• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your most disliked Mario game?

jadedm17

New Super Mario Bros U.
And Luigi U.

I hate the art style so damn much.

I made a run on the 3DS game but portability helped.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Did I hear Yoshi's Cookie lol?...I wouldn't call that a Mario game.

My vote goes to New Super Mario Bros. on the Wii, although it was still tons of fun.

Raide

New Super Mario Bros. Played coop with some friends and it was one of the most frustrating and swear inducing coop game we have ever played. Such a poorly thought out mode. IMO of course.

Shifty

Sunshine. The shines just become so formulaic and repetitive after a few worlds.

Never played the New series, but the pah-pah generation of Nintendo music can take a long walk off a short pier.

Darhkwing

Mario 3D World is under rated!

truth be told, it's an easy game but it has some nice level design.

I finished Odyssey a couple weeks back and restarted 3d world. I actually think 3d world is better for level design. Odyssey is a nice open world but by god does it get repetitive.

Cat Mario potentially is one of the better power ups lately.

I also loved the fact that world, upon world just kept opening up. Something i was looking forward to with Odyssey but nope, apart from the the retro kingdom the other kingdoms are a let down.

In any case, worst mario? Not sure, if we talking official i wasn't the biggest fan of NSMB 1 or 2. I wasn't a fan of 3D Land either, too short for my liking.

homelol

Neo Member
SUPER MARIO LAND 3, a lot of treasures to search, the story affects on layout's level... so good. Other great game is Donkey Kong 94 for GB....

Pejo

The Galaxy series. I just hated them. Maybe it was the planetoid focused level design or the semi waggle/pointy controls, but I just couldn't stand them.

I even like Super Mario Land for the OG Gameboy better than them.

I find the NSMB series incredibly bland, though I still enjoyed NSMBU enough to finish it. They play well enough; the issue is that there's next to no creativity.

For me, there's a runaway winner here.

Super Paper Mario.

The fact that it's the successor to two of the greatest RPG's ever is appalling. It's a mediocre game, and an absymal Mario/Nintendo game.

SaikyoBro

There aren't many Mario games I've actively thought "this isn't remotely fun" for long while playing them but Sticker Star did a pretty great job of that. The people who badmouth that game really aren't doing a lot of exaggerating.

In defense of the NSMB games, try to look at them in context - NSMB was the long-awaited revival of 2D Mario, NSMB Wii introduced 4-player simultaneous co-op for the first time... it wasn't until 2 and U that there really wasn't any kind of hook at all (boring excessive coin gimmick notwithstanding), and I think it really didn't help that they both came out the same year. Even then, that was five years ago at this point. The optimist in me really thinks whenever they go back to NSMB they'll have enough fresh ideas to change some minds.

New Super Mario Bros 2 on 3DS. It was so fucking boring, there was just nothing that gives you that sort of "giddy" feeling Mario games tend to give you when they really hit their stride. It was just a borefest.

I did really like Sunshine though, too bad so many people aren't very fond of it.

Only played a handful but the original galaxy was probably my least favourite. Great game but doesn’t hold up to 3, world, 64 and odyessy. Played a bit of sunshine but not enough to have a valid opinion.

tkscz

NSMB series. They are so fucking bland from their uninspired graphics to their really obnoxious music. It's such a "safe" Mario that it makes itself worse than a bad one. It feels like one of those rip-off Mario platformers from the 16-bit era and Mario should never feel like that. And they try to pawn them off as some sort of sequels to the Mario Bros. series.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Jesus... what a tough one....

Even though I loved it still I have to say maybe Mario Bros. The one with Mario and Luigi and the pipes.. it's pretty damn good but the other games are better..

Haven't played the really bad ones, like the CDi game..so I can't speak on that..

Yoshi's Island I think, hated crying mario
Then I guess Oot is bad because of Navi.

Saying you hate a game because of one annoying feature is just silly as fuck. Why not just call the entire game "Overrated" because Baby Mario was enough to diminish the games merits, such as its beautiful graphics, pushing the rebellious spirit ofanything at the time when games were starting to run 3D models, or how about the epic final battle with Baby Bowser? You shouldn't hate a game just because there is that one character that's annoying. That's remarkably stupid.

Oh and btw, you just suck at Yoshi's Island. The game is easier than Super Mario World, so git gud scrub.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Mario Sunshine

never mind it being the last of the 3D Mario games i tried. it was just an exercise in frustration. i remember chasing around that guy in the start and being completely unable to catch him and running in circles thinking "this is pointless". i remember the game opening with a long unskippable cutscene where Mario gets arrested and goes to court and then gets thrown in jail and thinking "really?" just something about the game rubs me the wrong way. even the way Mario has his sleeves rolled up for some reason. doesn't feel right.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Then I guess Oot is bad because of Navi.

Saying you hate a game because of one annoying feature is just silly as fuck. Why not just call the entire game "Overrated" because Baby Mario was enough to diminish the games merits, such as its beautiful graphics, pushing the rebellious spirit ofanything at the time when games were starting to run 3D models, or how about the epic final battle with Baby Bowser? You shouldn't hate a game just because there is that one character that's annoying. That's remarkably stupid.

Oh and btw, you just suck at Yoshi's Island. The game is easier than Super Mario World, so git gud scrub.
Umm ok then ? Wtf haha. I'm glad you get to decide what I get to like or dislike a game for.

Welcome to the forums... I guess?

Worst of all I played with Mario licence - Mario is missing
Worst official (1st or 2nd party) - Mario pinball land
Worst mainline - NSMB 2 (3DS one)

Hinedorf

Banned
Can't lie, for me it's Mario Odyssey. Game felt tedious like a game with nothing to do but collect stuff kind of like Spiderman only Spiderman made it fun.

Didn't like the hat gimmick, would've rather taken another Galaxy game. I'm probably in the minority here

Orta

Banned
64. The godawful n64 controller sucked the joy out of it for me. Completely ruined every level of the game.

Have tried it through emulation since, using proper controllers but the damage was done.

Shame.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Out of the ones I played it would definitely be Lost Levels. The difficulty level just feels like trolling and it really has no good qualities imo. 64 is also definitely up there, I don’t hate it but just strongly dislike it due mostly to how bad the controls are.

Last edited by a moderator:

PocoJoe

Banned
Odyssey were worst game in years, just super boring and repetitive.

I havent liked any 3D mario, but had to choose one.

Top Bottom