• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumours: Durango to be called "Xbox", MS to make X-Surface portable gaming system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robot Pants

Nah I don't see them just calling it Xbox. Xbox is the brand. Just like the newly launched Xbox music. So this will definitely be called "Xbox ____"

My hope is for the Xbox Mortimer

Edit: ok sorry. It's fake. Sanity saved.

Satchel

Banned
It does sound like a fair bet for Microsoft. It also sounds like it will flop as hard as Surface.

Possibly. Won't stop me buying one.

If you look back at the leaked spec sheet, its pretty awesome.

It will actually be the continuation of the 360 console, and I assume MS will discontinue the 360 to try and put more attention on it.

GavinGT

Banned
Possibly. Won't stop me buying one.

If you look back at the leaked spec sheet, its pretty awesome.

It will actually be the continuation of the 360 console, and I assume MS will discontinue the 360 to try and put more attention on it.

I like my 360 just fine, but I have absolutely no interest in a portable model. It just doesn't fit my lifestyle, and I'm sure plenty of other people feel the same. That's not to disparage your purchase intent, though.

Krabardaf

Could see the 720 being called Xbox. I don't think it would be too confusing for consumers.
Now X-Surface sounds a bit dumb.

LeBoef

I really can't see MS going with the name "Xbox". That just doesn't seem like a plausible possibility. It's the same name of a machine that was already released. Like for example if Sony opted to call PS4 just "PlayStation". It would be confused with the 100-million unit selling PlayStation 1, or as it was called at the time the Sony PlayStation. Because it's the same name. Same confusion would happen here.

Xbox 8 or Xbox Infinity is more plausible. Even Xbox 720 to be honest.

yeah. it would be like giving a new car the name of the old. dunno why mercedes sticks to the "e class", as an example... they should have started with "a class" and go through the alphabet. so everybody would know that the "z class" is newer than the "w class".

every time a new "e class" hits the market, i think they re trying to sell me a 90s car for crazy 80.000 €. needs some time to realize they re talking about a 2013 version...

seriously... version numbers are overrated. people will call the 360 the old xbox and the next one the new xbox. after 2 years no one will care about the 360 anymore. and the original one? what person, besides internet nerds, talks about the original xbox in his daily talk so you could mess a discussion up?

a: "oh i bought myself an xbox"
b: "yeah. me too"
a: "games look amazing!"
b: "yes they do! i love burnout 3"
a: "urm? are you talking about the original xbox?"
b: "why yes? you meant the neeeew oneee?"
a,b: "damn you microsoft""

GavinGT

Banned
yeah. it would be like giving a new car the name of the old. dunno why mercedes sticks to the "e class", as an example... they should have started with "a class" and go through the alphabet. so everybody would know that the "z class" is newer than the "w class".

every time a new "e class" hits the market, i think they re trying to sell me a 90s car for crazy 80.000 €. needs some time to realize they re talking about a 2013 version...

seriously... version numbers are overrated. people will call the 360 the old xbox and the next one the new xbox. after 2 years no one will care about the 360 anymore. and the original one? what person, besides internet nerds, talks about the original xbox in his daily talk so you could mess a discussion up?

a: "oh i bought myself an xbox"
b: "yeah. me too"
a: "games look amazing!"
b: "yes they do! i love burnout 3"
a: "urm? are you talking about the original xbox?"
b: "why yes? you meant the neeeew oneee?"
a,b: "damn you microsoft""

Anyone that would be confused by the name reboot wouldn't be buying a $450 console within the first couple years anyways. By the time the price got down to something reasonable, surely they would be exposed to the fact that it's a new console.

"Wii U" is problematic for Nintendo because they're trying to appeal to the casuals who bought Wiis right off the bat.

Rocky

Banned
Well, it sounds kinda interesting. I'm wondering if they'll have an X-Surface app for Windows 8 that would turn the Surface RT or Pro into an X-Surface.

Let`s see:
- Cannot be "Xbox 3", it will be less than PS4.
- Cannot be "Xbox Next" or something, it will be confusing when the next machine is released.
- Cannot be "Xbox 36(insert number here)" like "Xbox 362", it will suggest a minimal increment.
- Cannot be "Xbox 720", people will confuse with the quite outdated 720p video standard, and may imply that the console will only output that max resolution. Similar "Xbox 1080" is risky considering the upcoming rise of 4k resolution.
- Cannot be "Xbox Infinity", there are already lots of products with this name, can be confusing, there is even a new game franchise with it ("Disney Infinity). Even "Xbox Infinite" will be too similar, and also will cause problems to name the generation after.
- Cannot be "Xbox 8", it will fit right now with the Windows 8 brand, but what happens when Windows 9 is released in a pair of years?).

Possibilities: Xbox Loop (sounds silly to me) and... what else?

I am sure MS marketing will come with something clever that we will hate at first but come to love later. Like the "Xbox 360" thing that was quite stupid at the time.

Let`s see:
- Cannot be "Xbox Next" or something, it will be confusing when the next machine is released.
- Cannot be "Xbox 36(insert number here)" like "Xbox 362", it will suggest a minimal increment.
- Cannot be "Xbox 720", people will confuse with the quite outdated 720p video standard, and may imply that the console will only output that max resolution. Similar "Xbox 1080" is risky considering the upcoming rise of 4k resolution.
- Cannot be "Xbox Infinity", there are already lots of products with this name, can be confusing, there is even a new game franchise with it ("Disney Infinity). Even "Xbox Infinite" will be too similar, and also will cause problems to name the generation after.
- Cannot be "Xbox 8", it will fit right now with the Windows 8 brand, but what happens when Windows 9 is released in a pair of years?).

I am sure MS marketing will come with something clever that we will hate at first but come to love later. Like the "Xbox 360" thing that was quite stupid at the time.

I'm really not sure about that.

GlamFM

Banned
Let`s see:

XBOX 360² obviously.

The standout from this article for me is 'Microsoft is working with AMD on the central and graphics processors. The CPU will be 8-core, as previously rumoured, although each core will be running at 1.9GHz instead of the 1.6GHz reported.'

This is the first time I have seen this. But like everything regarding the next Xbox I am taking it with a pinch of salt.

Well based on the theory that the number 4 is bad luck in Japan, it's possible there won't be a PS4 naming convention. So Xbox 3 would be usable.

But it will put the new machine in pair with the current generation PS3. People can confuse both generations, see what this thing was done to WiiU.

Regarding the 4K resolution, it is a wild bet that the machine will not be calle Xbox 1080, but for sure there is a risk to name it that considering that the machine will have a lifespam of a few years. The name may not matter right now, but in a 3-5 years? They have to consider it.

GavinGT

Banned
But it will put the new machine in pair with the current generation PS3. People can confuse both generations, see what this thing was done to WiiU.

Regarding the 4K resolution, it is a wild bet that the machine will not be calle Xbox 1080, but for sure there is a risk to name it that considering that the machine will have a lifespam of a few years. The name may not matter right now, but in a 3-5 years? They have to consider it.

Developers say they're not even targeting 1080p next gen. Carmack predicts 720p, 30 FPS will be standard. Also, next gen will last a little longer than a few years.

GavinGT

Banned
That would be dreadful if true. Enduring 5-8 more years of 720p when 4k tvs will be out. Miserable mess

You can forget about graphically intensive 4k games next gen. It's not happening. Devs will try to appeal to as many people as possible, and they can make a much flashier game at 720p native resolution than at 1080p, much less 4k. The average consumer can't discern image quality, nor will he own a 4k TV.

DBT85

Well based on the theory that the number 4 is bad luck in Japan, it's possible there won't be a PS4 naming convention. So Xbox 3 would be usable.

If you go back a page I was talking to Cartman86 about this issue.

In Japan the PS3 is called "PlayStation Three" and not "PlayStation *Japanese word for three*". The number 4 in and of itself isn't bad luck AFAIK (not like 13 in the West), it's just that the number 4 has two pronunciations in Japanese and one of those sounds like the Japanese for death.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

velociraptor

Developers say they're not even targeting 1080p next gen. Carmack predicts 720p, 30 FPS will be standard. Also, next gen will last a little longer than a few years.

It's far more expensive to create a good looking game at 720p than 1080p.

Imagine quality can make a substantial difference in graphics.

It's why PC games almost look like a generational leap compared to console games.

Dirt 3, Crysis 2, Assassin's Creed 3 etc all blow their console counterparts back to the stone age.

GavinGT

Banned
Microsoft should just call the next Xbox "MSX" in Japan. It would distance them from the toxic Xbox brand, and MSX carries some cache over there.

It's far more expensive to create a good looking game at 720p than 1080p.

I don't follow your logic here. I don't think most people can discern 720p from 1080p, but they can tell when their game runs better in 720p. This is particularly true with consoles, where most people are about 7-10 feet away from their <50" TVs.

stryke

If you go back a page I was talking to Cartman86 about this issue.

In Japan the PS3 is called "PlayStation Three" and not "PlayStation *Japanese word for three*". The number 4 in and of itself isn't bad luck AFAIK (not like 13 in the West), it's just that the number 4 has two pronunciations in Japanese and one of those sounds like the Japanese for death.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You're quite right. They use english for the numbers. People are way to hung up on this superstition "shi"=death business. If they decide to go with another name, I don't think this is one of the main reasons.

So this x-surface thing is aimed at Japan right?

Microsoft doesn't have shitty advertising like Sony. I have yet to meet someone outside my circle that knows vita exist. This will do Waaaayyyy better than vita IMHO.

The best marketing in the world couldn't sell Vita in meaningful numbers, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Same thing with this rumored X-Surface thingie. I'd be surprised if that was true.

Edit: So this is confirmed fake?

I don't like the name of the next xbox:
X-Box (just like the old one, yes I still have this one the good old xbox)
New X-Box (please don't immitate the sux name from Apple)

X-Box Infinity is a great name, lets hope MS chooses this one.
No that's a horrible name. What will its successor be called, Xbox Infinity +1?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
X-Surface supporting both 360 and 720 controllers?

Perhaps the 720 will support 360 controllers as well?

It doesn`t matter the resolution the games will run. It will matter the perception of the avarage Joe will have of the machine. Even if every game will be only 720p, if you name the console Xbox 720 people will think that the machine is not capable of anything higher and will be a negative selling point. Similar to Xbox 1080. I do not even consider that even one game will be produce at 4k resolution in the next generation, but if 4k res enter the collective mind as the best resolution possible, naming the console 1080 will suggest that the machine is not capable of something higher.

My point: every game can be 720p, but not suggest that the machine is limited to that.

ToxicAdam

I knew it was fake because there was no way they could manufacture all that shit and still sell it to you for 400-500 dollars.

GavinGT

Banned
It doesn`t matter the resolution the games will run. It will matter the perception of the avarage Joe will have of the machine. Even if every game will be only 720p, if you name the console Xbox 720 people will think that the machine is not capable of anything higher and will be a negative selling point. Similar to Xbox 1080. I do not even consider that even one game will be produce at 4k resolution in the next generation, but if 4k res enter the collective mind as the best resolution possible, naming the console 1080 will suggest that the machine is not capable of something higher.

My point: every game can be 720p, but not suggest that the machine is limited to that.

I don't think anybody that really follows these things is expecting Microsoft to settle on "Xbox 720" or "Xbox 1080". They're both rubbish names for many reasons. The most likely outcome is that they go with "Xbox *something*" (such as Infinity) or just "Xbox". There won't be a number, because Microsoft is backed into a corner in that regard.

Besides, just for the sake of argument, most consumers don't know that most Xbox 360 games have 720p (or lower) native resolutions. They go into the settings menu and they see 720p or 1080p. Flaunting their next console as 1080p isn't novel at all in their eyes.

Somnid

A gaming tablet is an interesting idea seeing as no current tablet is suitable for gaming. I'm not sure how exactly I'd modify it but the idea I think has some promise. I don't think expecting any sort of cross-play idea is going to go too far especially at the prices we'd expect. Wii U circumvented that issue but a stand-alone won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom