• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
hirokazu said:
Yeah, the thing is, if I were to format the system memory, I would lose all transaction records, which means I'd have to pay for them again! :(

Formatting the system memory doesn't wipe off the tickets.

I did it myself so I know it for sure :)

Well, has anyone figured out why Snes9x isn't reading the ROMs folder? I've had it booted in FAT32 and FAT16 versions, they both are the same, except with the first time I installed the first FAT32 release, it wouldn't read the ROMs folder, then it would a few minutes later. Maybe it's my SD card... but if it were that, it wouldn't boot the .elf file. I don't get this. Is this Nintendo's doing?

you have to have the roms folder inside of the root directory named after the program you are using. so if it is snes9x make the directory snes9x/roms and put them in there

i was stuck on this for about 2 hrs last night before i figured everything out :D

layzie1989 said:
you have to have the roms folder inside of the root directory named after the program you are using. so if it is snes9x make the directory snes9x/roms and put them in there

i was stuck on this for about 2 hrs last night before i figured everything out :D
Yeah, I did that when I first started everything. This sucks.

itxaka

Defeatist
Quake 1 ported to Wii with wiimote support.

http://www.tehskeen.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=2426

http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=U7PUHBHF

What's New?

* It resets properly on the Wii (still not able to return to the loader, though.)

* Reads files from the front Wii SD slot (saving disabled, forgot to reenable it before uploading, but you can remove the return lines on SYS_FileOpenWrite and SYS_FileWrite to make it work.)

* Wiimote suport, tried to map the buttons on the wiimote and nunchuk more or less like the gamecube ones, wiimote IR aiming and nunchuk up-motion jumping.

AND Snes9x Custom 3.0 version.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HMPP51VM
http://rapidshare.com/files/118130438/Snes9X_by_LoPsT_v.3.0.rar

- 2 Wiimote support (quick connection)
- Classic controller support
- Nunchuck support
- SD Frontal support
- savegame direct to gcram support(now it saves when exiting emulator).
- Long filenames support
- Zip support
- Exit to HomeBrew Channel support
- RGB PAL60 FIX (Finally!)
- Gamecube controller support

Haunted

yoopoo

Banned
SNES9X 3.1 http://dl.qj.net/SNES9X-v3.1-Wii-Homebrew/pg/12/fid/16976/catid/526
-- Support for commanders Game Cube
-- Automatically detects the video mode of the TV (PAL60, 480p, ...)

GenesisPlus with Wii SD saving support.

* accurate & full speed Sega Genesis emulation
* Stereo Sound (@48 kHz)
* 1~4 Players support
* automatic SRAM/FreezeState (optional)
* ROM Information Screen
* Zipped roms support (.zip only !)
* Interleaved roms support (.smd, .bin are also supported)
* Load roms from SDCARD or DVD (4.7GB DVD support for Wii users, in GC mode only)
* Load/Save SRAM and FreezeState files from/to Memory Card & SDCARD (compressed)
* Original NTSC & PAL progressive rendering modes (240p/288p) support
* Enhanced Interlaced Mode 2 (double resolution screen) support
* Interlaced (576i/480i) & Progressive (480p) TV mode support
* Wiimote, Nunchuk & Classic Controller support (WII mode only)
* NTSC Genesis (60Hz) & PAL Megadrive (50Hz) timings
* 6-Buttons gamepad
* Sega TeamPlayer & EA 4-Way Play
* J-Cart (autodetected)
* Sega Menacer (autodetected for Menacer 6-in-1 game)
* backup SRAM
* serial EEPROM (used by a few games as backup memory)
* ROM bankswitch (Super Street Fighter 2)
* SRAM switch (Phantasy Star 4, Legend of Thor, Sonic 3 & Knuckles)
* Mappers & copy protection devices used in many unlicensed/pirate cartridges
* SVP dsp (Virtua Racing)
* Game Genie
* full Overscan area (horizontal & vertical colored borders)
* TMSS BIOS (optional)

http://dl.qj.net/Genesis-Plus-Project-30-05-2008-Wii-Homebrew/pg/12/fid/16991/catid/526

imthemaid

Banned
Haunted One said:
That's awesome, works flawlessly now.

Too bad the PAL60 version (which I needed) is only available in Spanish. I mean, I can understand most stuff, but for the sake of consistency and ease of use, an English version would be even better. :p

Is there a site where I can check when a new, or at least translated version is released?

Doesn't work flawlessly and I doubt that it ever will. Have you tried an SNES game on VC?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yoopoo said:

* Stereo Sound (@48 kHz)
* 1~4 Players support
* automatic SRAM/FreezeState (optional)
* ROM Information Screen
* Zipped roms support (.zip only !)
* Interleaved roms support (.smd, .bin are also supported)
* Load roms from SDCARD or DVD (4.7GB DVD support for Wii users, in GC mode only)
* Load/Save SRAM and FreezeState files from/to Memory Card & SDCARD (compressed)
* Original NTSC & PAL progressive rendering modes (240p/288p) support
* Enhanced Interlaced Mode 2 (double resolution screen) support
* Interlaced (576i/480i) & Progressive (480p) TV mode support
* Wiimote, Nunchuk & Classic Controller support (WII mode only)
* NTSC Genesis (60Hz) & PAL Megadrive (50Hz) timings
* 6-Buttons gamepad
* Sega TeamPlayer & EA 4-Way Play
* J-Cart (autodetected)
* Sega Menacer (autodetected for Menacer 6-in-1 game)
* backup SRAM
* serial EEPROM (used by a few games as backup memory)
* ROM bankswitch (Super Street Fighter 2)
* SRAM switch (Phantasy Star 4, Legend of Thor, Sonic 3 & Knuckles)
* Mappers & copy protection devices used in many unlicensed/pirate cartridges
* SVP dsp (Virtua Racing)
* Game Genie
* full Overscan area (horizontal & vertical colored borders)
* TMSS BIOS (optional)

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3919
http://www.bugmenot.com/view/tehskeen.com

very exciting, nice stuff, but can't figure out from where i should download it :/

HUELEN10

I am tempted to do this now that my warranty is void, but I have a few questions after reading all this.

1. If I use the WAD Uninstaller, will remove every trace? Will anything be left on like the message board?

2. All I want to do thi for is the following. I own 63 VC games and 4 WiiWare games (Most were gifts, but that is beside the point). Is it possible to just use TP to install the Homebrew Channel on The Wii menu (Which can be unistalled) just so I can have all my content there to access it? Is it even possible to put payed content there? THis is the only reason I am looking into this. I just wanna be able to use what I payed for.

3. Space is an issue, so what are my storage options?

hirokazu

Dash Kappei said:
Formatting the system memory doesn't wipe off the tickets.

I did it myself so I know it for sure :)
Really. All the searching I've done, people have been saying formatting will delete your tickets and transaction record.

mugwhump

Wow, homebrew channel is HOT SHIT.

But what's the 'save SRAM' option? It doesn't seem like save state... It doesn't do anything in any of the megamans I've played. And Rin doesn't have state saving. :(

If someone ports counterstrike with wii remote support i'm game! The Quake port sounds interesting, i didn't think that wii remote development was that far along.

mugwhump said:
Wow, homebrew channel is HOT SHIT.

But what's the 'save SRAM' option? It doesn't seem like save state... It doesn't do anything in any of the megamans I've played. And Rin doesn't have state saving. :(
That's for the saves the carts would've had built in. If the cart didn't have anything like that, the option should do nothing.
LivetoFollow said:
If someone ports counterstrike with wii remote support i'm game! The Quake port sounds interesting, i didn't think that wii remote development was that far along.
Well, once they got wiimote working at all the specifics shouldn't be much more difficult. I played with wiimote on PC for a few days and it didn't take long for me to design some interesting control scripts for emulators.

Gave these a quick try.
yoopoo said:
SNES9X 3.1 http://dl.qj.net/SNES9X-v3.1-Wii-Homebrew/pg/12/fid/16976/catid/526
-- Support for commanders Game Cube
-- Automatically detects the video mode of the TV (PAL60, 480p, ...)
It starts off better than the last version I tried; upon starting it doesn't lose the wiimote and fail to recognize it for some seconds. I was hopeful the 480p would clear up the sharpness complaint I had before. However... upon trying any menu option it just dumped me into some tech demo ROM and froze.

From what little I tried this seemed pretty decent. Again regardless of video options it doesn't seem as sharp as Virtual Console, but hey.

Dash Kappei

hirokazu said:
Really. All the searching I've done, people have been saying formatting will delete your tickets and transaction record.

Well, let's make it clear: PAL Wii (doesn't change anything but..), go in the Wii System menu and choose "format memory" which:

A) it doesn't wipe off the updates (unfortunately)
B) VC Shop ticket are there since you can redownload the games you've previously bought... I don't remember if I was able to paste the vc games I had stored in the SD card though (IIRC yes but take it with a grain of salt).

Quick question. I've tried the TP hack a couple of times but haven't got serious with it because I only have a 16MB SD card (seriously, 16MB). What's the max size a Wii can use? 2 gig cards are like $8 at newegg and 4 gig cards aren't much more. I'm sure 2 gig is plenty of space, but I'd rather go with 4 in case I ever needed it for other uses.

So I checked around for a solution to my problems with this version of SNES9x. Found this on another forum:
it seems that you are using one of Lopst's illegal and buggy versions, which have a weird key configuration. To select menu entries, you have to press button 1 on your wiimote. Button 2 will quit the menu and start the emulator. To go back to the menu, you have to press the home button on a classic controller (the home button on the wiimote does not work)
Using 1 to navigate the menus worked fine. However, once in the game I couldn't get out even with the Classic Controller, so I still didn't get much accomplished. The visuals looked like the same not-quite-VC-sharp, though.

Dash Kappei

yoursisterspretty said:
Quick question. I've tried the TP hack a couple of times but haven't got serious with it because I only have a 16MB SD card (seriously, 16MB). What's the max size a Wii can use?

2 Gig.

mugwhump

Homebrew channel beta 8 released! :D

Changes:
* you don’t need to eject your memcards anymore
* switched from IOS35 to IOS21, this makes the hbc usable on older firmwares
* improved SD card loading performance (thanks, svpe!)
* improved some translations
* the IP label isn’t cut off anymore
* fixed argv support when loading SD apps
* fixed a minor wiiload issue
* the SD app entries are now sorted alphabetically
* wiimote rumble support
* installer overhaul, it now warns you if your System Menu is too new (future updates)

teh download: http://www.nes-hacks.com/homebrew-channel-beta-8-released/213/

JoshuaJSlone said:
So I checked around for a solution to my problems with this version of SNES9x. Found this on another forum:

Using 1 to navigate the menus worked fine. However, once in the game I couldn't get out even with the Classic Controller, so I still didn't get much accomplished. The visuals looked like the same not-quite-VC-sharp, though.
Haha, I went through this. Yeah the key configurations are borked. If you want to return to the menu with the wiimote, Press HOME and + at the same time.

bryehn

New version of the Saturn emulator "Yabause" is out. Anyone try this yet? My friend has a few Saturn disks and we've never been able to check them out (his pc sucks).

bryehn said:
New version of the Saturn emulator "Yabause" is out. Anyone try this yet? My friend has a few Saturn disks and we've never been able to check them out (his pc sucks).
Must one use rips, or can Wii read the game CDs?

Uhhh, no, you'll have to use rips and put the iso on an SD card.

By the way, the official site for the HBC is http://hbk.hackmii.com/
Hackmii itself is bushing's ( & others who're doing all this badass hardware hacking) blog. It's fun to read, he gives you homework to try and figure out what needs to be done next :D

bh7812

Banned
I hope this post will be ok and doesn't break any rules as I just strictly need help getting the Homebrew Channel installed.

I have a SanDisk 2GB SD Card for Wii. First off I haven't updated my Wii to 3.3 yet (still on 3.2) I've tried a couple of the pre-made SD cards saved as ZIP files, like the one RadioHead has posted in this thread. I can move it to the SD card no problem on my PC. But when I put the SD card in my Wii, neither the TP save file needed for the hack or the Homebrew Channel installer will show up! I've really played around with this trying to get the stuff I need to show up with NO luck :( I've tried re-formatting the SD card and as I said I've tried several pre-made SD cards zipped up where all I gotta do is extract, move it to the SD card and then use it on my Wii and the same thing, neither the save file or Homebrew installer show up on the SD card on the Wii.

If I use Radio Head's pre-made SD Card with all the folders and everything set up how they need to be then all I SHOULD have to do is extract, move to the SD card and then the installer should show up on my Wii ok? I have the TP save file on the PC, what folder does that go in? And also, on the PC end of it what is the file for the HBC installer called and do I need to have that in a specific folder too?

I'm really frustrated this looks like it should be brainless and even easier than doing the same stuff on the PSP.

If someone can help get me headed in the right direction and get the HBC installed I'll be very appreciative and be ok from there I have no probs with the emus or how those work and where games need to go.

itxaka

Defeatist
bh7812 said:

It´s really well explained in here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Twilight_Hack#Usage_.2F_Installation

If you have any more problems, just ask :)

In other news, Geexbox port for Wii has been released. It´s a media player based on Linux and promises a lot when the next wii-linux is released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFzZaC2D_yk

Summary:

This is a crude prototype of GeeXboX port for WII. It is based on gc-linux team's wii-linux-PoC-0.4 and a recent devel version of GeeXboX.

Most functions of WII, including bluetooth/wiimote, DVD, wireless, LAN etc., are not supported by this version, due to limitations of the linux kernel. There are terrible bugs too, which you won't be able to miss. So please regard this rather as a demo. But expect huge improvements in next release, when gc-linux team's latest linux port becomes available.

Requirements:

WII, SD card (formatted using FAT32), USB keyboard

Usage:

Homebrew channel users just need to copy everything into the root directory of your SD card and select GeeXboX in the channel.

TP hack users have to copy or move apps/geexbox/boot.elf to the root directory of your SD card and start the hack.

Control:

Use arrow keys to move around in the menu. For more detailed info on keyboard controls, consult GeeXboX homepage (GeeXboX HomePage).

After keypress(s), press enter to send to GeeXboX. (This is a temporary hack)

Formats:

All a/v formats supported by MPlayer (yes, rmvb included), with the exception of WMV9 audio.

bh7812

Banned
^I just wanted to post a quick thank you for taking the time to post that link for me! I took a look at that site this morning, decided to give installing the Homebrew Channel another try and I finally got it to install :) It took 4 tries before the TP hack wanted to finally work and install the channel but it finally did it. I'll sit down with it in a little while and make sure all the emus work. If the games don't start it'll be just a matter of moving those around into the roght spot. But the hard part's done now but I wanted to thank you for taking the time to give me the link :)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
so my wii is currently on 3.2e and i have the homebrew channel on it - can i update the firmware without any probs ? seems like the twiliight hack doesn`t work after the update - but the channel itself still will work...

another question... does mfe only works with a cube controller ?

cw_sasuke said:
so my wii is currently on 3.2e and i have the homebrew channel on it - can i update the firmware without any probs ? seems like the twiliight hack doesn`t work after the update - but the channel itself still will work...

another question... does mfe only works with a cube controller ?

Upgrade away they made the Twilight Hack work on 3.3 and all the Homebrew stuff still works fine

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
MiloFoxburr said:
Upgrade away they made the Twilight Hack work on 3.3 and all the Homebrew stuff still works fine

nice, thx for the quick answer....

btw. u know if u can control the mfe without a cube controller ? since it won`t load for me ...

Dash Kappei

MiloFoxburr said:

So if I send my Wii for repair and they upgrade it to 3.3 (since they likely will) I'll still be able to use the hack and install the Homebrew Channel even if I haven't previously installed it (I have to wipe out everything before sending the Wii in)?

Also, am I wrong or I can sell my Zelda TP disc since you don't need anymore to play the game even once to do the trick? Or you still need to do the insert game/walk towards man thingie the first time to be able to install the HB channel?

Cheers!

Dash Kappei said:
So if I send my Wii for repair and they upgrade it to 3.3 (since they likely will) I'll still be able to use the hack and install the Homebrew Channel even if I haven't previously installed it (I have to wipe out everything before sending the Wii in)?

Also, am I wrong or I can sell my Zelda TP disc since you don't need anymore to play the game even once to do the trick? Or you still need to do the insert game/walk towards man thingie the first time to be able to install the HB channel?

Cheers!
You'll still need TP to run anything straight from the card, which you need to do to install the HBC.

Dash Kappei

Guys, with 3.3 plus fixed Zelda save hack and homebrew channel, does the region free app still works (PAL Wii btw)?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Is the Wii Homebrew Browser (0.2.0a) dead for anyone else?

I dies for me halfway through the .png icons download, specifically it can't seem to find the OpenTyrian download, and instead of elegantly moving on, it halts the process and exits back to the Wii's channel menu.

Oh well.

Got the homebrew channel working, nifty thing. The SNES emulator also works fine, however the gba and nes emulators both only produce black & white images. Guess this has to do with me having a PAL wii and/or tv? I can play in 60hrtz mode, but that doesnt help. Is there some fix for this problem?

Now this is interesting. Someone's ported over a customizable PC Guitar Hero clone called Guitarfun. Sounds like it's got some flaws, and I'm not a big Guitar Hero guy to begin with, but seeing other clones like a Stepmania Wii could be very cool.

yoopoo

Banned
SNES9XGX v004 http://snes9x-gx.googlecode.com/files/Snes9xGX-004.rar

- added: option to disable AA filtering
(snes graphics 'crisper', AA now default OFF)
- added: mapped zooming and turbo mode to classic controller
- added: preliminary usb support (loading)
- changed: sram and freezes now saved by filename, not internal romname.
If you have multiple versions of the same game, you can now have
srams and freezes for each version. A prompt to convert to the
new naming is provided for sram only.
- changed: by default, autoload/save sram and freeze enabled

Dash Kappei

Cool, I didn't even know 0.7 was out!
Nice you can use custom themes as well.

~~
0.7 de Wii Homebrew Launcher

les changements :

* Ajout de son a la chaîne (merci a Zenome et TGames)
* Utilisation de libfat
* Support des noms de fichier long
* Nettoyage du code source et réécriture en C++
* Le bug d'affichage pour le mode 60Hz avec câble RGB est corrige
* Dans le fichier "system.ini", le paramètre VideoMode n'est plus pris en charge
* Ajout d'un sélecteur de thème
* Changement de l'effet de lumière lors des accès a la carte SD
* Les icônes des chaînes s'affichent au fur et a mesure du chargement
* Support du SDgecko (beta)
* Vérifie si les fichiers dol et elf sont valides avant de les lancer
* Si une chaîne n'a pas d'icône, le nom s'affichera dans l'icône
* La langue par défaut est l'anglais
* Le bouton reset ramène au menu Wii (depuis l'interface uniquement)
* Divers petites corrections
* Ajout d'un 'ROM loader' (beta) : Passage d'une ligne de commande avec le chemin de la rom au Homebrew via la fonction 'main(int argc, char **argv)' pour homebrew créé avec DevkitPro >= 1.4.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I finally checked this out, and other than the Homebrew Channel icon itself and the SNES emulator, I am largely disappointed. All the original games fucking stink, including Tetris.

The media player was ok, I guess.

Anything else I should check out?

Top Bottom