (cheaper) options out there for me to waste time on a device that I can't simply plug my A50s into.

Dumb question, but will either the old or new Apple TV work with a Harmony Remote? I get that the new controller has a touchpad that can't be replicated.

borghe

My biggest question is who's going to make apps for it? Will we see Apple competitors on here? For example, no Vudu and no Amazon would be no buy.

obviously we'll have to wait and see... but..

It is literally the same APIs as iPhone and iPad, the same CPU as the 6 family, and the same resolution as the 6 Plus. My guess is best case scenario for well designed apps, it will be a matter of testing and editing the main plist. At the ver least not much more than that. Worst case scenario, some not so well designed apps will need to be brought up to snuff first and then the same level of trivial.

So yeah.. I am guessing right out of the gate you are going to see a LOT of apps for this things.. 10s of thousands by the end of the year. For example, I've had zero interest in buying any of the Square-Enix games on iPhone or iPad... but being that they all support MFi, the second they add Apple TV to the universal purchase I'll buy them instantly. Given the time-to-cost of it, I'd almost guess it's a net money loss NOT making apps available for Apple TV.

Dumb question, but will either the old or new Apple TV work with a Harmony Remote? I get that the new controller has a touchpad that can't be replicated.

Old yes. It's just a standard IR remote. New, highly unlikely. It's a bluetooth remote. What remains to be seen is how CEC works. So if I get cursor, menu and select control with my TV remote over CEC, then in theory yes you could do some stuff with it. For example I can press the "Bravia Sync" button on my Sony TV remote to simulate the PS button on my PS4. So yeah.. controlling the ATV directly with Harmony? No chance. Controlling it over CEC from another device (stereo or TV)? We'll have to wait and see.

I got a Roku TV because it's the least horrible smart TV interface I could find. Looks like it's time for a change.

It definitely works with the old one.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
If they wanted me to buy one they wouldn't have been idiots and removed the optical out. There's too many other (cheaper) options out there for me to waste time on a device that I can't simply plug my A50s into.

Still not understanding why you can't just plug your headphones into your TV or receiver? What's the advantage of the port on the Apple TV itself?

Lynn616

It is. This has been long confirmed. I am guessing the lack of announcement of any kind is just HomeKit still being very infant and kind of beta (first licensed devices only just started shipping to mixed reviews.)

I'd guess Apple will hold off on an official unveiling until maybe the big service update for streaming.

It will need an always listening mic to compete with my Amazon Echo.

Ditching the D-Pad, in favor of a touchpad, is possibly a terrible idea for navigating core TV style apps, as when navigating to an item of interest, such as movie / tv thumbnail, you typically move the selection one item at a time, which is entirely natural with a D-Pad, unlike a touchpad. That's assuming the touchpad doesn't mimic a D-Pad, by registering top, bottom, left and right presses.

As a hardcore PS3 browser user (D-Pad navigation works quite well, inc. with on-screen keyboard (phone layout), which I'm using right now), I was interested to see if Apple included support for Safari, but I can see on commercial grounds, this probably doesn't make much sense.

empyrean

Just read that some of the Siri search stuff (such as show me films with actor x in) is exclusive to iTunes at launch and won't be able to search Netflix etc, major bummer.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Daniel B·;178237808 said:
Ditching the D-Pad, in favor of a touchpad, is possibly a terrible idea for navigating core TV style apps, as when navigating to an item of interest, such as movie / tv thumbnail, you typically move the selection one item at a time, which is entirely natural with a D-Pad, unlike a touchpad. That's assuming the touchpad doesn't mimic a D-Pad, by registering top, bottom, left and right presses.

If it's anything like the official iOS "Remote" app for the current Apple TV, it works surprisingly well. It doesn't mimic a "traditional" touch pad like your laptop or phone. When you swipe, it only moves one item at a time.

The 200MB limit is not accurate. Apple is pushing this across all platforms. The key is the on demand asset loading. The problem is that .app bundles have been universal. One bundle for iPhone AND iPad. Then they get huge, and have double assets, now triple assets, etc.

So what Apple is starting to push for is the 200MB primary .app bundle, and then loading the remaining resources as needed. So if you're on iPad, only loading the iPad resources. ATV only loading those resources, etc.

So no, there isn't a 200MB limit. As a dev you just have to manage your resources ESPECIALLY if you're releasing a universal app. The upside is a better user experience. Say a 900MB iPhone download instead of the previous 1.8GB universal download.

The downside is that if you have a game over 200MB, you'll never have the full game downloaded. Only chunks and parts, essentially streaming the content as needed.

This is going to be a lot of work for devs and an utter nightmare to debug and test. It has to work seamlessly, and work well even for users with spotty internet. Otherwise, you're forcing your users to wait while the next level is downloaded. It's super risky business and it's definitely putting me off developing a tvOS app.

The lack of local storage on the device is also a huge limitation. No save files outside of iCloud? That's rough for every app.

If it's anything like the official iOS "Remote" app for the current Apple TV, it works surprisingly well. It doesn't mimic a "traditional" touch pad like your laptop or phone. When you swipe, it only moves one item at a time.

Ah, right. Still, the most inefficient way to navigate an app UI ever invented? If you're going through items in one direction, as you do (looking for something decent to watch on NetFlix etc), you just keep your thumb over associated D-Pad key and keep pressing, but with this trackpad implementation...

nullref

I'm disappointed in the lack of HD audio support, but not really surprised – none of these TV boxes seem to give a shit about supporting it. I really just want the nice experience of the big-name boxes – quiet, nice UI, nice remote – plus the ability to play MKVs with DTS-HD. (I have no interest in transcoding through Plex – I don't want to run the necessary server, nor do I want the quality loss.)

Lack of optical out sucks for those that still depend on it, and it would have been a nice inclusion. I can understand why it's being relegated to legacy status, though. The vast majority of people are either plugging these boxes into a TV with HDMI ports, or a receiver with HDMI ports.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Daniel B·;178241216 said:
Ah, right. Still, the most inefficient way to navigate an app UI ever invented? If you're going through items in one direction, as you do (looking for something decent to watch on NetFlix etc), you just keep your thumb over associated D-Pad key and keep pressing, but with this trackpad implementation...

Complaining that a tiny flick of your thumb is more difficult than pressing a d-pad button is a textbook first world problem. Not to mention you can also just use the touchscreen as a d-pad by tapping instead of swiping.

This and the Amazon Fire TV are the two streaming boxes with the most streaming services, correct? The difference being Apple has iTunes, and Amazon has Amazon streaming?

Now that this has a universal search, I will wait and see what the new Fire TVs can do, and then choose from there.

Complaining that a tiny flick of your thumb is more difficult than pressing a d-pad button is a textbook first world problem. Not to mention you can also just use the touchscreen as a d-pad by tapping instead of swiping.

I guess you missed the "That's assuming the touchpad doesn't mimic a D-Pad, by registering top, bottom, left and right presses." in my original post?

HooYaH

Daniel B·;178241216 said:

Sony's TV lineup this year has a similar remote. I didn't really hear people having problems with it.

MilkLizard

I was in the same position as you (except no Apple ecosystem here) and moved to a FireTV. It's been a great decision with the ability to side load Kodi.
Rock solid, smooth and able to easily handle blu rays. Main downside is no 24p if you tend to notice that a lot.

Any word how the new ATV handles this?

I guess it should work (if you have one that supports bluetooth of course. I read on iDownloadblog that the new ATV is only released in 8 countries with the Siri remote and the rest gets the old remote we know from ATV 1-3. Why they do such a stupid thing is beyond me. Probably going to "import" from Germany.

Top Bottom