• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark application for Nintendo 64 controller and more

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
n643csrs.png

On July 18, 2017, Nintendo Co., Ltd. filed in Europe via the European Union Intellectual Property Office four figurative trademark applications related to various game controllers. The applications are as follows:

No. 016991325 - Nintendo 64 controller
No. 016997637, NES controller
No. 016997652, SNES controller
No. 016997702, Nintendo Switch controller

They are all registered under the same goods and services:

9 Telecommunication machines and apparatus; Electronic storage media recorded with programs for computers; Electronic storage media recorded with programs for consumer video game apparatus; Electronic storage media recorded with programs for arcade video game machines; Electronic storage media recorded with programs for handheld electronic game apparatus; Electronic storage media recorded with programs for smartphones; Cases for smartphones; Controllers and joysticks for cell phones; Parts and accessories for cell phones; Controllers and joysticks for computers; Computer peripheral devices; Battery chargers; Rechargeable batteries; Integrated circuit card; Earphones for consumer video game apparatus; Earphones for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Microphones for consumer video game apparatus; Microphones for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays.

28 Consumer video game apparatus; Parts and accessories for consumer video game apparatus; Controllers and joysticks for consumer video game apparatus; Cases for controllers for consumer video game apparatus; Protective films for controller of consumer video game apparatus; Arcade video game machines; Parts and accessories for arcade video game machines; Handheld electronic game apparatus; Parts and accessories for handheld electronic game apparatus; Controllers and joysticks for handheld electronic game apparatus; Cases for controllers for handheld electronic game apparatus; Protective films for liquid crystal displays for handheld electronic game apparatus; Card game toys and their accessories; Amusement machines and apparatus for use in amusement parks; Game machines and apparatus; Sports equipment; Toys; Toys with built-in chips.
To me, based on the goods and services, this seems more related to a Classic Edition/Mini console of Nintendo 64 and other systems (part from Nintendo Switch) than Virtual Console. A Nintendo 64 Classic Edition I think is only a natural development following its predecessors receiving such treatment.

Searched but found no prior thread on this.

Phoenixus

If you can't get Goldeneye and the other Rare games on there Nintendo, there isn't much point in an N64 mini.

However much I would love one with a good N64 emulator.

TannerDemoz

I hope none of these consoles end up effecting the titles that are released on the Switch in the future. I want me some portable N64 games.

Either way, this is cool – really hope Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is on here (GOAT platformer)

What would be the situation with having Goldeneye / certain RARE titles on here. Is there anything they can't touch?

Spy

If the N64 Mini is coming, I fear were not getting Virtual Console for a long time. At least anything beyond NES.

If the N64 Mini is coming, I fear were not getting Virtual Console for a long time. At least anything beyond NES.

Yeah seriously, I want to buy these games on this new portable console thingy they've been selling. Not a small stationary box.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The N64 mini is the one I have been waiting for, so fuck yea!

Now please Nintendo, cosy up to Microsoft so we can have GoldenEye, Banjo and Perfect Dark on it. Get MS drunk and get talking about how much you hate Sony, that should work.

N64 mini without Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Banjo-Kazooie?

Eh, ok.

It would be missing some big ones alright, but there's still more than enough games without Rare to justify it's existence.

Persona7

Banned
The N64 mini is the one I have been waiting for, so fuck yea!

Now please Nintendo, cosy up to Microsoft so we can have GoldenEye, Banjo and Perfect Dark on it. Get MS drunk and get talking about how much you hate Sony, that should work.

Nintendo already shat on microsoft when they wanted to release Goldeneye HD. Highly doubt Goldeneye will ever be re-released on any platform.

I'm not (really) hating on the N64 library here, but what would even be on this?
Mario 64
Both Zeldas
DK64
Wave Race 64
Smash Bros
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
Up to 3 Mario Party games
Kirby 64
Yoshi
Pokémon (either Snap, or Stadium 2 if you could connect it to the 3DS VC)
F-Zero X

What good 3rd party stuff would they be able to get? The Rare games would be out of reach, right?

BriGuy

Can't say I really want an N64 mini. Sure, there's a handful of awesome N64 games, but a lot of the big hitters (OoT, Majora's Mask, Starfox 64) have vastly superior 3DS remakes, and the other stuff is already easily available elsewhere (Mario 64), didn't age well (GoldenEye), or wouldn't be able to be brought over because of licensing issues (Diddy Kong Racing, Conker, Perfect Dark).

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I hope none of these consoles end up effecting the titles that are released on the Switch in the future. I want me some portable N64 games.

Either way, this is cool – really hope Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is on here (GOAT platformer)

What would be the situation with having Goldeneye / certain RARE titles on here. Is there anything they can't touch?

I reckon the NES/SNES games will come next year, with the N64 ones coming in 2019 after the N64 mini is discontinued.

Nintendo already shat on microsoft when they wanted to release Goldeneye HD. Highly doubt Goldeneye will ever be re-released on any platform.

Well they will just have to get them really drunk

N64 mini without Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Banjo-Kazooie?

Eh, ok.

Minecraft on Switch, w Nintendo themes.

Cross-play w Xbox Live

There's a relationship there. Not saying it will happen, but there's a business relationship in place right now. Maybe they can work something out.

Unless they can get the Acclaim games (Turok, Forsaken) the essential Rare games (GE, PD, DKR, BK1-2, JFG, CBFD) on there, it's not really worth it for me. Let alone the fact that SNES games aged much much better in terms of optics over PS1/N64 games.

Yeah, I mean they could just throw the whole VC library and call it done but the prospect of an N64 classic seems odd when a lot of it's best games have ports or remakes, by Nintendo or Rare. They should so do Wonder Project or Custom Robo or maybe the F Zero Expansion Kit as a selling point.

N64 games have aged a heck of a lot better than most NES games.
There's enough for 15 or so N64 games without having to go out and license a lot of stuff.
Hopefully they make the analog stick with metal instead of plastic to help it last

While I'm not sure Nintendo would reach out, I'd imagine MS is ok with licensing 1 or two games for it.

Yeah, I mean they could just throw the whole VC library and call it done but the prospect of an N64 classic seems odd when a lot of it's best games have ports or remakes, by Nintendo or Rare. They should so do Wonder Project or Custom Robo or maybe the F Zero Expansion Kit as a selling point.

I mentioned it above, but I think Pokémon Stadium 1 or preferably 2 with support with the 3DS VC versions of R/B/Y/G/S (maybe even the original GBC copies if that could be at all possible?) would be a huge selling point.

OCD Guy

I didn't give a single shit about the nes and snes mini, but if they release an N64 I'll be there day one.

Please have diddy kong on there, and blast corps, oh and golden eye, and mario 64 and oh god so damn many hot games....

XandBosch

I think they could still put together a solid list, but it would have some glaring omissions unless they could really get some third parties involved. Besides the obvious Rare ones, what about Rogue Squadron? Cruisin' USA?

I think these are rather the icons for the Switch Virtual Console. Maybe not.

I hope you're wrong, simply because the Gamecube controller isn't one of the ones listed there :/

Ah heck yeah! Another "Classic" console that I won't have the motivation to buy. At least it should have Mario 64, Paper Mario, and Starfox 64!

woopWOOP

I'd buy one even if it was just first party Nintendo stuff. There's probably enough good things there for 15-20 games.

If they could get Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and/or Banjo Kazooie that'd be so damn rad tho

If they could get the Goemon games I'd be even more hyped

If they somehow could get the N64DD version of F-Zero X I'd be screaming, but I'm probably asking for too much here :V

Zalman

I mentioned it above, but I think Pokémon Stadium 1 or preferably 2 with support with the 3DS VC versions of R/B/Y/G/S (maybe even the original GBC copies if that could be at all possible?) would be a huge selling point.
If they actually manage to get Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2 on there I will take it even without Rare. But I doubt it considering the amount of work they would have to do.

Top Bottom