• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monday Night Combat Invitational - Now with more DOTA!

Wthermans

Banned
I don't give a shit if it's free-to-play. They can sell all the cosmetic items they want (and I'll even buy some, should the game prove fun enough for long enough), but I'll never, ever pay to unlock game content that should be there to start. Too, grinding up the fake-coin to unlock a pro is a similarly shitty solution to the "problem" of... wait, what is the problem with letting me have it all from the beginning, exactly?

Likewise, I don't give a shit if I can unlock them "quickly" by only playing a couple of games. The fact that I have to unlock them at all is bad in and of itself. It's bad in League of Legends (and I guess now Heroes of Newerth has it, too, now, but LoL is the only game I've played extensively that employs this bullshit tactic) and it's bad here. Bad bad bad. The more pros they introduce, the more I'll have to grind to unlock them. Bad.

I could easily see Uber making the easier Pros free every week once more Pros are introduced. I NEVER want to see Commandos or Gunslingers be free all the time though. Those classes have a much higher skill level and the fewer new players attempting them, the better.

It's fine to have 1 Gunslinger and 1 Commando open on the free weekends to let people try them out, but this prevents problems like having new players choose the "cool snipers, cool stealther, and super hero looking dude" thereby ruining the class balance and leading to your team getting rolled. Given how easy it is for 1 bad player to make your job twice as difficult, I'm glad to see the current setup.

derFeef

Assasin had a higher skill ceiling in MNC, now the commandos are just right-klick whoopydoo, and you can't kill them easily because of their escape skills. They are too strong. Not to speak of the Captain Spark gun - that must be the most unbalanced gun in the game. AOE and high damage even in the early game.

I am not confident Uber can balance this game.
Again.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I have two invites for this kicking around. PM me with your steam ID if you want them. Off to work now, will respond after I arrive :)

Wthermans

Banned
Assasin had a higher skill ceiling in MNC, now the commandos are just right-klick whoopydoo, and you can't kill them easily because of their escape skills. They are too strong. Not to speak of the Captain Spark gun - that must be the most unbalanced gun in the game. AOE and high damage even in the early game.

I am not confident Uber can balance this game.
Again.

Commandos being based around Grapples? Not sure what game you're playing. Veteran is the Grapple class. He's got 3 (2 skill and 1 melee) compared to Sin/Sparks 2 (and Sin can't even chain them that easily since she has no skill grapple). Wascot only has 1 grapple.

Sin was even easier in MNC due to OHKOs and Dash. If you didn't have Gold Steel Peal, you were pretty much dead from even a front grapple. In SMNC you have to pick on weak targets as Sin to get any kills. Sparks gun damage is pretty bad too. It's good for harassing weaker classes like Sharpshooters and killing Slimbots, but that's about it. The velocity of the projectile is so slow, it's easy to dodge. His lazer sword has higher DPS than Sin as well.

derFeef

Yeah, sometimes I think I play different games if people write complete different experiences I am having. So weird.

Sanic

The only thing I can really add to the commando discussion is that I have far more difficulty dealing with that set of characters, and I seem to not be alone. But, with that said, i've never had a moment where I felt there was a balance issue as opposed to simply being outplayed.

Wthermans

Banned
Update 22 is Live!

http://www.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=17078

You are my rule changes... you are my rule cha-ha-ha-hangess. You are the one... in my life! (+2 points if you get the reference!)

Happy Valentine's Day from all of us at Uber Entertainment! We have released an entire set of Valentine's Day uniforms and taunts. Awesome taunts that come complete with props and effects. Show off the love you have for your own skill level to the person you just fragged!

We have some amazing, new, large systems we're working on internally so the balance and feature changes are slightly lighter this week than most weeks. The Tank underwent some weapon rework, somewhat returning both weapons to previous functionality. ProTip: Get up close and personal with the Tank! We also did some adjustments to Assassin grappling, improved sharpshooter rifles and continued the range normalizations we've been doing for a few updates now.

As always, feel free to leave us feedback on http://www.uberent.com/forums!

New Rules
Free Pro Rotation: Gunslinger, Assassin, Tank, Assault, Support
Added "Faster Character Select" option to speed up class choosing performance by reducing how often animations are updated.
Old chat room text is now cleared out when you return from a match.
Boost time is now always shown as <days>:<hours>:<seconds>
Team mates are now always shown through walls like "Team Vision" enemies are.
Renamed "melee" in the key bindings screen to "High Five".
Bullseye's colors updated to be more festive this time of year.

Bug Fixes
Fixed product sets not editing properly if you have the maximum number.
Fixed all melee weapon lunges from being shorter than intended.
Fixed double clicking on regions in the play menu resulting in undesired behavior.
Fixed the rejoin dialog from sometimes failing.
Fixed the resulting behavior of a build team leader leaving the queue.
Fixed suicide denying a kill from the other team.
Fixed Practice Game UI from disapearing when flipping through other menu items.

Products
Added various new sounds to product activations.
Hot Hands: Recharge Time: 1 -> 10

Bullet Gorge Arena
Continued art revisions.
Fixed Pros from standing on high areas on the Hotshots side.
Added new death cams so you can get a better view of the evil person who scored a kill on you.

Downtown Spunky Arena
Continued art revisions.
Adjusted the center ring's Regenitol locations.
Added in blocking glass to high walls overlooking bot spawners.
Adjusted some interior space in some of the buildings.
Fixed some spots where Pros could stand on areas where they shouldn't be able to stand.

Assassin
New Uniform: Heartbreaker
New Taunt: Valentine
Cloak: Each attack while cloaked will now drain a little bit of the skill.
Dagger Grapple: Front: 300 -> 200
Sword Grapple: Front: 300 -> 200
Shuriken Grapple: Front/Back: 300/300 -> 250/250

Assault

Captain Spark

Cheston
Base Health: 1305 -> 1110

Combat Girl

Gunner
Rocket: Lock On Range: 2560/2560/3072/3584 -> 3072/3072/3072/3072

Gunslinger
Adjusted pain VO.
Lucinda: Can now score a headshot when not zoomed in.

Karl
Junior: Fixed detecting enemies through walls.

Sniper
New Taunt: Valentine (Found a bug, this Uniform will not be on sale until next week)
Sniper Rifle: Can now score a headshot without being zoomed in.
Flak: Fixed being able to fire your weapon while it's being thrown out.

Support
Firebase: Can now be healed while deploying.
Firebase: Now starts off at 5% health and regenerates while deploying.
Firebase: Deploy Time: 3 -> 5

Tank
Base Health: 1550 -> 1500
Jet Gun: Range: 704 -> 896
Jet Gun: Full Damage Range: 704 -> 256 (Once again does more damage the closer to the muzzle)
Rail Gun: Damage: 66 -> 75
Product Grenade: Changed to a throw animation so that it's more consitent with other skills.
Product Grenade: Now does stun and "ad splash" at every level.
Product Grenade: Damage: 80/160/200/240 -> 75/150/225/225
Tank Shield: Can now target base turrets, Firebases and Combat Kitties.
Tank Shield: Activation Range: 2048/2048/2048/2048 -> 2560/2560/2560/2560
Tank Shield: Health: 700/900/1200/2000 -> 750/900/1000/1200

Veteran
New Uniform: Heartbreaker.

Wascot
Fixed talking like the Sniper when he destroyed a turret.

Glad to see Sins with actually have to manage their cloak now and can't just cloak/melee turrets to death. Tank Shield working on turrets/Kitties/Firebases is AWESOME. Also love that Product Nade stuns at every level. Not sure how I feel about the damage falloff though. Cheston health nerf perplexes me. Apparently Uber wants to have health and mobility be trade offs, but even with his higher mobility, Cheston still felt weak compared to Gunner and Tank. Rampage doesn't increase speed that much and Roar is situational. The Family Jewels lunge is nice and while only 1 other Enforcer has a lunge, it still feels weak given the cooldown. Will be interesting to see if Uber follows their "health for mobility" mantra with the Veteran since he has the highest mobility of all the Enforcers but the same health as a Tank/Gunner.

derFeef

Dagger Grapple: Front: 300 -> 200
Sword Grapple: Front: 300 -> 200
Shuriken Grapple: Front/Back: 300/300 -> 250/250
For a class not based around grapples :)p) those are some hefty grapple nerfs, I welcome that.

Wthermans

Banned
For a class not based around grapples :)p) those are some hefty grapple nerfs, I welcome that.

From Scathis:

Assassin's grapple was straight-up better than everyone else's for no good reason. 250 damage is what it should be and her shuriken grapple is now that. The dagger/sword grapple was kept unique in that front grapples do less damage but back grapples do more.

Basically Sin had higher grapple damage than other Commandos. The only reason she could be considered a class that revolves around Grapples would be the fact that Sin back grapples do more damage than normal grapples.

The big nerf comes in the fact that Cloak is drained from any action. No longer will Sins be able to W + M1 (which is where the majority of Commando damage comes from) right in front of multiple bots/turrets.

derFeef

:) I wil lgive it a shot, maybe we could play together once so I can learn more.
Also liking the tank changes a lot, I always had a lot of fun playing him.

Wthermans

Banned
:) I wil lgive it a shot, maybe we could play together once so I can learn more.
Also liking the tank changes a lot, I always had a lot of fun playing him.

Add me on Steam (you'll find my SteamID in my profile). I'm always happy to play with others. Quite frankly I suck at the game, but I feel I have a good grasp on what works and what does and I enjoy playing it (sometimes).

Wthermans

Banned
Update 23 went live today. Mostly bug fixes but three key changes.

http://www.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=17175

And there's our beloved Rule Changes 23. Kill it, kill it now!

Short update on this Friday. Mostly to fix Karl's new Valentine's Day uniform and a few common crashes. Enjoy!

As always, feel free to leave us feedback on http://www.uberent.com/forums!

New Rules
Suiciding now adds 30 seconds to your respawn timer. (edit: This only applies the the suicide console command)
Pros can no longer stand on vending machines.

Bug Fixes
Fixed Annihilator VO from sometimes stating incorrectly that the Hotshots used it.
Fixed Pros from sinking into the ground on certain clients after a grapple throw.
Fixed a couple of common client crashes related to particle systems.
Fixed issues with changing key bindings during matches.
Fixed menu music returning after unlocking a taunt causing music taunts to overlap.

Assassin
Cloak: Drain: 6.7/5.8/5/4.2 -> 12/7.2/5/4.2
Shuriken/Sword: Cloak Drain per attack: 1.5/4 -> 2.25/6

Veteran
Fixed Tank lines sometimes being spoken after an assist.

Another Sin nerf so no more turret diving to take out lone players. Also, Enforcers with jumpjets can no longer access the jungle early game without buying a jump pad.

The only thing I can really add to the commando discussion is that I have far more difficulty dealing with that set of characters, and I seem to not be alone. But, with that said, i've never had a moment where I felt there was a balance issue as opposed to simply being outplayed.

Commandos are basically the pubstomp class. They prey on teams with poor communication which is pretty much every team in quickmatch. When I play with a 5-man team that's all on the same Mumble, commandos feel a lot more balanced, but in pub matches they're a huge pain in the ass because they can be flailing all over you in your backfield and your teammates two feet away will be totally oblivious. I wish Uber could do something to address it, but I don't think there are really any good solutions. The new cloak drain stuff should help out a little bit though.

DarkKyo

3V2qx.jpg

I love a team that knows how to secure the annihilator.

Goon Boon

Banned
NEW PATCH DAY, NEW HERO DAY

Flaming Rule Change! Some people think that's bad! I say gimme 24... that's what I say.

New Pro Week! Megabeth has been added to the Super MNC roster! Megabeth fills the same Striker roll as Karl and Assault. You can read all about her below. She also comes with one alternate uniform if you want to show off even more awesome.

We have also managed to hunt down and squash two major client issues that accounted for over 70% of the crashes!

As always, feel free to leave us feedback at http://www.uberent.com/forums!

Megabeth
Primary Weapon: "Rocket Ma'am": Primary Fire: Fires a rocket that travels in a straight line. Direct hits will cause knockback. Damaging herself will push her upwards for a possible rocket jump.
Primary Weapon: "Rocket Ma'am": Alternate Fire: Points a laser that all rockets in flight will track to the target location. 25% of the recharge is consumed when a rocket explodes. Can only be used when it is fully charged.
Secondary Weapon: "Bearing Hates": Primary Fire: Fires a small ball bearing that ricochets once.
Secondary Weapon: "Bearing Hates": Alternate Fire: Grapple throw
Skill 1: "Dirby Disku": Megabeth tosses out a disk that damages, slows Pros, and stuns bots and turrets. Disk will bounce off of targets.
Skill 2: "Whirling Derbish": Megabeth spins around in circles doing damage and pushing back enemies.
Skill 3: "Shoot The Moon": Megabeth uses her rocket skates to damage the area behind her, jump forward, and gain a short burst of speed.
New Uniform: Shevil

New Rules
Free Pro Rotation: Sniper, Wascot, Veteran, Karl, Combat Girl
Added new pro: Megabeth
Changed verbage for team invites so you know if you're being invited to a team or practice match.
All lunges are now affected by decreasing and increasing speed buffs.
Removed pressing 'p' to take a tiled screen shot which would cause the game to freeze and appear unresponsive.
Improved overall performance in the pre-game class chooser screen.
Improved the 'faster character select' mode to look less janky.
Death screen damage info now minimizes to a single bar.
Uber employees will now have colored text in all chat boxes rather than just main menu chat.
Added victim names to all kill and assist messages.

Bug Fixes
Fixed major particle emitter client crash.
Fixed Black Jacks from reading "Unset" in the death screen.

Products
Updated several product use sounds.

Bots
Bouncer: Altered the grapple animation for all positions except Enforcers.
Jackbot: Damage Vs Moneyball: 375 -> 250
Jackbot: Bot Damage: 12500 -> 5000

Bullet Gorge Arena
Near final art revisions.

Downtown Spunky Arena
Continued art revisions.

Assassin
Dagger/Sword: Damage 70 -> 65
Cloak: Dagger/Sword Drain: -6 -> -5 (Drains less per hit)
Cloak: Shuriken Drain: -2.25 -> -1.8 (Drains less per hit)
Five Finger Fillet: Fixed minor hair clipping issue

Assault
Grenade Launcher: Fixed grenades rarely doing no damage to the target it hit.

Captain Spark
Voltage Spike: Damage 55 -> 50

Cheston
Banana: Added new falling sound.
Added proper damage icons for the kill stream.

Gunner
Fixed looking down and left on the win podium.

Gunslinger
Lucinda: Damage: 40 -> 50

Sniper
Sniper Rifle: Damage: 50 -> 60
Sniper Rifle: Ammo: 4 -> 6

Tank
Improved face skinning
Fixed looking down and left on the win podium.

Wascot
Crook Hook: Stun now plays a proper animation.
Crook Hook: Stun Duration: 1.5 -> 1
Coin Launcher: Tofu Bacon Slow Time: 1 -> 3
Heart Breaker: Damage: 55 -> 50

commando nerfs all around, especially wascot, but that tofu bacon buff may be good enough to make up for it.

Wthermans

Banned
I'm really not liking the fact that Uber is adding Pros w/o having matchmaking. How can you balance the game when the teams aren't even balanced in the majority of games?

Nice, new pro!

I'm really not liking the fact that Uber is adding Pros w/o having matchmaking. How can you balance the game when the teams aren't even balanced in the majority of games?
Internal playtesting, stat tracking, play between high level teams. I think they've done a pretty good job so far. I have a handful of personal gripes but overall it already feels much more balanced than the first game.

Better matchmaking still should be a high priority, of course.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Have they fixed controller support yet? Tried right before xmas people said it worked but I couldn't get it to work with my 360 pad. (hate playing shooters with a mouse/kb unless I'm sniping or playing a game that's incredibly twitch like CS)

DarkKyo

Old Pros good, new pros are ok for the most part. Wascot just looks terrible though, not a fan of that female sniper either she lacks personality.

Umm.. Well I've actually been playing Super Monday Night Combat for weeks now. I was just asking how the new Pro plays/looks.

Also yes I hate Wascot. Annoying bastard... I main as Captain Spark.

Wthermans

Banned
Nice, new pro!

Internal playtesting, stat tracking, play between high level teams. I think they've done a pretty good job so far. I have a handful of personal gripes but overall it already feels much more balanced than the first game.

Better matchmaking still should be a high priority, of course.

My biggest problem is they're only using higher skill play to balance. I think we've seen that most games themselves aren't balanced so it's going to be hard to get a proper balance of Pros.

My biggest problem is they're only using higher skill play to balance. I think we've seen that most games themselves aren't balanced so it's going to be hard to get a proper balance of Pros.

That's true, although I still think they're doing a pretty good job with the balance for mid-level play. A lot of the recent assassin nerfs seem geared toward the more typical players -- a lot of the higher-skill players thought she was balanced before, from what I've seen.

Are there any specific classes you think are unbalanced? I feel like I can hold my own about the same with any of the pros I'm familiar with.

Wthermans

Banned
That's true, although I still think they're doing a pretty good job with the balance for mid-level play. A lot of the recent assassin nerfs seem geared toward the more typical players -- a lot of the higher-skill players thought she was balanced before, from what I've seen.

Are there any specific classes you think are unbalanced? I feel like I can hold my own about the same with any of the pros I'm familiar with.

If I had to point to one off hand, it would probably be Wascot. His mobility is insane and by Level 6 where you have Off/Def/SS leveled to 3 you can really lay out some damage one on one or in the middle of the chaos. Veteran is another that is kinda difficult to get proper balance due to the way his early game kills can really turn the tide and are almost impossible to stop.

Card Boy

Banned
It appears the guys at Ubernet are giving more keys to people already in the beta. I got 2, i'm saving one for another Gaffer.

First to quote gets the other. Send a PM with your Steam ID after you have quoted.

Card Boy

Banned
Megabeth is OK, but i can't use any of these Pros while playing at 250-300ping. The game really needs Oceanic Australian/New Zealand servers. Even on the South East Asian servers i get the same pings.

Anyway heres a screenie of Megabeth i took, Gunner in the back just stayed in base the whole time spamming his taunt....

ISJs1.jpg

She doesn't have any Voice work so far...

Qatar

Is there anyone who doesn't have this?
I also got 4 invites that are totally useless for me. PM in interested

Top Bottom