• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fist of The North Star (Hokuto ga Gotoku) - 3 minutes of gameplay (TGS)

Searched but couldn't find a thread.

https://youtu.be/spsFVhhxpDs

Here are some details about the PlaySpots in the game thanks to Gematsu:
Hyahhaa Rally
Hokuto-ga-Gotoku_Official_09-21-17_010.jpg

You can explore the wasteland outside of Eden by riding a buggy. By collecting various materials, you can customize and upgrade your buggy. By upgrading your buggy, its exploration range will also expand. However, be aware of the dangerous outlaws that have formed factions and may attack. Also, by participating in rally races held in the wasteland, you can get various rewards.

Bartender Ken
Hokuto-ga-Gotoku_Official_09-21-17_011.jpg

A mini-game where Kenshiro becomes a bartender and serves customers. Skillfully serve up alcohol in response to the situation and problems of the various customers that show up at the bar.

Death Batting
Hokuto-ga-Gotoku_Official_09-21-17_012.jpg

A mini-game you can play at an old baseball field in the wasteland. Using an iron pole, hit a home run using the bike-riding scoundrels that come your way as balls. This is the Fist of the North Star version of the batting cages.

Kenshiro Clinic
Hokuto-ga-Gotoku_Official_09-21-17_013.jpg

Kenshiro wears a white robe and cures people by way of “pressure point treatment.” This is a rhythm action-style mini-game. Press the buttons with good timing to skillfully treat the patient. However, some of the patients that come to the clinic are scoundrels. In order to keep the peace in Eden, their “treatment” is necessary.

Black Suit Kenshiro
Hokuto-ga-Gotoku_Official_09-21-17_014.jpg

The “Nightclub” is a symbol of Eden’s nightlife and one of its greatest amusement facilities. At this nightclub, Kenshiro will don the black suit. Protect the nightclub’s proceeds and public order until the very end. Deal with customers who get drunk and act violently in a way that only Kenshiro can.

Sega Mark III (Sega Master System) Version of Hokuto no Ken
Hokuto-ga-Gotoku_Official_09-21-17_015.jpg

When exploring the wasteland, you can excavate a “Game Machine and Game Cabinet,” relics of the civilization of the old world. By taking the excavated game back to Eden, you can play it. In Hokuto ga Gotoku, you can play the Sega Mark III version of the 1986-released side-scrolling action game Hokuto no Ken.

Thread will already be locked if old.

Not feeling the combat

salromano

Never cared for Fist of the North Star (or really knew anything about) but this game has me hyped and learning more. Can't wait. :3

forrest

formerly nacire
Fresh produce is plentiful in the post apocalyptic wasteland.

Looks great, can't wait to see more!

yeah, the combat seems pretty disappointing. was hoping for the same level of variety Yakuza offered. Seems like we're getting dynasty warriors.

Tizoc

Never cared for Fist of the North Star (or really knew anything about) but this game has me hyped and learning more. Can't wait. :3

The anime is up on Crunchyroll if you want some fun 80s swoled up Mad Max action and absurdity.

_Ryo_

So, will "Ga Gotoku" Become a general term for Yakuza clones like Musou is for Dynasty Warrior games ? If so, I am super okay with that.

Bebop Ga Gotoku WHEN?

Jimrpg

This looks amazing!!!! Loving the look of the game and all the cool Yakuza team touches like the mini games.

Day 1
in the West :(

forrest

formerly nacire
RMkcA3p.jpg

Well Eden likely is a place that has the most survival resources etc. available in one place.

Haha, yup totally noted the name of the city.

I'll be honest, my exposure to Fist of the North Star was in the 90's when I was in high school and it was just the movie. I know...I know...

But, I absolutely loved it and have been a fan since. In the movie, which I assume isn't too far from the show, plants are extremely scarce and the rarity is even a focal point. The giant bins of brightly colored fruit and produce just caught me off guard a bit!

I really hope this is good, because I've always thought the series would make a great game and I wasn't particularly impressed with the reviews for Ken's Rage.

Sidenote: I actually had Last Battle on Genesis before even knowing what Fist was. That game was hard as balls.

NeonZ

yeah, the combat seems pretty disappointing. was hoping for the same level of variety Yakuza offered. Seems like we're getting dynasty warriors.

The movement and general attack system seem clearly like a flashier Yakusa and nothing like DW. It's hard to say anything about variety from a video like that though.

For those who's not feeling the combat, what do you expect. Looks like Yakuza combat to me with all the dodging and heat action. It look nothing like dynasty warrior combat.

lupinko

I don't really like how every character just fades into a black silhouette when they die. Are there ragdolls?

It's because of CERO...

Japanese censorship.

...but it's also a nod to the 80s anime that I'm pretty sure most of the Sega staff grew up with and are fond of.

At least it's red to black rather than the 80s TV series (which was sorta made for kids/preteens at the time) that was red to white.

For those who's not feeling the combat, what do you expect. Looks like Yakuza combat to me with all the dodging and heat action. It look nothing like dynasty warrior combat.

It's actually quite fitting. Ken wouldn't have long drawn out fights with those goons, he'd spend max 1 second per enemy and it seems like you can easily dispatch enemies with a few strikes into the OMAE WA MOU SHINDEIRU.

Plus in heat mode he'll have some insane badassery plus verticality. The combat really does look fun.
...but it's also a nod to the 80s anime that I'm pretty sure most of the Sega staff grew up with and are fond of.

At least it's red to black rather than the 80s TV series (which was sorta made for kids/preteens at the time) that was red to white.
Yes, this too. Works out well me thinks.

Forward

Sidenote: I actually had Last Battle on Genesis before even knowing what Fist was. That game was hard as balls.

I KNEW about Fist back then, but did not know about the second story arc.

So even though the similarities were absolutely striking (zing), Last Battle seemed more like a cheap rip-off clone.

But it was a cheap rip-off clone that I bought and paid for as a kid, with what little money I had, so I got damned good at it. I could beat it every time. But yeah, damn, it was hard - even by Genesis standards. It was a member of Team O.G. One-Life.

Mupod

Oh god the nightclub thing looks like Yakuza 0's Cabaret Club management. I'd probably get this just for that if it has the depth of that minigame + added goofiness from this setting.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is the head exploding thing still going to be cool when it happens every 2 seconds? I haven't seen the anime so maybe it's constantly happening there too?

Eh, combat looks like it's gonna be boring after a while. The special moves/counters look cool but for how long?

I mean, Yakuza game has already pushed my patient with a much fewer enemies count.

And in this game, we're going to deal with way more enemies at once with the same combat. Similar, perhaps, as it looks flashier.

mindatlarge

Will buy this in a heartbeat if it makes it west.

If it doesn't, I'll probably import it. Hope there's an Asian English release at least.

Combat is super basic because that's how Yakuza games start out. Once you start unlocking moves, things open up drastically. Dodges, counters, etc. His super mode looks like he can cancel from his flips into moves and OTG dudes easy breezy. So I'm not particularly worried considering all Yakuza games have you unlocking more in the toolkit.

Endo Punk

One of my favourite anime's and the game being made by the Yakuza team is a match made in heaven. Couldn't be more serious about a day 1 purchase and I hope it gets a western release.

Top Bottom