• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: The Nintendo Switch is powered by an Nvidia Tegra X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

senj

Why are the a53s still in there?

Because they don't consume power when they're not being used, and removing them would mean re-laying out the chip, which is an insanely expensive endeavour ($10s or $100s of millions). Why throw money away?

Rodin

But do you realize that is meaningless for those that won't take advantage of its portability? especially when it's advertised as a home console as well

It's a hybrid and it's advertised as such ("the portable home console").

If you're not interested in Nintendo games, you're not supposed to buy this.

Malakai

Because there's more to the price than the processor? It is a tablet after all..

Most of the other components used in the Switch are commoditized. Then it is using a phablet sized 720p screen that doesn't even have great outdoor viewability (IIRC 312 nit u need 400 nits for just okay outdoor viewability).

HD rumble bruh

I haven't tried the HD rumble in person, yet, but I have my doubt that it is worth it.

So I guess Nvidia has to confirm where those 5 man centuries of work come in.

???

???

Because us early adopters will pay for it.

I bet you'll see holiday Switch bundles for $249.

Maybe that is the case.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

The Gamecube had comparable hardware to its contemporaries but the audience wasn't there, so most third parties bailed after the second year of its life.

The Wii had the biggest audience of its generation but third parties didn't bother with it in regards to software.

The Wii U had no hardware power and no audience, so third parties definitely didn't bother with it.

Nintendo suddenly releasing a powerful console doesn't mean that third parties will suddenly flock to it because the audience for Nintendo hardware simply isn't there anymore. Folks want to play Nintendo games, not whatever third parties are offering up.

Damn people still upset about Nintendo hardware specs in 2017? lol

They haven't been chasing "cutting edge tech" since the Gamecube. The Switch is still more powerful than a Wii U, which already has beautiful games. It's fine.

The Shield is $200 and doesn't come with Joy-Cons or anything else that Nintendo has included with the Switch so I guess the $300 price tag makes some sense.

To be fair, it does come with two controllers (IR and standard controller).

A better thing to point to is the screen, internal battery, and the larger internal memory.

NimbusD

Absolutely disgusting. Nintendo really couldn't go for the TX2 to make the Switch not an underpowered piece of trash?

And I'm saying this as a Switch owner. I hope this bombs like the WiiU all over again. Nintendo just can't learn their lesson.
Yeah why can't Nintendo just force a chip that's not ready for production to exist and for the amount of money that makes it's competitive.

Jesus. People get so fucking worked up about nothing. We have a portable that's a bit more powerful than the Wii u. The tx2 wouldn't change that fact.

Newboi

I'm hard pressed to think Nintendo going with the TX1 instead of the TX2 wasn't a financial decision rather than a timing issue.

Nintendo has generally stuck with the concept of not losing money on hardware sold. Keeping the the cost of the Switch at $300, while maintaining profitability, probably influenced the selection of the TX1. I think Nintendo wanting a fast turnaround on the switch pushed them to go with Nvidia for a chip in the first place.

Edit: On a side note, I Nvidia game stream will be brought to the switch with the advent of it being jailbroken. I would love to stream my PC games on the switch. I would buy it in a heart beat if I could do that.

There must be something they could do with them though. Is there any reason the OS couldn't run on them instead of reserving a core (or whatever) of the main CPU?

Not really. The point is they're not 'chunky' when it comes to CPU power.

I was more thinking of offloading the OS from one of the a57 cores meaning 33% more CPU for games (which I'd consider chunky) but seems they cant be used

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm hard pressed to think Nintendo going with the TX1 instead of the TX2 was a financial decision rather than a timing issue.

Nintendo has generally stuck with the concept of not losing money on hardware sold. Keeping the the cost of the Switch at $300, while maintaining profitability, probably influenced the selection of the TX1. I think Nintendo wanting a fast turnaround on the switch pushed them to go with Nvidia for a chip.

There's no small device on the market using a TX2 yet. It might just not be usable for what Nintendo wanted.

Oregano

To be fair, it does come with two controllers (IR and standard controller).

A better thing to point to is the screen, internal battery, and the larger internal memory.

and more RAM too.

There must be something they could do with them though. Is there any reason the OS couldn't run on them instead of reserving a core (or whatever) of the main CPU?

Not really. The point is they're not 'chunky' when it comes to CPU power.

I don't think they can be active at the same time.

But do you realize that is meaningless for those that won't take advantage of its portability? especially when it's advertised as a home console as well

Boo hoo, every console has features some people won't use.

It's the same story with a lot of things "why did they not use the latest X or Y" it's because they saved money going with the slightly older chipset, ouya did the same thing going with an OC tegra 3 instead of the current at the time newer tegra 4.

Also remember that the Switch is not using the full power of the X1 for what ever reasons, heat, battery, customization? either way the switch could push more if allowed.

I'm happy that we have a X1 portable, I always wanted a shield tv because of how powerful they can be but then nintendo came along.

Elios83

It was obvious, nVidia doesn't make truly custom parts, they are only interested in selling their off the schelves components at a high price. Hence why generally they're not a good partner for console manufactures as proven by past history with Microsoft and Sony.

I think that those disappointed by the tech need to remember what the Switch actually is. It is a tablet computer. This image has the joy-cons still attached so it's actually even smaller than it appears to be here.

The Switch is absolutely tiny so when people say it's somewhere between Wii U and Xbox One that is a pretty great accomplishment. Sure it could be powered by a Tegra X2 but I'm sure that would have bumped up the price seeming as the processor isn't the only component of the Switch. There's the bundled joy-cons, the screen, the battery and various other parts. Sounds like Nintendo got a good deal on the X1 so I imagine anything more powerful would have bumped up the retail price.

3199076-img_8820.jpg

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I was more thinking of offloading the OS from one of the a57 cores meaning 33% more CPU for games but seems they cant be used

They can be used, just not at the same time as any of the A57 cores, so if you could run the OS off them you could switch off the A57's, run the O/S off the A53's and benefit from a saving in power consumption due to the difference in power requirements of the core types, this is why the big.LITTLE design exists in the first place.

Unfortunately unlike other mobile devices, the Switch spends most of it's time requiring the beefier A57 cores, so the gains from switching are minimal, hence their likely lack of use.

senj

You folks know that the Tegra X2 isn't so much "more powerful" as it is "differently focused on automotive workloads", right?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sure, 200 dollar box plugged into the tv with a pro controller would work for me.

Ah, a rejigged box.

I'm sure they considered going down that route when merging console and handheld development, but the Vita/VitaTV combo hardly set the world on fire.

The Switch's concept is great, it does change how you play and wouldn't be grabbing attention in the way it is if it was just yet another box sat under the television. It wasn't made for you clearly, but they made the right call.

Seik

Banned
It's the same story with a lot of things "why did they not use the latest X or Y" it's because they saved money going with the slightly older chipset, ouya did the same thing going with an OC tegra 3 instead of the current at the time newer tegra 4.

Also remember that the Switch is not using the full power of the X1 for what ever reasons, heat, battery, customization? either way the switch could push more if allowed.

I'm happy that we have a X1 portable, I always wanted a shield tv because of how powerful they can be but then nintendo came along.

Yep, I can deal with the X1 without any problem, custom or not. I mean, I played with the Switch and no matter what the chipset inside is, I still enjoyed it! :lol

The thing is that they proclaimed that it was a customized chip, which is shady imo.

Peltz

Ehh... I would feel the same. Nvidia said themselves its a customized Tegra, which is not the case and this is revealed after launch day so some people didn't even knew what they bought. This is misleading advertising. It is no joke. My question: How can you NOT be outrageous about this?!

Because I didn't buy the Switch based on Nvidia's statement? I bought it because it has Nintendo games and I like the form-factor.

That's my honest answer.

Leatherface

Honestly I really do love my Switch but this bothers me. All that bullshit about being a custom chip and all the man hours used to create it. I think Nvidia and Nintendo have some hard questions to answer. I feel duped. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom