• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has 5 types of Battle Mode and new amiibo outfits

Dystify

There's new PR images from Nintendo Poland that confirm 5 types of Battle Mode in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

C2thSH5WgAAmskg.jpg

Shine Runners or Shine Thief – Coin Rush – Balloon Battle – Bob-omb Blast – New Piranha Plant mode

It also shows new amiibo costumes from the game.

Qk9eCfX.jpg

Source.

Piranha plant mode sounds really fun if it consists of just constantly holding onto piranha plants and trying to get behind other karts.

Huh I thought there was no Mii option in the character select. Guess that was just for the demo.

Yeah it was curious, they had Miis in the track select screen but not as playable characters. Makes me wonder if there are any other characters in this game they haven't revealed yet.

udivision

Oh right yeah, I figured that was random select...

I did too... and now I remember there is no random select and "?" denotes characters that haven't been unlocked yet but I haven't seen Mario Kart without all the characters unlocked since 2015.

Richie

Lol at the Yoshi amiibo photobombing Mario.

Great, great news. If there aren't gonna be new racing tracks, it's a silver lining that they're gonna go for broke on the battle mode.

The new amiibo outfits are Splatoon Girl and Wario, right? Isabelle's is the same as the Villager's if I'm not mistaken...

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Shine Runners hit me right in the feels.

Nothing I enjoyed more than playing MK: Double Dash battle mode.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's so weird to see games still gace Miis if Miiverse isn't gonna be a thing anymore.

Miis existed before Miiverse and they'll keep on existing beyond Miiverse.

For you, Miiverse was the most important service of your life, but for Miis, it was Tuesday.

I know this game hasn't had a great reaction but it's one of my most anticipated Switch games. Mario Kart 8 is one of the finest games I've ever played and I can't wait to take it anywhere and put numerous hours into the new battle modes. Wonder how they'll handle Battle mode online? Random modes or different lobbys?

bigmac996

Is anyone else perplexed why Nintendo tends to shy away from multi-leveled arenas like Block Fort? The ramps and vertical aspects really add a new layer of depth to battle. I'm kinda put off by all the more classic flat maps.

cyba89

The definite version of the best Mario Kart. What is there even to improve upon in a Mario Kart 9? Don't think the Switch could push far better visuals because MK8 already looks great.

Would be logical for this to be the end line for the traditional Mario Kart series with the next entry being a full "Nintendo All-Stars Kart".
Although the brand name for Mario Kart is still far too strong to just abandon it.

JoeM86

Is anyone else perplexed why Nintendo tends to shy away from multi-leveled arenas like Block Fort? The ramps and vertical aspects really add a new layer of depth to battle. I'm kinda put off by all the more classic flat maps.

The one I played at the Switch event last week had multiple levels. It was a Luigi's Mansion stage.

I think the Splatoon one is multi-levelled too

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Any news about a Wii U patch?

Mr-Joker

Banned
More proof that Nintendo were never going to drop Mii and anyone thinking or wishing other wise were fooling themselves.

It's so weird to see games still have Miis if Miiverse isn't gonna be a thing anymore.

As stated many times Mii are now big enough to be separated from the Wii, Miiverse, etc and are pretty much their own IP akin to Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc.

It's just that they also happen to be multi functional as they are used as avatar because that is their primary function.

bigmac996

The one I played at the Switch event last week had multiple levels. It was a Luigi's Mansion stage.

I think the Splatoon one is multi-levelled too

Wait really? I'm definitely misinformed then, my bad. All I've seen was footage of flat maps with some slight raised structures to jump over.

Thanks for clarifying, getting hyped again!

Oregano

I know this game hasn't had a great reaction but it's one of my most anticipated Switch games. Mario Kart 8 is one of the finest games I've ever played and I can't wait to take it anywhere and put numerous hours into the new battle modes. Wonder how they'll handle Battle mode online? Random modes or different lobbys?

Yup being able to take it on the go is going to be so awesume.

The definite version of the best Mario Kart. What is there even to improve upon in a Mario Kart 9? Don't think the Switch could push far better visuals because MK8 already looks great.

Would be logical for this to be the end line for the traditional Mario Kart series with the next entry being a full "Nintendo All-Stars Kart".
Although the brand name for Mario Kart is still far too strong to just abandon it.

Two words: Mission Mode

Bamboo 竹;228821299 said:
No Battle Mode at all.

Oh, well that's a sha--

It did on the previous version it just added in NPC's should be the same for this. Would be dumb ifnot bots are easy to make these days.

--wait, so MK8 does allow you to play with bots/NPCs? I'm assuming if MK8 did, then this will as well, even though the Battle Mode is (ahem) switched up.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Awesome.

The new easy mode, preventing newbies from falling/leaving track, makes this Mario Kart an even better party game. No need to wait 2 minutes for someone terrible cross the finish line.

Top Bottom