• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake - The First 12 Minutes (German)

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm really sick of the
person is driving at night and runs over someone standing on the middle of the lane
trope that keeps popping up in horror movies.

Phaethon0017 said:
Seriously, this game looks even better than it did last time I saw it. I don't understand the hate. Day one for me.

Strangely enough, I also think the game looks awesome, but I understand the hate completely . . .

scently

For those concerned about textures and what not,

you should consider the resolution of the video

and the compression on it.

Chairman Yang said:
I'm really sick of the
person is driving at night and runs over someone standing on the middle of the lane
trope that keeps popping up in horror movies.

Well, it is abused, but the excuse here is quite clever.

It is a horror writer's nightmare. Thus, it follows a stereotypical pattern. He even says it.

And the enemy follows down the line with his speech.

shinnn

The lipsync is not the best but the characters are so vivid.. full of emotions.

Really liked it. The last scene with Sarah is top notch.

Saw the 2nd vid..game looks incredible. :D

dread9 said:
Lighting is amazing, am I the only one a bit disappointed though? I expected much much more and it seems like they are using a lot more "tricks" to increase the feeling of scope and scale. I watched this while playing God of War 3 and it just didn't compare really.

I think Blim and another person responded to you accordingly, but I just had to bump this and commend you on what I think is the absolute funniest troll attempt in this thread. :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
bj00rn_ said:
The game looks very promising indeed, great visuals too (although I spotted some minor flaws). But I don't agree with you that "THIS GAME IS FUCKING PERFECT! HOLY SHIT YES!". F.ex., I have some worries about the way the game is introduced with some suspense/progression issues. But of course; I'm not making a final judgement from a 10 minute youtube video.

Your sarcasm meter is broken.

Pistolero

Regarding the second ten minutes : The texture work is top notch (remedy for you), but the models really low-poly (excusable, given the scope). Also, the facial animations during cutscenes are quite underwhelming, imo. The overall package is great, still, and I don't know why I got a Shenmue vibe when Alan entered the cafe...

Not gonna lie, LE version is tempting. That's a lot of extras for $20.

* Game Disc in box with unique art
* Exclusive In-Game Audio Commentary and Hints by Remedy
* “The Alan Wake Files” – a 144pg book that includes a short story written by Alan Wake and compiles the FBI dossiers investigating the events in Bright Falls, WA
* Exclusive Audio Disc with Soundtrack and Score
* Game Add-on token redeemable on Xbox LIVE for the first Alan Wake add-on content pack
* Exclusive Xbox disc with special content: Alan Wake Xbox Live Theme and Alan Wake Avatar for Xbox LIVE

Do i have special permission from the Unholy Consortium of Space Time and Computer Snobbery, to purchase this game for my Xbox 360?

ghostmind

zero margin said:
Not gonna lie, LE version is tempting. That's a lot of extras for $20.

* Game Disc in box with unique art
* Exclusive In-Game Audio Commentary and Hints by Remedy
* “The Alan Wake Files” – a 144pg book that includes a short story written by Alan Wake and compiles the FBI dossiers investigating the events in Bright Falls, WA
* Exclusive Audio Disc with Soundtrack and Score
* Game Add-on token redeemable on Xbox LIVE for the first Alan Wake add-on content pack
* Exclusive Xbox disc with special content: Alan Wake Xbox Live Theme and Alan Wake Avatar for Xbox LIVE

I took the plunge for the LE... there is quite a bit of content here, compared to a lot of LE's these days.

a0037809_4bc9115070e08.jpg

a0037809_4bc91154770cb.jpg

a0037809_4bc9115b3403f.jpg

a0037809_4bc911618f6db.jpg

G_Berry

Banned
In those pics it has a similar look to GTA IV.

Edit: Interesting the res is so low and AA so high. Lighting engine must be hard core.

Ranger X

Wow, I tried to resist but finally looked at the first stream...

I am more than sold. My reaction is:

Resident Evil am cry. I will buy Alan Wake day one!

While playing Alan Wake on a Xbox 360, if the game framerate drops below 30 FPS we resort to screen tearing (same idea as Gears of War uses).

such a shit res and the game will still have screentearing?! what a joke.

DMPrince said:
i thought it was suppose to be native 720p?

someone lied!

You can tell by just glancing at the screens that the game is way below 720p, the one shot of Alice in front of the truck is a little too reminiscent of Max Payne 2. From showcase title for Intel's quad core processors to 547p, for shame. Game still looks neat though.

feel

Like you guys would be able to tell the difference. Xbox integrated upscaler will do its job well as usual and noone will care after they start playing.

Letters said:
Like you guys would be able to tell the difference. Xbox integrated upscaler will do its job well as usual and noone will care after they start playing.
If they've played nothing but 360 games then yeah, they won't notice.

MazingerDUDE said:
http://pds17.egloos.com/pds/201004/17/09/a0037809_4bc9115070e08.jpg

[IMG]http://pds16.egloos.com/pds/201004/17/09/a0037809_4bc91154770cb.jpg

[IMG]http://pds17.egloos.com/pds/201004/17/09/a0037809_4bc9115b3403f.jpg

[IMG]http://pds17.egloos.com/pds/201004/17/09/a0037809_4bc911618f6db.jpg[/QUOTE]

what the [i]fuck[/i]

and i don't mean that in the way that you assholes probably assume. you guys need to reevaluate your hobby.

well this random article was a good read.. :lol

http://www.vgarabia.com/2010/04/16/multiplatform-engines-didnt-do-the-xbox360-justice/

Alan Wake not just raising the bar for Xbox360 in term of visuals, it’s raising the bar for this whole generation. Technically and artistically, Alan Wake is shaping up to be the best looking game this generation. From the real-time projected shadows produced by the essential flashlight, the total absence of aliasing (720p 4x FSAA), the breathtaking realistic lighting effects (the best I have ever seen), the epic scale of the environments, SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion), the atmospheric effects to the vegetation which interacts with characters and wind, and the absent of screen tearing. Truly impressive stuff.

then this
The best thing Sony did this gen is they let their first party devs to create games with one thing in mind: Taking full advantage of the PS3 power. That’s why we have been seeing PS3 exclusives looking better than Xbox360 games. Things are about to change now, as we are seeing games such as Alan Wake equaling or surpassing PS3 exclusives in term of visuals. And the most impressive thing is: Alan Wake is running on a $199 console with limited storage capacity (DVD9). It will be interesting to see what does Sony have up their sleeve at the upcoming E3.

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=68521&postcount=10

The game is 720p. Those screenshots are based off footage captured at 960x540 like cocorenut pointed out, of course there will be some downsampling involved.

As has said before Videogameszone and Gamepro both released footage without approval and due to the fact that we don't know how many compressions their videos went through or what process they took it's best not to use those videos as sources.

note: this was posted by the community manager not (as far as i can tell) a dev

So there's a chance it might be 600p? that's good still. Let me leave. I'll get this game in a few months when it's $30. No point in me buying the game day 1 when i'm not even going to play it.

GreekWolf

DMPrince said:
If they've played nothing but 360 games then yeah, they won't notice

DMPrince said:
So there's a chance it might be 600p? that's good still. Let me leave. I'll get this game in a few months when it's $30
Well done, soldier. Your check's in the mail. :lol

feel

DMPrince said:
Wii gamers won't notice, most ps3 games don't look much sharper, and I've heard not a single pc gamer will buy this game due to raaaaaage.
And it will be upscaled by the hardware up to 1080p, even if it's not the same, it does a decent enough job at making it look sharp.
WickedLaharl said:
how in the hell could you not notice unless you're playing on an sdtv or partially blind? :lol
Ok, it will be noticeable, but not a big deal to most people.

Yikes, 5 years in the making and they couldn't even manage 720p or no screen tearing? =/

It still looks absolutely fantastic, just like Conviction so I don't mind, just disappointing in principle.

Rat Salad

Banned
DMPrince said:

Somehow I think you were part of the SDF that defended junk like Haze and Lair so maybe you should close the mouth and sell off those turds before speaking about a console's userbase. The 360 already has a game that one upped the PS3 but some of you wouldn't know about since you either have no pc to play the game on or want no business with a great console like the 360. Its name is Metro 2033,try it before running with the mouth about the 360.

JRW

I think the screen tearing is more of an issue than the lower res. God I hate screen tearing.

Rat Salad said:
Somehow I think you were part of the SDF that defended junk like Haze and Lair so maybe you should close the mouth and sell off those turds before speaking about a console's userbase. The 360 already has a game that one upped the PS3 but some of you wouldn't know about since you either have no pc to play the game on or want no business with a great console like the 360. Its name is Metro 2033,try it before running with the mouth about the 360.

Im sorry but that last statement is flat out silly... Metro 2033 sure as hell does not 'one up' GoW 3 or Uncharted 2 in either... you are of course entitled to your opinion, but think it is simply incorrect. Even on PC (which I have and looks nicer than 360 version) I don't believe it

And Alan Wake looks a lot nicer than Metro in my opinion..

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm really looking forward to this game. Aside from the first part of the Siren remake on PSN, I haven't played a real survival horror game this gen. I expect this to be really good.
My only complaint is that it comes out the same day as Red Dead Redemption, that's too much awesome for one day.

Pistolero

Somehow I think you were part of the SDF that defended junk like Haze and Lair so maybe you should close the mouth and sell off those turds before speaking about a console's userbase

Yes !

The 360 already has a game that one upped the PS3 but some of you wouldn't know about

Maybe...let's see !

since you either have no pc to play the game on or want no business with a great console like the 360. Its name is Metro 2033,try it before running with the mouth about the 360.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO ! You were almost there. Next candidate...

Kenak said:
Didn't you know? This is NeoGAF, land where you can say whatever you want about a game with little backup as long as it's positive. Dare you say a game is lacking without a 12 page single spaced times new roman font thesis paper explaining how and why, else you are a troll. And if you are too critical, even with the thesis, you're still a troll if it's exclusive.

Criticising stuff pre-release is a no go on GAF nowadays.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What the hell are you people talking about.
This is an Alan Wake thread, PS3 and PC have nothing to do with it.
It's like someone making a thread about Chicken and you're all talking about Beef. Go away.

I would think that people would wait until a relatively trusted third party source and authority on the subject, like Digital Foundry, has weighed in to jump all over Remedy for their damned dirty lies that make the game unplayable and unworthy of a decent review score...

As long as the game looks good and is ambitious artistically and/or technically, the whole '720p/1080p or bust' resolution thing on current consoles seems so completely overblown. Guess what? This gen hasn't lived up to its promises made at the very beginning. We know that know, after almost five years, that it's just a matter of compromise given the expectations on each new big release and every day the five year old hardware stays the same. Ripping into random developers for not living up to something almost no one on current consoles is seems pointless and tiring. More important issues that detract from the experience, like distracting screen tearing or framerate issues during gameplay should seem to be more of a real concern...but that's me, anyway.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Rat Salad said:
:lol

Snuggler said:
What the hell are you people talking about.
This is an Alan Wake thread, PS3 and PC have nothing to do with it.
It's like someone making a thread about Chicken and you're all talking about Beef. Go away.

Explode chicken's are fed with beef hormones.

Top Bottom