• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku(Jan23): Have official Orbis docs; Devkit: PS4- 8GBRAM,2.2GBVRAM, Controller

No one has been creating a new topic but this definitely deserves a new thread.

Source of documentation is Durango-seller extraordinaire, SuperDAE

edit: These are specs for the dev kit and not the console

Kotaku said:
"British site CVG speculated last week that, because they'd heard the PS4's controller was "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita", that meant it would feature a touch screen. Instead, the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button."

We'll begin with the specs. And before we go any further, know that these are current specs for a PS4 development kit, not the final retail console itself. So while the general gist of the things you see here may be similar to what makes it into the actual commercial hardware, there's every chance some—if not all of it—changes, if only slightly.

That being the case, here's what we know is inside PS4 development kits—model # DVKT-KS000K—as of January 2013. As you'll see, some things have changed since earlier kits became available in March 2012.

System Memory: 8GB
Video Memory: 2.2 GB
CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (so, 8x cores)
GPU: AMD R10xx
Ports: 4x USB 3.0, 2x Ethernet
Drive: Blu-Ray
HDD: 160GB
Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels

Way more at: http://kotaku.com/5977849/the-plays...ncy-user-accounts-and-impressive-specs-so-far

This is specific information for a development kit.. not final specs. Kotaku mentions this in the article, and i think it's worth clarifying in the OP (updated above ^) . The final specs will likely be different.

"We'll begin with the specs. And before we go any further, know that these are current specs for a PS4 development kit, not the final retail console itself." - Kotaku

BearPawB

Banned
I did. it is still a strange amount of Vram. Not impossible or anything, but memory often comes in 1024mb multipliers. 256, 512, 1024, 2048 etc.

i was talking about your comment about the ethernet ports. lazy quoting by me
"And don't worry about having two ethernet ports; as this is a dev kit, one is there for local sharing/testing purposes"

"British site CVG speculated last week that, because they'd heard the PS4's controller was "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita", that meant it would feature a touch screen. Instead, the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button."

Called it!

GMM

Banned
Why exactly would it have 2.2gb video memory? Pretty strange number to throw around when 2048mb is a more standard set-up and most likely cheaper to buy in bulk.

That said, if it has 10gb of memory (8 gb for system and 2gb for the GPU), developers will be in for quite a treat and have enough local memory for quite some time.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
System Memory: 8GB
Video Memory: 2.2 GB
CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (so, 8x cores)

Interestingly, while some of these specs (such as the 8x core CPU) match with those reported by Digital Foundry only a few days ago, others like the RAM (DF reported 4GB of GDDR5, while we've heard 8GB) differ.

Dev kit specs vs final specs that Eurogamer reported?

The controller stuff is cool though, very interested to see how it is designed.

Lots more info in the article, like on the controller. Holy crap this thing is a monster.
The source is:
, a hive of more than 90 PDFs about the forthcoming console. The details of the files were shared with Kotaku by an individual known as SuperDae, the same person who last year attempted to sell a pair of next-gen Xbox development kits on eBay.
so unless this dude faked 90+ PDF files this is probably legit

Pooya

One application we learned about for this feature would be that, were four players in a co-op battle able to defeat a boss, then all four would receive trophies.

We only learned of this feature in relation to local accounts stored on the console itself. It's unclear whether you'd also be able to do this via the PlayStation Network if you were playing online.

I don't play local coop much, but.. can't you do this already?

Derrick01

Banned

Called it!

Oh god that's the worst gimmick on the Vita...

Waaghals

i was talking about your comment about the ethernet ports. lazy quoting by me
"And don't worry about having two ethernet ports; as this is a dev kit, one is there for local sharing/testing purposes"

That makes sense, thanks for clearing that up. Still not buying this rumor tough.

Mindlog

Called it!
I am being teased.

Breakthrough! A button where your goddamn hands are.
Really? That same stupid archaic shell again.

Oh god that's the worst gimmick on the Vita...
Seriously. Can you imagine the launch games, trying to force you into using it? It's going to be ugly, folks.

Once they realize it's not a very effective way to garner player inputs (also, what the hell is so wrong with just buttons?), the games will be much better.

Does it seem like Sony NEVER learns from their mistakes? The SIXAXIS was a worthless gimmick, and died extremely quickly. Don't waste money on this, Sony.

omonimo

Banned
From what I remember DF article about Orbis leaked the specs of dev kit but talks concretely of Orbis hardware too, so isn't it a huge news, to be honest not seems even a news.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm, 90 PDFs but no target specs as opposed to dev kit specs?

The dev kit video memory is strange as already mentioned, but also, what is a 'AMD R10xx'?

superdae is also kinda full of shit, so, yeah.

he also has a twitter account, and presumably could be traced down. and from the hacking stuff, sony likes suing people.

it could well be real info, i just dont think the specs are what will be in the final, obviously.

but yeah, no detail on the gpu and stuff either.

doesnt necessarily jive with recent reports that ps4 dev kits are improving. if anything on the surface this sounds more powerful than rumored ps4 specs, not less.

Derrick01

Banned
Seriously. Can you imagine the launch games, trying to force you into using it? It's going to be ugly, folks.

Once they realize it's not a very effective way to garner player inputs (also, what the hell is so wrong with just buttons?), the games will be much better.

Does it seem like Sony NEVER learns from their mistakes? The SIXAXIS was a worthless gimmick, and died extremely quickly. Don't waste money on this, Sony.

This is what happens when there's such an obsession with input gimmicks in this industry. Sony half-assed the sixaxis but that didn't harm anyone in the end. Now they're going all in and we're going to get rear-touch pad v.2. I just hope this time they don't take away the second set of shoulder buttons.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
a 90 page PDF and all they talk about is the devkit; a PC shipped out with developer overheads in mind.

either kotaku have colossal struggles with reading comprehension or that's 90 pages of a whole lot of nothing.

and is bulldozer the same as jaguar or better?

magnitudes better and a near impossibility given its power requirements.

GavinGT

Banned
Those details sound incredibly vague coming from someone who claims to have possession of over 90 PDFs worth of information. Basically it says there's a clickable touchpad and multiple users can log in at once (exactly like on Xbox).

I am unconvinced, and doubly so given that this is Kotaku we're talking about. They don't even specify whether they have the documents or the leaker is feeding them bits of information from them. And how do they know this guy is who he claims to be?

and is bulldozer the same as jaguar or better?

better.

but also a whole lot more power sucking and hot. imo you really wouldn't want one in a console.

its fairly reasonable that bd might be in a dev kit and jag in final. same vendor, probably vaguely similar architecture and all that. sony might have decided to go with jag more recently. 4 bd cores would run 8 threads, emulating a 8 core cpu. etc etc.

spwolf

superdae is also kinda full of shit, so, yeah.

he also has a twitter account, and presumably could be traced down. and from the hacking stuff, sony likes suing people.

it could well be real info, i just dont think the specs are what will be in the final, obviously.

but yeah, no detail on the gpu and stuff either.

doesnt necessarily jive with recent reports that ps4 dev kits are improving. if anything on the surface this sounds more powerful than rumored ps4 specs, not less.

uh, nobody but sony knows final specs, all that rumors are is trying to figure it out from old dev kits, and this is new dev kit... which means those rumors are old and this is new... and that jives well with Sony upgrading PS4.

Top Bottom