• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

blurrygil

SHAZOOM said:
Let's not mention the evil that is Down Town street parking. I want a decent train/monorail that goes into downtown area as soon as possible, so everybody in the Seattle Metro area can just leave the cars at home. Wishful thinking, yes, but its something that needs to happen.

Just went to Serious Pie on Virginia and 3rd. Pretty good pizzas, if a bit more gourmet than what I would usually go for. Have we mentioned comic shops? Because Zanadu is just across the street from Serious Pie. The layout hasn't really changed all that much, but I heard that Zanadu 2 in the UD is switching over to a Comic Stop soon.

Serious is good stuff.

I was at Zanadu for Free Comic Book Day. The gf picked up some Axe Cop prints, which was awesome. Not awesome? The free screening passes we used to see "Priest". Absolutely dreadful.

As much of a tourist trap as it is, I prefer Golden Age because of their massive selection of alternative board games and CCGs. I grew up shopping there as a kiddo. And it's still brilliant to this day...minus all the tween tourists, annoying parents and screaming children. :-/

SHAZOOM said:
Let's not mention the evil that is Down Town street parking. I want a decent train/monorail that goes into downtown area as soon as possible, so everybody in the Seattle Metro area can just leave the cars at home. Wishful thinking, yes, but its something that needs to happen

Yeah, I can't wait until the light rail gets up to the north side so I can take it.

Then again, the bus works just fine too.

Sumidor

What's some good, chill bars in Seattle? I was up there a few weeks ago and went to Whiskey Bar. The selection was top notch, but the prices were higher than i'm used to. Also the seating sucks and most tables were pretty small.

Sumidor said:
What's some good, chill bars in Seattle? I was up there a few weeks ago and went to Whiskey Bar. The selection was top notch, but the prices were higher than i'm used to. Also the seating sucks and most tables were pretty small.

Do you like beer? Latona Pub, Brouwers, Beveridge Place Pub, Stumbling Monk, Bierstube and Prost are all great.

Sumidor

distantmantra said:
Do you like beer? Latona Pub, Brouwers, Beveridge Place Pub, Stumbling Monk, Bierstube and Prost are all great.
Not really.. There's like a beer fest every month here, and I have to save my appetite for beer during those.

Also, my next trip up will include an M's game, and I tend to only drink beer there.

SKINNER!

Banned
I visited Seattle for the first time back in 2009 and fell in love with the city. People were great, lots of stuff to do and the roads were incredibly clean. It was so so modern. People love to complain about the rain too. I wouldn't mind buying a holiday home or something once I start earning enough money to do so.
I'm going back this August/September (PAX) for a week and a half and I can't wait. Will be keeping an eye on this thread for any interesting tips/places. :)

d+pad

platypotamus said:
Mighty O > Top Pot

I know you said this two months ago, but I'm responding to it now just so I can agree with you :)

Honestly, I don't get why most people seem to prefer Top Pot. They make, what, plain raised and plain and chocolate cake doughnuts -- admittedly with a few different toppings? Pfft. Mighty O makes plain and chocolate and chocolate mint and chocolate raspberry and chocolate peanut butter and french toast (!!!), etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd take a Mighty O doughnut over a Top Pot one, if given the choice :)

dubc35

Sumidor said:
Also, my next trip up will include an M's game, and I tend to only drink beer there.
$8 beer night! lol

distantmantra said:
Latona rules, ate there last night in fact.

blurrygil

distantmantra said:

The Monk and Beveridge I can vouch for. Good places. The Dray in Ballard is pretty token to what you were asking for...wicked laid back (except on Sounders matchdays).

The Atlantic Crossing is a brilliant english pub in Ravenna. Great food (english) and great pints. George & Dragon is ok, a bit big. But they're okay. (They'd be more than okay if the owners weren't jackasses about wanting to kick out ManU supporters, which I am one of, on important matchdays).

Downtown, you've got the Owl n Thistle and Kells. Both are going to be busy, however. But both pour good, cheap pints. Also Shultzy's Sausage in U-District has good pints and amazing food.

There's a few off the top of my head...

dLMN8R

Kell's =/= chill. But it's fun!

Well, Kell's can be pretty chill before 10:30-ish, especially if you go into the second dining area instead of the main bar/stage area. But it gets crazy and crazy-busy everywhere later at night.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
blurrygil said:
The Monk and Beveridge I can vouch for. Good places. The Dray in Ballard is pretty token to what you were asking for...wicked laid back (except on Sounders matchdays).

The Atlantic Crossing is a brilliant english pub in Ravenna. Great food (english) and great pints. George & Dragon is ok, a bit big. But they're okay. (They'd be more than okay if the owners weren't jackasses about wanting to kick out ManU supporters, which I am one of, on important matchdays).

Downtown, you've got the Owl n Thistle and Kells. Both are going to be busy, however. But both pour good, cheap pints. Also Shultzy's Sausage in U-District has good pints and amazing food.

There's a few off the top of my head...

I love the George & Dragon, but then again, I'm not a ManU supporter.

I'll have to check out The Atlantic Crossing one of these days. This is the first I've heard of it.

Zefah said:
I'll have to check out The Atlantic Crossing one of these days. This is the first I've heard of it.

It's one of the big soccer bars in Seattle. Once summer break from work started, I watched a lot of the World Cup games there last year, since it's just a short walk from my house. ESPN was actually filming there for one of the USA games.

And right around the corner is Teddy's, the biggest hockey bar in the city.

distantmantra said:
It's one of the big soccer bars in Seattle. Once summer break from work started, I watched a lot of the World Cup games there last year, since it's just a short walk from my house. ESPN was actually filming there for one of the USA games.

The Algeria game, when Donovan scored in the 91st minute or whatever to keep us alive for another game. The footage of the crowd reaction was all over the TV, even showed it on the Daily Show.

Raguel

Hey, Seattle GAF. I'm in Seattle for a week and would like recommendations for things to do with my nephews. Specifically, what's the best places to visit such as parks, restaurants, markets, etc?

Here's what I have planned so far:
-Columbia Tower
-Pike Market
-Aquarium
-The Space Needle
-Japanese Garden in the Botanica Garden
-Waterfall Garden
-Maybe some Museums
-Troll in freemont

I would like to know what else is fun to visit, such as parks, mountain trails, beaches, etc. And maybe some bars/clubs for me.

How old are the Nephews? Right by the Space Needle is a science museum, sci-fi museum, and the rock and roll museum, which might all go down pretty well if they are the right age.

You've got some decent stuff there...

If you don't have time, and want to skip something.. the troll in Fremont is really not all that interesting.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Speaking of bars, I think I spent 99% of my drinking time at the nocnoc. There was an unofficial agreement between the employees there and the ones where I worked in which they got in free at the club, and we got in free at their bar. I loved that it was a goddamn freakshow and you never knew if someone was going to get stabbed, shot, beaten up, or arrested out front.

On a lighter note, that children's museum by the space needle is awesome.

Gaspode_T

Snoqualmie Falls is nice if you don't mind driving 45 mins to an hour to get there. Alki Beach has some great views of downtown Seattle from the other side of the water.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
SolKane said:
how's the public transit in Seattle? Can you get by without a car in most neighborhoods? What about biking?

Supposedly the city's bus and rail systems aren't up to snuff compared to some larger cities, but for what it's worth, I've been here for 16 months and have needed to take a vehicle of some sort around 30 times total.

SolKane said:
how's the public transit in Seattle? Can you get by without a car in most neighborhoods? What about biking?

It really depends on your area. Some are much easier to access than others. The more populated areas are pretty easy to get to and from wherever though.

It's definitely not up to par with some of the eastcoast cities but it could certainly be a lot worse.

Shouta

Bus funding got cut years ago and they reduced the number running to compensate which is a shame. At one point, Metro was one of the best around as I recall.

Raguel

Thanks you all for the suggestions. Will definitely take them to the museums by the Needle. And Pink Gorilla. The nephews are 3 and 10 years of age.

Raguel said:
Thanks you all for the suggestions. Will definitely take them to the museums by the Needle. And Pink Gorilla. The nephews are 3 and 10 years of age.

Maybe skip the rock and roll museum then, not sure if they'd enjoy that. The science museum has cool kids stuff though. My in-laws take their 2 and 5 year olds pretty frequently

dekjo

Posting this year in case there are any locals who want to join but aren't going to PAX (and therefore not checking that thread).

blurrygil said:
Official PAX GAF Meet-up: 2011 Edition

Saturday night (Aug 27th), 10pm @
Taphouse Grill
1506 6th Ave.

*Literally a block away from PAX:

Taphouse.jpg

CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE TAPHOUSE WEBSITE

PAXmeetup.jpg

Will update with more details. Figured Taphouse is close enough, won't be as busy and has a brilliant choice of drink and food. Suggestions are welcome!

blurrygil

Arise my dying thread!

I felt giving this a good bump and hope some local GAF subscribe in order to stay in touch, thanks to PAX this past weekend. For those I've had the pleasure of meeting recently, let's post away on happenings, etc. Perhaps (with my newly found Member powers!) I'll create a new OT for good places to game, updated happenings, etc. But until then, we've still got this thread.

The next big "local" thing for me is the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in about 3 weeks! I'll update this with a link to the OT. But the show is gonna be AWESOME this year. 2.5x larger than last year...and last year was pretty epic.

Not sure if I'm hitting Bumbershoot, however.

Anyways, keep it real lads.

coldvein

Banned
i haven't even really checked the bumbershoot lineup too closely, but i've got a ticket for monday. hall and oates bitches.

Chichikov

Bumbershoot is one of the worst run American festivals I have ever been to.
Lineup is pretty bad this year too.
Though I do feel the urge to get fucked up and go see Hall & Oats; YACHT ROCK BABY!!!!

But man, have you guys seen the DBFestival lineup this year?
Man, I did not expect it to be this good, considering past years lineups.

UMrLI.jpg

coldvein said:
hall and oates bitches.
I'll see you at the mosh pit.
Yes, there will be a Hall & Oats mosh pit, I will make it happen.

Chichikov

platypotamus said:
So odd that you say that when Bumbershoot is literally the only music festival that I've enjoyed enough to go to every year.
To each his own.
In my mind it has way too many lines, too many people, generally bad sound, and a really bad layout.

I still go almost every year though...

dekjo

Chichikov said:
To each his own.
In my mind it has way too many lines, too many people, generally bad sound, and a really bad layout.

I still go almost every year though...
Haven't gone to Bumbershoot the last few years since PAX has been on Labor Day weekend. But the last few times I went, didn't enjoy it much because of the same issues listed above along with just not being impressed with the lineups.

coldvein

Banned
dekjo said:
Haven't gone to Bumbershoot the last few years since PAX has been on Labor Day weekend. But the last few times I went, didn't enjoy it much because of the same issues listed above along with just not being impressed with the lineups.

yeah, the lineup is nothing too special. i just got a cheap ticket for my day off, so i'm gonna do my best to rock it.

dafinezt

Banned
Chichikov said:
Bumbershoot is one of the worst run American festivals I have ever been to.
Lineup is pretty bad this year too.
Though I do feel the urge to get fucked up and go see Hall & Oats; YACHT ROCK BABY!!!!

But man, have you guys seen the DBFestival lineup this year?
Man, I did not expect it to be this good, considering past years lineups.

http://i.imgur.com/UMrLI.jpg[IMG]

I'll see you at the mosh pit.
Yes, there will be a Hall & Oats mosh pit, I will make it happen.[/QUOTE]

200$ price tag makes me sad. I don't know who most of those guys are but I'd pay an arm and a leg to go and see Amon Tobin fuuuuuuck :(

I wouldn't mind seeing Broken Social Scene again, but I think I'll just hang out at home and around Greenlake.

Man, I remember when Bumbershoot was super cheap. Hell, it used to be free when I was a kid.

blurrygil

dekjo said:

I generally just don't care for it. It no longer carries the same local and intimate flavor it used to when I was a teen. It's now just one bloody oversized "fest".

distantmantra said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Broken Social Scene again, but I think I'll just hang out at home and around Greenlake.

Man, I remember when Bumbershoot was super cheap. Hell, it used to be free when I was a kid.

And this.

FreeMufasa said:
I love Seattle. It and San Francisco are where i'd like to live if I ever move to the US.

Electro and funky house capital of the WORLD, mate!!! GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Chichikov

dafinezt said:
200$ price tag makes me sad. I don't know who most of those guys are but I'd pay an arm and a leg to go and see Amon Tobin fuuuuuuck :(
You can buy tickets to individual events.
That show is 30$.

But do note that it's in the fucking Paramount (I'm still going, it's Amon fucking Tobin, but the venue pisses me off).

blurrygil said:
Electro and funky house capital of the WORLD, mate!!! GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)
Sarcasm?
Yeah, got to be sarcasm.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Chichikov said:
But do note that it's in the fucking Paramount (I'm still going, it's Amon fucking Tobin, but the venue pisses me off).

I've haven't been there before.. What's wrong with the Paramount?

Top Bottom