• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida responds to PS4 gameplay capture rumor

LiK

http://www.twitter.com/yosp/status/378273407957073921

@yosp: We'd like to keep gamers happy and are considering every possibility regarding PS4's gameplay capture. We'll update you as soon as ready.

Please keep us happy.

What rumor?

The rumor is that, like the PS3, the video signal for the PS4 will always be protected via HDCP, meaning gameplay and audio can't be captured.

This has nothing to do with youtube

It's this:

Basically no third party capturing. Has zero to do with youtube/share button/PS4 built in features

SirLarr

Neo Member
The rumor is that, like the PS3, the video signal for the PS4 will always be protected via HDCP, meaning gameplay and audio can't be captured.

Theres a rumor that PS4 will keep the HDCP on HDMI. So you can't record gameplay due to the HDCP encryption.

EDIT: DAMN beaten

EDIT2: Maybe the OP should be updated with the information what the rumor actually is. Some people don't seem to know about it yet.

HDCP is something that can be disabled via a firmware update, though, correct? I mean, I know they'll have it intact for movies, but they can disable it anytime if it is there, right?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
HDCP never was a problem for recording with capture cards, just use Bandicam or Fraps pointed at the output and presto. That's what I've been doing with PS3.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

It's this:
Basically no third party capturing. Has zero to do with youtube/share button/PS4 built in features

dugdug

Banned
So, I'm ignorant to the HDCP thing. What's the point of its existence? From what I can tell its sole purpose is to annoy everyone.

JohngPR

That response means one of two things:

1. "Hmm, I honestly don't know the answer. I'll do some poking around and find out what's what."

2. "You guys are fucked...for now."

B.O.O.M

Guys pretty sure this has nothing to do with the youtube thing, but as others have pointed out about the HDCP thing

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Companies do deals for things like this, if they are going with someone else other than Youtube people can surely cope.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So, I'm ignorant to the HDCP thing. What's the point of its existence? From what I can tell its sole purpose is to annoy everyone.

It's to circumvent copying Blu-rays by directly recording playback footage.
Why Sony saw it fit to put it over any PS3 output including XMB and games I have no earthly clue.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

It's this:

I really wish people would read the stuff in the OP sometime so stuff like this wouldn't have to be pointed out.

I would think it's definitely in regards to the Youtube capture thing more than the HDCP thing.

The HDCP thing is mostly contained to gaming forums like this, but the Youtube messaging has been spread around.

HDCP was confirmed months ago. And just like the PS3 (which also had HDCP), strippers are common and (relatively) cheap. Inside Games' claim that there's no YouTube export is the horseshit bit.

sangreal

There no longer is any purpose other than to annoy people. HDCP keys were leaked, and it's easier to just rip movies from the bluray. It exists to stop old-style copying like people used to do with a VCR pre-macrovision

QP3

It's this:

So you wouldn't be able to capture like is done today? But instead you would *have* to use the method that is built in?

(Sorry, I don't know much about capturing and what not, I just like to watch them!)

Raistlin

It's up to the game on PS3

You seem to be ignorant of the google, wikipedia, etc thing

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I would think it's definitely in regards to the Youtube capture thing more than the HDCP thing.

The HDCP thing is mostly contained to gaming forums like this, but the Youtube messaging has been spread around.

Youtube has been confirmed multiple times to work via Share button. It's just Machinima spreading around false info. "No youtube uploads!" is a lot more controversial than "HDCP may be enabled on PS4, no capturing." Sad part is, they all know exactly what HDCP is.

well, it had the video, should i just link the video?
The video is just a bunch of misinformation.

Top Bottom