• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dana White: Floyd vs McGregor deal closing in coming days. Floyd $100 mil , Conor $75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like, some of ya'll realize how utterly massive Conor is on PPV right? Like he's among the biggest draws ever, including boxers.

Thinking Connor can beat mayweather is a real sucker's bet, even for people who don't watch much boxing. Connor has a punchers chance, and that's it. Of course, he would likely beat Mayweather pretty handily with UFC rules, because you gotta expect both of them are going to be much better at the sport they specialize in.

Well know if there is a Great white hope situation f the vegas odds get really weird.

It has nothing to do with odds. LOL It has everything to do with appealing to White fans to believe in a White guy who's doing "real" fighting will shut up this loud mouth, despicable undefeated Black fighter.

Sure its an element. It also won't be anywhere near the main driving factor in the buy rate.

You're wrong. I would argue the popularity of MMA has a lot to do with that in and of itself. Hence the amount of delusional fans who legitimately tried to argue that Rhonda Rousey could beat Mayweather. Or the fact Rousey was voted by the fans as Fighter of the Year on ESPN fighting tomato cans, in a Year where Mayweathter fought and defeated Pacquiao who's an all time great, future Hall of Famer, in the biggest PPV of all time.

And I'm sure he will have puff a lump gloves in the contract. Connor has a slim chance to land a damaging shot early on, but it will be another great technical bore that Floyd wins.

He won't fight aggressively enough to land that amount of shots. It will be great defense with enough punches to win on points.

You're rating Connor in a much newer sport in a shallower talent pool. Relativity is going to be a bitch. Connor won't even see the punches coming. And the punches you don't see have the most effect. The disparity in athleticism is huge. Mayweather will be able to hit Connor at will.

I don't follow boxing or MMA but why would he care how much the other guy is making? He's still making more.

Floyd is kinf of a not nice guy as he's a wife beater and is proudly all about the money. He's an amazing technical boxer though and hasn't been taken down. His fights always sell huge because of this. Everyone wants to see if it's finally his time. A lot of his fights are boring unless you're a boxing enthusiast because he out dances people and generally avoids being hit while getting his punches in. They're not slug feats. He's the draw here not McGregor. On top of this, MMA dudes make shit in comparison to big name pro boxers. McGregor could be paid fractions of this amount and it would still be a nice payday for him

Jerm411

Thinking Connor can beat mayweather is a real sucker's bet, even for people who don't watch much boxing. Connor has a punchers chance, and that's it. Of course, he would likely beat Mayweather pretty handily with UFC rules, because you gotta expect both of them are going to be much better at the sport they specialize in.

Well know if there is a Great white hope situation f the vegas odds get really weird.

I see this a lot and I don't believe it at all....Floyd took clean shots from Mosley, Maidana, etc. and didn't go down....we really think Conor hits harder than any of them?

Nah....

highrider

Banned
Floyd's been fighting world class BOXERS in a much deeper talent pool in a sports that's well over a century old.
And I'm sure he will have puff a lump gloves in the contract. Connor has a slim chance to land a damaging shot early on, but it will be another great technical bore that Floyd wins.

Floyd's been fighting guys who could box though.

He doesn't need a great deal of power when Conor is going to get hit with eleventy billion shots he doesn't see coming.

He won't fight aggressively enough to land that amount of shots. It will be great defense with enough punches to win on points.

IrishNinja

He would be lucky to be getting 25, let alone 75.

yeah, if this is somehow legit, it's a helluva payday for connor

So you would rather watch the worse of the two between them. Nice....

amen

Floyd isn't giving him that kind of split.

Floyd, Conor, and Dana/UFC haven't agreed on shit during this circus. One camp says one thing, the other says that's bullshit.

kinda betting on this too, we'll see how it pans out - i'd also be curious how much of his cut connor actually sees

Floyd hasn't needed to display knockout power for years.

fixed

Floyd's been fighting world class BOXERS in a much deeper talent pool in a sports that's well over a century old.

fuckin' thank you
i'm glad we're not back at "rousey could beat floyd!" levels bue still

a manny rematch is still the best money maker.

my dude that ship sailed a while back

I see this a lot and I don't believe it at all....Floyd took clean shots from Mosley, Maidana, etc. and didn't go down....we really think Conor hits harder than any of them?

Nah....

strong +1 here as well

guek

Banned
Be honest, would you take a boxing match you're essentially guaranteed to lose for $75M if you were Connor? At what dollar amount would it be worth it? No fighter likes to lose.

Manny's last PPV fight last November did like 300K ppv buys. His fight before that, a rubber match against Timothy Bradley, did 400K buys. He's fighting again in July. Did you know that? I bet most people didn't. He's done as a big time draw, especially against Floyd who tooled his ass the last time they fought, a fight that was universally panned by most viewers. Who the fuck realistically wants to see that again?

Conor, meanwhile, is averaging about 1 million PPV buys per fight for his last 4 fights. No boxer, even Floyd in 2017, is touching those numbers. He's the biggest MMA fighter in history and probably, right now, the most well known combat sports athlete on the planet. Yes, this fight is a fucking shit show, but that sells right now. It's more compelling than any fight FLoyd could make with a boxer right now. Regardless of how little of a chance we might think he has, people will tune in in droves.

Agreed. Floyd is a far superior boxer. But Conor hits harder, has a longer reach, and is a bigger man who outweighs him. Floyd will be smart and tactile, he's not going to get in a slugging match with Conor as that is by far McGregor's best path to victory.

Still a late TKO is possible, as Conor has suspect cardio and I could see him getting exhausted to the point he becomes a punching bag late in the fight.

highrider

Banned
It has nothing to do with odds. LOL It has everything to do with appealing to White fans to believe in a White guy who's doing "real" fighting will shut up this loud mouth, despicable undefeated Black fighter.

Naah. But please, continue to tell us about all white combat sports fans.

Be honest, would you take a boxing match you're essentially guaranteed to lose for $75M if you were Connor? No fighter likes to lose.

Yep Connor has nothing to lose. It's a win win for him. Not his sport, major underdog, big pay day.

jett

D-Member
I don't understand how can both of them earn that much. Are MMA and Boxing really that popular these days? I know this is a freakshow and everything, but still.

BadAss2961

It's not about respect, Floyd's a business man. No other matchup right now is going to net him $100 million+. Paq did not have as much leverage as Conor has. He was coming off a couple bad losses and had lost some of his luster. Conor is at the top of his game right now. The trainwreck factor is off the charts.
Floyd's about his business, but he's also got an ego. He's not trying to make Conor rich. Everything he's said and done tells you he wants to show everyone that he's he's the draw and everyone has to agree to his terms.

He'll want all the money while still giving Conor the biggest payday and schooling of his life, just to show how godlike he is. Then he can talk all the shit while everyone else is sonned.

Conor, meanwhile, is averaging about 1 million PPV buys per fight for his last 4 fights. He's the biggest MMA fighter in history and probably, right now, the most well known combat sports athlete on the planet. Yes, this fight is a fucking shit show, but that sells right now. It's more compelling than any fight FLoyd could make with a boxer right now. Regardless of how little of a chance we might think he has, people will tune in in droves.

It's acutally significantly higher. Conor's last 4 PPV's are estimated at, 1.5 million vs Alvarez, 1.7 million vs Diaz 2, 1.6 million vs Diaz 1, and 1.1 million vs Aldo.

He is an unbelievably big draw. Him vs Floyd is going to command some SERIOUS money

Floyd's about his business, but he's also got an ego. He's not trying to make Conor rich. Everything he's said and done tells you he wants to show everyone that he's he's the draw and everyone has to agree to his terms.

He'll want all the money while still giving Conor the biggest payday and schooling of his life, just to show how godlike he is. Then he talk all the shit while everyone else is sonned.

Why would he give a fuck about making Conor rich if he's going to be even richer. We are talking about $100 million pay day in one night. He's not getting that kind of money against any other boxer right now. You think Floyd is taking $40 million instead to fight Amir Khan or something just out of pride or spite?

It's acutally significantly higher. Conor's last 4 PPV's are estimated at, 1.5 million vs Alvarez, 1.7 million vs Diaz 2, 1.6 million vs Diaz 1, and 1.1 million vs Aldo.

He is an unbelievably big draw. Him vs Floyd is going to command some SERIOUS money

It'll shatter the PPV record. You have Conor bringing in his stable of MMA fans. You have Floyd bringing in the boxing fans. You have their personas and shit talking hyping up casual fans. You have people tuning in just for the trainwreck factor. It's gonna do insane numbers. There is going to be more than enough money to go around, and if like most people believe Conor really has no shot, for Floyd it's $100 million for a night of glorified sparring. And you guys think the guy who calls himself "Money" is going to care that Conor is going to make $75 mil?

Between the amount of people that were pissed at how the first fight went, and the fact Manny right now isn't particularly close to where he was a fighter the last time he faced Floyd, let alone where he was in his prime (which ended before that fight), no.

highrider

Banned
Agreed. Floyd is a far superior boxer. But Conor hits harder, has a longer reach, and is a bigger man who outweighs him. Floyd will be smart and tactile, he's not going to get in a slugging match with Conor as that is by far McGregor's best path to victory.

Still a late TKO is possible, as Conor has suspect cardio and I could see him getting exhausted to the point he becomes a punching bag late in the fight.

I think Connor is probably training with this in mind, and while I wouldn't rule out a late TKO it's unlikely imo. Floyd's hands are Sam Jackson unbreakable status. Earlier in his career he could definitely knock Connor out

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

He'll want all the money while still giving Conor the biggest payday and schooling of his life, just to show how godlike he is. Then he can talk all the shit while everyone else is sonned.
It's safer too, a lot of welterweights out there could legit give him problems based on their youth alone. He could probably make this same money fighting Thurman, but Thurman would also hurt him worse even if he won which isn't as guaranteed as it is he wins this fight

guek

Banned

I don't follow modern boxing at all. Is Floyd really that much of a dick

BadAss2961

Why would he give a fuck about making Conor rich if he's going to be even richer. We are talking about $100 million pay day in one night. He's not getting that kind of money against any other boxer right now. You think Floyd is taking $40 million instead to fight Amir Khan or something just out of pride or spite?
He's a notoriously tough negotiator. If there's $175 million on the table, he's not going to let Conor take 75 of that. He's going to want more, and there's no reason to believe he couldn't get it considering the kind of money Conor's used to fighting for.

It'll shatter the PPV record. You have Conor bringing in his stable of MMA fans. You have Floyd bringing in the boxing fans. You have their personas and shit talking hyping up casual fans. You have people tuning in just for the trainwreck factor. It's gonna do insane numbers. There is going to be more than enough money to go around, and if like most people believe Conor really has no shot, for Floyd it's $100 million for a night of glorified sparring. And you guys think the guy who calls himself "Money" is going to care that Conor is going to make $75 mil?

Agree 100% and I think that's why Floyd really won't care about giving Conor a big split. They will both make a fortune, and this is literally the only fight out there that can give Floyd one last gigantic payday before he sails off into the sunset. He will obviously want the bigger portion of the purse but I highly doubt he will be so stingy with the purse that it puts the fight in jeopardy.

Floyd is well aware how giant of a fight this is in terms of pay, and he's going to make sure it happens.
He's a notoriously tough negotiator. If there's $175 million on the table, he's not going to let Conor take 75 of that. He's going to want more, and there's no reason to believe he couldn't get it considering the kind of money Conor's used to fighting for.

You have to keep in mind this is legit Floyd's last shot at a giant payday. His last fight, frankly did poorly on PPV, and this fight will be against one of the biggest draws in combat sports history. There is no other fighter that can give him a $100 million dollar payday right now other than McGregor. He will give Conor $75 if it means he can make $100+ to retire off of

Anth0ny

it should be way higher if they get a % of the gate and/or ppv revenue

this shit will be second in ppv buys only to mayweather/pacquiao. it's gonna be INSANE.

Naah. But please, continue to tell us about all white combat sports fans.

You're saying that as if there isn't a history here in America about that. LOL

I think Connor is probably training with this in mind, and while I wouldn't rule out a late TKO it's unlikely imo. Floyd's hands are Sam Jackson unbreakable status. Earlier in his career he could definitely knock Connor out

The problem is you're not factoring in stamina in a 12 round, 3 minute round fight; Floyd's speed, quickness and fast hands, pin point accuracy, and Connor's lack of defense and overall slowness.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

Oh give me a break. Most white combat sports fans I know loathe McGregor for being a "loud mouth", and I don't know a single one that think he has a chance in this fight or wants him to win.

I am in Canada though

Brinbe

PBF laughing to the bank once again. Gets another hundred mil and goes out with that 50-0. Conor getting paid too though, so he couldn't care less if he takes the L. Retire off that shit and tell Dana to shove it.

In the end, it'll be a huge draw and the carny levels will be through the roof. Be jealous, Vince.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm waiting for all the people bitching about the fight the day after as everyone vents about it not living up to the hype.

Switch Back 9

I would let either one of them beat the absolute shit out of me on live TV for 1/10th of what Connor is getting paid.

dbztrk

All this money just watch people beat the shit out of each other.

Kinda sad to think what positives that money could be used for instead.

sfedai0

Banned
UFC say goodbye to your golden goose. Dont see Connor coming back to the UFC to fight for what amounts to peanuts and possible injure himself.

Oh give me a break. Most white combat sports fans I know loathe McGregor for being a "loud mouth", and I don't know a single one that think he has a chance in this fight or wants him to win.

I am in Canada though

Floyd's entire career has been built on taking the fact that large parts of this country hate "cocky black athletes", dating back to Jack Johnson, Muhammad Ali, hell the reason Apollo Creed was created, turning it on it's head, using it to his advantage to get millions of people to shell out $60-100 to watch a guy they hate, fight in a style they hate. Race is absolutely a factor. How much it will be a factor in a matchup with Conor? I don't know.

KissVibes

Banned
Conor collects on $75 million and stunts for the rest of his days, going down as the most successful mixed martial artist of all goddamn time.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
All this money just watch people beat the shit out of each other.

Kinda sad to think what positives that money could be used for instead.

Like you wouldn't spend a $1000 bucks to watch Trump fight a grown male lion with his bare hands.

I can't see any reason why Conor will ever return to the UFC after this. He'll make more during this one fight than he will in his entire UFC career. This is a retirement fight, which makes sense because he just started a family.

highrider

Banned
You're saying that as if there isn't a history here in America about that. LOL

The problem is you're not factoring in stamina in a 12 round, 3 minute round fight; Floyd's speed, quickness and fast hands, pin point accuracy, and Connor's lack of defense and overall slowness.

Speed, accuracy, pinpoint precision, and hits about as hard as a jelly doughnut.

Switch Back 9

Floyd's entire career has been built on taking the fact that large parts of this country hate "cocky black athletes", dating back to Jack Johnson, Muhammad Ali, hell the reason Apollo Creed was created, turning it on it's head, using it to his advantage to get millions of people to shell out $60-100 to watch a guy they hate, fight in a style they hate. Race is absolutely a factor. How much it will be a factor in a matchup with Conor? I don't know.

Yeah that's a fair point. I'm purely talking anecdotally from a personal social circle. Everyone I know hates McGregor and can't wait to see him lose.

3N16MA

Banned
I can't see any reason why Conor will ever return to the UFC after this. He'll make more during this one fight than he will in his entire UFC career. This is a retirement fight, which makes sense because he just started a family.

Setup a 3rd fight with Nate.

Nate seems to be sitting around waiting for the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom