• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

jett

D-Member
After watching some of the Japanese demo footage I'm not sure where all the negativity is coming from. There is some chop during cutscenes, the grass draw-in is closer than on console, some of the textures are blurrier, but otherwise it looks fine to me. Maybe it will look worse in person.

What? The framerate is terrible all round, although it IS especially hideous during cut-scenes. This port is a failure as far as I'm concerned.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Yes, but there was also the last japanes trailer released two days ago that looked horrible, in cut scene.
And also some bad feedbacks from the Japanese 3ds owners that downloaded the demo...
So, let's say that I hope the western demo will be better, so the final game! :)

All I want from this game: when you have an eyepatch on it should disable 3d in first person.

They could actually simulate the effect by showing the eyepatch side as pure black.

It really fucks with your eyes when I've loaded up photos like that on the 3DS. I'm sure Nintendo would be thrilled.

jonno394

Never liked the first version of MGS 3 due to the camera angle you were restricted to, but I liked MGS and MGS 2.

Looking forward to playing the demo though, hope it's good!!

Salaadin

Dumb question: Does this have Peace Walker style gameplay complete with crouch walking, fleshed out CQC, and all the various on screen prompts/indicators or is it more a less a straight copy of MGS3 with reworked controls?

temporary-2.jpg

downloading... :rock:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
both MGS2 and MGS3 on the PS2 has framerate issues.
Oh no, let's not go there.

MGS2 had an incredible framerate on PS2 holding 60 fps the 99% of the time. Bouts of slowdown can occur in areas saturated with particles, but in general, it holds its 60 fps target very well. It's an incredibly smooth game.

MGS3, on the other hand, generally ran at 30 fps. Cutscenes could chop up a bit in some of the more demanding scenes (not present in this 3DS demo) but it managed to hold 30 fps during gameplay most of the time. Some of the more demanding scenes dropped but it wasn't that significant.

The 3DS version runs MUCH slower overall and features a lower level of detail on top of that. The average framerate on 3DS appears to be 20 fps rather than 30 (though this demo is smoother than some of the older footage that had been floating around). I'm also surprised at the reduction in texture quality. The 3DS has MUCH more memory than the PS2 did so I can't figure that one out.

Peff

Cutscene framerate is bad. BAD. Game itself is playable at least, and CCP control scheme is pretty comfortable, so there's that, but the revamped menus don't really seem that helpful.

zoukka

Mmm it's Snake Eater alright. Trying it now and I feel that this is the last game in the universe I want to play on 3DS... well maybe after Starcraft. The 3D effect is nice and gives you a good sense on the enviroment, but the jaggies on every leaf of grass is a killer.

Dumb question: Does this have Peace Walker style gameplay complete with crouch walking, fleshed out CQC, and all the various on screen prompts/indicators or is it more a less a straight copy of MGS3 with reworked controls?

There's prone and new UI indicators for sure. Dunno about the CQC felt pretty much the same to me as the original game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Come on now, the frame rate isn't that bad
Yes it is.

This is a game released for a console from 2000 and it looks and runs slower. The 3DS is capable hardware (as Resident Evil Revelations proves) so I find this port to be unacceptable.

Also keep in mind that the HD collection was just released for $40 which includes MGS2, 3, and Peace Walker all running at 60 fps. They're charging the same price for just MGS3 on 3DS and it looks and runs worse than any previous version. That's not cool.

If you want MGS3 on the go it's better to wait for the MGS Collection on Vita, I think.

The only MGS I've played (for any significant amount of time) is Twin Snakes, and I loved it. Will I enjoy this?
Yes! Even with its technical problems MGS3 is an absolute gem of a game. I can't recommend it enough.

It's just so... ungainly? You need like 3 hands to play it well.

I wonder why they didn't take a leaf out of RE:R's book. This game would feel a lot better if you could use the face buttons for shooting, reloading and switching from FPS to TPS. That doesn't even cover D-pad controls..

They probably should've gone with pre-Subsistence MGS3's camera.

Peff

Hmm, the insanely huge crosshair is bringing this into Twin Snakes territory. Proning makes it easy to avoid enemies while shooting homing tranquilizers. I guess that's why they took out the garish uniforms from PW, so that the challenge is more in actually spotting the enemies.

Top Bottom